• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Corpekata

Banned
Didn't notice you get more background info if you switch your abilities around more. Neat little way to encourage switching things around.

Vire

I may or may not have stayed up till 5 AM to beat the game.

Quick review:

Positives:

+ Stellar visuals
+ Amazing atmosphere
+ Incredible soundtrack
+ Deep/mix and match combat, this is an area that was significantly improved over Bastion.
+ Extra challenge rooms are really fun!
+ High replay value with New Game +

Negatives:

- Confusing and overly pretentious storyline. There are bits about the story that I enjoyed, but the things I did like were more related to world building and are more conceptual in nature. Maybe new details will come to light or things that I may of missed the first time around will become more clear on repeat playthroughs, but I don't think it's a particularly well told story.
Why is Red forced to be speechless? Why is this group trying to assassinate Red in the first place? I really could not tell you these things.
- Framerate takes a nosedive in some of the later areas, especially with the amount of enemies they throw at you and with upgraded functions going off. (I experienced single digits in one area, granted I was spamming Pulse).
- Wasn't crazy about the last boss fight.
- A bit more variety would have been nice, possible puzzle elements could have spiced things up a bit.

Overall I really liked the game, more so than Bastion - especially from a gameplay standpoint. Thank you SuperGiant games, this definitely felt like a labor of love! I'm looking forward to replaying this many many times.

So what would y'all say is the challenge level for Transistor, compared to Bastion and to other games like this? I've heard different things about the extra challenge rooms, so this question's about the main game itself. Limiters seem to increase the risk/reward element, too, and the battle systems are much more interesting than those in Bastion (main reason I passed on that game).

Endo Punk

Can't wait to get the game this weekend. First download title on PS4.

15 fucking quid!

This better be bloody phenomenal.

That's not really asking much for a 5 hour game. Of course it would be nice cheaper but looking at videos the art style, soundtrack and gameplay all look top notch.

Zakalwe

Banned
So what would y'all say is the challenge level for Transistor, compared to Bastion and to other games like this? I've heard different things about the extra challenge rooms, so this question's about the main game itself. Limiters seem to increase the risk/reward element, too, and the battle systems are much more interesting than those in Bastion (main reason I passed on that game).

It's as difficult as you want to make it. Limiters can severely increase danger and challenge, and if you choose to take on battles by attempting to figure out the most efficient way to clear each battle becomes a puzzle to solve.

Not to mention the mod system that offers myriad solutions to each encounter.

It really is something.

Corpekata

Banned
They've said on here that on PS4 there were a few moments they sacrificed the framerate for so those might be what they're speaking of.

Crashes obviously are not part of that.

valkyre

Negatives:

- Framerate takes a nosedive in some of the later areas, especially with the amount of enemies they throw at you and with upgraded functions going off. (I experienced single digits in one area, granted I was spamming Pulse).

Thanks a lot for your input.

Regarding the framerate, how often does it happen? It looks quite alarming to drop to single digits.

Is the game running in 30 fps or 60 fps?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Regarding the framerate, how often does it happen? It looks quite alarming to drop to single digits.

Is the game running in 30 fps or 60 fps?

The game runs 60 but in certain areas they toned down the frame rate.

EU store will update in the next few hours.

Can someone tell me how are the jaggies on the PS4 version coming from someone that supersamples a lot.

If the framerate seems bad I might as well just use my DS4 on PC.

Smash88

Banned
I think I'm more disappointed that there is no higher resolution than 1920x1200.

Pure console port when they don't even have 2560x1440. Really let down.

epmode

I think I'm more disappointed that there is no higher resolution than 1920x1200.

Pure console port when they don't even have 2560x1440. Really let down.

You can manually specify a resolution in the launch options just like you could in Bastion. Doesn't change the fact that the source art was drawn for 1080p but it should look a bit better.

Ken

Played about 30 minutes on the PC. This game has been fantastic except for the freezing every 2 seconds during the
Young Lady 2.0
fight. There was even a brief freeze when using an access point after the fight. Pretty much unplayable.

Really enjoying the combat system though; I'm having a lot more fun with this than I did with Bastion.

LiK

I played the PS4 version last night and encountered zero bugs and freezing issues mentioned here. I guess most issues are related to PC only.

Btw, if you guys encounter weird issues, make sure to say which platform too.

Am I the only one here who tries to play the game on Parallel Desktop on my Mac? Game crashes by start because of a Shader/OpenGL problem... :/

Andrew.

Banned
Someone on my PSN list said that the game reminded them of Parasite Eve.

I downloaded it immediately.

Only played for a couple fo minutes (it was late), but holy shit that soundtrack!

HowZatOZ

Banned
Art style is absolutely gorgeous, and the soundtrack is wonderful, definitely buying that one. Combat though is a bit...weird. I definitely prefer Bastion's take on it, and Transistor seems very twitchy at the moment though maybe its because I've only played an hour or so. Just annoys me that changing attack types actually activates said attack.

Pietepiet

Played only about 30 minutes but I'm already in love with this game so here's a thing:
transistor.png

kubus

Just came here to post that Transistor is now available through the web app in Europe but looks like I was beaten to it :D

Downloading now!

Top Bottom