• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Fou-Lu

Loving the atmosphere and music so far, combat is also much more intriguing than Bastion ever was. Please tell me the test rooms get harder though, waaaay too easy.

SlickVic

I guess I just can't help feeling the value of the dollar compared to the game length is a valid point, when I consider all the "older" games that are equal or lesser price, that I could buy.

Something like SMT Nocture, or Digital Devil Saga being $10 on PSN, when there are so many hours of gameplay offered in something like those, and they are quality titles. They're old titles, yes...but they're still new to me. Even some PS3 games can be gotten for $20 like Ni No Kuni which would provide dozens of hours of quality game time.

Please keep in mind, I'm totally interested in this game, and think it looks cool. It's just hard to pull the trigger on the game at the price when I consider these factors.

To be fair, you are giving examples of older games that were not sold at those cheap price points when they first came out.

But you certainly are welcome to wait for a price drop. The next big Steam sale is under 2 months away, and I imagine a similar deal will pop up on PSN within the same time frame as well. Personally, I also tend to look at the dollar/hour value of games when considering purchases, but I am willing to pay a bit of a "premium" for a game if I feel I'm going to enjoy it. And I'm not quite sure if Transistor necessarily has a premium price for its length. They're a small studio, and my guess is the game wasn't terribly cheap to make (as far as indie games go).

Baliis

Played up to a bit past the second boss, really loving it so far. Tons of combat options, and I love the trial things. Some of the planning and speed ones have actually made me think quite a bit on how I'm going to do it.

Awesome, the game crashed again and I lost my save 3 hours in.

My character randomly just sped off / ran off the screen...and I had to escape > quit. When I tried to load my save, it says it's corrupted and it's forcing me to restart the game.

I had 3-4 hours myself.

Good times. It's getting to the point where I regret buying any and every game nowadays.

Jesb

Those speed trials are a challenge. I wonder if we can ignore them and just focus on them after you finish the game? I've only done a couple so far.

Not my style of game but the art direction is sick. Any other good fan art?

http://kr0npr1nz.deviantart.com/art/Transistor-454779670

transistor_by_kr0npr1nz-d7iri8m.jpg

Exactly! Using the DS4 makes the experience much more immersive. I'm appreciating the lightbar more and more. It really is up to developers to be creative about its usage and Supergiant Games have done a wonderful job here.

This right here makes me regret getting it on Steam instead of the PS4. Wish the PC version supported the PS4 controller.

PS4 buyers: remember to go into game settings and turn on the controller speaker. Wow what a cool, haunting difference it makes! It defaults to OFF.

btkadams

Wow. Genius idea to have reverb of the guy's voice play out of the TV speaker when you have his voice coming out of the dualshock. It's such a cool effect!

Shaneus

Exactly! Using the DS4 makes the experience much more immersive. I'm appreciating the lightbar more and more. It really is up to developers to be creative about its usage and Supergiant Games have done a wonderful job here.
Man, I was going to be all about the PC version... but that has me thinking about the PS4 one.

What's the bet the PC version in Australia is USD$20 on Steam, whereas it'll be $90AUD on our PSN or some shit. Stupid PSN regional pricing.

Anyone know about this?
I emailed the dev about graphics options and stuff like disabling VSync
Response was

"Hi, the following command line options are available that allow you to do some of these things:
/nofixedstep
/SwapInterval=1, 0, or -1 (for Vysnc on, off, and adaptive respectively)"

Where would I find these? What' would "nofixedstep" affect? (I also asked about reducing/disabling AA, blur, etc.)

Trey

I don't really like how death is handled. It punishes you for dying by restricting your options, therefore making the game less fun for the next battle, maybe two. At least give me a choice to die outright and do the fight over with a full complement of functions.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't really like how death is handled. It punishes you for dying by restricting your options, therefore making the game less fun for the next battle, maybe two. At least give me a choice to die outright and do the fight over with a full complement of functions.

I found this to be one of the most refreshing things about the whole experience. You can always opt to restart the encounter since save points are extremely frequent if you're too worried about being without the move you lost. But on the same hand, it encourages experimentation with the other moves so you have a full deck of cards to play with until you're able to get your broken skill back.

I've actually found combos I liked a lot thanks to messing up in combat and losing a move I leaned on too much. Keeps it fresh.

To each their own, I suppose~

Island

Gorgeous art, haunting soundtrack, perfect narration. Man this game gives me the feels...
Spoiler for how far I am in the game:
Just got to the part where the Transistor turns red and talks weird.

The combat is a nice mix of strategy and running around trying not to die; and the
limiters
add a nice bit of depth.

Love it.

Edit:
I found this to be one of the most refreshing things about the whole experience. You can always opt to restart the encounter since save points are extremely frequent if you're too worried about being without the move you lost. But on the same hand, it encourages experimentation with the other moves so you have a full deck of cards to play with until you're able to get your broken skill back.

I've actually found combos I liked a lot thanks to messing up in combat and losing a move I leaned on too much. Keeps it fresh.

To each their own, I suppose~

I agree. It forces you to try something new, instead of being "comfortable" and trying to min/max.

Different strokes. This is one of my favorite things in the game. Perfect death penalty IMO because I really make sure I'm more careful.

Anyone know about this?

For Bastion, it was this -

-nofixedstep

Turns off fixed time step so that the game no longer dictates the frame rate. (This may improve performance for some users but may also lead to erratic performance in other cases.)

I'm assuming it has a similar effect for Transistor

Haven't been able to play long, but I am enjoying it a great deal. So stylish!

"Friend" or whatnot that summons a helper combined with the stealth ability as a modifier is breaking early game. The helper can move so far and does so much damage, not to mention it distracts enemies.

