• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Jus started. Been so hyped for this game and now sitting here with the opening sequence music playing is f'in great. AMAZING soundtrack!

At first the game seemed to run like 20fps lol so turned my system off and back on, now it is silky smooth framerate. Anyone else have that happen?

5 hour game? Welp, I'm waiting for the first discount beforei dive in

Ugh, this is why I haven't been too crazy when I heard the $20 price tag. I know I sound cheap, but it just proves my point that these digital games are increasing the price for no good reason. This would have been $15 just last year...at PS3 or 360 launch first couple years, it would've been $10.

JLeack

Banned
5 hour game? Welp, I'm waiting for the first discount beforei dive in

I feel the same way. Yes, there are games like Uncharted that are only 10 hours in length despite being $59.99, but they usually have multiplayer, co-op, or lots of extra content to drive up the play value.

Vooduu

Were you bothered by the narrator in Bastion?

Surprisingly no. I really liked the Bastion narrator.

Have no idea why the sword narrator is killing me. It's battle, comment, take two steps, metaphoric comment, look at a door, comment. Can't even fully enjoy the soundtrack or art because the sword always wants to fucking chime in.

I'm happy.. Supergiant posted how to make the game run in a resolution above 1080p in the tech thread on the steam community forum, so I can play at native resolution instead of stretched 1080p.

It still looks beautiful at 1440p

click to enlarge said:
transistor2pmslv.jpg

Razma1

Ugh, this is why I haven't been too crazy when I heard the $20 price tag. I know I sound cheap, but it just proves my point that these digital games are increasing the price for no good reason. This would have been $15 just last year...at PS3 or 360 launch first couple years, it would've been $10.

I mean everyone has different styles of play so time will vary. I saw the new Wolfenstein beat in 10 hours on max difficulty which would translate to a fair amount less on normal and that's 60 bucks.

I would say the time for cost ratio is very fair when you factor in the games quality.

Grimløck;112798741 said:
can there be a moratorium on price whining?

The length is anywhere from 5-8 hours I don't see the problem. Eat your food slower, savor it, there is no flab. And there is new game plus, side content, and trophies if you're on the ps4

To all people complaining about the price, you definitely have the right, but, seriously, this is worth it...

I guess I just can't help feeling the value of the dollar compared to the game length is a valid point, when I consider all the "older" games that are equal or lesser price, that I could buy.

Something like SMT Nocture, or Digital Devil Saga being $10 on PSN, when there are so many hours of gameplay offered in something like those, and they are quality titles. They're old titles, yes...but they're still new to me. Even some PS3 games can be gotten for $20 like Ni No Kuni which would provide dozens of hours of quality game time.

Please keep in mind, I'm totally interested in this game, and think it looks cool. It's just hard to pull the trigger on the game at the price when I consider these factors.

Gaz_RB

I feel the same way. Yes, there are games like Uncharted that are only 10 hours in length despite being $59.99, but they usually have multiplayer, co-op, or lots of extra content to drive up the play value.

If you're the type of person that can get into it, this game has a deep enough combat system, a high skill ceiling, and will easily be worth the $20 for someone like me.

It can lead down a bad road if you decide to buy a game or not based on the amount of hours you'll get out of it. I almost missed Journey because I heard how short it was, but once I played it I easily would have paid $60 for it. But it all depends on the genres you're interested in, which I'm sure you know.

Idk, could be because SuperGiant grew to 10 people while developing Transistor and people don't work for free? Thus a higher price?

Or maybe because that's just what the developers felt was a reasonable price for their effort and work

Really I don't get this connection people make between cost and length. Quality and polish should dictate what you feel a game is worth, not some arbitrary length (which totally depends on the player and how fast or slow they play).

Just chiming in to say that while the game itself is awesome, it is rather deficient for a PC port as compared to their previous superior effort (Bastion)

As a point of reference, Bastion had the following choices in the graphics option/resolution menu:-

Compare that with Transistor, which is even more barebones:-

It's been stated that that you can change the resolution manually via a commandline option but that shouldn't have to be done in the first place. Basic resolutions like 720p are missing from the in game menu.

Another very important option, Vsync is also missing from the options. According to FRAPS, the game looks like it's forcing double buffered Vsync all the time, which is great for Image Quality if your card can handle it, but terrible for control latency and performance if your card can't reach locked 60 all the time.

I rather turn it off and get a variable framerate if I could to minimize input lag and gain better performance, granted I am on a crappy laptop.

Supergiant Games, if you could rectify the above in a patch, the port will be perfect.

Kudos on your 2nd major release, cheers.

marrec

Banned
I guess I just can't help feeling the value of the dollar compared to the game length is a valid point, when I consider all the "older" games that are equal or lesser price, that I could buy.

Something like SMT Nocture, or Digital Devil Saga being $10 on PSN, when there are so many hours of gameplay offered in something like those, and they are quality titles. They're old titles, yes...but they're still new to me. Even some PS3 games can be gotten for $20 like Ni No Kuni which would provide dozens of hours of quality game time.

Please keep in mind, I'm totally interested in this game, and think it looks cool. It's just hard to pull the trigger on the game at the price when I consider these factors.

