• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Grief.exe

Was planning on buying this on PC but it looks like Ill wait on the bugs to be ironed out.

The games are hardly game breaking, Suipergiant have already pushed out a quick patch and are working on another.

Highly doubt these issues will persist for much longer, and they shouldn't keep you from picking up the game if you are interested.

Grief.exe

Need some PC vs PlayStation 4 comparisons.

It's really a toss up between the two versions, what particular features appeal to you.

Both versions run at 1080p/60 FPS, with the PC version unable to go higher in either respect.

You either have streaming to the Vita or In Home Streaming through Steam, with the PC version having infinite backwards compatibility.

EDIT: Meant to make this part of my first post, sorry.

Epcott

I hate RTS games and isometric games.

Should I still give this a try? I'm an old school RPG fan (Chrono Trigger, FF6, Beyond the Oasis, Super Mario RPG kinda guy). Also, is this bogged down with systems or pretty easy to get into and straight forward?

It's really a toss up between the two versions, what particular features appeal to you.

Both versions run at 1080p/60 FPS, with the PC version unable to go higher in either respect.

You either have streaming to the Vita or In Home Streaming through Steam, with the PC version having infinite backwards compatibility.

Actually with PS4 you can put the voice on the controller (kinda cool)

It may sound dumb to some people but I will buy this because they didn't add any stupid combat rating systems after every battle or area to tell me how much I suck at the game. I really really hate some games' incessant need to rate you on everything when I just want to play the game my way and at my own pace. So thank you Supergiant and enjoy my money.

What are your guys favorite builds early in the game? Having a hard time deciding what to use.

I've been playing around with:
(spoilers for those who haven't played yet)
Crash
Breach
Mask/Jaunt + Switch
Help + Spark
Passive: Bounce

Help + Spark gives you two 'friends' to fight for you, really useful since I've been turning on all limiters, and the limiter that spawns shielded cells can be taken out easily with Help.

Mask gives you stealth, Jaunt is the useful dash. Adding Switch gives you the ability to temporarily turns enemies to your side. It's great when you need a breather if the screen is full of enemies; Switch a Cheerleader and it'll give you shields!

I need to play around with more combos, but I like what I'm using so far. Anyone want to critique my build?

Ashtar

Where the supergiant gang at? Can y'all switch the triggers (make l2 and r2 be vita triggers) on remote play or at least allow customization? Using back touch is tough.
Fighting in this game is pretty tough.
Should I include getting into cover in my planning stage?

Ryne

You can increase the resolution, if it helps: http://steamcommunity.com/app/237930/discussions/0/558756256586842153/

Gaz_RB

Should I still give this a try? I'm an old school RPG fan (Chrono Trigger, FF6, Beyond the Oasis, Super Mario RPG kinda guy). Also, is this bogged down with systems or pretty easy to get into and straight forward?

Idk, honestly from what you've given, I don't think you'll like it.

calder

I almost can't believe how much I love the art and soundtrack. The first time it prompted me to use 'flourish' I sat there for like two full minutes, great stuff.

Happily, I'm also really digging the combat and story. Huge fan of the story telling too, in media res doesn't always click with me in games but here it's wonderful.

Most of the text is way too small for me to read. I'm playing on PS4, so I'm playing on a TV (50"), a good 12ft away. Maybe if I was sitting 3 ft away from a monitor it would be OK.

hawk2025

It may sound dumb to some people but I will buy this because they didn't add any stupid combat rating systems after every battle or area to tell me how much I suck at the game. I really really hate some games' incessant need to rate you on everything when I just want to play the game my way and at my own pace. So thank you Supergiant and enjoy my money.

YES.

It is awful to play games where you are constantly reminded that "hey, you cleared this battle, but you were awful at it. Here's a D!"

LiK

Played about 2 hours. Really great so far. Such a pretty game and the music is great too. Loving the combat so far. So damn intuitive.

I like how when you die you don't actually die, but just lose access to an ability for a little bit.

Where the supergiant gang at? Can y'all switch the triggers (make l2 and r2 be vita triggers) on remote play or at least allow customization? Using back touch is tough.
Fighting in this game is pretty tough.
Should I include getting into cover in my planning stage?

You can edit controls in settings.

megalowho

It doesn't feel like an RTS or JRPG, more of a cross between a methodical action RPG and turn based strategy. The combat and upgrade system has a lot of potential depth but it's just as easy to slot new abilities as you go and roll with it. Not nearly as system heavy as something like, say, The World Ends With You, though it reminds me of that game in how personalized your loadout can get. It is mostly isometric.