I'm on the PS4 but, I assume those lines can be added to an ini or the in game console - if it even has one - ? Sorry if this isn't helping.

For Bastion, it was this -

-nofixedstep

Turns off fixed time step so that the game no longer dictates the frame rate. (This may improve performance for some users but may also lead to erratic performance in other cases.)

I'm assuming it has a similar effect for Transistor
I'm about as clueless as can be in terms of technical stuff and files. Does Transistor have an ini file? How would I change it? Mainly I want to disable the Vsync.

Trey

I agree. It forces you to try something new, instead of being "comfortable" and trying to min/max.

It forces me to min/max further by cheesing it out after dying once. I don't think there's anything wrong with being comfortable, and options shouldn't be restricted on that basis. In my opinion.

I understand wanting to coax the player into trying other functions; I just don't think taking away certain toys is the best way to go about it. You already have the brilliant Tests (spiritual successors to Bastion's weapon challenges) to serve as function advertisement.

I suppose my complaint is almost completely mitigated by being able to restart a battle/reload a save. It's my only issue with the game.

Shaneus

So, assuming they're the same price to Australians... PS4 or PC version? Sounds like the PS4 makes nifty use of the controller to add immersion.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm about as clueless as can be in terms of technical stuff and files. Does Transistor have an ini file? How would I change it? Mainly I want to disable the Vsync.

You would apply the -nofixedstep by adding it to the game's launch options. Right click on the game in your library, properties, set launch options.

-MD-

So, assuming they're the same price to Australians... PS4 or PC version? Sounds like the PS4 makes nifty use of the controller to add immersion.

I feel like if the piece of plastic I was holding talked to me that'd break immersion.

Jomjom

Banned
Ugh, this is why I haven't been too crazy when I heard the $20 price tag. I know I sound cheap, but it just proves my point that these digital games are increasing the price for no good reason. This would have been $15 just last year...at PS3 or 360 launch first couple years, it would've been $10.

I hope you've gotten a raise in a year's time too. Because if not you should be asking.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Argh! Can't get the speed run 2 finished. I keep getting down to one enemy and have like a second left to kill it (the lady that teleports after one hit!). Pure hate right now.

I hope you've gotten a raise in a year's time too. Because if not you should be asking.

All the years I've been working, raises have been crap. When I first had my first job, min wage was about $5.xx, and I slowly got raises where it eventually got to over $7 an hour, by that time, min wage had been raised to $7.25, so my raises after working for years put me just about where the new min wage was. My next job was at retail after that, ha! raises were like 10 cents every 6 months. Barely made it above $8 an hour, even after becoming manager. Fuck this economy. Cost of things goes up, but the pay never did.

I've gone back to college since then, and hoping to get a better paying job in the future.

DNAbro

Argh! Can't get the speed run 2 finished. I keep getting down to one enemy and have like a second left to kill it (the lady that teleports after one hit!). Pure hate right now.

Here is how i dealt with that one.
Make sure to kill the big guy first. I believe the ability is get() {the one that brings it to you}, so you don't have to walk over to him. To kill the lady, just use get() without stopping time. once it breaks down, then stop time to get all the little things it spits out.

Has anyone tried to overkill an enemy? I was about to put 240 points of damage onto an enemy with only 10 points of health by freezing time and using Crash() five times - it told me (OVERKILL!) about four times, then at the fifth time it read (DO YOU EVEN READ). I thought it was pretty funny.

It can actually go farther. I don't know what the limit is, but I got the following in order, when declaring sparks against a dying, crashed enemy:

Transistor said:
OVERKILL!
OVERKILL!!
DO YOU EVEN READ
OVERKILL!!!
YOU ARE MEAN

newsguy

I'm not catching on with the combat. For one, I get confused when there are a ton of enemies on screen. Another thing is that I don't like most of the moves you're given. Also, The story makes zero sense to me. I'm not sure if it will eventually or if I'm supposed to be reading deeply between the lines.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Okay, last thing because I don't want to do it wrong

Do I put in:

/SwapInterval=0
-SwapInterval=0
SwapInterval=0

Not sure if the symbol matters. Sorry if this is annoying. I like literally know nothing about altering game files.

sorry it took me a while to stumble back here

-swapinterval 0

would be the correct format, I believe. Steam separates flags by the "-" and doesn't use anything else

Seeing a 411MB update being pushed through on Steam right now. No patchnotes I can see yet.

Just finished it and absolutely loved it. The combat is so much better than I expect as you flow in and out of active/passive perfectly when you get the hang of it. Ending was great, but I don't want to say much more. It was everything and more that I could have wanted out of the game. Maybe even better than Bastion. Lovely game, great job Supergiant Games.

Trouble

Banned

I must have done that one 8 or 9 times before I got lucky and completed it.

shogunduk

i'm about an hour into it and it might just be my GOTY. i have to play a bit longer before i can officially say that, but it's looking good.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

I absolutely hate this. I'm not going to have an ability sit out a couple of battles when I can just restart the fight.

Jomjom

Banned
All the years I've been working, raises have been crap. When I first had my first job, min wage was about $5.xx, and I slowly got raises where it eventually got to over $7 an hour, by that time, min wage had been raised to $7.25, so my raises after working for years put me just about where the new min wage was. My next job was at retail after that, ha! raises were like 10 cents every 6 months. Barely made it above $8 an hour, even after becoming manager. Fuck this economy. Cost of things goes up, but the pay never did.

I've gone back to college since then, and hoping to get a better paying job in the future.

Damn then I can see why the $20 is steep. I don't think Supergiant will begrudge you waiting for a price drop before getting it.

Top Bottom