I don't know if this is the time or place to discuss the finer points of the value of a dollar but as someone who paid 50 dollars for Nocturne I would say that the return on investment for what you play is entirely dependant on your enjoyment of the media you're consuming. I liked Nocturne well enough, but it's a slog in some places and is padded with tedious aspects.

Where as, what I've played of Transistor, is expertly paced and stuffed to the brim with interesting content that doesn't seem like filler.

In the end it's up to you, but you can't really say if it's not worth your 20 dollars until you actually pay 20 dollars for it and play it.

Guys, if you're feeling burned by the value of the game then pony up for the soundtrack. Good music is forever man.

I'm a cheap bum who hasn't bought anything yet. But I spent some hard earned bandwidth here! I think I know what I'm talking about.

5 hours is perfect for me, longer games tend to end up in my backlog. The only games that I want to be more than 10 hours are JRPGs. :p

Wasn't Bastion around 5 hours too? I loved that game and didn't mind the length.

Man I'm so glad I can afford this hobby. I have never given consideration to hours of a game. I just enjoy the experience. Dudes in here complaining about length, and still coming up short.

Grief.exe

Posted this in the Steam thread, but thought it would be relevant here as well.

I'm actually enjoying Transistor much more than I am Bastion.

In Bastion, you could switch weapons, but they were all a play on a similar technique for the most part. What I mean by that is, they didn't change up the gameplay to a significant degree.

In Transistor, each of your 'weapons' gives you the ability to attack, upgrade existing weapons with new abilities, or add passive abilities. The shear myriad of options and how much they do shift the core gameplay always keeps the combat fresh.

Do I want to pull all of the enemies in for huge damage? Hit them from far away and punish large groups? Do I want to focus on summoning helpers to my side and mind-control all the enemies? Do I want to dash around or play stealthy? Do I want to turtle with energy shields and stuns? These are just a few of the many strategies you can come up with by just switching your various abilities around.

Excellent narration, art style, and audio is par for the course with Supergiant Games. No need to discuss that as they have surpassed Bastion in every degree in these respects as well as gameplay.

You are kind of stretching the comparison to the limits here.

For one thing, you are comparing games that are near a decade old. Price of games decay over time, with Transistor being a brand new game released today. Supergiant needs to recoup the costs of development as quickly as possible, then can begin to gradually generate revenue through sales.

I also have a tough time with the money/time philosophy. Tightly controlled action games don't tend to be quite as lengthy when compared to other genres such as JRPGs. When I am playing a JRPG I know I am in for a slow-burning adventure, while playing an action game you recognize that the experience will be more fast-paced.

Does this make the former better than the latter? Far from it. That is why it is difficult to correlate the amount of time you spend with a piece of media to the cost. Just buy a game and enjoy it for what it is, don't try to compare completely different experiences to try to justify some arbitrary price constraint.

Does this have an arcade mode like Bastion's where you fought waves of enemies? If so I really don't get the game length complaints.

The backdoor lead to various challenge areas that each focus on a different skill.

Played the first level. I'm very intrigued. I love the art style and the animation, so vibrant. And one thing that I thought I'd never care for outside of pointless voice memos was the sword talking to you from the controller (and the light flashing alongside the controller). It's a sort of breaking the 4th wall thing that I can understand.

Has anyone tried to overkill an enemy? I was about to put 240 points of damage onto an enemy with only 10 points of health by freezing time and using Crash() five times - it told me (OVERKILL!) about four times, then at the fifth time it read (DO YOU EVEN READ). I thought it was pretty funny.

Mikey Jr.

Guys. I can buy call of duty 4 for $10 and get 200 hours of gameplay. Think of DAT money to hour ratio.

I'm literally making money at that point.

Not this silly transistor with its beautiful soundtrack and addicting gameplay.

xkramz

Has anyone tried to overkill an enemy? I was about to put 240 points of damage onto an enemy with only 10 points of health by freezing time and using Crash() five times - it told me (OVERKILL!) about four times, then at the fifth time it read (DO YOU EVEN READ). I thought it was pretty funny.
I spammed one move 5 times under turn () and the sword was like " well.. that's one way to handle things" lmfao this game man.. I'm in love

Haha, that's great.

I emailed the dev about graphics options and stuff like disabling VSync
Response was

"Hi, the following command line options are available that allow you to do some of these things:
/nofixedstep
/SwapInterval=1, 0, or -1 (for Vysnc on, off, and adaptive respectively)"

Where would I find these? What' would "nofixedstep" affect? (I also asked about reducing/disabling AA, blur, etc.)
---
I must be slower than most. I'm three hours in, just left the dock

Ambition

Played the first level. I'm very intrigued. I love the art style and the animation, so vibrant. And one thing that I thought I'd never care for outside of pointless voice memos was the sword talking to you from the controller (and the light flashing alongside the controller). It's a sort of breaking the 4th wall thing that I can understand.
I'm with you there. I never thought the DS4's LED would immerse me as much as it has; it's almost like I'm holding the Transistor!

I'm with you there. I never thought the DS4's LED would immerse me as much as it has; it's almost like I'm holding the Transistor!

Exactly! Using the DS4 makes the experience much more immersive. I'm appreciating the lightbar more and more. It really is up to developers to be creative about its usage and Supergiant Games have done a wonderful job here.

Top Bottom