• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Zeliard

So what? We're not discussing the value of Gone Home

This is what Greg Kasavin had to say about the game's length:

Man I hate talking about game length. I feel like it's a multiple-choice question where all the answers are wrong.

TL;DR
if you've played our first game then this one should be in the same ballpark for you

And now, for a treatise on game length! <standing on soap box, clearing throat>

In our playtests there was a lot of variance in play-through durations (as much as 50% difference from one player to the next). Some players take the fights in this game very deliberately while others don't, due to the nature of the planning mode and how it works.

Also there is (in my take-with-a-grain-of-salt opinion) a considerable amount of side content in this game that you can simply skip if you want to get to the end faster.

When making games at no point do we aim for some magical "hours of gameplay" number. It is more about making sure the promise set forth by the narrative and gameplay is delivered upon, without wasting the player's time. It's not difficult to make a game longer. It's more difficult to make a game with a good pace. We're more interested in seeing if we can do that.

The result we want is: If you're the type of person whose time is precious, we want you to be able to get through the game in a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have an experience that leaves a lasting and positive impression. We want you to not regret having played and finished one of our games.

If you're the type of person who wants to really dig into a game and spend a lot of quality time with it, we want to provide a lot of richness and variance in the gameplay to make it replayable and stay fresh so that you get a really good value. That's not about trying to be all things to all people, it's more about catering to two specific mindsets we happen to have on team and naturally gravitate to as game players.

Expectations about game length are all over the place so I hope this helps you calibrate yours.

Shaneus

Well, fuck. Transistor on the US PSN store is $20. Australia? $28.

At least $20US in Steam is $20US in Australia as well. Not as bad as the Australia Tax for Pinball Arcade, though. $30 season pack in the US is $44 in Australia.

Is there a reward for clearing out the room with (late game spoilers)
the six Ladies?
It seems optional since you're told to just go through a door and flee. But I stuck around and killed them all. When I finished the fight, I didn't get an XP screen, just a pat on the back.

Pietepiet

!!!

100 by 120 pixels (and 50.0 KB).

transistor_avatar.png

Here you go. I had to scale it down then make the canvas larger, cause it doesn't fit into 100x120 on 200% size. Hope this is okay!

Thanks for the kind words, btw <3

Wunder

Losing all but one Function in a heated battle and finally defeating the encounter is one of the most rewarding things in this game.

Vlodril

is the game running in borderless full screen or something? or just shadowplay refusing to work with it for no reason(i love shadowplay but this refusing to work with random games for no reason is annoying)?

FtHTiny

Downloaded and played it for around an hour. The gane looks and plays great but the combat system outside the planning mode is feeling strange.

Grief.exe

transistor_avatar.png

Here you go. I had to scale it down then make the canvas larger, cause it doesn't fit into 100x120 on 200% size. Hope this is okay!

Thanks for the kind words, btw <3

You don't have to shrink it down to that degree! I just took the original image and shrank it to 68x120 pixels.

You don't have to fit the avatar size exactly.

I would upload what I did, but I don't think Photoshop reads the image correctly as you probably used a different program at bit rate.

Vitor711

Downloaded and played it for around an hour. The gane looks and plays great but the combat system outside the planning mode is feeling strange.

Having the same issue. Love everything about the game but the combat just isn't sitting well with me. The downtime in-between taking turns seems to be there just to add some layer of risk and little else. Risk that you can almost completely negate with the stealth ability.

I'm having fun sending out my minions to fight for me and combining abilities is incredibly cool but, in tactical terms, I'm sort of wishing it went more down the turn-based route. Maybe it'll change once I unlock a few more inhibitors or whatever they're called (only have the first two active at the moment).

Hellshy.

Games similar to this used to be $9.99 on PSN. Then they started being $14.99. Now they are $19.99. How long until these types of titles are $29.99?

