• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

kasavin

Now that Transistor will be released in a few days, has Supergiant Games begun working on a new project (even just pre-planning stuff), or are you taking a short break?

No break just yet. We're all hands on deck to support the launch this week. Not like this is an MMO launch or anything but we need to be there to respond to people one way or another.

We don't have any other projects planned (we didn't after shipping Bastion either). We're 'all in' with this one and will see what happens this week and once the dust settles, and go from there. We don't know how we're going to feel in a few weeks so it would be premature to have new projects in mind. I've said before that one of the nice things about being small is you don't have to plan too far ahead.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No break just yet. We're all hands on deck to support the launch this week. Not like this is an MMO launch or anything but we need to be there to respond to people one way or another.

We don't have any other projects planned (we didn't after shipping Bastion either). We're 'all in' with this one and will see what happens this week and once the dust settles, and go from there. We don't know how we're going to feel in a few weeks so it would be premature to have new projects in mind. I've said before that one of the nice things about being small is you don't have to plan too far ahead.

I'm sure many PS fans would be interested in playing Bastion. :)

Ah, makes sense. Best of luck to you guys!

grumble

Best of luck! Loved bastion, looking forward to transistor and seeing what you guys come up with next!

wouwie

I rarely (well never actually) play RPG's but the fantastic presentation (visuals, music, design) is making this hard to resist.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm sure many PS fans would be interested in playing Bastion. :)

+1. Anything keeping you from releasing Bastion on PS4? (I already own it on iOS and PC. And I'll buy it again.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will there be a stand-alone DRM-free version of Transistor for PC?
We have no plans for a stand-alone installer for Transistor at this time. The Steam version of the game includes various features that require Steam, such as cloud saves, achievements, and trading cards, and for launch we did not want to create a separate version lacking these features. Note we have put no DRM in Transistor unless you count Steam as a form of DRM. Once you’ve downloaded the game from Steam, you don’t need Steam to be running in order to play.

Kudos to SG for doing this. It simply makes the most sense (the Steamworks features are there for those that want them but not at the cost of alienating those who'd prefer a DRM-free copy), but many developers/publishers who have DRM-free versions of their games don't bother opting against CEG/"Steam DRM" or are perhaps unaware that releasing a DRM-free game on Steam is even an option.

There are very few games I get day 1 anymore but this game shall be one of them. Looks great, awesome pedigree, and the world needs more cyberpunk.

bradigor

Aye, I'd be all over a Vita release of Bastion. Loved it on XBLA but think it would look stunning on my little bundle of joy.

Mdot

Game looks gorgeous. Totally being lazy, but can someone give me a quick run-down of the gameplay and what to expect?

and i hope they never do release it on xb1

parity clauses are anti consumer imo

Well it wouldn't be a very good parity clause if it gets released on xbox one.
Then again the more people that get to play and buy it the better.
I just wish I could pre-order/pre-load on EU-PSN, Sony need to sort that out.
Will be all over it on Wednesday.

Slixshot

Banned
Ordered myself the 11x17 print to go with my bastion print I got at pax prime 3 years ago. Also, had to buy the physical soundtrack. :)

Seda

When does the embargo lift?

Any news on playtime yet?

Trailer looks great. Any word on approximate length or replayability?

Embargo is noon on Tuesday.

As for length vvv

Man I hate talking about game length. I feel like it's a multiple-choice question where all the answers are wrong.

TL;DR
if you've played our first game then this one should be in the same ballpark for you

And now, for a treatise on game length! <standing on soap box, clearing throat>

In our playtests there was a lot of variance in play-through durations (as much as 50% difference from one player to the next). Some players take the fights in this game very deliberately while others don't, due to the nature of the planning mode and how it works.

Also there is (in my take-with-a-grain-of-salt opinion) a considerable amount of side content in this game that you can simply skip if you want to get to the end faster.

When making games at no point do we aim for some magical "hours of gameplay" number. It is more about making sure the promise set forth by the narrative and gameplay is delivered upon, without wasting the player's time. It's not difficult to make a game longer. It's more difficult to make a game with a good pace. We're more interested in seeing if we can do that.

