• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

I've found a deadly combination at least imho. Forgive me for not remembering names but it's late at night:

1. Have the bomb making attack as a passive. This'll make random bombs appear in the map. Once one appears.
2. Have jaunt with... there's one power that when put as a support skill it causes a blackhole/singularity where you transported around. When enemies are chasing you jaunt through the bomb, this'll attract them all to each other.
3. Do a turn and attack the bomb with as much damage as possible. If you can do the storm power with whatever attack you leave for a lingering effect.
4. Since the blackhole/singularity is still in effect nobody will be pushed away during this phase so all of the damage of your attack, plus the damage of the bomb will be enclosed in this area. Get wrecked.

This is particularly effective in maps with a lot of dogs chasing you around. You don't even have to do it the way I mentioned above. You basically just need the skills specifically. There's probably a better way to do the above damage with the same skills.

I think I'm currently heading towards the final boss. Funny enough I still have a couple of HUB world challenges undone, so maybe you can only complete them all if you do new game +?

I've found my favorite combination of passives and things of the sort. I'm so happy. Shame you can't do the speed run and the perseverance run with your skills of choice, it'd be so much easier.

dc89

Super silly question, but how does the game save? Auto save?
How do I know when it has done it?

I've just started so I don't want to mess up.

Ark

The game auto-saves when you enter new areas and/or use an Access Point.

Just played about an hour or two of the game before work, I'm loving it so far. Definitely lives up to the hype. The soundtrack, art, combat, everything, is just superlative.

It autosaves. I wouldn't quit the game until you're done with a fight or you enter a new area. Or at the very least do something that is outside of walking around.

I have yet to lose progress, though I tend to play for long periods at a time.

Wunder

There was a part where it said where it saves, but I think every time you inspect an access point or go into a new area it will autosave.

edit: duble beaten

RussellXV

Played it for about 20 minutes so far and I'm very impressed. The art, controls, gameplay, music, all are very nice. It runs super smooth as well.

Played a few hours last night. Absolutely brilliant. I'm really rubbish with getting the right combos for the functions. Does anybody have any good combos that they could share that makes it easy? I don't know what I am using at the moment as I'm at work but it isn't working as I keep losing them!

Edit: And I mean losing them, by actually losing the functions due to almost dying haha. I'm either just super rubbish at this game or I'm not using them properly! And tips welcome!

Played a few hours last night. Absolutely brilliant. I'm really rubbish with getting the right combos for the functions. Does anybody have any good combos that they could share that makes it easy? I don't know what I am using at the moment as I'm at work but it isn't working as I keep losing them!

Honestly once you get Help/Luna the dog then use it and give it upgrades. Personally I give her the AoE bark attack. This is very useful if you don't want to keep an AoE attack in your active skills and would rather use its bonuses as a support/passive. Having constant help throughout a match is a huge bonus as you can take care of so many more enemies per turn()

But honestly if you're unsure how to progress in the game, go into the practice room once you have it and just combine attacks until you feel comfortable damage wise.

Wunder

Edit: And I mean losing them, by actually losing the functions due to almost dying haha. I'm either just super rubbish at this game or I'm not using them properly! And tips welcome!

Putting them in spoilers since exploring the combat system is part of the fun of this game
Crash() and Breach(), the two basic skills you get are fantastic and can carry you through the game just by understanding what Crash actually does.

When you Turn(), always backstab with Crash and try to line up a Breach shot. The Breach will give you backstab damage and a Crash combo because Crash stuns and 'disrupts' enemies, making a normal 100 damage Breach shot deal something like 225

That basic combo could really be used for the majority of the game, but once you get past an hour you'll probably want to start experimenting with the variety of skills and decrypting those profiles!

Honestly once you get Help/Luna the dog then use it and give it upgrades. Personally I give her the AoE bark attack. This is very useful if you don't want to keep an AoE attack in your active skills and would rather use its bonuses as a support/passive. Having constant help throughout a match is a huge bonus as you can take care of so many more enemies per turn()

But honestly if you're unsure how to progress in the game, go into the practice room once you have it and just combine attacks until you feel comfortable damage wise.