I'm not saying the game isn't worth $19.99 but it just seems shady when similar games were released about 4 years ago for half that price. I'll probably buy this game once it gets a discount. Too many games to play right now anyway.

It has a lot to do with cost of production going up. Remember those old psn games are sub hd which cost less comparatively then full hd. Indie games now get some marketing where back then a lot of those psn games got zero so they didn't have to factor that into pricing. I'm sure it also has to do with how popular indie games are right now. They are probably more comfortable putting their games on sale when the initial price is higher.

Violet_0

Banned
Having the same issue. Love everything about the game but the combat just isn't sitting well with me. The downtime in-between taking turns seems to be there just to add some layer of risk and little else. Risk that you can almost completely negate with the stealth ability.

the combat is more or less turn-based. You basically only use the real-time to teleport around the battle arena and go into stealth, waiting to go back into turn-based mode again. Also, it gets a little boring after a while in my opinion. I was just spamming teleport -> backstab -> melee + ranged attack combo over and over again

Gaz_RB

the combat is more or less turn-based. You basically only use the real-time to teleport around the battle arena and go into stealth, waiting to go back into turn-based mode again. Also, it gets a little boring after a while in my opinion. I was just spamming teleport -> backstab -> melee + ranged attack combo over and over again

How far into the game have you gotten? Once you throw some limiters up and enter recursive mode, that strategy no longer flies.

Gaz_RB

I finished the game, lol

I disabled all limiters mid-game though since they are like my anti-idea of fun

Yeah I ended up turning off the limiters that limited my options, like the one that takes away your memory. One of these days I'll do a full limiter playthrough.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Played about a hour. Graphics and music are great but I'm not all hot and bothered by the gameplay yet. Guess I need to experiment more with combining some of the abilities.

Got through the first boss I think?

Grief.exe

Played about a hour. Graphics and music are great but I'm not all hot and bothered by the gameplay yet. Guess I need to experiment more with combining some of the abilities.

Got through the first boss I think?

One valid criticism the reviewers put on the game is Supergiant didn't pace the experience well enough.

Once you get over the initial learning curve, they start dumping abilities on you. The consequence of this is you feel like you are just warming up literally at the end of the game. I will be pushing into NG+, but in a perfect world they would have spread these out more evenly so the combat pulls you in earlier.

For the record, I felt the same way about the combat at the two hour mark, it only goes up from there.

Gaz_RB

One valid criticism the reviewers put on the game is Supergiant didn't pace the experience well enough.

Once you get over the initial learning curve, they start dumping abilities on you. The consequence of this is you feel like you are just warming up literally at the end of the game. I will be pushing into NG+, but in a perfect world they would have spread these out more evenly so the combat pulls you in earlier.

For the record, I felt the same way about the combat at the two hour mark, it only goes up from there.

Yeah, you know for once I think this game might have benefited from some padding in the form of more battles. Granted they have the challenge rooms, but it would have been experiment more as you progress.

Odrion

Banned
This game is only five hours? That's pretty bad considering everyone seems to agree that the first hour is dull as nails.
Gone Home was $20 and most people finish that in an hour or so (steam clocked me at 59 min)
Okay, now I see why Gone Home being priced that way was a bad fucking idea. Now we have to have this shitty argument in every game that's priced too high.

This game is only five hours? That's pretty bad considering everyone seems to agree that the first hour is dull as nails.

Okay, now I see why Gone Home being priced that way was a bad fucking idea. Now we have to have this shitty argument in every game that's priced too high.
Saying whether a game is priced too high is pretty subjective. Length shouldn't really matter, quality and content of the experience should. 1) Because everyone plays at their own pace so 5 hours for one person might be 4 or 7 for someone else and 2) games aren't one-and-done kinds of experiences. Especially Transistor, which is designed to be replayed thanks to new game plus + remixed enemies

And I don't think everyone agrees about the first hour

GavinUK86

Yeah, you know for once I think this game might have benefited from some padding in the form of more battles. Granted they have the challenge rooms, but it would have been experiment more as you progress.

