• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender Teen (Male to Female) Wins 3rd Place in Race;Girls' Mothers Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApharmdX

Banned
It really shouldn't be like this. Sport is segregated by sex for the very reason that gives a trans woman advantages -- but bare with me.

AFAIK, the Holy Baikal post that got her banned was a series of posts that undermined the hard work of women in sports, saying that they had the same chances to be strong as men which is obviously not true and essentially called women athletes less hard working.

That being said, no one is transitioning because they want an advantage in sports. Then it gets far more complicated so the point that you realise it's never really fair. Sport is a test of wit but mostly physical attributes determined by genetics -- just like an IQ test I guess. But the reason why we watch sports is to figure out who is the most athletic. The fastest guy will beat the fastest girl, but out of the guys and girls we want to see comes out on top. From a spectator's point of view, is no more disappointing to see a trans woman win a ladies race then it is to see an only black kid in a rural area win the local sprint.

Spectators ask: why can't trans women run with the men
and the Trans athletes states: because I'm not a man

Neither side is invalid here, but my goodness can people respect the organisers decision to let them run in the ladies competition. I only see this being a big issue if Trans women start winning gold medals in the ladies section of the Olympics, and a country that's bigoted as fuck complains. Outside of national pride, can we not take it so seriously that we have to regress to talking about fucking chromosomes.

It will never be an issue in the Olympics unless the rules are changed, because they segregate based on gender, and verify using gender determination.

With weight classes the difference is greatly minimalized.

I would take Laila Ali over a lot of guys in her weight division, for instance.

And I'm 100% positive Ronda Rousey would demolish some dudes in her weight class in UFC (maybe not now since her spirit seems to be broken over that 1 loss... which sucks).

Nope. No way.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This reminds me of Oscar Pistorious, where people were unsure if his metal legs gave him an unfair advantage over the other Olympic runners.

This is what already happens, just on a generational level. Opportunity + genetics is what takes the gold. You can only make the case for personal effort up to a certain level of competitiveness.

Not going to address the other point because it's already being discussed and I don't see it being productive.

You still have to work your ass off to get there. Not everyone mentally can do it. You may have a massive injury that ends it. All kinds of factors go in. Someone born with great genetics isn't automatically going to win gold at the Olympics and hoist a pro sports trophy.

That is why genetics isn't a factor. The best athlete does NOT always win. A wet sock could cost a number 1 ranked tennis player a finals.

Toxi

Banned
We have years upon years of statistical data for most sports.

Wouldn't it be possible to have both gender compete together and apply a gender statistical correction to the athlete's performance to have a final ranking?
Maybe in a few cases, but nobody would like it.

How about 'who cares because its only a game?' I'm more appalled by how serious parents (well, literally anyone) takes sports. Let the girl stay on the track team. The only thing that is important for me, when considering sports, is the camaraderie/teamwork aspects, which aren't affected at all.

Yeah, the even trickier part is how we use sports as a societal construct... I feel at the child level we should place mental and social well-being as the high priorities, and not the perfect system for judging who's the best (though that part is still important because it's a paradigm of modern life)

The male/female sports distinction ought to be dissolved anyway.

This wouldn't turn out very well for women in pro sports/Olympics.

The two are split because of innate physical differences. I think transgender people should have to compete in the gender they were born into. I understand that going into bathrooms of a gender you don't identify with being really awkward, but sports isn't the same, at least at a competitive level.

Izuna

Banned
We have years upon years of statistical data for most sports.

Wouldn't it be possible to have both gender compete together and apply a gender statistical correction to the athlete's performance to have a final ranking?

For example:
A man runs the 100m in 10.2 seconds
A woman runs the 100m in 10.7 seconds

Apply a modifier to the woman's time (which would be decided by analyzing the differential between men and women in the last 50 years of Olympics)

Man = 10.2
Woman 10.7 * 0.95 = 10.165

The woman gets the gold because her performance was better all things considered.
After that, you could start working on what the modifier would be for trans.

How naïve you must be if you think this is a good idea.

Milton

Banned
Allowing biological males to compete with biological females in races does not seem to me like a good idea.

kirblar

Let's flip the discussion: What about female to male transgender persons? They can't compete with women because they're essentially doping on testosterone.
Correct. I see bone structure as the big issue here- going through male puberty leaves you with one that's naturally advantageous and it's something that isn't reversible w/ hormones. (Muscle mass will decay naturally on them.) Girl's Cross Country running has the highest injury rate of any high school sport.

