• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Grief.exe

Recursion Mode SPOILERS:

I just started recursion mode so I don't know if there are other changes or it's already been discussed but a friend just pointed out to me that the opening is a little different! The "Hey Red, we're not gonna get away with this are we?" is spoken by Royce, rather than Red's mystery man (Logan). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHL2phd6VI .

How did I miss that? Very cool touch.

Bounce w switch + lifesteal is such a broken combination if you have the patience.
10 limiter battles no sweat...

I'll make sure to try that one out.

Bounce() + Spark() + Switch() - Creates more bounces.
Bounce() + Jaunt() + Switch() - use during recovery to keep the damage up and protect yourself.

Finished the game, I thought it was excellent.

I can't believe some of you guys are using Jaunt as an active function. It's way better as an upgrade (allows use of a Function during Turn recovery). Also, if you are using Crash and Breach to attack you are doing it wrong.

I always felt like I needed Jaunt to position myself after my turn or to mitigate damage, especially with limiters on.

A spare Jaunt was the first thing I picked up during NG+ though. Start opening up the gameplay a bit.

Trey

I played this game for a little bit, and leveled up twice. I noticed that the second time I leveled up, I was offered entirely different abilities to choose from, meaning I did not get the option to take the ability I passed up the first time. Does this mean that the ability you do not pick is locked away for the rest of the game, or do you get another chance to pick it up?

They come back around.

Grief.exe

I played this game for a little bit, and leveled up twice. I noticed that the second time I leveled up, I was offered entirely different abilities to choose from, meaning I did not get the option to take the ability I passed up the first time. Does this mean that the ability you do not pick is locked away for the rest of the game, or do you get another chance to pick it up?

They all come back around.

It is 6 hours long more or less, according to the people I know who have finished the game. Very short, sadly.

I beat it in 8, but I stopped to do all of the tests.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just completed the game. Story, visuals and voice-acting was top-notch, but I'm still not a fan of the combat system. I really like how the weapon/perk system works, but I'm not huge on the planning feature. I would've preferred it if it was more like Bastion in that regard. Having a decent movement speed and attacks that didn't make you sit still for a couple of seconds could've really helped the game if you ask me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played for about an hour last night, leveled up twice. Really cool, beautiful game. The ary design and musical score are amazing. I really like the sword's voice coming out of the DS4 speaker. Very nice touch.

I have way too many games in my backlog, so I don't have much time to play this one, but it's very good so far.

Grief.exe

I played for about an hour last night, leveled up twice. Really cool, beautiful game. The ary design and musical score are amazing. I really like the sword's voice coming out of the DS4 speaker. Very nice touch.

I have way too many games in my backlog, so I don't have much time to play this one, but it's very good so far.

Why buy it day one if you are just going to put it in the backlog.

I know consoles don't put titles on sale as frequently, but you can always pick it up down the line.

Number45

Why buy it day one if you are just going to put it in the backlog.

I know consoles don't put titles on sale as frequently, but you can always pick it up down the line.
I'm not him obviously, but sometimes I just want to show my support for the developer. I don't expect to play this just yet, but picked it up day one just because.

Bigger games I'll wait as a rule, and pick them up when I actually intend to play them or if a good sale comes along.

graywolf323

really loving the game so far

one complaint I have though is during tests when it auto assigns you abilities and if you've never seen them in the regular part of the game before it doesn't explain what they are so you have to figure out on the fly

McFadge

Just finished the game and really enjoyed it!

Last boss fight was really easy; not sure if it was just my loadout though. Conceptually the fight was awesome, though.

Time to recurse and find out more about the story!

Grief.exe

I'm not him obviously, but sometimes I just want to show my support for the developer. I don't expect to play this just yet, but picked it up day one just because.

Bigger games I'll wait as a rule, and pick them up when I actually intend to play them or if a good sale comes along.

That is a fair point, especially with indie development. Buying it day one shows support to the developer, and allows them to continue making games you enjoy. Even if you aren't enjoying those games right away.

