• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

I tried asking this in the trans thread bouncing around right now

Ugh, I just poked my head in that out of curiosity and now I feel super-vulnerable and unhappy. The dude proudly proclaiming he can identify any trans woman on sight because 4chan, despite how unlikely that actually is, wasn't something I needed to read today.

Going to go hide behind a rock until it's time to go home, I think.

Ugh, I just poked my head in that out of curiosity and now I feel super-vulnerable and unhappy. The dude proudly proclaiming he can identify any trans woman on sight because 4chan, despite how unlikely that actually is, wasn't something I needed to read today.

Going to go hide behind a rock until it's time to go home, I think.

:(

C'mon, you know that's not just unlikely, it's really pretty silly.

True. I'm just having a bad hair day on hard mode (hair dryer blew up this morning so tramped into work with wet hair, washing machine I thought I put on overnight wasn't actually on so I'm in rumpled clothes, ran out of powder, not got much sleep, aching joints and big-ass ganglion in my mouse wrist, etc.!) and feeling a little over-sensitive.

Still, I have a new hair dryer, more powder, a resolve to put the washing machine on when I get home, a large cadburys whole nut, and less than an hour until the end of the working day, so nuts to the world :)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Still, I have a new hair dryer, more powder, a resolve to put the washing machine on when I get home, a large cadburys whole nut, and less than an hour until the end of the working day, so nuts to the world :)

Attagirl :)

I don't know if it's a new reaction to hormones or something, but that thread came up right as I was getting rather moody and uncomfortable myself, so I was probably a little bitchier than I would normally be (though I don't think I would've even posted if I were in a more normal mood). Will say though, I'm probably not dating any gaffers anytime soon...

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Attagirl :)

I don't know if it's a new reaction to hormones or something, but that thread came up right as I was getting rather moody and uncomfortable myself, so I was probably a little bitchier than I would normally be-

I'm not really a bastard.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
IT WASNT A PUN!

I was joking that I'd continue looking at dog dicks all I want.
I didn't explain it because it would be shit and had been built up too much :(

Hop

CHEEZMO™;35587501 said:
IT WASNT A PUN!

I was joking that I'd continue looking at dog dicks all I want.
I didn't explain it because it would be shit and had been built up too much :(

Sorry D:

I'm really bad about teasing guy friends for some reason :(

mollipen

I don't know if it's a new reaction to hormones or something, but that thread came up right as I was getting rather moody and uncomfortable myself, so I was probably a little bitchier than I would normally be
What somewhat worries me is that, when people tell me you get moody, bitchy, and hyper-sensitive on hormones, I'm already like that BEFORE them. *laughs*

Hop

This thread was always destined to come back around to chocolate.

I've actually, as part of my whole diet adjustment, taken up having a square of 84% Ghiradelli dark chocolate each day. Ostensibly for the antioxidant benefits but mostly because chocolate.

is just as dumb as the "gay people shouldn't be allowed in the same locker room as us because they're just gonna look at our dicks" thing
I get the trans thing, but, why is it weird not wanting gay people in your locker room?
I don't get to see any tits or vagina in the locker room because I'm apparently a predator when it comes to women. And women don't get to look at my dick because that would somehow be wrong too.
But gay dudes checking out my package is a-ok?
Not that I care much about any gay people staring at my junk, but that does seem rather bigoted, no?
I'd vouch for one locker room for all. After a few weeks of staring and giggling, shit would soon normalize.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I do love the conceit that comes with people paranoid about gays trying to check them out or fuck them or something.

Not directed at you, Scar. Just musing.

CHEEZMO™;35588985 said:
I do love the conceit that comes with people paranoid about gays trying to check them out or fuck them or something.

Not directed at you, Scar. Just musing.

Well, if women can be paranoid about men checking them out (and sometimes vice versa), why can't men be paranoid about other men checking them out?
If you're self-conscious about your body, I can easily see how that would be a problem.

As for me, I'd just like to see some titties in exchange for being oogled by gay dudes. ;)

I've actually, as part of my whole diet adjustment, taken up having a square of 84% Ghiradelli dark chocolate each day. Ostensibly for the antioxidant benefits but mostly because chocolate.

Theoretically, how much antioxidant benefit would I be getting from eating an entire 120g bar of whole nut and no other food in a day? Theoretically.

mollipen

So, for anybody going to PAX East, there's going to be an interesting panel going on there. Somebody you know is even going to be on it!

"It's A Trap? Transgender Issues In Gaming"

Whether it's Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Resident Evil or Final Fantasy, video games have a long history of transgender characters. You'll find no shortage of transgender people working in the industry too. Join a panel of game designers, writers, and fans to learn about some of the most interesting characters in gaming, and the impressive lineage of transgender game makers. We'll also discuss the impact of sex and gender in blockbuster games that let players choose their sex.

Hop

So, for anybody going to PAX East, there's going to be an interesting panel going on there. Somebody you know is even going to be on it!

And I'm also on a panel that's not nearly as interesting!

(The schedule's been published?)

Orayn

I'm so sorry the other thread is full of shit right now, and I feel partially responsible for potentially egging the idiots on. If *AT ANY TIME* anyone thinks I should stop, please reply or PM me and I'll shut up immediately. I realize that I can get carried away, and I don't want to go overboard and unwittingly say something dumb or offensive when arguing on behalf of others. (Alas, I am but a cis male who sometimes thinks he knows what he's talking about.)

Peace!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I personally don't mind. I just steer clear of discussions that I know won't go anywhere these days.

Me too. x: I just end up getting sad when I see people refusing to be courteous and saying hurtful things.

Finding out they forced out an employee under stupid excuses at the place I did studies upset me the other week as well. They imposed some stupid rules on her while she was there too. x:

iirate

What somewhat worries me is that, when people tell me you get moody, bitchy, and hyper-sensitive on hormones, I'm already like that BEFORE them. *laughs*

Haha, I'm not worried about moodiness (in fact, I expect my mood to improve on them), but I am worried about sex drive. Mine is already pretty damn low, and I know that it often drops further post 'mones.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Haha, I'm not worried about moodiness (in fact, I expect my mood to improve on them), but I am worried about sex drive. Mine is already pretty damn low, and I know that it often drops further post 'mones.

Mine is pretty huge so maybe a little drop would be relaxing!

mollipen

Ono meets my Poison custom stick!

Also, our PAX East panel name got changed to "Press XY: Transgender Issues In Gaming" due to the previous name having "trap" in it. Which, I find kind of funny, given the purpose for the panel and the fact some of the panelists have direct ties to the transgender community.

lexi

Banned

Also, our PAX East panel name got changed to "Press XY: Transgender Issues In Gaming" due to the previous name having "trap" in it. Which, I find kind of funny, given the purpose for the panel and the fact some of the panelists have direct ties to the transgender community.

I personally don't like the word 'trap' and the context it's used in amongst the 4chan generation.

Hop

I'm certainly going to the panel, but I am kinda worried if the atmosphere will end up more like this thread or more like the other one. :/ Not that the nature of any of the panels scheduled at the same time give any hints on what kind of crowd might be available to show up.

sophora

I'll be definitely going to the panel, kind of nervous about it, don't know why haha...PAX should be quite interesting at least.

mollipen

I personally don't like the word 'trap' and the context it's used in amongst the 4chan generation.

Absolutely - I know that while I usually am not bothered by the word, a lot of people are and for a very good reason.

I guess the way I saw the panel name (which I had no part of) was that that's one of the biggest ways the gaming community connects with the idea of transgender characters - via that "joke". And the whole point of the panel would then be to educate people about the issue beyond the joke, and that very minimal level of understanding most have.

That's why I had no problem with the name - because the panel (at least so far as I know) is going to be a serious attempt at education and not just a "for fun" kind of thing.

Absolutely - I know that while I usually am not bothered by the word, a lot of people are and for a very good reason.

I guess the way I saw the panel name (which I had no part of) was that that's one of the biggest ways the gaming community connects with the idea of transgender characters - via that "joke". And the whole point of the panel would then be to educate people about the issue beyond the joke, and that very minimal level of understanding most have.

That's why I had no problem with the name - because the panel (at least so far as I know) is going to be a serious attempt at education and not just a "for fun" kind of thing.
Pfft, they should have just gone all the way and called it "Trannies in Gaming."

Amalthea

Banned
I'm a bit thorn about the way I've played the nazi-card in the "Are transgendered folk obligated to disclose that information to potential mates?"-thread but then I thought about that Transsexualism has more to do with the whole affair than it seems. Even though it missed the point still.

Magnus Hirschfeld was a jewish doctor on sexual medicine in Germany before the Nazis took power. He came up with the terms transvestite and transsexualism and was one of the first to use the word racism.

He helped trans-people to recieve the "Transvestiten-Schein" (or something like that) wich trans-people could show to police-officers so they wouldn't get arrested.

He also conducted early sex-reassignment surgeries.

When the nazis took power his Institute for Sexual-Sciences was raided and shut down, he was forced to leave the country.

His transsexual patients were of course later murdered in concentration camps.

(I wrote most of this from my memory, sorry if there are factual errors, I would be thankful if someone could point them out.)

fireside

I think the problem is that using that “joke” in a serious attempt at education can easily lead to two negative conclusions: calling transgender people by a derogatory term is okay, after all, a bunch of transgender people are using it; and it can also lead to the impression that you are being hypocrites, because if they listen to your panel and learn that calling people by a derogatory term is not okay, why the hell did your panel’s name include the derogatory joke?

mollipen

I think the problem is that using that “joke” in a serious attempt at education can easily lead to two negative conclusions: calling transgender people by a derogatory term is okay, after all, a bunch of transgender people are using it; and it can also lead to the impression that you are being hypocrites, because if they listen to your panel and learn that calling people by a derogatory term is not okay, why the hell did your panel’s name include the derogatory joke?

Yeah, like I said, I can understand the argument against the name. I just personally didn't have a huge problem with it.

Dead Man

So... it's been a rowdy couple of days on GAF, I think I have been a bit... agressive... in some of my posts, just wanted to swing by and apologise if I had put words in anyones mouth, or characterised something incorrectly. I haven't meant to to try to speak for people, I hope that my posts did not come across that way.

Anyway, how about those video games?!

lexi

Banned
So... it's been a rowdy couple of days on GAF, I think I have been a bit... agressive... in some of my posts, just wanted to swing by and apologise if I had put words in anyones mouth, or characterised something incorrectly. I haven't meant to to try to speak for people, I hope that my posts did not come across that way.

I think you did very well, there are very few allies in those threads, I'm happy you have the impact you do.

iirate

Anyway, how about those video games?!

I think you did very well, there are very few allies in those threads, I'm happy you have the impact you do.

I agree with Lexi, every ally in a thread like that is appreciated, and you devoted a lot of time and energy to it. No apologies needed here.

Top Bottom