It will never be an issue in the Olympics unless the rules are changed, because they segregate based on gender, and verify using gender determination.

Nope. No way.

Um, what?

Pound for pound, the more skilled fighter will win.

Anyone saying otherwise, like you are, clearly is not looking at it in that light.

Two Words

I feel that they have good reason to be upset. The divide of sexes in sports is largely because men and women are physiologically different. If men and women competed in the same leagues, you'd barely have any women about to get a spot over men. Genetics just play too big of a role here. So even if this person feels like a woman trapped in a man's body, she still has a man's body.

Izuna

Banned

I was using an hypothetical example. The fact that I had to is why no one should be worried about this at all.

EDIT: omfg Ronda Rousey again...

dalin80

Banned
The male/female sports distinction ought to be dissolved anyway.

You would be fine with 95%+ of all sporting success to go to guys?

The biological advantage in muscle growth, density, energy conversion, attachment points and dozens of other biological attributes will never be undone. Men evolved over thousands of generations to be bigger, faster, stronger... A few decades of more liberal thinking towards gender and identity is not going to have any impact on that.

To be fair though events that favour short bursts and reaction time (80/100m sprint for example) could be pretty close so there could be some mixed events but still, I just can't see it working. By the time you get to pure endurance events like marathons the difference is far too vast.

Justified

She has a right to compete and win if she is able.

It's like when black people started gaining rights and began playing sports beating out a lot of white players for positions and awards. People will have to adjust and accept it.

Not even remotely the same thing (competitively -wsie)

platocplx

They can follow Olympics rules and simply do a testosterone check, under a certain level you're allowed to participate with girls/women. I don't think there are any restrictions on female-to-male athletes.

this sounds about as good as you can get it makes sense to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All kinds of factors go in. Someone born with great genetics isn't automatically going to win gold at the Olympics and hoist a pro sports trophy.
That's why I added "opportunity", which is as random as genetics.

In case I wasn't being explicit enough I don't care much for the "competitive purity" of sports because I don't think it exists. I watch the Olympics on occasion to appreciate human athleticism, but that's all.

Um, what?

Anyone saying otherwise, like you are, clearly is not looking at it in that light.

She got smoked by someone who is most likely a scrub? WTF I don't understand how things like this are so hard for people to compute?

Ishan

They can put height and weight limits for certain sports if this was a real concern.

Huh . I'm pretty sure male and female sprinters aren't classified by height weight etc it's not like boxin or wrestling spring has to do with stuff like amount of fast twitch muscles you have etc. Would be hard to classify that way

Newt

It's like when black people started gaining rights and began playing sports beating out a lot of white players for positions and awards. People will have to adjust and accept it.
I don't think these are similar situations at all. Black people don't have an inherent advantage in competing.

Allowing biological males to compete with biological females in races does not seem to me like a good idea.
It just comes down to this.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Uh, nope, she doesn't. She is now female, but was once male and retains some of those biological advantages. It isn't fair to the rest of the women.

You cannot compare this to black athletes, it's totally different.

PSqueak

Banned
Do baby and toddlers usually transition? At the earliest the age is most likely going to be 12-13 and beyond, isn't it?. You're also not all that likely to start transitioning later on in life and than attempt to switch gender divisions in professional or amateur sports. 99.9% of the time you're going to be talking about high school students.

I was assuming something around the 12-13 age range too, except for early bloomers there is not much difference physically between girls and boys at that age, an hypothetical kid transitioning around that age wouldn't have that much advantage in the field of athletism compared to their peers, specially if they're aiming for a transition before puberty is completed (which im under the understanding that it is a best case thing for transitioning.)

What did I say that was funny?

I'm 6'2/230lbs and have fought most of my life... I guarantee you I would get fucking obliterated by Rousey or Ali.

It takes a special kind of stupid to think that a guy who is the same size as a girl will win just because he's a guy.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not even remotely the same thing (competitively -wsie)
I am sorry, I should have worded my post more carefully. Writing posts on your phone on the bus is a bad idea. I wasn't as nuanced as I should have been there. No offense to anyone was intended.

entremet

Um, what?

