• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Sami+

I think I'm just not good at the game, but I can't seem to find any use for Switch() - I have it permanently disabled because accidentally making enemies invincible outweighed the benefit of having them shoot at other enemies for a few seconds. I probably just suck or something though.

Mesoian

I think I'm just not good at the game, but I can't seem to find any use for Switch() - I have it permanently disabled because accidentally making enemies invincible outweighed the benefit of having them shoot at other enemies for a few seconds. I probably just suck or something though.

Distraction. The friendly AI in this game is braindead, but being able to have 1 less guy attacking you on screen can be helpful early on.

Cheerleaders you Switch() will give you shielding; that can help you while you wait for your Turn to recharge.

graywolf323

Same here. Played a couple hours of Bastion & while I didn't hate it, I thought it was nothing special and didn't bother to return to it. But I enjoyed Transistor enough to finish it in two sittings.

pretty much my experience as well, I tried out Bastion but it didn't hook me and I was playing through some other games at the time and never got back to it (think I only played about an hour of it though?)

meanwhile Transistor I beat in two days of playing and am going to try to beat the new game plus mode as well since I found the story very intriguing

Sai-kun

Banned
Here ya go:

Passive:
Jaunt (lowers turn time recovery)
Void (increases all damage to all functions)
Crash (reduces physical damage)
Get (sucks in cells)

Tap()+Ping()+Void() (Tactical view)

Spark()+Spark()+Jaunt() (Spam while you are waiting for turn recovery)

Mask() (If you are in trouble waiting for a turn, or if you want to increase damage of tap in tactical view)

I've done very very well with this, even with all limiters on.

The bolded is incredible. Like, holy shit, for real. And Spark is perfect for picking up cells during recovery. Props dude, I blazed through the 2 other encounters I needed for the achievement! <3

Cerity

Finding the grid based deal rather frustrating, running with 6 limiters now and whether my my packets go off is pretty crucial. The game deciding I want to hit the enemy instead of my packet is rather annoying and having to check whether or not I'm actually hitting them during the turn really pulls me out of the combat. Might be time to find another combination of attacks.

Phatmac

Finished it and wow what an incredible games. Loved all of it really just thought the main game was a bit short. I think I liked Bastion better but it's tough for me to decide that. Gonna try and beat it again with limiters on.

Individual people within the game are refered to as users. So some sort of higher functioning society of real people living inside the computer may be implied. I think people are being force logged out, while Transistor is the only person who's actually "died" and by died and mean, consciousness permanently implanted into the transistor. Everyone you see along the way who are corrupted seem to have been put in a state of corruption, so the process seems to be destroying consciousnesses within the system. Which makes the idea of the Camerata more reasonable. People don't want this structure, this society, this way of life to change at the whim of a few people that the populous find interesting, so you take the source code, the code that makes up everything and use it to wipe everything you don't like away, then use the key to shaping said code to rebuild it in the way you see fit. Which is why the ending happens the way it does. Red's guy isn't getting out, he's part of the source now. Whether she remakes this digital world the way she sees fit or logs out into the physical world, she's still lost him. So she goes where he is. Into the transistor

I just finished the game tonight and enjoyed it a great deal with the exception of the final level's enemies. The last boss was a treat - and brings me the above:

During the last boss fight, it seems to take place in "The Country" or somewhere similar. In the arena are several pod-like things with people inside them. It may give credence to the above theory. And as to why the Camerata wanted Red - they didn't, really. From reading Cybil's background on the Help ability Cybill convinced them to go after her since she was infatuated with her.

Kaldea

Just finished the game. I've been really feeling like I've been growing out of games lately, or like the vast majority of new games aren't made for someone like me in mind. Transistor just hit the right spot in me and it was nothing but a complete joy to play. I can't wait to get NG+ started now. You've made something wonderful, Supergiant Games. :D

I just got the Platinum trophy, and I have to extend my congratulations to Supergiant Games for making the first truly great PS4 game.

I still hate the ending, though, and I'm pretty disappointed that Recursion Mode doesn't add anything to the story.

