• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Jachaos

Ping() + Switch() or Cull() + Jaunt() is hilarious.

So I use Void(), Tap()+Tap() during my turns and while my turn is recharging, I blast away with Ping() and either convert all the enemies into allies or send them flying up. They blast at each other and when my turn's recharged, I go in again to gain some more health. Also, Bounce(), Spark(), Get() and Mask() as passive. It's basically unbeatable. The waves keep coming and I keep full health. I got through the 6th of 7 with this and it was too easy. I'll try the 7th without Switch(), but I'll keep Ping()+Jaunt().

Firing everywhere in between turns feels like using the Megabuster in Megaman Battle Network.

Mesoian

Ping() + Switch() or Cull() + Jaunt() is hilarious.

So I use Void(), Tap()+Tap() during my turns and while my turn is recharging, I blast away with Ping() and either convert all the enemies into allies or send them flying up. They blast at each other and when my turn's recharged, I go in again to gain some more health. Also, Bounce(), Spark(), Get() and Mask() as passive. It's basically unbeatable. The waves keep coming and I keep full health. I got through the 6th of 7 with this and it was too easy. I'll try the 7th without Switch(), but I'll keep Ping()+Jaunt().

Firing everywhere in between turns feels like using the Megabuster in Megaman Battle Network.

I played the majority of my first play through with Ping+Bounce+Spark, Burst + Switch.

A shotgun that makes enemies love you, and a gatling gun that shoots everything on screen regardless of alignment. Super fun, until you accidently switch everyone on the field and you can't do damage to anything.

That they like their story better than you do doesn't make it pretentious. It's not pretention that Adam Sandler thinks Jack and Jill is a better movie than critics did. It's pretention if he then follows it up by saying that the film is the greatest exploration of human identity and brother-sister bonding ever committed to a film real. How do you differentiate the two? Where are the clues inside the story that they believe it to be a significant tale or that they feel their exploration of the themes is a canonical answer to the questions posed, rather than a work designed to encourage the player to pose questions?
Transistor is a collection of pieces, a fragmented whole. Think of it as a puzzle that cannot be completed. Unless Supergiant come right out and say it, there is no insight to be gleamed from the disparate thoughts of the game. All that can be said with certainty is that there is a woman with a sword, anything else is likely the result of a reckless imagination.

Stories designed like Transistor's certainly have a leg up on any detractors. I want to understand, but I'll never have the magic insight necessary to understand things like Transistor. I simply don't get it.

Supergiant, I think it's time to end this insanity. Explain Transistor.

Edit: Has there ever been any patch notes for Transistor? I feel like its gotten three patches a day since release, but I have no idea what's changed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Transistor is a collection of pieces, a fragmented whole. Think of it as a puzzle that cannot be completed. Unless Supergiant come right out and say it, there is no insight to be gleamed from the disparate thoughts of the game. All that can be said with certainty is that there is a woman with a sword, anything else is likely the result of a reckless imagination.

Right, but what I'm not getting here is why you think it has pretension; what is the pretense you think the game has? Something lacking meaning does not mean that it is pretension, it means it's vacuous, which is not the same thing. Does it pretend to have meaning? If so, what meaning does it pretend to have? What within the work clues us in to that intended meaning?

Stories designed like Transistor's certainly have a leg up on any detractors. I want to understand, but I'll never have the magic insight necessary to understand things like Transistor. I simply don't get it.

Supergiant, I think it's time to end this insanity. Explain Transistor.

Edit: Has there ever been any patch notes for Transistor? I feel like its gotten three patches a day since release, but I have no idea what's changed.

I haven't even finished the game yet and I've gleaned enough to have an idea of what's going on - but more importantly, there have already been plenty of small character moments to give the game color.

There's also plenty more that can be said "with certainty" than it just being about a woman and a talking sword. There are even extensive character profiles that fill out as you use different abilities.

I feel like I shouldn't even have to point this out, either, but the amount of things that can be said with certainly about a story don't give it value. A good story defies paraphrase. "It's about a woman and a sword" isn't even a good attempt at paraphrasing.

Jachaos

I played the majority of my first play through with Ping+Bounce+Spark, Burst + Switch.

A shotgun that makes enemies love you, and a gatling gun that shoots everything on screen regardless of alignment. Super fun, until you accidently switch everyone on the field and you can't do damage to anything.

Wow, that's a great combo too. I simply love finishing the enemies in real time even if most of the damage was done in turns.