The result we want is: If you're the type of person whose time is precious, we want you to be able to get through the game in a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have an experience that leaves a lasting and positive impression. We want you to not regret having played and finished one of our games.

If you're the type of person who wants to really dig into a game and spend a lot of quality time with it, we want to provide a lot of richness and variance in the gameplay to make it replayable and stay fresh so that you get a really good value. That's not about trying to be all things to all people, it's more about catering to two specific mindsets we happen to have on team and naturally gravitate to as game players.

Expectations about game length are all over the place so I hope this helps you calibrate yours.

cookiebandit18

Neo Member
Quick question for Kasavin if he sees this. How much will players be able to vary their combat style based on how they want to play the game? Will it have a good number of options like Bastion or a more specific set of core skills with detours here and there?

kasavin

How much will players be able to vary their combat style based on how they want to play the game? Will it have a good number of options like Bastion or a more specific set of core skills with detours here and there?

Being able to find your own fighting style within the game is a major goal of the design.

You unlock a bunch of different 'functions' for the Transistor, all usable in different contexts. For example, you start with functions called Crash() and Breach(). The first is a short-range stun, the second is a powerful long-range penetrating strike. Each should be useful on its own, but each can also be used to upgrade the other. Crash() can gain the long range and fast speed of Breach(), while Breach() can gain the stun and debuff effects of Crash().

That is a basic example and there are several thousands of these combinations in total. On team we were constantly finding new viable "builds". The game has certain systems in place to gently encourage players to experiment with different combinations rather than keep riding the first good combination you find.

Even just from a fiction standpoint, since the game is about this mysterious and powerful weapon, it was important to us that players could keep learning new things it can do all through the game.

Being able to find your own fighting style within the game is a major goal of the design.

You unlock a bunch of different 'functions' for the Transistor, all usable in different contexts. For example, you start with functions called Crash() and Breach(). The first is a short-range stun, the second is a powerful long-range penetrating strike. Each should be useful on its own, but each can also be used to upgrade the other. Crash() can gain the long range and fast speed of Breach(), while Breach() can gain the stun and debuff effects of Crash().

That is a basic example and there are several thousands of these combinations in total. On team we were constantly finding new viable "builds". The game has certain systems in place to gently encourage players to experiment with different combinations rather than keep riding the first good combination you find.

Even just from a fiction standpoint, since the game is about this mysterious and powerful weapon, it was important to us that players could keep learning new things it can do all through the game.

This sounds awesome, can't wait to play this.

I just pre-ordered the game today on Steam. Thank you for Bastion and this game. You guys all deserve an ice cold beer.

P.S. Can you use your powers to have Steam release this game at midnight? Pretty please! :)

solarus

We have no plans other than to launch Transistor on Tuesday this week and be around to support that launch. Everything else will depend on how it all shakes out.
There's no game I'm more looking forward to this year than Transistor :D
Huge fan of bastion and I love what I've seen of transistor so far.

TomShoe

Banned
We have no plans other than to launch Transistor on Tuesday this week and be around to support that launch. Everything else will depend on how it all shakes out.

Another question. I saw you referred to Transistor as "The Transistor." Would you consider the sword as an object, or a living being, since it has a consciousness? I was wondering about this because I noticed on the Wikipedia page that the sword
contained the consciousness of the last person killed by it

acklame

Preordered on ps4, haven't played Bastion either. Actually know next to nothing about this game but it looked cool from e3 2013 conference and I like RPGs. Looking forward to playing it!

I've had "We All Become" stuck in my head for months- so hauntingly good.

I absolutely can't wait to play this come Tuesday. Congrats to Supergiant on what will surely be another gem.

I wonder if there's going to be a Bastion easter egg anywhere in the game?

Been waiting for this game since announcement. Bastion was such a fun and beautiful game, I hope I don't have my hopes set to high for this. Also as an aside, I would double/triple dip for Bastion on PS consoles.

Top Bottom