Spoilers for the entire game, including Recursion Mode.

So Recursion Mode begins with Royce somehow talking to Red through the Transistor, saying they wouldn't get away with this or something like that. It would have been really cool if he had kept talking to you throughout the game, perhaps offering more insight into the nature of Cloudbank and the Process. Yes, that's a ripoff of Nier, but more games should ripoff Nier. And like all games involving endless loops (Recursions) the ending could change to reflect Red's and Royce's knowledge of the recursive nature of their situation/Cloudbank. But I guess Recursion Mode isn't actually part of the narrative even though the opening line changes. Lame.

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed every other element of the game.

Vire

So what's everyone's record in practice mode?

BoS8cOVIcAApDgI.jpg:orig

Just hit 23,231. /humblebrag

Mesoian

I don't get how people are getting numbers that high. Everything explodes upon 1800, then I have to wait for more drones to come in.

Vire

I don't get how people are getting numbers that high. Everything explodes upon 1800, then I have to wait for more drones to come in.

Maybe I shouldn't tell my secret... but get a group of 3 drones next to each to spawn in.

Use Mask. Use Summon doggy.

Activate Tactical Mode:

Use Void 3 times, then Cull (should take out the three drones). Then switch to the dog and attack fourth drone. Of course you need to have the functions upgraded as seen in the screenshot for this all to work properly. There's probably an even better method, I just haven't figured it out yet - but I'm happy with this. :p

EDIT: Just got 34,117 actually. Was more patient and got 4 drones to spawn right next to each other..

kasavin

A bug? Limiter is still blowing up my shit when I unequip even though I turned it off. Still happening after a fight or so.

Not clear enough but that Limiter's effects linger through to the next Access Point you reach even after turning it off, to prevent a state where you could just toggle it off, reconfigure, then toggle it back on for the XP reward.

teokrazia

Played about three hours.
I love the style, I love the sword voice, I love the functions system and the soundtrack is a pure blast, but I don't know, something is not clicking me.

Oh man... this game. I just love it to death. I want a publisher to give this developer endless funding to make the most epic RPG of all time.

Grief.exe

For people going after the Steam achievements, has anyone gotten Memory()? It's for unlocking 32 memory.

Just keep leveling up.

Oh wow the last performance test is hard. 16 steps. I'll try again after a night sleep I guess.

I just did that one. Take it slow and make sure to have an excellent range/disrupt.

Ping() + Cull()
Purge() + Breach()

If possible, combine these with Jaunt to use after turn(). This allows you to keep up the pressure and keep enemies at bay at all times.

I'm struggling on Speed Test 6.

Just keep leveling up.

Yeah, I got it once I hit 20. What confused was that I read how people were getting it at level 17, apparently. I went to some PlayStation trophy website and that's where people were saying they got it so I thought maybe it was bugged on my end or something.

Meia

Yeah, I got it once I hit 20. What confused was that I read how people were getting it at level 17, apparently. I went to some PlayStation trophy website and that's where people were saying they got it so I thought maybe it was bugged on my end or something.

Well, I'm pretty sure what pops up on level up is totally random. I mean, I can just guess that that's the case since I've had some abilities I've turned down once pop up again later.

...I'm still waiting to continue playing the game since I've been on hold at the 7 hour mark after a game update knocked the game down to 5fps. This has been a.....fun experience. :|

Trickytoon

Neo Member
Played about three hours.
I love the style, I love the sword voice, I love the functions system and the soundtrack is a pure blast, but I don't know, something is not clicking me.

Same here and I felt the same about Bastion. The combat isn't clicking for me at all at the moment but I'm enjoying the world and the graphics enough to plough through.

gruenel

Man I love this game. Have been playing it on PS4 nonstop since it came out.

Some of the challenges are pretty hard in the sense that you have to find a good skill combo to beat them. I did that last performance test yesterday, I think it took me close to an hour! Pretty lengthy. Finished it on my first try though. My function setup was mainly based on Tap() with Tap() and Crash() as upgrades, Mask() and a few damage and Plan() enhancing passives. Then just spam Tap() all the time and use Mask() if you need loads of AoE damage. You heal yourself so much with this setup it's really quite hard to die.

