• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

I have it downloaded, waiting to be played, but I have to get ready and walk the dogs before I do anything. Fuck you real life!

Daigoro

It seems to be working, thank fuck:

Your console is downloading this item.

i bought it but its not downloading yet. wife was supposed to turn on xbox this morning when she got up.

getting antsy!

edit: ZOMG its downloading. home in an out or so. cant wait!

Oreoleo

Can someone give a brief overview of how you do some of the more difficult moves? eg bunny-hop and getting further on ramps. Not just the control inputs, but any tips on timing too would be useful.

The original Trials HD doesn't really explain properly, you're just left to figure it out and it frustrated me.

You will be happy to hear there are proper tutorials in the game this time around! The game has a license system similar to Burnout Paradise. You have to take a "license test" to upgrade wherein they explain maneuvers you will need to execute to beat the following levels. Starts off with simple leaning, acceleration, going up hills, etc. By the 3rd license test they were explaining bunny hopping and slightly more advanced maneuvers like that. With 2 more license tests ahead of me still, I'm sure they cover just about anything you would need to know.

They packed much more into the customization aspect of the game which is nice. You earn money for beating tracks along with medals which affords you different parts for your rider and bike, and there is probably 5x as many parts/accessories compared to the first game so I imagine there will be a steady feeling of unlock progression at least, even if you hit a wall in your ability to clear a difficult level at some point.

But.

One thing I am struggling with though is the camera. The default position is pulled back and slightly looking ahead compared to the first game, giving a weird almost isometric look to things. That isn't so bad in itself, but as I was afraid of after playing the 2nd DLC for Trials HD, they've gone way overboard on the camera swings here. The levels are more dynamic with things falling and going off in the background, and I sort of feel it's at the expense of being able to focus on the game at hand. Many times I've been mid air and unable to see the ground below me or directly ahead of me because the camera is pulled too far up so I can see the beautiful scenery. Which is great except it leads to me crashing more. I crashed on the same spot on the 3rd level literally 3 or 4 times in a row because I wasn't able to see where I was going to land and at what angle. It was a combination of the camera being pulled too far back and the track blending in with the background. Hopefully it's lessened as the levels get harder and you have to focus more on obstacles and ability rather than the spectacle of the graphics, because as it stands it's kind of hampering my enjoyment of the game.

Oh and I think putting the game outside, while making the levels more varied has come at the expense of visual fidelity. Bike shadow looks noticeably worse than in the first game (is there even a player shadow in Trials HD), and every time I restart a level there is Unreal Engine style texture pop-in. Gross.

surly

Banned
I've just played this for about 90 minutes and I absolutely love it. If you liked the first game then buying this one is an absolute no-brainer IMO.

The only issue I had is when I tried to play online multiplayer. The matchmaking was very quick and I had no problems with the first batch of races, but once they ended (I came 3rd, boo!) it matched me up with some new players and the choices of tracks just said "unknown" and when everyone clicked the ready button, it said that the game state was corrupt (or something like that) and kicked me back to the multiplayer menu. Maybe that was just an isolated incident, but if it is a bug then hopefully it'll be fixed quickly.

One thing that does feel a bit odd IMO is that when you race online you have up to 4 guys in a row and to me it would make sense if you were always the nearest player to the screen, but you're not. It can make it harder to concentrate on what's going on. A minor gripe though really.

Oh, and the Track Central thing is brilliant. So well done.

Sectus

Anyone know how the "snap to grid" function works in the editor? I want to create a series of pipes which have the same Z axis but when I set it to snap to a grid and define the workplane it doesn't seem to do anything, whenever I place objects they are still placed completely freely.

The only issue I had is when I tried to play online multiplayer. The matchmaking was very quick and I had no problems with the first batch of races, but once they ended (I came 3rd, boo!) it matched me up with some new players and the choices of tracks just said "unknown" and when everyone clicked the ready button, it said that the game state was corrupt (or something like that) and kicked me back to the multiplayer menu. Maybe that was just an isolated incident, but if it is a bug then hopefully it'll be fixed quickly.

I've been getting this too. It says the settings are corrupt. I also had my level reset from 2 down to 1 last night for no apparent reason, so I'd definitely be wary of online right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone know how the "snap to grid" function works in the editor? I want to create a series of pipes which have the same Z axis but when I set it to snap to a grid and define the workplane it doesn't seem to do anything, whenever I place objects they are still placed completely freely.
One of the tutorials in OP covers it, though I'm not sure which one.

Oreoleo

Alright multiplayer is SERIOUSLY fun.

It is sort of annoying being furthest away from the screen when everyone is neck and neck and you can't see anything, but the other mode where you play the single player levels and opponents appear as ghosts is so, so sweet.

It is sort of annoying being furthest away from the screen when everyone is neck and neck and you can't see anything, but the other mode where you play the single player levels and opponents appear as ghosts is so, so sweet.

Is that real-time MP?

PaulLFC

Reading all these impressions is making the wait until tonight even longer :( I should stay out of the thread, but I can't!

Pookmunki

Getting this sucker when I get home, if only so my son can laugh at pressing the bail button and the fact daddy is awful at Trials even without this occuring.

Good times.

Kweh

What level of multiplayer will I have as a Silver member?

Leaderboards will work right? What about ghosts of other players on the screen?

Is this the case in online multiplayer also? I would have figured they would have put you at the front in online matches.

U2NUMB

Has anyone tried Angry Bikers in Track Central yet?

All kinds of brilliant.

I saw that but did not give it a try yet. Had to shoot to work but I LOVE how they handle user tracks and then in track central how they have things populated under Play Now. Having a section where it uploads friends tracks that list is brilliant on top of everything else.

The user tracks will extend the life of this game till forever.

surly

Banned
Is this the case in online multiplayer also? I would have figured they would have put you at the front in online matches.
Yeah, it is. I don't know why they did it like that, cos I think whoever is at the front has a very slight advantage as it's easier to see what's going on and not get distracted by the other riders. It makes little sense when every player has their own screen, so they could all be at the front.

What level of multiplayer will I have as a Silver member?

Leaderboards will work right? What about ghosts of other players on the screen?

Leaderboards & ghosts are still there even if you're silver. I guess you only miss out on the MP races.

Headhunter

Neo Member
That's why PS3 will always be 2nd :)

/ironie

Game is just great and the twilight tracks are particularly beautiful. Great work RedLynx....

Jb

Genuinely impressed with every single aspects of this game so far. The whole UGC component is amazing.

Zoltar007

Neo Member
Played it for about 90 minutes so far & haven't noticed any screen tearing at res 1366x768.

Multiplayer matches can take ~5-7 minutes to find players right now.

aku:jiki

My only complaint is the screen tearing.
My only complaint is the utterly busted multiplayer... My friend has been reset to level 1 TWICE (in like an hour of play!), I keep getting "undefined" maps, searching keeps failing, players getting tossed out constantly, ghost players in your party even though they turned their xbox off 15 minutes ago... It's a complete clusterfuck.

whitehawk

Banned
Game is so fun. I love everything, although... Is it just me, or do the bikes handle differently? The physics don't feel quite the same as HD. I'll get used to it I suppose.

Man, Inferno 3 is hard. I beat it, but with 103 faults. It's somewhere in between an extreme track and a ninja track.

MMaRsu

Just bought it, had to go out and buy more ms points, at least they had a great deal 15 euros for 1600 points! Now to start playing!

Top Bottom