Cheers will do. At the moment I'm dreading each combat scenario as i'm getting almost killed each time haha!

Quality game though. Definitely going to new game + this.

Honestly combat scenarios can be either hard or easy depending on your skills.

If you HAVE to keep a skill with you at all times then keep
jaunt at the very least. Red's regular movement is really slow so attacks can really hurt her if you can't escape some of the faster enemies or AoE attacks they produce. Giving Jaunt a nice support
doesn't hurt too much either.

The game tries to force you to try different combinations for each skill so
you can learn more about the backstory for the characters (they want you to put a skill in active, support and passive mode so you can try different combinations
. I thought this was very smart and I used it heavily since I discovered my favorite combos by doing this constantly. Make sure you do so as well.

But as a rule I keep Help with AoE with me at all times. I can't replace her, she's too helpful and absolutely wrecks so many enemies.

Wunder

Honestly combat scenarios can be either hard or easy depending on your skills.

If you HAVE to keep a skill with you at all times then keep
jaunt at the very least. Red's regular movement is really slow so attacks can really hurt her if you can't escape some of the faster enemies or AoE attacks they produce. Giving Jaunt a nice support
doesn't hurt too much either.

The game tries to force you to try different combinations for each skill so
you can learn more about the backstory for the characters (they want you to put a skill in active, support and passive mode so you can try different combinations
. I thought this was very smart and I used it heavily since I discovered my favorite combos by doing this constantly. Make sure you do so as well.

But as a rule I keep Help with AoE with me at all times. I can't replace her, she's too helpful and absolutely wrecks so many enemies.

Some of the Challenge rooms are nice to get a couple new combos too, since a few scenarios are given with a loadout pre-selected. Found one or two neat combinations that way.

Kensuke

Well sure, I think Jaunt or Mask is necessary in almost any skill load out. You need something to de-aggro the mobs because simple movement won't be able to dodge 90% of the attacks the enemies throw out. You can use the environment for a lot of things but that relies on a bit of luck and also you can't really juke out a Fetch.

People who use Jaunt as an upgrade component may find they fall back too much on that one skill just because you can use it all the time. For example if you Crash() + Jaunt() you may end up not dealing a ton of damage because you can't really backstab in real time. That being said, there are definitely a lot of good uses for Jaunt(), and sometimes I wish you could duplicate one or two functions but sadly that's not the case :(

I think there are too many issues with using Jaunt as an active Function. The worst one is that you can't use it during Turn recovery, leaving you open half the time. Another problem is that Void and Mask are imo essential as actives. With Jaunt on top of that you are left with almost no offensive options.

Spark + Jaunt upgrade is basically a really fast shotgun. It's a great tool to finish off enemies. Purge as a second upgrade also slows down enemies, spamming it can stop multiple hostiles in their tracks. So it's useful for both offense and defense. Mask and Turn are imo enough to get you out of most dangerous situations.

Please join the Spark with Jaunt cult now.

I'm guessing limiters are this games idols? Can't wait to get them if so.

Yeah. Personally I didn't use any of them for NG, but will definitely use them for NG+ so I can reach max level. And since I wouldn't play NG+ until I beat Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs most likely, chances are it'll be like starting fresh again on the game, just with more challenge.

I think there are too many issues with using Jaunt as an active Function. The worst one is that you can't use it during Turn recovery, leaving you open half the time. Another problem is that Void and Mask are imo essential as actives. With Jaunt on top of that you are left with almost no offensive options.

Spark + Jaunt upgrade is basically a really fast shotgun. It's a great tool to finish off enemies. Purge as a second upgrade also slows down enemies, spamming it can stop multiple hostiles in their tracks. So it's useful for both offense and defense. Mask and Turn are imo enough to get you out of most dangerous situations.

Please join the Spark with Jaunt cult now.