AAA developer? Just a drop in the bucket.

really loving the game so far

one complaint I have though is during tests when it auto assigns you abilities and if you've never seen them in the regular part of the game before it doesn't explain what they are so you have to figure out on the fly

One very valid criticism is there is no way to observe your selections during gameplay.

With mouse controls you can hover over the active ability, but the upgrade or passive doesn't show any information.

Lingxor

Can someone explain why sometimes during the planning phase my actions will indicate something will be dead, but when I execute I get a different outcome? It happens on solo enemies not being healed or anything...

Gaz_RB

Can someone explain why sometimes during the planning phase my actions will indicate something will be dead, but when I execute I get a different outcome? It happens on solo enemies not being healed or anything...

The enemies are slowly moving during Turn, so maybe you missed a hit?

Jomjom

Banned
PS4 Peeps:

Rolling with speaker, or no speaker? Maybe you're even playing with headphones instead?

I usually play with headphones, but that cancels out the speaker... so I'm playing with the voice coming from the speaker, and it's really awesome. Really smart idea, considering it mimics Red and the Sword with you and the controller.

Team speaker!

I've noticed a few enemy types that this happens on. Jerks turn really fast so sometimes you lose backstab damage on them. Young Ladies teleport away after one hit if they're not firing, so anything past that is a waste of actions. Men who have "sturdy" (green, or if there's a green one in battle) constantly recover health, so you have to declare attacks well beyond their health to kill them.

Lately I've gotten around a lot of this with Void() and Cull(). A large single hit works on almost everything.

Meia

Grimløck;112972633 said:
yes. i think i have 24 pts.

There's an achievement for 32, think I'm up to 28 or something. The +4 Mem upgrade on level up appears a few times it looks like.

McFadge

Tell me your strat cuz he bugged out on me for an easy win.

Void() + Crash() + Spark()
Cull() + Load() + Breach()

Hit him with a Void then twice with a Cull (or vice versa). He'd get one sequence in and then I'd destroy him in a single hit. I believe I also had Jaunt() + Tap() which heals when you dash, but it wasn't very important. I think it may have been overloaded during the battle

I'm the type of person that spends hours tinkering with builds, character creators, team set ups, and anything else that lets you customize. Every time I get a new ability I probably spend 30-45 minutes messing around with every possible combination. It's going to take me forever to beat this game.

Finished the game.

What I liked:
Art
Test rooms were fun.
Moveset mix and match system works pretty well once you get enough
Most of the overall story

What I didn't like:
No quick restart in the Test rooms.
Function UI/UX is pretty bad. This is one of the main parts of the game but navigating it is a real pain.
Didn't give me anything for beating those 6 YoungLadies
Final boss is too easy.
The ending scene is terribad.

7/10

No where near as good as Bastion, but a pretty decent game with absolutely beautiful art.

tjohn86

Finished the game.

What I liked:
Art
Test rooms were fun.
Moveset mix and match system works pretty well once you get enough
Most of the overall story

What I didn't like:
No quick restart in the Test rooms.
Function UI/UX is pretty bad. This is one of the main parts of the game but navigating it is a real pain.
Didn't give me anything for beating those 6 YoungLadies
Final boss is too easy.
The ending scene is terribad.

7/10

No where near as good as Bastion, but a pretty decent game with absolutely beautiful art.

I was bummed about that too.

Is this game pretty short? I just
hopped on my bike from the beginning of the game to head somewhere else
. Feel like it's starting to wrap up, but also feel like I've barely played it.

Is this game pretty short? I just
hopped on my bike from the beginning of the game to head somewhere else
. Feel like it's starting to wrap up, but also feel like I've barely played it.

I didn't time myself, but I think I beat it in just under 5 hours. However, there is a New Game+ mode that drastically changes the battles & even appears to change a few story aspects as well.

Grief.exe

Just found a particularly dirty combination. I'm rolling through NG+ with 10 limiters right now. Just takes some patience and you almost stay exclusively out of planning mode.

