• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Winter John

Shocking that GAF would rush to defend the 95 minute MGS Ground Zeroes while criticizing a game at 2/3 its price and 3-4x its length, with everything in the "sand box game" getting done.

And how does it being an indie DQ it from being able to charge $20? The production values are ridiculously high vs. most indie games, and the $/hr is much lower than most any modern AAA game. Unless you play JRPGs exclusively or don't like the game ( tastes/preferences are individual and subject to different opinions), I really don't see how this is a legitimate issue.

It's a legitimate issue because I am the customer. It may not be an issue for you and that's fine, but that doesn't give you the right to tell others that their concerns over the cost or length of a game isn't legitimate.

Skilletor

Shocking that GAF would rush to defend the 95 minute MGS Ground Zeroes while criticizing a game at 2/3 its price and 3-4x its length, with everything in the "sand box game" getting done.

And how does it being an indie DQ it from being able to charge $20? The production values are ridiculously high vs. most indie games, and the $/hr is much lower than most any modern AAA game. Unless you play JRPGs exclusively or don't like the game ( tastes/preferences are individual and subject to different opinions), I really don't see how this is a legitimate issue.

Who are you talking to?

Loving this game, personally. Art is gorgeous, music is great and that combat system. Combining skills is going to be so awesome. One thing I would like would be some sort of horde-type mode. After a certain number of waves, one of the things that lets you switch out your skills could pop up to let you switch strategies.

But yeah, game is tops blooby.

It's a legitimate issue because I am the customer. It may not be an issue for you and that's fine, but that doesn't give you the right to tell others that their concerns over the cost or length of a game isn't legitimate.

An issue with length is fine, but saying that the game should be cheaper just because it's an indie title is problematic for me. Why are indie titles inherently worth less?

GavinUK86

Just finished it.....
and WOW that build up and ending was just fantastic. Perfect execution. Can't fault it. I'm curious though, are there multiple endings or is Red killing herself to be with him the only one? It seemed to hang a while with the Transistor hovering so I wasn't sure if there was a way to not do that.

Who are you talking to?

Loving this game, personally. Art is gorgeous, music is great and that combat system. Combining skills is going to be so awesome. One thing I would like would be some sort of horde-type mode. After a certain number of waves, one of the things that lets you switch out your skills could pop up to let you switch strategies.

But yeah, game is tops blooby.

One of the trial rooms is exactly this. It maxes out at 7(I think?) trials (with multiple stages per trial)

Gaz_RB

Just finished it.....
and WOW that build up and ending was just fantastic. Perfect execution. Can't fault it. I'm curious though, are there multiple endings or is Red killing herself to be with him the only one? It seemed to hang a while with the Transistor hovering so I wasn't sure if there was a way to not do that.

As far as I know, no there is not. I'm playing through it again now and I'm towards the end so I'll try to see if I can do something different.

I agree though, it was a great ending.

As someone who has long wanted to make a short, highly replayable RPG, hearing all these complaints over Transistor's length is very discouraging.

I think it's a loud minority.

Trey

The beauty of how the skill system works is that whenever you get a new skill, you basically get that new skill plus however many you already had. It makes leveling up that much more exciting - seeing how a new function works as well as how it can augment your current functions and make them like new again.

Violet_0

Banned
Just finished it.....
and wow that build up and ending was just fantastic. Brilliant execution. Can't fault it. I'm curious though, is there multiple endings or Red killing herself to be with him the only one? It seemed to hang a while with the Transistor hovering so I wasn't sure if there was a way to not do that.

I checked the Steam community forum after finishing the game and apparently there's only one . Presumably Red just doesn't want to live in a city/world where everyone including her lover is dead. Pretty neat ending

Guys how long to beat?

I'd really like to play this game but I don't have much time for gaming lately :(

6 hours for the first playthrough, more if you want to do all the challenge rooms

Vitor711

Saying that Indie games should be a certain price (£12 or so as you suggested) is ludicrous. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

Indie games should be priced based on what they offer, not because they were made outside of a traditional studio. Also, I've played plenty of AAA games that set me back full price for barely 5 hours of playtime. Generalisations like that make no sense.

I'm happy to pay £15/20 for a quality experience that's well paced and isn't unnecessarily padded out. I'll likely have a better time with it than a major blockbuster that costs double and doesn't take twice the time to beat.

Equating time played to value just doesn't work. Some of my favourite games from last gen were the same length as this (if not shorter - i.e. Portal/Journey).

Amneisac

As someone who has long wanted to make a short, highly replayable RPG, hearing all these complaints over Transistor's length is very discouraging.