For example here where I didn't really abuse the Ping+Cull cheese on the last enemy so the video doesn't really show what I wanted to do, but still, using Ping to finish off enemies is satisfying.

jamsy

Liking it so far - I'm about 3 hours in maybe - but I just wish the city wasn't so damn empty.

I know it's like Bastion, but even Bastion had a few people you could speak with in that overworld. Give me some NPCs to talk to or anything really. The combat is good and all, but would be nice if there was something besides that....

I just realized what this game is reminding me of.

Megaman Battle Network.

I mean not completely, but I realized I loved this type of combat elsewhere and that's where it was. Pattern recognition, strategy and reflexes, many enemies in an arena, waiting for a bar to charge and fighting by other means in the meantime, customizing your character and creating attack combos...

The fact it feels like one of my favourite games of all time as far as combat goes while also having many differences to it, and that the game has a great art style and soundtrack and voice acting and story (when you begin understanding it eventually)... yeah it's a great game.

Odd, I'm getting a BOF: Dragon Quarter on my end.

I'm also having way too much of a kvetch over which skills to sub onto WAVE DASH for more zigzag beatdowns. Wanting that 2nd one to open up quickly.

Endo Punk

Looking forward to get my hands on the game tomorrow. Visuals, characters, soundtrack and gameplay have already won me over. Haven't played a game like this in quite some time so it will feel like a breath of fresh air. Heard people compare it to Parasite Eve regarding the gameplay, that just makes me want it more! Although the game turning PS4 into a jet engine has me a little worried.

Jachaos

Looking forward to get my hands on the game tomorrow. Visuals, characters, soundtrack and gameplay have already won me over. Haven't played a game like this in quite some time so it will feel like a breath of fresh air. Heard people compare it to Parasite Eve regarding the gameplay, that just makes me want it more! Although the game turning PS4 into a jet engine has me a little worried.

So that's not just me ? Well, normally, my PS4 makes no sound. None. It's dead silent. The 360 Slim sounds like a jet compared to it. But when I play this game and mute the sound, the fan is noticeable. It's still not nearly a jet engine at all, but I was wondering if it was the game or simply the fact it's not freezing outside and it's getting hotter here than it's ever been since launch.

Right, but what I'm not getting here is why you think it has pretension; what is the pretense you think the game has? Something lacking meaning does not mean that it is pretension, it means it's vacuous, which is not the same thing. Does it pretend to have meaning? If so, what meaning does it pretend to have? What within the work clues us in to that intended meaning?

I see. I suppose I am conflating pretention with vacuity, because that is my criticism of the game. Transistor is trying to be this grand emotional journey when it is entirely unearned. The game is too transient for me to make any sort of connection with the world or its inhabitants, and as a result the ending is as confounding as it is meaningless.

The game would have been better if they had focused more on the combat and less on the story, because it is currently a slow, random picture gallery between gameplay arenas.

Or, go the other direction, remove the combat, and make Transistor the adventure game it so desperately wants to be. I'm ready for sing puzzles, using the Transistor on everything under the brightglobe, and mildly amusing dialog. If Supergiant does this, we might actually get the chance to
talk/interact with that black cat on the second Camarilla guy's shoulder!
I'd look up the name, but since I've rolled over to Recursion I haven't been able to access my skill menu.

Edit
Steam forum for Transistor has a pinned thread with patch notes at the top.
Nearly forgot to say thanks!

They've also updated the Recent News spot with info on the patch, so it should be easier to keep track of their updates now.

Permanently A

One thing eludes me... if you Jaunt into a Cell (those things you have to pick up otherwise the enemy respawns) during Turn, why does it say you have to break it or something? Don't really get it.

Just started it on PS4, and gotta say - I really like this "talking & light-pulsing gamepad" thingie, it adds a lot to the immersion. Also, combat is nice, can't wait to play it more and experiment a bit.
So that's not just me ? Well, normally, my PS4 makes no sound. None. It's dead silent. The 360 Slim sounds like a jet compared to it. But when I play this game and mute the sound, the fan is noticeable. It's still not nearly a jet engine at all, but I was wondering if it was the game or simply the fact it's not freezing outside and it's getting hotter here than it's ever been since launch.
My PS4 started getting unusually noisy too (after an hour and a half or 2... not sure). And I mean unusually noisy - neve heard it that loud :/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Same here. Played a couple hours of Bastion & while I didn't hate it, I thought it was nothing special and didn't bother to return to it. But I enjoyed Transistor enough to finish it in two sittings.

