• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Dead Man

Platy said:
That thread (and specialy the other) makes me feel that there is a need for the mods to specify more in the rules what "anti-transgendered remarks" are ....
Maybe, but I don't think just using the word once results in a ban, so they have an opportunity learn WHY, rather than just what. I think if no one ever uses the offensive words for groups, you lose the opportunity to explain why they are offensive. I know there is a contradiction there in that the goal is for no one to use them. I think it is resolved by saying no one should use them because they know they are offensive, not just because they are on a list of words.

But if others feel differently, I understand that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Since my plans had gone out the window after being laid off/unemployed/fighting for house/family obligations i found myself once again looking for an online pharmacy. With how my financials are currently and with my age becoming an issue if i delay things further, i couldnt resist ordering this time. i know its not good but i dont think i can stand things much more as they are. ive already given up smoking cigarettes, started eating healthier, and have been losing weight in anticipation of going through the proper channels so at least i have that. Oh well.

Amalthea

Banned
water_wendi said:
Wow.. thats a very touching story.

Hmmm.. i dont really have much to contribute. Standard story stuffs for me.. figured out stuff way too late (agewise.. not in regards to relationships so im kind of fortunate in that regard i think).. but better late than never. Even went through the hyper-masculine phase where i really tried to deny who i was :lol Glad that didnt last long!

My plans kind of hit the skids when i lost my job though. Been out of work so long i had to dip into my therapy/surgery money. Oh wells, ive waited 30 years.. another year or two isnt going to kill me. The urge to self-medicate is very strong though.. but ive had a couple friends that went that route and they are no longer here so.. yea, not going down that road. At least thats what i tell myself when im thinking clearly :lol

Anyway.. hihi :D

Listen to your past self!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Huh.. imagine that. What a difference a year makes. Honestly i think im at the point where i dont care if being who i am kills me.

lexi

Banned
I'm of two or three minds about that Pakistan thing.

1. I think considering it's Pakistan, it's a massive step forward.
2. The notion of a '3rd' gender is also prevalent in other cultures, Thailand, Native Indians, various other tribal cultures, we westerners see it and wouldn't accept that in our own circumstances. That's cool.
3. I've heard Pakistan employs transgender people as tax collectors, because people are 'shamed' when one shows up at their house collecting money. That's pretty fucked up.

To water_wendi: If you self med, which I would recommend not doing, but if you absolutely have to, you can work with a GP to ensure you're not going to give yourself a blood clot or something.

Assuming you're not American that is, where seeing a GP would be the rest of the world equivalent of seeing a wizard whose magic power is getting money out of you.

So, I had my first stint at a psychiatric ward. >_> Back on the 12th I swallowed a bottle of caffeine pills and ended up being in a coma for a week or so. I was in the CCU (coronary care unit) for a few days after and then the psychiatric ward until today. It ended up being a good experience, and I am on some better psych medications as a result (Xanax and Cymbalta). I made some (non-Trans) friends and met some interesting people. I am feeling a lot better now. :) Hopefully you all have been doing much better than I have.

I "nuked" my laptop beforehand, so I have the joy of reformatting it. -_-

Hey guys, just popped in to ask a question: Is there a recognized sign/ symbol for LGBT support? e.g. AIDS and cancer use the 'ribbon' symbol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PumpkinPie said:
Hey guys, just popped in to ask a question: Is there a recognized sign/ symbol for LGBT support? e.g. AIDS and cancer use the 'ribbon' symbol.

There's also the pink/black triangles, though I think those are apparently kind of gauche now.

Platy

ninj4junpei said:
I prefer the purple/blue one, it makes the most sense.

Like a Gradient ?

But the idea of using purple is because it is a mix of blue and pink ....

Also, everything gets better with purple

Nishastra

Banned
firehawk12 said:
The one on wikipedia is a gradient from purple to blue.
9tLwK.png

Got pinkness too.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I always use lavender as the signature trans color.

Mostly because I heard the association once, and I like lavender so it gives an excuse to wear it. :)

Platy said:
Like a Gradient ?

But the idea of using purple is because it is a mix of blue and pink ....

Also, everything gets better with purple
I meant pink/blue. >_<

I think the symbol needs an update, since it still kind of enforces the whole girls = pink and boys = blue. I like blue damn it! However, it certainly looks nice and gets the point across.

Stellares

ninj4junpei said:
I meant pink/blue. >_<

I think the symbol needs an update, since it still kind of enforces the whole girls = pink and boys = blue. I like blue damn it! However, it certainly looks nice and gets the point across.

I think the idea of the one symbol that incorporates both gender icons is to show that the color pink or blue is not gender specific.

Platy

To be more accurate purple is a mix of cyan and magenta, not blue and pink =3

That in the "light color" color system, of course

gerg

ninj4junpei said:
I meant pink/blue. >_<

Not to be a contrarian or a party pooper, but I think it looks awful. The circle in the centre is far too big compared to the other elements of the design, so the whole thing looks unbalanced. It also seems overly complicated - why not just isolate the element to the top left (the arrow with a line through it and ending in a circle) and rotate it to a degree between the current symbols for "male" and "female"?

Dead Man

gerg said:
Not to be a contrarian or a party pooper, but I think it looks awful. The circle in the centre is far too big compared to the other elements of the design, so the whole thing looks unbalanced. It also seems overly complicated - why not just isolate the element to the top left (the arrow with a line through it and ending in a circle) and rotate it to a degree between the current symbols for "male" and "female"?
My Pshop skills are terrible, but something like this?

pAF06.png

gerg

Dead Man said:
My Pshop skills are terrible, but something like this?

pAF06.png

Pretty much, but I'd make the different components more even - I'd make the circle smaller, and the width of the line equal to the diameter of the circle, for example. (I'd also make the "width" of the arrowhead even to the diameter of the circle, too.)