Well, I think it's partially just a value thing based on breaking out of the $15 price point and going to $20, which raises an eyebrow for me. So it's kind of a combination of the two things. I think people will get over it if the game is good.

btkadams

What planet are you on? GAF freaked the fuck out at Ground Zeroes' length.

Winter John

Who are you talking to?

An issue with length is fine, but saying that the game should be cheaper just because it's an indie title is problematic for me. Why are indie titles inherently worth less?

As far as I know, most indie games have been around the £10-£12 margin, or cheaper. £15 is really the top end of the market. I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know if it's worth the asking price. I hope so, it certainly looks good.

The biggest problem with pricing these days is there's no middle ground between the AAA and the indies. I think that should be fixed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
One valid criticism the reviewers put on the game is Supergiant didn't pace the experience well enough.

Once you get over the initial learning curve, they start dumping abilities on you. The consequence of this is you feel like you are just warming up literally at the end of the game. I will be pushing into NG+, but in a perfect world they would have spread these out more evenly so the combat pulls you in earlier.

For the record, I felt the same way about the combat at the two hour mark, it only goes up from there.

glad to hear the variety picks up. i wasn't bored like someone else was posting but it did seem like i was pretty much using the same strategy in every fight (pause, hit hit hit, zoom away) without too much trouble.

The indie label shouldn't mean anything in terms of price or perception of quality/production. Insomniac is technically independent too.

Winter John

Saying that Indie games should be a certain price (£12 or so as you suggested) is ludicrous. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

Indie games should be priced based on what they offer, not because they were made outside of a traditional studio. Also, I've played plenty of AAA games that set me back full price for barely 5 hours of playtime. Generalisations like that make no sense.

I'm happy to pay £15/20 for a quality experience that's well paced and isn't unnecessarily padded out. I'll likely have a better time with it than a major blockbuster that costs double and doesn't take twice the time to beat.

Equating time played to value just doesn't work. Some of my favourite games from last gen were the same length as this (if not shorter - i.e. Portal/Journey).

I absolutely can make a blanket statement like that. I am the customer. I'll pay what I think a product is worth to me.

Grief.exe

I absolutely can make a blanket statement like that. I am the customer. I'll pay what I think a product is worth to me.

Yes, but in a forum such as GAF you are generally expected to back up your opinions logically.

Throw away opinions are generally useless and don't contribute anything to the thread or discussion at hand.

Saying, 'I'm the consumer so whatever I say goes,' truly doesn't mean anything without reason and logic to give us context.

You may have said something earlier that I could have easily missed, but your last two posts follow the same format.

TokiDoki

Loving everything about it so far . I know why people complained it to be short , because its that good that no one wanted it to end so fast .

I just finished it and I honestly think I preferred Bastion's combat. Transistor allows for more option, however I really feel the real time/pause system made it all too difficult to balance. I played around with all the functions so I could unlock the character bios but in the end certain combinations were so much better than other that I stuck with them once I had everything unlocked. The most fun I had with the combat was in the planning challenge rooms, I would have loved for the entire game to be based around those types of situation with the ability to switch out your functions based at the start of each fight so you could counter your opponents.

I also felt the mix of audio and visuals didn't work as well as they did in Bastion. The instrumental pieces were great in generally but none of the vocal performances resonated with me, I felt the swords dialogue didn't do much for me outside of a few moments, and the sleek cyberpunk visuals looked mighty pretty but made the environments feel rather samey.

With that said I think there was some great world building, the upgrade system is magnificent, and they nailed the tone
which was a mighty brave one to adopt
. I had a good experience with the game, it just wasn't as good as the one I had with their last one. Though I can imagine there will be quite a few folks who didn't like Bastion and love Transistor.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok, I went back and played for another 15 minutes and find it extremely annoying and boring. From what I've read so far from other users, it appears as if the only draw for this game is adding abilities and that's just not good enough for me. This is how it makes me feel: go from box (a) fight, go to box (b) fight, go to box (c) fight and so forth. Prettying the boxes up doesn't change them. I really can't stand this repetition any more.

Ok, I went back and played for another 15 minutes and find it extremely annoying and boring. From what I've read so far from other users, it appears as if the only draw for this game is adding abilities and that's just not good enough for me. This is how it makes me feel: go from box (a) fight, go to box (b) fight, go to box (c) fight and so forth. Prettying the boxes up doesn't change them. I really can't stand this repetition any more.

Not true. A lot of us love the music, art, voice acting, and even the story. I find it to be a VERY charming game, but to each his own.

Yes, I'm pissed.

I like the game so far personally (like the combat, skills, art, music, etc) but this is very true so far for me (about an hour in). There doesn't seem to be much exploration. The level design is pretty much move forward and fight next set of enemies.

