• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Maedhros

Same thing happening to me. Seems like quite a few people have that problem looking at the Steam Forums.

Yeah. First game I ever had a problem with Steam... Bastion never gave me a problem. If I knew this would happen, I wouldn't have bought it at all. =(

And finished. Just got it around under
5 hours

The ending was pretty damn great.
Final bossfight was a fun surprise and the soundtrack Paper Boats in the final part was just perfect.

Overall, it's really worthwhile getting this terrific game. The art and soundtrack were definitely the 'stand-out' attributes for me. Can't really compare Bastion to this but Supergiant Games have surely got my confidence for their future projects.

Jomjom

Banned
So I just bought the soundtrack off of the Supergiant site with paypal, realized that the link would probably be sent to my paypal email with is an inactive school email that I'm just not realizing no longer forwards emails... So I'm fucked, right?

Email supergiant they'll fix it.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah. First game I ever had a problem with Steam... Bastion never gave me a problem. If I knew this would happen, I wouldn't have bought it at all. =(

Same here. I know you can't get refunds on steam games , but I issued a ticket asking if I can get a refund. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Alebeard

Neo Member
Just beat it. Fantastic game. Fantastic ending. going to do a Recursion play through later, curious to see if any of the dialog changes or what not.
also
the Function
Vortex
just breaks all the difficulty after you get it. The ability to
stack debuffs wrecks everything

Man, Supergiant killed it with the Mucha/Nouveau art styling. one of my favorite styles and just the icing on top of Transistors everything else.

I love seeing how much fun people are having with this.

I imagine also that a knock-on effect of these positive impressions might be increased sales of Hyper Light Drifter when that finally gets released. Don't get me wrong, Transistor is way more tactical than what HLD has been presented as so far, but I think people that might have passed on HLD and others yet picked up Transistor-- if for no other reason than a dearth of available new titles currently-- will now be more open to giving other upcoming ARPGs a chance.

I believe that more indies will be able to find greater success in the mainstream console market by standing on the shoulders of Supergiants.

Vire

Anyone else find the bit with Logan where
the transistor is being weakened really tiring?
seems like it's going on forever... and the voice acting here is kind of annoying.

Not really liking this part.

Zia

Have yet to finish, but as someone that didn't entirely regret playing Bastion, I'm baffled by the critical response to this in comparison to that. It's aesthetically, mechanically and conceptually leaps and bounds beyond what they attempted with Bastion and has the highest level of fit and finish of any indie game I've played in the last few years (and I've played a lot!)

I'm floored.

marrec

Banned
As someone who loved the aesthetics of Bastion but could never learn to love the shallow and repetitive combat, Transistor has exceeded all my expectations of the developers. The combat is amazingly complex and deep while still being fun to actually experience and the world and sound and characters of Transistor are all head and shoulders above what Bastion gave us.

Really amazing thing they've given us here. Can't wait to finish.

Gaz_RB

Anyone else find the bit with Logan where
the transistor is being weakened really tiring?
seems like it's going on forever... and the voice acting here is kind of annoying.

Not really liking this part.

I think that part is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable, for better or worse.

VanWinkle

Oh wow, this game is everything I hoped it would be and more honestly. An absolute joy to look at, listen to, and engage in. I was moderately hyped, but the outcome is so much more. Only a little into it, but I can't wait to dive deeper.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is anyone finding this game to be fairly laggy? I guess it's a low framerate, but I just can't imagine a game like this being that technically demanding. I have a mid-to-high-range laptop and can run Bastion just fine, too.

epmode

I feel like there may be some performance issues. I see my framerate drop in certain areas, even when I'm not in combat. Or maybe my videocard needs replacing.

VanWinkle

Is anyone finding this game to be fairly laggy? I guess it's a low framerate, but I just can't imagine a game like this being that technically demanding. I have a mid-to-high-range laptop and can run Bastion just fine, too.

I feel like there may be some performance issues. I see my framerate drop in certain areas, even when I'm not in combat. Or maybe my videocard needs replacing.

Hmm haven't noticed any stutters or frame drops on the PS4 version.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's even in the menu. Menu items will stall a bit before lighting up. Just, really strange. Might just be me, though.

EDIT: Nevermind. It was running off of my integrated card, not the Nvidia chip. I always forget to override that.

Maybesew

I might have missed it on the loading screen but I didn't see a warner brothers logo and I assumed it would be published by wb like bastion was

marrec

Banned
There definitely has been some framerate drops on the PS4 version, especially when there are lot's of particle effects. Nothing major, but I did notice it.

I may literally be the worst person to notice frame drops.

I thought Jak and Daxter on the Vita looked okay.

Shiokazu

did anyone make gifs of the game already?

heres one if nobody did yet:

singingred.gif

oops, little problem with this one.

epmode

It's even in the menu. Menu items will stall a bit before lighting up. Just, really strange. Might just be me, though.

Nah, there's a stutter being reported in the Steam forum. The game runs perfectly for ~7 seconds then hitches for a bit before smoothing out for another ~7 seconds. It was happening to me as well but it went away after I either downloaded the patch or updated my ancient video drivers to the latest Nvidia beta.

My only issue now is that certain (infrequent) areas of the game drop me from 60 to 30. The framerate goes back to normal once I leave the area. I suppose some ambient graphic effect is more heavy-duty than it seems. I'll screw around with it later.

A few things after 2hours:

- the best synergy between audio visuals and gameplay since hotline Miami.

-I can't decide on listening to the transistor on the controller or through headphones because the music is so excellent.

-it's style kinda strikes me as a trifecta of influences between kill bill, cowboy bebop and blade runner.

-I hit a moment in the upgrade screen where I went "I wish supergiant thought of..." And it was there.

-there are so many brilliant design choices. The handling if death, functions system, the little touches of text to furnish a pretty lonely world.

-this game is more diablo than bastion ever was. In fact the use of cover and postioning strangely reminds me of last gen's proliferation of cover shooters and topped off with old school fallout tatics. Bastion truly was just the beginning for SG.

-I am impressed thoroughly so far.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been really looking forward to this... but I have to admit, it didn't really grab me in the first 20 mins. or so.

GeoramA

Only an hour in, but goddamn I'm already hooked. No typical slow start like in most RPGs. It's just so stylish and unlike anything I've ever played.

I am loving this game.

Bought it and Wolfenstein at the same time and this is all I'm playing.

Is it just me or does the sword's voice sound eerily similar to Tom from Toonami?

Top Bottom