I don't know about you guys, or anyone else, but I definitely prefer Bastions combat to this. I'm not saying I don't like this but the "ability dumping" that the game does confuses the hell out of everything. Maybe they should've cut a couple abilities or extended some levels. Something doesn't sit right with me.

Gaz_RB

Please, the first hour of the game is far from dull as nails, and no, not everyone "seems to agree" that it's dull.

I'm reall liking the game, my only complaint is the voice of the sword. I sounds so Lo-Fi compared to everything else. Maybe it's the reverb, but it takes me out of the experience a bit. Am i crazy?

Grief.exe

I don't know about you guys, or anyone else, but I definitely prefer Bastions combat to this. I'm not saying I don't like this but the "ability dumping" that the game does confuses the hell out of everything. Maybe they should've cut a couple abilities or extended some levels. Something doesn't sit right with me.

I disagree, I was honestly bored by Bastion's combat mainly due to the inability to keep it fresh.

Only equipping a couple weapons with some minor augments kept everything feeling relatively similar, while in Transistor you are constantly able to change the style of combat.

Do I want to pull all of the enemies in for huge damage? Hit them from far away and punish large groups? Do I want to focus on summoning helpers to my side and mind-control all the enemies? Do I want to dash around or play stealthy? Do I want to turtle with energy shields and stuns? These are just a few of the many strategies you can come up with by just switching your various abilities around.

Every hour of this game is great.

This is truth. People wanting 11-12 hours I'm assuming don't buy a lot of AAA games? I very rarely get more than that unless it's a JRPG or I'm replaying/trophy hunting, and that pushes this game to 17-19 hours by someone else's estimate? The game is perfectly priced, and while I loved Gone Home and thought it was priced fine, this game isn't even close to that in comparison's sake in my opinion.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Ok, will 'persevere' ... but that's not a word I should be using in my opinion. I also find it overly complicated and convoluted. I suppose that will 'grow on me' ... but that's not a phrase I should be using in my opinion.

If I was completely honest and judged it on how I feel right now, I'd have to say 'disappointed'. The fact that I've turned it off to come back online is also a bad sign for me.

I don't know about you guys, or anyone else, but I definitely prefer Bastions combat to this. I'm not saying I don't like this but the "ability dumping" that the game does confuses the hell out of everything.

They're really two different games, though. Bastion was more of a straightforward action game that promoted experimenting to an extent by giving you a variety of weapons to work with.

Transistor strikes me as more of a strategy game. Sure, you can fight enemies in real-time, but the real heart of what makes this game stick out are the "turns", setting up multiple attacks to inflict as much damage as possible. Now, the experimenting here is simply off the charts with all the different functions you can set as active or passive abilities. So far I've just been testing out as many different combinations as I can, and when I discover one I really like, I'll stick with that and keep screwing around with the rest!

Both are very good games, but Bastion is a far more approachable game than Transistor so far, but I think I like Transistor more because of what it does differently.

I'm reall liking the game, my only complaint is the voice of the sword. I sounds so Lo-Fi compared to everything else. Maybe it's the reverb, but it takes me out of the experience a bit. Am i crazy?
I think it's by design. I'm playing on the PS4, and you can direct the voice to output through the controller for similar effect. It's pretty cool, actually.

I'm enjoying the game so far. Like the world building. Mixing and matching the abilities to get the full story on all the personalities is definitely keeping me from finding a proper flow to the combat so far. I'm not used to being so off balance this far into a game, but I need to know about these people.

LiK

Ok, will 'persevere' ... but that's not a word I should be using in my opinion. I also find it overly complicated and convoluted. I suppose that will 'grow on me' ... but that's not a phrase I should be using in my opinion.

If I was completely honest and judged it on how I feel right now, I'd have to say 'disappointed'. The fact that I've turned it off to come back online is also a bad sign for me.