Bone density which increases not only striking power but the ability to take strikes., thicker dermis layers, more power behind punches, etc.

Please stop.

Toxi

Banned
This reminds me of Oscar Pistorious, where people were unsure if his metal legs gave him an unfair advantage over the other Olympic runners.
We're at a point where the "baseline" for athletics is encountering difficulties.

Whether through illicit means like doping, or through identity issues like prosthetics or transgender individuals.

This is another issue entirely, but as we blur the lines of artificial limbs and cybernetic enhancement, there will eventually be a day where we have to say "this enhancement rules you ineligible to compete in this activity, because the physical/mental advantage renders competition meaningless."

Kurdel

Banned
People mention treatment or hormones. But not every transgender is on medication, right?

You can be transgender without taking meds? I thought it was more your identity than what you have done? Or am I off?

Gender dysphoria is people in the wrong body.

Transitioning is inherently a biological and physical process, because you get hormone therapy for like 2 years before surgery. For younger people, they can get hormone suppresants to avoid the more intense effects of puberty, while waiting to get physical operations as an adult.

So if you claim yourself as trans, you are 99% sure to be on medication, the other 1% being people who can"t afford it or haven't begun transitioning.

ApharmdX

Banned
Um, what?

Given equal skill, the stronger fighter will generally win. Rousey couldn't beat any male fighter in the top 20 at bantamweight.

Um, what?

Men's physical advantage isn't just body mass, though they have a significant edge even there due to body fat percentages. Weight classes would do little to level the playing field.

Justified

True, but that shouldn't matter. Are transgendered people not to be considered for scholarships?

Also, the whole sports scholarship thing bugs me way more than allowing transgendered people on sports teams.

They should, but thats the rub. Do they compete as the gender assignment or gender identity

Saucy_XL

Banned

I'm 6'2/230lbs and have fought most of my life... I guarantee you I would get fucking obliterated by Rousey or Ali.

It takes a special kind of stupid to think that a guy who is the same size as a girl will win just because he's a guy.

No one is arguing that.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

maybe you should train some ufc bro

Bone density which increases not only striking power but the ability to take strikes., thinker dermis layers, more power behind punches, etc.

Please stop.

Considering I've seen women beat the shit out of guys their size or bigger (Rousey was almost arrested for beating the hell out of 2 football players in high school), no, I'm not stopping. Thanks for asking.

No one is arguing that.

Then explain the people going "lol just stop" with absolutely no ground to stand on. And see above.

maybe you should train some ufc bro

Maybe you should post something relevant instead of shitposting, bro.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there's some sort of term that could describe this type of biological difference other than men and women. If we're going to accept trans-women as women, the terminology just doesn't sound right to tell women they're banned from the women's league and have to join the men's team.

Maybe this sounds silly, but the whole problem could be solved if you just called it something like the x league and y league, and remove the gender aspect altogether.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Sorry but it is the same in terms of treating people fairly.

No it isn't. They are completely different.

I want everyone to be treated fairly too, the question here is if you actually can with trans athletes.

If you're talking about treating people fairly, maybe think about the other female athletes. Is it fair to them?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I know men on average are physically stronger than women but does that necessarily translate to being faster?

look at world record holders in the 100. men have it by almost a full second. which is a lot in 100m dash. almost 2 seconds in the 200.

entremet

Considering I've seen women beat the shit out of guys their size or bigger (Rousey was almost arrested for beating the hell out of 2 football players in high school), no, I'm not stopping. Thanks for asking.

Football players are not fighters.

We're talking about similar caliber of athlete competing against each other. Not some randos.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Um, what?

You realize that a 150lbs man is way stronger and faster than a 150lbs woman, right?

She got beat by Holly Holms ffs.

Justified

So she should only play on male or coed teams? That's no more realistic

Those terms yes, but when it comes to sporting No

As far as where she should compete. Im honestly unsure right now. Its a tough one

Goodstyle

There are a lot more physical differences between men and women than just size.

norm9

So she should only play on male or coed teams? That's no more realistic

Competitive sports are extremely fair. Biological men compete against each other and bioligcal women compete against each other. Ability is the difference. Someone being more talented and more athletic is not unfair.

PSqueak

Banned
I was gonna say that this was one thing that E-sports wouldn't have to worry about, then i remembered the League of Legends Iron Solari division scandal and i got sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom