• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
CHEEZMO™;35886440 said:
If I had bags she would.

This is the woman who apparently used to go through my text messages when I left my phone around, and I only found out because she confronted me one day about being late to college once. She only knew that because she checked the text details for time & date.

So yeah.

I'm guessing you've done some confronting yourself? I was going to ask whether any comments were critical or "jokey" but really they're both as rude. Best of luck getting set up somewhere else, mate. I think it'd do you a world of good.

Ed: I mean confronting your folks about their intrusions. I'm a serial editor today.

mollipen

Is there an appropriate time for when you can start having people refer to you as the opposite pronoun?

As lexi said, it's totally up to you.

For me, I feel like I have no right to ask that of people that I know in person until I get to a point of presenting myself as female to them on a regular basis. On the other hand, I've always been very secretive about my gender when meeting people online, and I have online friends who know my situation and who have switched over in their pronouns.

And look at those skinny legs! Ugh.

Koyuga

Stripey socks are awesome and there is absolutely no reason why everyone shouldnt be able to enjoy them!

A lot of my friends just wont get the pronouns and name right. I'm a bit too nervous to correct them... but apparently when I'm drunk I tend to ignore people when they call me by my old name >_>
so maybe thats some progress

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
A lot of my friends just wont get the pronouns and name right. I'm a bit too nervous to correct them... but apparently when I'm drunk I tend to ignore people when they call me by my old name >_>

I'd call that progress!

I don't really have anyone IRL to call me Zoe, so I'm still not very used to it. And it's not quite common enough that I hear it in passing and perk up at it, like I do with my (much more common) male name.

mollipen

Not sure how familiar everybody is with the US TV show "What Would You Do?", but it's a hidden camera show where they create situations and see how the people forced to witness those situations would react. Started off with stuff like would you say anything it saw a bike being stolen, would you speak up if you saw a man being verbally abusive to his girlfriend, etc. Basically, seeing if people will or won't help strangers in different situations.

Last night they did a segment on being transgender, where a boy and his mother are in a restaurant and the boy comes out to him mom as trans. Here's the episode on Hulu, and this segment starts after the second commercial break. (I'm not if sure non-US folk can watch this or not. Sorry!)

What Would You Do? - March 9th 2012

It's funny, because whenever I watch stuff like this, I have to watch it first with the sound off, and then again with the sound on. Like, not knowing what's going to happen AND what's going to be said in serious situations like this is just too much overload for me. *laughs*

Koyuga

I'd call that progress!

I don't really have anyone IRL to call me Zoe, so I'm still not very used to it. And it's not quite common enough that I hear it in passing and perk up at it, like I do with my (much more common) male name.

Its the same for me, the name I chose (Amelie) isnt exactly one you'd hear all the time around here. I hear my old name all the time and it still makes me nervous sometimes...

Platy

hoqnb.gif

Tinycartridge posted a trans related flashgame called Dys4ia

It is strange in a "so strange it makes me a little afraid" (...like Killer7 strange) ... but ... it was an interesting narrative experience

tearsofash

I'm about to graduate college, and probably not going to see a whole lot of my friends again from that. However, I'm pretty heavy into the BDSM community here and many of them seem to much more accepting of trans people than the lbgtqi/etc community here. Even though I'm pre-transition, I gotta start somewhere with something. I don't know, it's still something that makes me nervous.

I'm just curious what most people do. Do they wait until they are at least transitioning, or is it usually too much to ask if you haven't even started yet?

Koyuga

hoqnb.gif

Tinycartridge posted a trans related flashgame called Dys4ia

It is strange in a "so strange it makes me a little afraid" (...like Killer7 strange) ... but ... it was an interesting narrative experience

That game was reallly neat!

I'm about to graduate college, and probably not going to see a whole lot of my friends again from that. However, I'm pretty heavy into the BDSM community here and many of them seem to much more accepting of trans people than the lbgtqi/etc community here. Even though I'm pre-transition, I gotta start somewhere with something. I don't know, it's still something that makes me nervous.

I'm just curious what most people do. Do they wait until they are at least transitioning, or is it usually too much to ask if you haven't even started yet?

Pretty much after I came out and went fulltime is when I started expecting people to use the right name and pronounse

mollipen

I got a sweet pink 3DS today! (Free from a fan of mine. *laughs*) Any other TransGAF members have one? If so, send me your friend code in a PM so that I can have some friends on this thing!

Hello there. I'm new here (as if it weren't obvious enough haha). I've recently come out to a couple friends about being a girl trapped in a boys body, and they've all stopped talking to me, so I'd just like a place to come to if I want to talk about it. I'm not as far as half of you girls out there, but I'm slowly working my way there.