Same. I even revisited Bastion after putting time into transistor to gauge if I was too harsh on it a few years back.

Nope! Pushing through a few more levels on my old save and my original complaints came flooding back. Really digging transistor far more.

Mesoian

So if you're playing transistor with Limiters on, and you lose an ability, there's no point in continuing, you just need to retry from checkpoint.

Which makes the game's inability to skip cutscenes FUCKING CRIMINAL!

So I'm looking at a stream of this game and its presentation seems very much like Bastion. That coupled with talk that it's only like 6 hours long makes it hard for me to want to pay full price for this game. I'd love to get it when it's on Steam sale down the road.

Is there anything particularly compelling about this game that I wouldn't be able to tell from a stream that's motivating people to buy it outright?

Grief.exe

So I'm looking at a stream of this game and its presentation seems very much like Bastion. That coupled with talk that it's only like 6 hours long makes it hard for me to want to pay full price for this game. I'd love to get it when it's on Steam sale down the road.

Is there anything particularly compelling about this game that I wouldn't be able to tell from a stream that's motivating people to buy it outright?

G8V4ljz.png

xkramz

It's an indie game. And we'll worth $20 IMO.

Before I played Bastion I had seen some gameplay footage, seen the "narrator" gimmick and felt more or less the same way you do about Transistor but once I played it, I felt drawn to the world and the subtle yet simple ways that the world was built, both figuratively and literally around the main character and I found it to have more charm, creativity and ingenuity than you could squeeze out of most AAA games of the past console generation.

I don't think that with both Bastion or Transistor you can truly understand and value them unless you play them first hand and explore them at your own pace. Journey was similarly priced, was a relatively short experience but one that I repeated and a game that marked me much more than others, just as Bastion did, so I guess the question lies with what you value in a game.

Fou-Lu

So, storyline interpretations?:
I get that Cloudbank is a program of some kind, something similar to the Matrix I suppose, and it's implied that going to 'The Country' is logging out of the program. However, what does Transistor do to those killed by it? Are Red and Logan/Transistor/Whateveryoucallem' logged out, or dead for reals?

Sai-kun

Banned
Any tips for running through things with all 10 Limiters on? I barely survived a fight with 2 Jerks, a couple Snapshots, and Cluckers. Then the next encounter was 5 Men, 5 Snapshots, and a whole bunch more bullshit.

Gimme ideas for cool combos, y'all. Only having 22MEM is gonna suck

Mesoian

Any tips for running through things with all 10 Limiters on? I barely survived a fight with 2 Jerks, a couple Snapshots, and Cluckers. Then the next encounter was 5 Men, 5 Snapshots, and a whole bunch more bullshit.

No idea. A full limiter run of this game seems like it would be the most frustrating thing ever. I had all of them on except the memory limitation and got rocked by EVERYTHING.

No idea. A full limiter run of this game seems like it would be the most frustrating thing ever. I had all of them on except the memory limitation and got rocked by EVERYTHING.

Multiple shielded Badcells are a pain in the ass. Help() is very useful in taking them out so you won't get overwhelmed too badly.

Before I played Bastion I had seen some gameplay footage, seen the "narrator" gimmick and felt more or less the same way you do about Transistor but once I played it, I felt drawn to the world and the subtle yet simple ways that the world was built, both figuratively and literally around the main character and I found it to have more charm, creativity and ingenuity than you could squeeze out of most AAA games of the past console generation.

I don't think that with both Bastion or Transistor you can truly understand and value them unless you play them first hand and explore them at your own pace. Journey was similarly priced, was a relatively short experience but one that I repeated and a game that marked me much more than others, just as Bastion did, so I guess the question lies with what you value in a game.

Honestly at this point I'm feeling that in a world where Bastion already exists, and I've played it, that I don't feel compelled to drop $20 on Transistor. Like Bastion I'll probably wait for it to go on Steam Sale or gets included in a Humble Bundle.

Transistor very much feels like a game in the same "series" as Bastion, with its art and writing, but the combat is pretty different. I imagine a lot of people who though Bastion was shallow will find something to like about it (and conversely, I'm sure some people hoping for a pure action game again might be disappointed).