Although, looking up the male and female sex symbols, they do seem to have overly big circles - your design would blend in more with them, then.

Edit: Oh, and unless it is at the moment (and I just didn't realise it), I'd put the bar at the mid-point of the arrowhead and the circle.

Dead Man

gerg said:
Pretty much, but I'd make the different components more even - I'd make the circle smaller, and the width of the line equal to the diameter of the circle, for example. (I'd also make the "width" of the arrowhead even to the diameter of the circle, too.)

Although, looking up the male and female sex symbols, they do seem to have overly big circles - your design would blend in more with them, then.

Edit: Oh, and unless it is at the moment (and I just didn't realise it), I'd put the bar at the mid-point of the arrowhead and the circle.
Yeah, good suggestions, I just don't have the skill to do it!

gerg said:
Certainly there are enough graphic designers in the TG community that something even better looking could be made. I still like it as is, however.

Update: I just got called "mam" on the phone while calling a Gamestop. XD My voice is still hoarse (from the hospital) and I wasn't even trying. Then again, the same thing happened to me once when I was younger. o_O

lexi

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Certainly there are enough graphic designers in the TG community that something even better looking could be made. I still like it as is, however.

Update: I just got called "mam" on the phone while calling a Gamestop. XD My voice is still hoarse (from the hospital) and I wasn't even trying. Then again, the same thing happened to me once when I was younger. o_O

You know you're doing well when this occurs and you're not even trying.

gerg

: O

It's... beautiful.

Edit: My last really small nitpick would be to make the thickness of all the lines the same, but I feel mean even mentioning it.

NewGamePlus said:
Eh, I'm not really a fan. Seems kind of 'othering'...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "othering".

mollipen

NewGamePlus said:
Eh, I'm not really a fan. Seems kind of 'othering'...

To be honest, I'm not either, as I don't like the whole male / female symbols in the first place. However, my desire to see things done properly if they're going to be done won out over my opinion on the symbol. *laughs*

gerg said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "othering".
I mean like most trans people are still men and women. That symbol alone like that seems to put us in a third category separate from men and women. Where as I don't really feel all three together as one does, but maybe that is just how I feel.

Dead Man

shidoshi said:
To be honest, I'm not either, as I don't like the whole male / female symbols in the first place. However, my desire to see things done properly if they're going to be done won out over my opinion on the symbol. *laughs*
Sorry...
NewGamePlus said:
I mean like most trans people are still men and women. That symbol alone like that seems to put us in a third category separate from men and women. Where as I don't really feel all three together as one does, but maybe that is just how I feel.
Interesting point. I can see where you are coming from.

gerg

NewGamePlus said:

What is the third arrow on the other logo if not to represent transgender people?

I think that any logo created specifically for the transgender community inherently "other"-fies the transgender community by specifically being made for the transgender community. But, if you're going to have one you may as well do it in style.

I'd say the same thing about "gay pride", too. Gay pride marches are an inherently heteronormative action, in my mind, and hopefully there will be a time when society moves away from such a centrepoint to the degree that being "proud" of being gay is seen as just as silly as being proud of being straight.

mollipen

Dead Man said:

No no, I didn't mean it like that! I just meant that instead of trying to do a photoshop of it, I knew it'd take me like two minutes max to open up Illustrator and whip up what you guys were talking about. (Plus, doing it that way, it'd be super-simple to adjust anything if people weren't happy with it.)

Dead Man

shidoshi said:
No no, I didn't mean it like that! I just meant that instead of trying to do a photoshop of it, I knew it'd take me like two minutes max to open up Illustrator and whip up what you guys were talking about. (Plus, doing it that way, it'd be super-simple to adjust anything if people weren't happy with it.)
All good. :D

gerg said:
What is the third arrow on the other logo if not to represent transgender people?

I think that any logo created specifically for the transgender community inherently "other"-fies the transgender community by specifically being made for the transgender community. But, if you're going to have one you may as well do it in style.

I'd say the same thing about "gay pride", too. Gay pride marches are an inherently heteronormative action, in my mind, and hopefully there will be a time when society moves away from such a centrepoint to the degree that being "proud" of being gay is seen as just as silly as being proud of being straight.
I get what your saying, but I feel the simplicity of that symbol in particular just makes it look like there are men, women and other. When all three are together as one, it sort of implies that one person can move between genders. Again, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

edit: Although I do like the implication of the hand mirror and the sword and shield put together. That is totally actually a picture of Link with the mirror shield and master sword. I mean he is pretty androgynous... :D

lexi said:
You know you're doing well when this occurs and you're not even trying.
I'm afraid that while coming out (heh) of my coma, I think I pretty much let the whole staff/anyone listening know I was transgender. >_> I probably proclaimed it many, many times. I had some crazy hallucinations, like thinking I was recovering from SRS. :( That's not even the weirdest one. I think I proclaimed to some of my family members, "Penis free since '03!" Lorazepam is one hell of a drug.

While partly conscious, I remember hearing two of the nurse's talking about how feminine I acted and it all made sense. >_>

lexi

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
I'm afraid that while coming out (heh) of my coma, I think I pretty much let the whole staff/anyone listening know I was transgender. >_> I probably proclaimed it many, many times. I had some crazy hallucinations, like thinking I was recovering from SRS. :( That's not even the weirdest one. I think I proclaimed to some of my family members, "Penis free since '03!" Lorazepam is one hell of a drug.

While partly conscious, I remember hearing two of the nurse's talking about how feminine I acted and it all made sense. >_>

I am kinda really looking forward to some of these wonderful painkiller drugs.

ninj4junpei said:

What does SRS mean? All I can think of is Simple Random Sample from studying too much for statistics.

Top Bottom