1 hour in? Kinda premature, no? There's a lot more functions and limiters to discover and unlock. Did you even fight the first boss yet?

The only thing I don't like about the Functions is that I can't pause the game to inspect my currently equipped ones. Sometimes I'd like to inspect them because I forget what I augmented them with.

It would save me time in the trial rooms, too. You get preset Functions, but they're usually ones I haven't even acquired yet. (Maybe I'm doing the trials too early?) it would be great to look at them in the menu, instead of taking time in my first try (and yes, I know you can use them and then hit the switch to start the trial, but Functions like Pull move the enemy around, and I can't test it until I'm doing the trial).

Grief.exe

1 hour in? Kinda premature, no? There's a lot more functions and limiters to discover and unlock. Did you even fight the first boss yet?

The attention span of the modern gamer.

I'm personally a huge fan of deep combat and hate the oversimplification of modern games, so my opinion here will be obviously biased.

The only thing I don't like about the Functions is that I can't pause the game to inspect my currently equipped ones. Sometimes I'd like to inspect them because I forget what I augmented them with.

It would save me time in the trial rooms, too. You get preset Functions, but they're usually ones I haven't even acquired yet. (Maybe I'm doing the trials too early?) it would be great to look at them in the menu, instead of taking time in my first try (and yes, I know you can use them and then hit the switch to start the trial, but Functions like Pull move the enemy around, and I can't test it until I'm doing the trial).

I would agree with that criticism. There is no way to easily inspect what upgrades you have equipped, even in the selection menu it is a convoluted process to look over what I have equipped.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I'm here talking to you. I usually go missing when a game is great, so if 'premature' is the right word to use in regard to THIS game then it certainly wasn't the right word to use for others.

I absolutely agree with this criticism. I really like the game so far, but I think being able to review your Functions menu or even better, being able to switch and change functions on the fly instead of at those function stations (or whatever they're called) would be a huge improvement.

There have been a few times where I've run into some tough battles, not knowing I'd set up some pretty crappy function setups just to test them out. Being able to change them whenever would promote experimentation even further and keep people from getting frustrated at unknowingly creating bad builds.

There's an ability you get early on that when attached to another ability allows you to use that ability while your time bar is recharging. I found the combat drastically more enjoyable once I figured that out since it means you can actually do something at all times.

Winter John

This is what Greg Kasavin had to say about the game's length:

That certainly puts a different spin on the game's length, which is fine and seems reasonable enough. My opinion is that £15 for an indie game is a bit much. £10- £12 is what I would generally expect to pay. With that being said, I'll be buying this for my PS4 this evening.

I absolutely agree with this criticism. I really like the game so far, but I think being able to review your Functions menu or even better, being able to switch and change functions on the fly instead of at those function stations (or whatever they're called) would be a huge improvement.

There have been a few times where I've run into some tough battles, not knowing I'd set up some pretty crappy function setups just to test them out. Being able to change them whenever would promote experimentation even further and keep people from getting frustrated at unknowingly creating bad builds.

I'm fine with only being able to equip/unequip Functions only at access points, but yeah an option to review them through the pause menu wild be nice. I like the challenge of facing a tough battle with a less than optimal setup. It forces you to be creative with what you have.

And if the Function bar at the bottom of the screen could be made smaller or translucent, that would be nice too (hint hint, Kasavin ;) )

cdViking

Shocking that GAF would rush to defend the 95 minute MGS Ground Zeroes while criticizing a game at 2/3 its price and 3-4x its length, with everything in the "sand box game" getting done.

And how does it being an indie DQ it from being able to charge $20? The production values are ridiculously high vs. most indie games, and the $/hr is much lower than most any modern AAA game. Unless you play JRPGs exclusively or don't like the game ( tastes/preferences are individual and subject to different opinions), I really don't see how this is a legitimate issue.

Top Bottom