• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Overdoziz

Banned
lZMFiPD.png

!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When do reviews for this come out? I was on the verge of pre-ordering last night, but I figured I may as well wait for reviews.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Has anything been mentioned about how long the game is?

Man I hate talking about game length. I feel like it's a multiple-choice question where all the answers are wrong.

TL;DR
if you've played our first game then this one should be in the same ballpark for you

And now, for a treatise on game length! <standing on soap box, clearing throat>

In our playtests there was a lot of variance in play-through durations (as much as 50% difference from one player to the next). Some players take the fights in this game very deliberately while others don't, due to the nature of the planning mode and how it works.

Also there is (in my take-with-a-grain-of-salt opinion) a considerable amount of side content in this game that you can simply skip if you want to get to the end faster.

When making games at no point do we aim for some magical "hours of gameplay" number. It is more about making sure the promise set forth by the narrative and gameplay is delivered upon, without wasting the player's time. It's not difficult to make a game longer. It's more difficult to make a game with a good pace. We're more interested in seeing if we can do that.

The result we want is: If you're the type of person whose time is precious, we want you to be able to get through the game in a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have an experience that leaves a lasting and positive impression. We want you to not regret having played and finished one of our games.

If you're the type of person who wants to really dig into a game and spend a lot of quality time with it, we want to provide a lot of richness and variance in the gameplay to make it replayable and stay fresh so that you get a really good value. That's not about trying to be all things to all people, it's more about catering to two specific mindsets we happen to have on team and naturally gravitate to as game players.

Expectations about game length are all over the place so I hope this helps you calibrate yours.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Impressive. Some of the achievements in Bastion look quite difficult.

"About the Author" was brutal: survive all 30 stages of an arena setting with all diffiiculty modifiers active.

Jesb

In anticipation. I finally got bastion on steam today. Great looking game, but not the most fun I had with an indie game. Hoping this is more fun.

Tetranet

Transistor is one of those games that show that great graphics don't need extreme hardware to back them up. The entirety of the screen is wondrous and exceedingly interesting. Gazing at the city transports you.

overcast

I don't own a PS4 yet :[ I need this game so badly. Bastion was terrific and this looks better honestly.

My laptop isn't the way to go either.

Suggest not looking at this if you care about spoilers. A number of secret Trophies are unmarked here by default (you can hide them).

We worded them somewhat ambiguously so that they still may not mean much if you read them ahead of time but use caution.

I can't completely tell from the list, but are any of those missable collectables?

bakeray

I somehow had forgotten about this until I saw it on Steam last night before I went to bed. I absolutely loved Bastion and the art style of this immediately grabbed me.

Will be there Day 1 on PC.

No reviews for this ?!

Reviews will come on release day because of embargo.

i don't think it says anything about the quality of the game in this case, it can also be a way to generate momentum for sales when people can go and buy it right then after reading a good review.

We'll see.

Respawn

Banned
Man, my hype for this game is rising!

And a big thank you to Greg Kasavin for replying to everyone's questions in this thread! It's great that a game developer takes the time to listen to fans.
This. Just his answers alone guarantees a PS4 purchase. Hats off to the devs. Good or bad the game may be much respect for personally speaking with us.

This. Just his answers alone guarantees a PS4 purchase. Hats off to the devs. Good or bad the game may be much respect for personally speaking with us.

I was gonna get the game without pre-ordering, but after reading Greg's replies in this thread, I said "Screw it, I will drop the monies for the pre-order because Supergiant devs are awesome."

Suggest not looking at this if you care about spoilers. A number of secret Trophies are unmarked here by default (you can hide them).

We worded them somewhat ambiguously so that they still may not mean much if you read them ahead of time but use caution.

Good luck on Tuesday. I have my copy preordered. Really looking forward to this!

kasavin

Someone cosplayed Transistor at the Detroit Anime Con
http://instagram.com/p/oG5p7uB5oJ/

1. That is awesome.

2. If you've ever wondered if it's weird seeing cosplay for your game that's not even out... yes, yes it is...!

On one hand I totally get it and really appreciate and think it's amazing. On the other hand it is a big leap of faith that's hard for me to follow, as the folks doing this -- pouring maybe weeks or even more work into it -- don't even know where the story goes or whether the game is any good and all that. They're identifying with a character they only think they know. And I guess that's enough?

Anyway it is not something I've experienced before. There certainly wasn't a ton of Bastion cosplay before that game came out. The thought I and I think all of us on team always come back to is first feeling flattered by this stuff and next hoping / doing our best to make sure that the full game lives up to whatever promise folks like this see in it. Expectations are weird things.

Greg,

Now that Transistor will be released in a few days, has Supergiant Games begun working on a new project (even just pre-planning stuff), or are you taking a short break?

Slixshot

Banned
Greg,

Now that Transistor will be released in a few days, has Supergiant Games begun working on a new project (even just pre-planning stuff), or are you taking a short break?

Listen to the latest bombcast, my friend. Greg was on there playing 20 questions with Vinny and Brad regarding the development and just Greg's insight into the game-making process. If I recall correctly, Greg was saying that this time is like the "eye of the storm", as they sit and wait for the launch. Then they wait for the feedback and inevitably the bugs, at which point they work on fixing those.

Listen to the latest bombcast, my friend. Greg was on there playing 20 questions with Vinny and Brad regarding the development and just Greg's insight into the game-making process. If I recall correctly, Greg was saying that this time is like the "eye of the storm", as they sit and wait for the launch. Then they wait for the feedback and inevitably the bugs, at which point they work on fixing those.

I did, guess I missed that part. You don't remember that timestamp for that part, do you?

Slixshot

Banned
I did, guess I missed that part. You don't remember that timestamp for that part, do you?

No idea man. I'd look it up, but I'm sitting at my graduation right now. You could always just give the whole thing another listen. Vinnycasts are always the highest of quality and are meant to be enjoyed multiple times.

Top Bottom