This took a lot for me to even type this, I'm not sure why. I know I won't be treated like I'm some kind of freak, but I guess that's what I get for being a nervous wreck.
Anyway, I hope to feel welcome here, and I hope to hear from some of you sometime soon.

Have a good evening everyone!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hello new person! Welcome and sorry to hear about your friends. Hopefully they'll come around after thinking about it for a bit!

I understand about the nervousness though! It took me about a year to even actually say anything here after making a throwaway post that I chickened out on introducing myself on.

mollipen

Hello there. I'm new here (as if it weren't obvious enough haha). I've recently come out to a couple friends about being a girl trapped in a boys body, and they've all stopped talking to me, so I'd just like a place to come to if I want to talk about it. I'm not as far as half of you girls out there, but I'm slowly working my way there.

Every time I hear something like this, I feel very lucky, because so far I can't think of one friend of mine who has any sort of negative reaction to my coming out to them. (Then again, my girlieness was pretty obvious for, like, forever, so it's come as little shock to anybody.)

If you ever want/need somebody to talk to about things, I'd be happy to give you my IM contact information in private. I'm not always available to chat, but when I am I'd be more than willing to do so.

fireside

This took a lot for me to even type this, I'm not sure why. I know I won't be treated like I'm some kind of freak, but I guess that's what I get for being a nervous wreck.
Anyway, I hope to feel welcome here, and I hope to hear from some of you sometime soon.

I’m sorry to hear about your friends, but if they don’t respect you for who you are, then they’re not really your friends, right? But hopefully they’ll get over themselves.

I wouldn’t worry about being nervous, I get nervous making routine posts—like this one.

If you ever want/need somebody to talk to about things, I'd be happy to give you my IM contact information in private. I'm not always available to chat, but when I am I'd be more than willing to do so.
Speaking of chatting, I know you brought it up a while ago, but is there any interest from anybody else regarding a private transgaf chat room? An irc channel wouldn’t be too much trouble to set up.

mollipen

Speaking of chatting, I know you brought it up a while ago, but is there any interest from anybody else regarding a private transgaf chat room? An irc channel wouldn’t be too much trouble to set up.

I'd definitely love to get one set up. It's pretty easy to do in Skype, so if enough of us use that, we could go that route. What's also nice about doing it that way is you'll be able to see conversations that went on when you weren't around, and Skype auto-syncs the log whenever you log in somewhere.

The downside is that you can't come and go from the chat whenever you want—you just leave yourself joined to it. So, that could be a potential issue if people need to be careful about prying eyes.

I'm not sure how easy it is to set up private IRC chatrooms, but I'm also be up for that if is isn't hard.

Thanks for the warm welcome girls :)
Every time I hear something like this, I feel very lucky, because so far I can't think of one friend of mine who has any sort of negative reaction to my coming out to them. (Then again, my girlieness was pretty obvious for, like, forever, so it's come as little shock to anybody.)

I wouldn't mind that! I'm sure it's nice to have someone to finally talk with :) so thanks for the oppurtunity :D

tearsofash

I'd be down for a chat.

Private IRC could work, although I've only made public rooms. We could always just get skype or something and manually add each other.

I'm an expert at idling, either way.

fireside

I'd definitely love to get one set up. It's pretty easy to do in Skype, so if enough of us use that, we could go that route. What's also nice about doing it that way is you'll be able to see conversations that went on when you weren't around, and Skype auto-syncs the log whenever you log in somewhere.

The downside is that you can't come and go from the chat whenever you want—you just leave yourself joined to it. So, that could be a potential issue if people need to be careful about prying eyes.

I'm not sure how easy it is to set up private IRC chatrooms, but I'm also be up for that if is isn't hard.

I'd be down for a chat.

Private IRC could work, although I've only made public rooms. We could always just get skype or something and manually add each other.

I'm an expert at idling, either way.

Well, I just made an irc channel; it’s currently as private as I can make it. If irc is what’s convenient for everyone, we’ll have someplace to go.

Hi! I'm the old lady who hangs around here and witters on about her boring life occasionally. I do like to think that I'm proof that after a while being trans can be as tiny a part of your life as you want it to be, though :)

I have a question.
I have Pectus excavatum (not a serious case), would that slow me down? I'm worried that I may not be able to go on hormones because of it. Some people did say I only have it because of how skinny I am, but I'm not sure if that's false information.

EDIT: I could just go to a doctor and find out that way..

CHEEZMO™;35983023 said:
I’m sorry to hear about your friends, but if they don’t respect you for who you are, then they’re not really your friends, right? But hopefully they’ll get over themselves.

I wouldn’t worry about being nervous, I get nervous making routine posts—like this one.

I guess so, haha. Just a shame, since its difficult for me to make friends, and the only friends I had basically rejected me. Oh well, I'll live :)

Hi! I'm the old lady who hangs around here and witters on about her boring life occasionally. I do like to think that I'm proof that after a while being trans can be as tiny a part of your life as you want it to be, though :)

Oh please, I'm sure your life isn't boring :) I look forward to reading your future posts :D

mollipen

I guess you folks don't realize Stern's importance in the acceptance of gays in the US.

It's big news, whether or not you think the guy is funny or crude or whatever.

I do! I just haven't had a chance to listen to the segment yet, and definitely think it's a big deal if he took away something from the conversation. I certainly appreciate your posting about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I like to think anybody who wouldn't welcome you to this community no longer has an account here, and if they do, they wont for long. So welcome!

fireside

I would be interested too, if you don't mind inviting someone who isn't a thread regular.
What’s everyone else’s opinion on cases like this? I don’t really want to create a channel where people feel they have to spill their guts out on the forum to get in; I think it would be silly to force people to be public with themselves if they want to get into a more private chat, but, I mean, I don’t want to let all the riff-raff in (no offense thatbox).

Personally I think that if you’re trans and you don’t want to talk about it on the forum, you can send me or someone else a PM explaining that, and if you’re not trans maybe someone can vouch that you’re not a jerk.

Hopefully this doesn’t come across as mean.

Platy

I have a question.
I have Pectus excavatum (not a serious case), would that slow me down? I'm worried that I may not be able to go on hormones because of it. Some people did say I only have it because of how skinny I am, but I'm not sure if that's false information.

Only the most severe cases of it affects the heart, and most doctors are REALLY picky with heart problems and hormones.

A friend of mine has been in a similar situation. A few of her friends (outside of our "base camp") stopped talking to her after she told people how she felt. It shocked me and our friends too, but we got over it after maybe the second day. We all then talked with her about how she felt, and that was that. She's already made a full transition (is that the term? I'm not sure, so please correct me if I'm wrong) a couple years ago, but we haven't been in touch for a while due to being so busy.

I only started lurking recently, so it's probably weird seeing a post out of the blue, but your post reminded me of my friend so I just wanted to chime in. I hope you like it here!

iirate

I guess you folks don't realize Stern's importance in the acceptance of gays in the US.

It's big news, whether or not you think the guy is funny or crude or whatever.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea how influential this guy is, other than the fact that to the best of my understanding, he was by far the biggest name in satellite radio a few years back (and of course I know about his prior shows and such).

Thanks for the info; I'm going to have to read up on this.

Welcome. :) Sorry to hear about your friends; hopefully they come around. Don't worry, some of aren't very far along either. ;_;

A friend of mine has been in a similar situation. A few of her friends (outside of our "base camp") stopped talking to her after she told people how she felt. It shocked me and our friends too, but we got over it after maybe the second day. We all then talked with her about how she felt, and that was that. She's already made a full transition (is that the term? I'm not sure, so please correct me if I'm wrong) a couple years ago, but we haven't been in touch for a while due to being so busy.

I only started lurking recently, so it's probably weird seeing a post out of the blue, but your post reminded me of my friend so I just wanted to chime in. I hope you like it here!
Lucky girl :) Its not weird at all, and thank you! I'm sure I will :)
Welcome. :) Sorry to hear about your friends; hopefully they come around. Don't worry, some of aren't very far along either. ;_;

Thanks :D I hope they do too, but if they don't, oh well. Awww, I've only just started going to doctors to talk about hormones. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can get farther along soon! (if you haven't already)

Also, going to tell my mum (not my dad though, he'd disapprove it so fast) tomorrow, not sure how its going to go. Wish me luck.

Thanks :D I hope they do too, but if they don't, oh well. Awww, I've only just started going to doctors to talk about hormones. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can get farther along soon! (if you haven't already)
I don't need luck, I need money and a properly functioning brain. T_T

Not sure how your parents are, but my dad was actually more accepting of it than my mom when I came out.

I don't need luck, I need money and a properly functioning brain. T_T

Not sure how your parents are, but my dad was actually more accepting of it than my mom when I came out.

I'm sorry, I expected money would be a problem ):
Well both of my parents are Christian, my dad more passionate about Christianity then my mum. He is against homosexuality in every way, so I can't really tell him I'm bi, and he'll probably see me being a transsexual in that way as well. I guess theres only one way to find out.

Top Bottom