Eusis

ps4. was just asking about overall game quality versus platform though :)
I haven't gotten far in Transistor, but I think that balances out the fact I only played the Child of Light demo:

I like Transistor better. Maybe Child of Light lasts a bit longer and even if not it is more bang for your buck, but you can always check that out later.

Zee-Row

Banned
I see that this game is called an Action RPG but is it an Action RPG style from the 16 bit era like Ys? Does it have a leveling system?

Tizoc

So I'm still fairly early in the game but I just defeated
Sybil
, and want to know what are the best abilities to use atm and what 'bonus' abilities I should be using as equipment to those abilities?

Gaz_RB

So I'm still fairly early in the game but I just defeated
Sybil
, and want to know what are the best abilities to use atm and what 'bonus' abilities I should be using as equipment to those abilities?

I think you will get a lot more out of the game if you experiment with all the different combinations and decide what you like best, rather than someone else telling you what the "best abilities" are. I spent an hour or two in the practice rooms just figuring out what I liked the most.

Just my opinion though. I'm sure some will give you some good strats.

I played an hour before work and daaaaamn. Game is good.

Went to the Bandcamp page immediately after playing and bought the soundtrack. Listening to it while on the assembly line at work. It's spectacular.

Wunder

Plonked another hour in after a quick nap and damn this game continues to impress. Combat wise I'm still having a lot of fun experimenting and unlocking the various files to read, and I have to say playing a Crash/Breach-less build changes the way you play a lot and pretty great. I like that there are certain builds that are viable outside of Turn() and some that 100% require it. That being said, the limiters seem a bit awkward, I'm all for more difficulty since I've only really been in trouble once or twice, but 2 or 4% exp boost for something as huge as
Double damage
seems rough. I'm not sure I'm game for something like that since the reward doesn't seem worth it. Maybe a NG+ thing for me.

Jomjom

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks to Greg and the team. Accidentally deleted my email with the link to dl the OST and you guys responded to my email in like 5 minutes. Im obsessed with this soundtrack.

Oh yeah loving the game as well. The gameplay is great, so much customization and experimentation. Ive been changing up and mixing skills at almost every node thingy. The combat just feels right. Im not just using the same skill every time. Although sometimes i just queue up 5 backstabs just for that vicious im gonna bash you into the ground feel.

Maybe im just weird but every once in a while i gotta just hold down L1 and hear Red hum for a couple minutes.

Grief.exe

Found an interesting combination.

Switch() - Spawns robot dogs to assist you
Augment that with:
Spark() - Spawns two robots
Help() - Their attack causes enemies to join your cause.

Your robot dogs essentially become invincible at this point. Anything that attacks them gets turned to their side, so you have an army of replicating robots.
The dog's attack does a fair bit of damage as well, so they are whittling the enemy's health down as they bring enemies to your side to attack other enemies.

Good to know for those stuck with a 1440p monitor.

Epcott

It doesn't feel like an RTS or JRPG, more of a cross between a methodical action RPG and turn based strategy. The combat and upgrade system has a lot of potential depth but it's just as easy to slot new abilities as you go and roll with it. Not nearly as system heavy as something like, say, The World Ends With You, though it reminds me of that game in how personalized your loadout can get. It is mostly isometric.

I like personalization, and the less system heavy like TWEWY the better! I don't mind depth as long as the interface is easy to get into. I think I may try this out if it has decent length.

Thanks!

Edit: fuck it... Bought. I'm not buying Watch_Dogs any time soon so why not?

Something fun I found: when you listen to the music player, the sound will pan across the left and right channels depending on where Red is standing. Works best with headphones.

The little details in this game are amazing.

Just started... does the sound/mixing of the narrator-sword-thing get any better? It's hard to understand and borderline unpleasant to listen to.

Flo_Evans

Eh so there is no leaderboards or anything?

love this game but I feel like bastion is the bread and butter of the team, I wouldn't mind the next bastion game to have the art style/character design of Transistor though

Wunder

It was definitely a calculated move, because of how varied your playstyle can become. They want to encourage experimentation as much as possible, not pigeon hole you into one playstyle. In a game like DMC or Bayonetta where you only have X number of upgrades and/or can dodge almost anything, a rating system is there for the completionists. A rating system here would just make me feel silly for trying out different builds

Top Bottom