• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hurrah! I get to stay and my transition plans just got bumped back a bit, so I'm going to aim for Summer for the fund raising deadline and do some preparations to get things moving by then. Haven't been able to find much info on where I should go in Austin but I'm hoping I run across some kinda resource to see about starting this soon so I can prepare properly.

Hurrah! I get to stay and my transition plans just got bumped back a bit, so I'm going to aim for Summer for the fund raising deadline and do some preparations to get things moving by then. Haven't been able to find much info on where I should go in Austin but I'm hoping I run across some kinda resource to see about starting this soon so I can prepare properly.
i5JlhTSYWPLTr.gif

You don't deserve to live in Austin. :mad:

Here's one site. http://www.cttgs.org/resources/health.html

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Weird, that didn't come up when I searched. I got a bunch of tips on other things searching though so it wasn't a total loss. O: Well I guess I should give these places a call and find out how things are supposed to go. Thanks femmeworth~! <3

Weird, that didn't come up when I searched. I got a bunch of tips on other things searching though so it wasn't a total loss. O: Well I guess I should give these places a call and find out how things are supposed to go. Thanks femmeworth~! <3
If you haven't already, join TrueSelves. There are some Texas specific resources there too along with general resources, not to mention the community. Looking over there, Kate Wanstrom (in the link I gave you) seems to be a great doctor.

mollipen

If you haven't already, join TrueSelves. There are some Texas specific resources there too along with general resources, not to mention the community. Looking over there, Kate Wanstrom (in the link I gave you) seems to be a great doctor.

Just be careful of getting too deep into the community there. They can be helpful on certain topics, but also very... intense.

Zeppelin

Just out of curiosity: how much does it cost to go from male to female in the US? And is the transformation ever 'complete' so to speak? Or do one have to eat hormones for the rest of ones life?

Just out of curiosity: how much does it cost to go from male to female in the US? And is the transformation ever 'complete' so to speak? Or do one have to eat hormones for the rest of ones life?

It varies wildly because transition is a very personal thing. For instance, some people will have multiple surgeries and some people won't have any. Generally people who take hormones will take them indefinitely, though their dosages may change over time and not everyone takes them orally. :)

Zeppelin

It varies wildly because transition is a very personal thing. For instance, some people will have multiple surgeries and some people won't have any. Generally people who take hormones will take them indefinitely, though their dosages may change over time and not everyone takes them orally. :)

Ah, yes of course. In any case it sounds like it would be crazy expensive in a country without 'free' healthcare.

Dariee

Hello there.
Since you're the topic-starter, let's be a little more clear about my lurking:

Haven't been GAF-member for a long time, so am often only going through the last few pages of the longer threads, as I've obviously missed all of that. Reason why I'm leaving a comment in a topic of interest - like in this instance - is mostly to get myself subscribed to the thread, but also to let the ones posting know who's lurking. Seems like a fair gesture, I'd say.

mollipen

Intense how?

Just seems like the drama runs high. It's a forum for people to talk about and discuss the whole trans issue, but then some people really don't want to talk about their own personal journeys (and can get a little rude in stating such). And then, there just seems to be an overall lower level of tolerance when dealing with each other there, which seems rather against the whole idea of the thread. I've seen plenty of examples in my time reading posts on there of people just suddenly going off on one another (which I ponder could be explained by the fact that so many of the site's members are people already heavily affected by dealing with sorting out their lives mentally/emotionally).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just wanted to drop by to say I hope you all get the support and acceptance you deserve. I can't imagine not being who I am.
Good luck.

Dan Savage has a history of being intolerant, not just to trans people, but anyone who doesn't fit his narrow definition of gay. Just because other people are worse, does not make it okay for him to be a dickhead. If he holds himself up as a beacon of tolerance and is still a shithead, he deserves to be targeted just for setting the standard so low.

I would agree with this. Ten or fifteen years ago, Savage was just a writer who had a semi-satirical advice column in local weekly papers. Nowadays he's been positioned as a kind of pundit for LGBT people (but gay men especially) and that puts what he says under up to more scrutiny. I don't think glitterbombing him is an effective form of protest or discourse, but I think a lot of the criticisms levied against him are valid.

Sort of on that point, Lindy West, who writes for Savage's paper The Stranger, actually wrote a pretty scathing response to him about how he talks about fat women in his column. Ultimately, the point she raises applies to all the shitty stuff he says to people in his column: if you're trying to change things for people, then he needs to change some of his own attitude first.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/02/11/hello-i-am-fat

fireside

Just seems like the drama runs high. It's a forum for people to talk about and discuss the whole trans issue, but then some people really don't want to talk about their own personal journeys (and can get a little rude in stating such). And then, there just seems to be an overall lower level of tolerance when dealing with each other there, which seems rather against the whole idea of the thread. I've seen plenty of examples in my time reading posts on there of people just suddenly going off on one another (which I ponder could be explained by the fact that so many of the site's members are people already heavily affected by dealing with sorting out their lives mentally/emotionally).