Skilletor

Losing an ability every time your life bar depletes is annoying as hell. I'd rather just be dropped back at a save spot.

There's a retry option, no? Don't know what it does or how far back it sets you, so dunno.

Personally love being punished for fucking up. Incentive to get better and plan out battles.

I love the art, the music, the dialogue, and, the most important thing, the gameplay.

Winter John

Yes, but in a forum such as GAF you are generally expected to back up your opinions logically.

Throw away opinions are generally useless and don't contribute anything to the thread or discussion at hand.

Saying, 'I'm the consumer so whatever I say goes,' truly doesn't mean anything without reason and logic to give us context.

You may have said something earlier that I could have easily missed, but your last two posts follow the same format.

It's absolutely not a "Throw away" opinion. I am the consumer. If a product is on sale and I don't like the price, then I won't buy it. That doesn't mean that others shouldn't buy it, or the sellers shouldn't charge whatever they like. It simply means that a product only has the value that I give to it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There's a retry option, no? Don't know what it does or how far back it sets you, so dunno.

Personally love being punished for fucking up. Incentive to get better and plan out battles.

I LOVE this game design wise. It also makes the player vary his skill set after each fight if you cant rely on the same abilities all the time. Such a smart idea.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
FYI:

If you purchased the soundtrack from Steam, but wanted a FLAC copy, email Supergiant Games, and they will send you one. I think they want some kind of proof you actually bought it, though.

It's absolutely not a "Throw away" opinion. I am the consumer. If a product is on sale and I don't like the price, then I won't buy it. That doesn't mean that others shouldn't buy it, or the sellers shouldn't charge whatever they like. It simply means that a product only has the value that I give to it.

I think Grief means it's better to explain WHY you don't like the price? Is it just too little game play time for $20? Do you think the quality of the art/music/etc is not worth the price? He's not saying your wrong, just that you need to explain why you feel the way you do.

It's a throwaway opinion because you don't give reasons for it. You just state it. It offers no way for people to discuss your thoughts. On this message board, it is a "throw away" opinion.

lantus

Not sure how far I tot the game I am, but I'm loving it! The combat seems incredibly deep. I like that the game really encourages you to try new combinations of functions. I would say the game could have probably been better at introducing you to all of the systems, since it just drops you in and immediately shows you all your options. That said though, I think I caught on pretty quickly and am experimenting a lot with it. Very much enjoying the game overall!

Vysetron

Neo Member
So I wrote a thing about Transistor, mostly regarding the ending. I'd like to discuss it here, but it would involve a ridiculous amount of spoilers so I'm just going to link it.

In summary:
the ending is really problematic for me despite their attempts to tie it all up with the final sequence, but other than that the writing is top notch and the game does a great job of making you work for your plot. Enjoyed it a bunch, looking forward to New Game +.

GavinUK86

Well aren't you describing most action games if you grind them down to their basic levels. You go from point A to B, fight, get some story, go to point C, fight then on to D.

It's how all that intertwines with the story and how it's told that makes me want to play on. Transistor succeeds in that regard, as did Bastion.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm such an asshole, I should've purchased and remote-downloaded this to my PS4 while I was at work. Now I'm home from work and PSN is slow as shit indicating a 3-hour download.

Download today, play tomorrow I guess. Still not used to the whole remote-download thing.

Grief.exe

I'm such an asshole, I should've purchased and remote-downloaded this to my PS4 while I was at work. Now I'm home from work and PSN is slow as shit indicating a 3-hour download.

Download today, play tomorrow I guess. Still not used to the whole remote-download thing.

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif

I think I downloaded the game in about >10 minutes.

Wow, lot's of performance issues on my laptop. Granted it's a shitty Intel iGPU but I could run Bastion just fine while I'm having issues with Transistor. Still enjoying it though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well aren't you describing most action games if you grind them down to their basic levels. You go from point A to B, fight, get some story, go to point C, fight then on to D.

It's how all that intertwines with the story and how it's told that makes me want to play on. Transistor succeeds in that regard, as did Bastion.

No, I'm not. This is literally go from box (a) to box (b). It has no content or substance outside of it's deliberately obscure story.

Jesus. Only took me about 15 minutes, if that.

Overdoziz

Banned

I do feel like there's very little variety in encounters so far (~4 hours in). Pretty much every fight is in a box with a white pillars for cover and some enemies scattered around.

I have to agree again, action games aren't always point A to point B. Even Uncharted and Gears of War have side alleys to look for things. Devil May Cry and God of War games have plenty of exploration and secrets. Shouldn't an ARPG also have this?

reminder

Played the game for a bit now and i really like it so far. Took some time to get used to the gameplay mechanics and upgrade system, though.

Top Bottom