Uhhhhh i can use jaunt during recovery. It's the only skill you can use in recovery. I was wondering why I've been able to use it since it's in active mode, but maybe that's the fallback they give you?

Some of the Challenge rooms are nice to get a couple new combos too, since a few scenarios are given with a loadout pre-selected. Found one or two neat combinations that way.

Ah yes I noticed that too. One of the rooms
Where you have to survive for 90seconds and you have a cloak ability and I think your dog as functions. I sent her off to kill enemies, I put in a few attacks then cloaked. Rinse repeat!

paraphrasing: "When everything changes, nothing changes." The people of Cloudbank could manipulate the weather, the color of the sky, their surrounding on a whim. Grant, the (elected?) administrator was deeply concerned about this development so he surrounded himself with like-minded individuals and created the Camerata to 'save' the city, though from what exactly I cannot say

I think the Camerata misinterpreted their own mantra. At the end in the vault we see hundreds of transistors which I figured signified that this wasn't the first time that the Cloudbank was fully reset. "When everything changes, nothing changes" didn't refer just to the minor choices offered to pacify the majority of the populace, it referred to the cycle of the bank being wiped clean by the Process and rebuilt by the transistor/Admin over and over. Hence I don't think Red's choice at the end was as selfish as other people made out, the only way to change the Cloudbank was to leave nothing left to change.

Kensuke

Uhhhhh i can use jaunt during recovery. It's the only skill you can use in recovery. I was wondering why I've been able to use it since it's in active mode, but maybe that's the fallback they give you?

Woops, I thought you couldn't. You can also use Mask during recovery by the way. I still don't like Jaunt though. I tried using it in one of those challenge rooms to escape those things that 'Man' spawns (they follow you and explode). With Jaunt I could only elude them for a little bit. Blasting them from a distance seemed safer.

Woops, I thought you couldn't. You can also use Mask during recovery by the way. I still don't like Jaunt though. I tried using it in one of those challenge rooms to escape those things that 'Man' spawns (they follow you and explode). With Jaunt I could only elude them for a little bit. Blasting them from a distance seemed safer.

It might be easier to avoid using it but once you get the hang of jaunt you'll have no trouble at all dodging enemy attacks until your turn's back up.

Hm so I guess PS4 is the best way to play this judging from the previous posts?

Just be prepared for your PS4 to turn into a jet engine & prepare to take off. I'm really concerned by how much noise my PS4 generates when playing Transistor, it's the only game I've played that makes the fan go on overdrive...

Asiriya

Neo Member
Just finished NG. Not sure how I feel. I liked the ending but it wasn't as good as Bastion; it felt too short, the combat didn't always feel as fun for me, I don't think the music and story intertwined as well. Really I wanted more. The ending could have been longer, the enemies more difficult. Don't get me wrong, it was hard and I had a bunch of limiters in action (not the one that lowers memory though, fuck that), but I would have enjoyed more variety in the enemies. They felt too much like Bastion, there wasn't enough creativity (though I did like the final fight). Length would have helped here I think.

Apparently I've played 8 hours. NG+ would give me more but I'm not really a fan of retreading through games so I'm a bit disappointed. That's only because I want more of Supergiant's games though, so I suppose credit to them!

gruenel

Just be prepared for your PS4 to turn into a jet engine & prepare to take off. I'm really concerned by how much noise my PS4 generates when playing Transistor, it's the only game I've played that makes the fan go on overdrive...

It's pretty weird for me. Whenever I'm in the menus the PS4's fan goes wild, but when I'm actually playing it's much more quiet. Almost like they turn off the frame rate limiter/vsync when in the menus or something.

Ark

Is there a fix for the game freezing every 10 seconds? My game started doing it about an hour in and that's where I decided to leave it for the day.