Vire

Here ya go:

Passive:
Jaunt (lowers turn time recovery)
Void (increases all damage to all functions)
Crash (reduces physical damage)
Get (sucks in cells)

Tap()+Ping()+Void() (Tactical view)

Spark()+Spark()+Jaunt() (Spam while you are waiting for turn recovery)

Mask() (If you are in trouble waiting for a turn, or if you want to increase damage of tap in tactical view)

I've done very very well with this, even with all limiters on.

HORRORSHØW

can't remember the exact names or combos off the top of my head, but i know i have the shield passive, as well as the damage reduction passive. i have heal+ping, bounce+jaunt to get rid of shielded cells when i'm out of moves, and void for the debuff.

Mesoian

I get that Cloudbank is a program of some kind, something similar to the Matrix I suppose, and it's implied that going to 'The Country' is logging out of the program. However, what does Transistor do to those killed by it? Are Red and Logan/Transistor/Whateveryoucallem' logged out, or dead for reals?

Individual people within the game are refered to as users. So some sort of higher functioning society of real people living inside the computer may be implied. I think people are being force logged out, while Transistor is the only person who's actually "died" and by died and mean, consciousness permanently implanted into the transistor. Everyone you see along the way who are corrupted seem to have been put in a state of corruption, so the process seems to be destroying consciousnesses within the system. Which makes the idea of the Camerata more reasonable. People don't want this structure, this society, this way of life to change at the whim of a few people that the populous find interesting, so you take the source code, the code that makes up everything and use it to wipe everything you don't like away, then use the key to shaping said code to rebuild it in the way you see fit. Which is why the ending happens the way it does. Red's guy isn't getting out, he's part of the source now. Whether she remakes this digital world the way she sees fit or logs out into the physical world, she's still lost him. So she goes where he is. Into the transistor

NZNova

This notation for combined functions is neat. Would be neater if it was Spark(Jaunt()) instead of Spark() + Jaunt() though

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hm. I'll try to restrain my wordiness...

There is an assumption by Supergiant that the story is both compelling and significant, when this is not the case.

Seems to me that is the "pretense" of most creative endeavors. Who would waste their time creating art that isn't compelling or significant?

It was not the case for you, the subject. That alone cannot be the criterion by which pretension is established.

Zomba13

I saw it as
Cloudbank was just a super high tech city with a lot of parallels to a program. "The Country" is their heaven or the after-life because all they have is city, no country and it's an idealised and nicer image of death than just nothing.

Those killed by the Transistor are added to it as functions/digitised I think. So Logan/Red's boyfriend/husband was killed by it protecting Red and became a part of the transistor adding to it's power. It can also absorb/download people killed by the Process too because reasons. The people are in the Transistor but not really alive or dead. Like their consciousness is there and they can communicate with others if they share a bond (like Red and Man).

The process was used to build/expand Cloudbank. Royce said he used to use it but let Grant have it as part of his plan to improve Cloudbank but it got out of hand and the process just deletes everything and resets it to a blank canvas with no limits or restrictions.

Red and Man are "dead" in that their bodies are dead and empty but they will live on in the transistor in their idea of heaven (the country) while Cloudbank stays as a mostly blank canvas with no one (almost no one?) left in it.

Few things I'm not 100% (not that I'm 100% on those previous thing, just I feel comfortable with that interpretation) on but theories and discussion are fun.
Why did the Camerata want Red? I think it was because she was a popular artist with a message to her songs (that got her into a bit of trouble). They wanted her so they could control the public. By adding her to the transistor they may have been able to use her voice for their message as a way of controlling the public. But things went wrong and Man jumped into the way of the Transistor and got downloaded not Red so how did she lose her voice? Did they not really "take" it but she lost it because of mourning for man? Like screaming/crying and her voice just gave out? Or was there some other reason? Maybe the Transistor got some of Red (her voice but not her life) before Man stepped in and that is why she has a function? Then again you can get some of the Camerata functions before they die so I dunno.

Mesoian

Oh I just found a new favorite.

Jaunt + Purge + Spark

Crash + Ping + Tap

Mask + Mask + Switch

Void + Get + Cull

Help as passive

I have turned into a Starcraft Carrier.

Skilletor

It's fun to play.

Rnr1224

damn this game is much more fun than i thought it would be. Glad i picked this up. The soundtrack is also amazing as well. the debut trailer music was great when it came out, so its good to see the rest of the album holds up.

Vire

You know, I was pretty skeptical about the whole light bar stuff, but seeing it in practice actually made me a believer. It's kinda neat! I think it's because they meticulously synched it to the voice acting perfectly which must have taken an inordinate amount of time.

Top Bottom