• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

lexi

Banned
So I ended up doing a rage comic that accurately depicts something that happened a little earlier:

DcWxf.png

mollipen

I am quite a fan of Zoe, as I like names that are a little different but not OMGCRAZY.

I am also, even though you didn't ask, definitely on the side of "pick a name you identify with" and not the "pick a name that has similarity to your old name" line of thinking.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
tiff said:
It's a good one :)

Well, now I have to ask my close friends if it fits me personally. :p I was going to use Sarah but the full name was used for a kinda crappy movie and I've been thinking of breaking the association.

shidoshi said:
I am quite a fan of Zoe, as I like names that are a little different but not OMGCRAZY.

I am also, even though you didn't ask, definitely on the side of "pick a name you identify with" and not the "pick a name that has similarity to your old name" line of thinking.

Oh it's not even close. :p

tiff

Banned
shidoshi said:
Yeah, if I were to transition I definitely wouldn't pick anything that starts with J.

dream

shidoshi said:
...I guess this is where I shut up. *laughs*

I only say that because I have no restraint and I know that if I were trans, I would call myself something like Ivyeyieshiaa.

Zoe bugs me for some reason. I think it's the separate syllable at the end when most English words would have it just sound like "Zo." Then again, Zoey just looks wrong.

Hell, I don't know, names are arbitrary anyway.

Dead Man

Amibguous Cad said:
Zoe bugs me for some reason. I think it's the separate syllable at the end when most English words would have it just sound like "Zo." Then again, Zoey just looks wrong.

Hell, I don't know, names are arbitrary anyway.
I knew a girl called Zoe, pronounced Zo. It gave me the shits ;) It's English, it hasn't made sense for at least 500 years, why try and start now?!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zöé!

Zoe is one of my favorite names of all time

iirate

So, I told a good friend of 8 years on Monday, and he was really cool about it. That makes two people that I'm in regular contact with that know (my roommate is the other), and 7 people in total (2 of which I'm no longer on speaking terms with, 3 that I have occasional contact with, and 2 that I see regularly).

Also, perhaps more importantly, I started seeing a therapist about these issues yesterday. Our first session went great. I'm still not ready to tell any family. =(

Dead Man

iirate said:
So, I told a good friend of 8 years on Monday, and he was really cool about it. That makes two people that I'm in regular contact with that know (my roommate is the other), and 7 people in total (2 of which I'm no longer on speaking terms with, 3 that I have occasional contact with, and 2 that I see regularly).

Also, perhaps more importantly, I started seeing a therapist about these issues yesterday. Our first session went great. I'm still not ready to tell any family. =(
Congratulations!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I am kind of starting to be interested in what I would look like as a female.

I mean, I have dressed up before (for Halloween, as Katy Perry) and I pulled it off pretty well.

But I'm so tall. =/

I think maybe I should take some pics and try it out online or something. What did any of you do to get an idea of what you might look like?

xelios said:
I am kind of starting to be interested in what I would look like as a female.

I mean, I have dressed up before (for Halloween, as Katy Perry) and I pulled it off pretty well.

But I'm so tall. =/

I don't think tallness is as bad as it seems these days. Not ten years ago I was roughly average height (I'm 31 and 5 foot 7) but now college-aged women tower over me; women over 6 foot tall really aren't unusual any more.

Hell, when I was first transitioning I lived with a trans woman who was 6 foot 3 and she was totally stealth, never had a problem.

Also, if you pulled off Katy Perry pretty well you'll probably be utterly gorgeous. I looked like arse when I dressed up before transition and I'm rather pretty now :)

lexi

Banned
Chiming in on the height thing. I'm 5"11 pushing 6"0 and height has never once been an issue for me.

I looked like arse when I dressed up before transition and I'm rather pretty now :)

The same also applies to me, I looked fucking awful before and although I'm loathe call myself pretty, I'm pretty enough to be stealth.

xelios

I'm not going to post actual photos of myself in drag, because of bad experiences here before (Opa), but I will entertain myself and whoever cares with mockups.

Edit: Actually I'm not going to spam the thread with my pics. I just chose one to represent my idea.

Being 6' tall is my worry. I feel that I look better female than male though (by the reactions I got on Halloween) and that depresses me.

xelios

lexi said:
If your worry is height then... try not to worry? :p Your face pretty much looks like it would already pass.

Thanks...I'm already a bit androgynous. Do you think with hormones my face would become even more feminine? Or how does that work?

Usually people's faces round off a bit on hormones, get softer... get more feminine, really. There's pre-hormone pictures of me on my photobucket if it'll help you visualise it -- PM me if you want the password to the "pre-transition" folder (but don't worry if not, I won't be offended or anything).

edit: damn html

xelios

@alysonwheel Thanks...you look a lot better (really good). I suppose now I have to decide what I want to do. Do you think my face could be passable too? And how long did it take you all to grow your hair out?

Going only by that picture, hell yeah you'll be passable. You'll be gorgeous.

I think it probably took me about a year to grow my hair out to the length I like it (which is pretty long, although I'm wearing it up lately as it's so damn hot here), but I was passing at this point when it didn't even reach my nose. Hormones made a huge difference pretty quickly for me.

xelios

I'm going to try it GAF. I'm gonna shave the facial hair and grow my hair out, get some makeup and all the forbidden girly things that interest me, and then see if it feels right.

The only thing that bothers me is that it's gonna take forever for my hair to grow the length I want it. I'm just wondering if I should try extensions or something in the meantime.

I've been messing around with my pics, doing the hairline as accurately as possible etc. to see what I would actually look like and I think it always turns out really well, as it did the one time I did IRL. Here is an example of what I might look like.

Edit: Actually, I'm digging the blond.

Edit: removed due to problems already, wow.

Either way when my hair grows out or I get extensions or something (whichever comes first) and some makeup, I'll take some photos of me dressed up for real, but I'll PM them to people only. Kind of scared of Opa.

(Also when do you decide on hormones? If you feel right once you go through all this?)

Also if any of you had SOs at the time, how did they feel about it? I'm wondering what my bf will think.

Platy

xelios said:
Either way when my hair grows out or I get extensions or something (whichever comes first) and some makeup, I'll take some photos of me dressed up for real, but I'll PM them to people only. Kind of scared of Opa.

What is this that you talked about twice ?

xelios

Platy said:
What is this that you talked about twice ?

Some people that used to be from gaf that live elsewhere now and have terrorized and dehumanized members of Trans GAF in the past. Using their pics, making fun of them etc. It was painful just watching it. I know some active members in this thread who got put through hell.

tiff

Banned
xelios said:
Some people that used to be from gaf that live elsewhere now and have terrorized and dehumanized members of Trans GAF in the past. Using their pics, making fun of them etc. It was painful just watching it. I know some active members in this thread who got put through hell.
Stuff like that is why I waited so long to post here.

Well, not really Opa specifically, but I used the same username on the last forum I posted on before GAF, and it's filled with assholes who wouldn't hesitate to attack someone for being transgender.

Top Bottom