Purge() Active + Breach() Crash() Upgrades
Purge slows targets and applies a DOT effect, while Breach allows purge to travel much faster and further with Crash applying a stun and vulnerability debuffs.
This is your main attack, spam it at all times to keep enemies purged and stunned.

Void() Active + Get() Upgrade
Void weakens targets considerably, allowing you to increase your damage, Get pulls them in, keeping them all away from you. I currently have Crash attached to this to stun and make targets more vulnerable, but I think it would work better with the Purge active.

I really have only been using these two to breeze my way through NG+ with 10 limiters on. Keep in mind that one of the limiters reduces your MEM amount quite considerably, so having something like Cull() or Tap() might be difficult. I also find it best to stay out of planning mode as much as possible as the enemies drop shielded cells that need to be dealt with before you can pick them up.

I have Bounce() in a passive roll to give a shield, my other two Actives are:

Bounce() Active + Switch() Upgrade
Nice when shit hits the fan, does a good bit of damage along with turning everything on the map to your side while you run away.

Mask() Active + Ping()
I honestly haven't used this since I haven't needed it, but it is there in case I'm in real trouble.

If I can swing it, I might switch out the Bounce() Active for Cull()/Tap() to get some single target damage if I need it. The problem is you overload the Active if you switch it out.

Yt7E9S3.png

I don't know how many times I've gone to dash away and dashed into the barrier instead. Drives me fucking crazy.

haha it's even worst when you have a jerk chasing you and you dash into a wall and then he slams away and takes like a third of your health.

You know what power I have a love/hate relationship with? Switch. I love that you can get all these guys to help you out when they switch allegiance, but I hate I can't fucking hurt them while they're friendly. So the few battles I had it as an exclusive power in my one attack power, it meant that I had to have Luna do all the damage when we only had like 1-2 dudes left.

Vire

Yeah, I'm definitely going for Plat.

How many times did you have to play for level 24? I assume full limiters should be able to do it in the second playthrough since I'm level 13 in the first.

Just twice to get to level 24. I turned on full limiters to get the trophy (five full encounters with ten limiters on) and then proceeded to turn it back off. I ended up at level 27 by the end.

You gain a lot of experience from doing the performance challenges in recursion mode.

Ark

Just got a new patch for Transistor on Steam. 2mb in size, no idea what it fixes though.

Hopefully it fixed the periodic freezing I was suffering every ten seconds or though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can't wait to pick this up when I get back into town, but I have a couple questions that maybe some experienced players can answer.

Is the game challenging? I know you can change the level of challenge with items like in Bastion, but does the basic gameplay require some attention and thought?

Does it feel like there are certain tactics that work best for certain enemies, or is it a "do things your way, whatever way that happens to be" kind of thing? I prefer the former kind of design. Basically, even if it's super deep and complex, I won't really enjoy that depth if it never feels like I'm "playing it right" and making smart moves against the enemies.

Can any speedrunners out there confirm if anything changes if you
make it back to your apartment before the pizza gets cold?

I thought it'd be only a few screens away but it's actually a fair bit of distance to travel.

Well, I've finished the game. It feels like a pretentious modern fairy tale; it is an ephemeral dream of a game that is in a state of civil war with itself. On one hand, it wants to be something new and different, and on the other it desires to be Bastion. If the game dedicated itself more to one element over the other, I would probably have enjoyed it more.

Supergiant, you were on to something with that combat system and the code presentation... but there was a glitch somewhere along the way.

P.S. This was a bad year to release a game featuring an old-fashioned, male character that calls his female partner "Red." Any attempts at emotion will fall flat in comparison to another game's legacy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well, I've finished the game. It feels like a pretentious modern fairy tale; it is an ephemeral dream of a game that is in a state of civil war with itself.

civil wars by definition involve a whole with a conflict between its parts;

what differentiates a dream from an ephemeral dream?

what differentiates a game that is at war with itself from a game that is a dream of a game at war with itself?

what is the pretense, if the game suffers from pretension?

your flowery diction gets in the way of your thesis.

Top Bottom