So since it appears the support the forum offers may not be the best, do you think the resources Femmeworth mentioned are worth joining for?

(Insert “It’s only a forum just join it anyway” here)

mollipen

So since it appears the support the forum offers may not be the best, do you think the resources Femmeworth mentioned are worth joining for?

(Insert “It’s only a forum just join it anyway” here)

Oh, I absolutely think Trueselves is still worth joining, as some of the resources on there can be very helpful (as can the people at times). It's just the kind of place that I wouldn't look to in hopes of finding a "community" to be a part of.

Dead Man

I would agree with this. Ten or fifteen years ago, Savage was just a writer who had a semi-satirical advice column in local weekly papers. Nowadays he's been positioned as a kind of pundit for LGBT people (but gay men especially) and that puts what he says under up to more scrutiny. I don't think glitterbombing him is an effective form of protest or discourse, but I think a lot of the criticisms levied against him are valid.

Sort of on that point, Lindy West, who writes for Savage's paper The Stranger, actually wrote a pretty scathing response to him about how he talks about fat women in his column. Ultimately, the point she raises applies to all the shitty stuff he says to people in his column: if you're trying to change things for people, then he needs to change some of his own attitude first.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/02/11/hello-i-am-fat

What a great reply, thanks for posting!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So... in a little over two hours, I'll be finding out if I get to start hormones yet or not. Kinda nervous!

Hop

I'm only nervous because the only reason I wouldn't get hormones is if I have some significant endocrine problems, which would be very Not Good. All the dietary efforts I made should be working correctly (hell, I already lost more than 10 pounds in the process).

CHEEZMO&#8482;;35335844 said:
There's shit I want to buy but can't because parents
aCTP7.gif

I know that feel. Because my brother's comically irresponsible with money (got his car repo'd because he simply didn't pay. Had the money, didn't pay) my parents kept an eye on my finances through college. So I couldn't really shop even though I had the space/privacy. I don't think they do anymore, or else I probably would've gotten talked to about going to Ulta a few times....

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I'm kinda the opposite - I'm (generally) free to do what I like with my money, but there's no point buying something if I don't even have the privacy to store it anywhere, let alone wear.

feelsbadman

I need to move out >_>

Hop

CHEEZMO™;35337225 said:
I'm kinda the opposite - I'm (generally) free to do what I like with my money, but there's no point buying something if I don't even have the privacy to store it anywhere, let alone wear.

feelsbadman

I need to move out >_>

It really does wonders to have your own place. I would say you run the risk of living with some really weird people, but... :p

Anyway. Estradiol, 1mg daily. Fuck yea.

mollipen

So, the way I am, think that no matter how serious of a topic something might be, you still have to be able to have fun with it sometimes. I absolutely think there's a line where jokes become hurtful and/or insulting, and people need to understand that and be more careful about how they come at one another. At the same time, you have to be able to laugh at yourself, and find humor in your situation, otherwise you'll just drive yourself crazy or worse.

Why am I giving this lead-in? Because I decided to have a little fun with my latest joystick mod, and it has a certain relevance to this very thread. My post showing off the mod is over in the joystick thread on the gaming side, linked to here.

I can't even look at it without cracking a huge smile.

Hop

Hey, Cheezmo found a pic that's actually appropriate to post! :p

Why am I giving this lead-in? Because I decided to have a little fun with my latest joystick mod, and it has a certain relevance to this very thread. My post showing off the mod is over in the joystick thread on the gaming side, linked to here.

Is Poison in any fighting games? I thought she was just in that one beat-'em-up whose name I forget right now. That's the only thing that'd make that more awesome/hilarious.

mollipen

Is Poison in any fighting games? I thought she was just in that one beat-'em-up whose name I forget right now. That's the only thing that'd make that more awesome/hilarious.

She's in Street Fighter X Tekken! She was being seriously considered for SFIV, but when that didn't happen, they put her in SFxT. Thus the resurgence of talk about Poison in the last half year or so.

Platy

Hey, Cheezmo found a pic that's actually appropriate to post! :p

She almost made to Capcom Fighting All Stars and made it from Fight Fight Revenge, the craptacular sega saturn fighting game
LqfR9.jpg

eIUR9.png

Her "ultra" was ....sexy pics of her appearing and the enemy taking damage. Not very trans friendly =P
Legend tells (not much people played this ...) that she plays nothing like her SFxT version

itXRA.jpg

782ZD.jpg

hBW7i.jpg

cKPg6.jpg

n6YAH.png

ending ^

mollipen

Her "ultra" was ....sexy pics of her appearing and the enemy taking damage. Not very trans friendly =P

Well, I'm not sure I'd take it that way really. It's a common trope in Japanese anime and whatnot to have a guy lose strength/whatever when suddenly overcome by the sexiness of a girl, by seeing her in scandalous situations, etc.

So I never thought of it as anything more than her opponents losing health due to being overwhelmed by such feelings at seeing those pics.

Top Bottom