Tizoc

How long does it take to finish the game? I just defeated
THe Spine and I'm assuming I'm now like 1/3 of the way thru of the game if not 1/4

aY227

Oh my... insanely OP:

Void + Tap + Purge / healing is over 9000 - just add some passives of your choice and maybe a Mask as panic button - 10 limiters with easy
(and play in real time)

First candidate to nerf :)

anddo0

It's pretty weird for me. Whenever I'm in the menus the PS4's fan goes wild, but when I'm actually playing it's much more quiet. Almost like they turn off the frame rate limiter/vsync when in the menus or something.

This is no coincidence, my PS4 does this as well.

I had a weird glitch, where the game dropped the sound out completely. I had no sound in the PS4 menus either. I attempted to power down, and the PS4 hard froze. The game works fine, no constant freezing, but the Transistor pause screen is by far the loudest I've heard the PS4 run.

Wunder

Oh my... insanely OP:

Void + Tap + Purge / healing is over 9000 - just add some passives of your choice and maybe a Mask as panic button - 10 limiters with easy
(and play in real time)

First candidate to nerf :)

Yeah
Void + X + X can create some insanely strong combos, the debuff alone is really good but combined with damage and another combination like Load or something the AoE is off the charts.

mandiller

Would you guys recommend this game for PS4 or PC? I'm on the fence about platforms.

Positives for PS4 - couch gaming, and narrator through the PS4 controller speaker.
Positives for PC - I have a capable PC and a 1440p display, plus it's cheaper on steam than PSN.

Are they both good versions?

kubus

Would you guys recommend this game for PS4 or PC? I'm on the fence about platforms.

Positives for PS4 - couch gaming, and narrator through the PS4 controller speaker.
Positives for PC - I have a capable PC and a 1440p display, plus it's cheaper on steam than PSN.

Are they both good versions?
PS4 version is gorgeous, the voice coming from the controller speaker is really cool. Didn't have any issues with performance or anything.

I've noticed some people reporting crashes and freezing issues on the PC version, so it comes with a risk. I'm sure Supergiant will patch that out though, but if you want to play now and don't really have a preference for platform, PS4 seems the safest choice at this moment.

Had the exact same thing. However If I went to PS dashboard my fan would immediately chill out.

I think your right with the frame rate limiter. I think we all need to avoid leaving this game on pause if we are going to have a break and go to the dashboard instead. Otherwise we will have PS4's taking over the airspace.

Zomba13

Just finished this on PS4. Shorter than I'd like but it was good so it doesn't matter much. VA was great, loved the writing more than in Bastion. The Transistor was great and I liked the direction they went with the Camerata. Kinda bummed about it ending though. Not the ending was bad or anything, just that I wanted more. Last boss was great though.

I think I might like the Bastion OST more. Transistor's is great and the vocal tracks are really good but Setting Sail, Coming Home (Bastion credits song) gave me super chills (as did the two songs it's a mix of). Will need to grab Transistor's OST though.

Can't wait to see what Super Giant do next. So far they've delivered two unique, beautiful, fun games with fantastic VO and sound tracks. Hope they can pull off the hat-trick.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Jaunt + Mind Control is pretty dope. You run away while converting troops over to your side to cover for you as you flee. Also, do you ever get more than 16 points to allocate?

FtHTiny

Somehow the game gets easier the longer the game goes for me. These 4mem functions are so powerful, even with 5 limiters on it makes no real difference.

Dyna

Fuck these stupid save bugs, first my save got corrupted when I was 3,5 hours into the game. Ok, no biggie, I was having so much fun with the game anyways I started a new game and was around 4 hours in. Well, turns out some patch or whatever resurrected my original save and now I lost about 2 hours of progress - AGAIN. I'm just going to beat the game in one sitting now, there can't be much left and I know what to do now anyway but I'm still pretty pissed off...

I played this game for a little bit, and leveled up twice. I noticed that the second time I leveled up, I was offered entirely different abilities to choose from, meaning I did not get the option to take the ability I passed up the first time. Does this mean that the ability you do not pick is locked away for the rest of the game, or do you get another chance to pick it up?

Top Bottom