Now I only need to finish new game+ for my platinum which should be easy. I really hope there's DLC with more content coming, I would be buying it without a doubt.

My only criticism of this game is that they should swap L1/R1 and L2/R2 when using remote play.

Mdk7

Played it yesterday nite, it completely blew me away with its aesthetics, its art direction, its atmosphere, its soundtrack.
Everything is just so incredibly fascinating, this morning i woke up and instantly thought about it a second after i opened my eyes.
Yeah, it's that good.

PS: visually is among the greatest stuff i've EVER seen in my life... looks like a true work of art (all made by one person!).

jamsy

Err, so I just realized limiters do not pad your stats but instead made the game harder in exchange for more XP.

They really should've explained that better...

Spineker

Banned
Still not completely sold on this. Visuals are great but the story is very poorly told. I find the narrator pretty annoying too. Gameplay is solid.

The acting in general in this game is pretty good, but wow (late-game)
Royce
is something else.

I was going to post about how great I thought his voice was earlier but I felt like it was too soon to even hint to anything in the late game given the lack of voiced characters in the title. His performance was totally unique and his melancholic rambling perfectly matched the tone of the game. As somebody who though the general audio was lacking next to Bastion he was real stand out, in fact if his voice replaced the mystery man like new game + suggested at the start I would have immediately played through the game again.

Zafir

Does anyone know if this has 1440p support on PC? Or is 1080p the highest?
No, all the art work is 1080p. I think you can brute force 1440p in an ini I saw some one say but even that won't look ideal.

I just ran it in 1080p and it still looked ok on my 1440p monitor.

Cerity

Just finished up. I think overall Bastion was the better game, world building was great and the sound track was unforgettable (Zulfs', Zias' and the Ending theme) compared to what I saw here. I think for each function the file inspection could have been done better, reading just doesn't flesh out each character that well IMO. The gameplay in transistor much, much better though. Going to go for a 100% I think with this. The gameplay is good enough to warrant it.

I thought Royce's VA was a little flakey until
you met him in person
, after that it was great. He slipped in and out of different characters/voices. It just be me but I caught in recursion
that it was actually Royce who says "Red, we're not going to get away with this are we" and not the guy.

I'll see what else I dig up in the next playthrough but I'm not expecting my impression to change.

This gameplay is really superb. When you realise how the powers come together, it's like that sensation of crafting your first weapon in Vagrant Story or getting a gambit set up right in FF12.

Indifferent to the story but love the artwork.

Anybody hesitating at the price - nothing else recently comes close to this much value for pure game design elegance. Nothing.

Jesus Christ this game is so good and I've only been playing for an hour!

It's sadly one of those games where as a spectator, the combat looks sort of average, but when you get your hands on it, the mechanics are just sublime.

Absolutely fallen in love with it already. The art, animations & music are wonderful as well of course, but I'm so glad the combat feels as great as it does.

Grief.exe

Does anyone know if this has 1440p support on PC? Or is 1080p the highest?

Yes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/237930/discussions/0/558756256586842153/

Jesus Christ this game is so good and I've only been playing for an hour!

It's sadly one of those games where as a spectator, the combat looks sort of average, but when you get your hands on it, the mechanics are just sublime.

Absolutely fallen in love with it already. The art, animations & music are wonderful as well of course, but I'm so glad the combat feels as great as it does.

The combat system has a crazy amount of depth.

My first play through, I spent the entire game in planning mode, now I spend the majority in real time.

Mesoian

Did NG+ last night, If you use help on the end boss, the game doesn't know what to do. It's actually more cheezy using Get+Cull.

I'm ready for a full feature length RPG with this combat system, maybe without losing powers upon dying though. The combos I've made, they make me feel powerful in this world. A lightning fast maelstrom of death.

The combat system has a crazy amount of depth.

My first play through, I spent the entire game in planning mode, now I spend the majority in real time.

Yup. At this point, I use Planning mode when I need to heal, and never otherwise.

Top Bottom