• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

Just Platinumed the Limbo track. Feels good man.

Also, do the jerseys bother anyone else? Luckily I'm Irish but the American, Dutch and English jerseys are not really distint. I dunno. It's a weird qualm I have with the game :p

Najaf

Watching Brad's new Quick Look and I also can't understand why he is THIS bad for as much as he plays (Trials and games in general). Watch the top replays or even the replays in the top thousands!

He does virtually no body shifting in the air and that is clearly the biggest thing he needs to learn. He has no idea how to land jumps of any size. With that said, it's still fun to watch. :)

Well, after watching some of that quicklook, it is apparent that they do not know you can watch replays. Brad actually says it is unfortunate that it is only the ghost dots. They looked for the option, but everyone on his friends list is on his level, so the Y option to view replay is not there. They never scroll over to the world leaderboards of course.

Woot, it feels pretty damn good to finish a track you've been struggling on. Just managed to beat Way of the Ninja even though it took me almost 27 mins and 350 faults. So that leaves me three more Extreme tracks to finish. I think I'm going back to the Wreck after this... that fucking scoreboard in Dark City Run can still wait and can't even get to the first checkpoint in Inferno.

And congrats to my fellow Finns at Red Lynx. Great game.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just Platinumed the Limbo track. Feels good man.

Also, do the jerseys bother anyone else? Luckily I'm Irish but the American, Dutch and English jerseys are not really distint. I dunno. It's a weird qualm I have with the game :p
I've got a UK shirt next to my name because my 360 is set to the UK and not The Netherlands. Setting it to The Netherlands would cause the game to be in Dutch which I dislike a lot. Wish they would've just used flags though.

Also, I hate the Limbo track. Every 2D track actually.

daw840

I've got a UK shirt next to my name because my 360 is set to the UK and not The Netherlands. Setting it to The Netherlands would cause the game to be in Dutch which I dislike a lot. Wish they would've just used flags though.

Also, I hate the Limbo track. Every 2D track actually.

Agreed, I cannot stand that fucking Limbo track. Oddly enough, I hated Limbo too.

Brakara

Finally got 400/400. 0-faulting that Scenic Route tournament was more of a bitch than it should be. Fairly easy tracks, but also pretty easy to mess up, especially when you get nervous during the last couple of tracks. I even failed to jump to the final ramp in Around the Ranch, but somehow managed to flip backwards and roll back down without faulting. When that happened, I just knew that if I didn't manage to get the achievement then, I never would. Though I think I set a new record for going slow on The Ascent.

pegaso

Neo Member
I get it by sheer luck after 150 or 200 tries. The only Extreme track that I can't gold. (That one in The Wreck is a bitch too.)

Pepto

Banned
That limbo track was terrible. Pits that you can't see before it's too late and that one jump that is pure luck. First track that I didn't enjoy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I find the score board part much easier if you just jump over the boards. Back up and get a massive bunny hop and you clear that step, easy from there. You have to have the right balance when you first get going though. Tricky to get right but still easier for me than doing it the right way.

MrDaravon

Why the fuck is getting a Platinum on the very first level in this game basically the hardest thing in this game? I've got Golds or Platinums on everything but the Extreme tracks and Tournaments, and I've got at least Silver on all the Extreme tracks, but I have spent more time on this first fucking level trying to get a Platinum than all the Extreme tracks put together.

Haunted

Damn, getting over that barrel in The Wreck is just wrecking me. Only track in the game that made me put the game down... now twice.

pegaso

Neo Member
Damn, getting over that barrel in The Wreck is just wrecking me. Only track in the game that made me put the game down... now twice.

You can only get over it in a very specific way. Watch how those freaks on the leaderboard do it if you're stuck.

MrDaravon

The Wreck is the only level in the game I wound up completely failing out of. I didn't have a ton of trouble on the barrel part though, I get fucked equally by the steep ramp then going over the logs near the beginning, and then mainly by the box at the top of the steep ramp right before the end. The momentum/brake track to get over straight vertical stuff like that barrel isn'ttoo bad once you get the hang of it.

Sethinon

Neo Member
Potentially stupid question. Watching the top replays, people are flipping on jumps all the time. Is there a reason for this besides showing off?

Zeth

6 faults on The Wreck might be one of my best gaming achievements. I am 100% finished playing the track. It's been burnt into my brain the past few days.

Way of the Ninja is the final Gold I need in Extreme, hoping to get it tonight and moving on to Platinums, which seem incredibly difficult from the few I've attempted.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
after faulting for like the 200th time....I just put the controller down quietly and walked away. my wife told me i was "acting weird" by being all calm...but it was pure rage inside.

If I was you I would've taken her to the master bedroom for some angry sex.

feels_goodman.jpg

=D

Brakara

Potentially stupid question. Watching the top replays, people are flipping on jumps all the time. Is there a reason for this besides showing off?

Flips make it easier to land on your back wheel and get faster speed and momentum. Every millisecond counts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Flips make it easier to land on your back wheel and get faster speed and momentum. Every millisecond counts.

How? Surely if your back wheel is down it'll hit the ground first? Or does it mean that if you are rotating clockwise when your back wheel hits, you are less likely to wheelie out from under you?

Overdoziz

Banned
Flipping a certain way gives you more momentum bringing you farther. Also landing right after a flip can cause you to 'bounce' forward with more force than it would when you don't do a flip.

Oreoleo

MARATHON 1. FUCKING. ACHIEVED!

300/300, suck it

i never wanna play trials hd ever again ;_; back to evo

My heart was beating so hard through Groundhog Returns.. after I passed it I seriously thought I was gonna hyperventilate or something. The last track is one of the easiest in the game but I had to take a break before I did it just to regain composure so I didn't fuck up from all the adrenaline.

I think my buddy pushes me to achieve greatness on Ridinghood :p Finished at rank 54 with a 48.835. Still have room to improve, my rear wheel caught the edge of a boulder once or twice and I am still having trouble with the last jump :/

Gen X

MARATHON 1. FUCKING. ACHIEVED!

300/300, suck it

i never wanna play trials hd ever again ;_; back to evo

My heart was beating so hard through Groundhog Returns.. after I passed it I seriously thought I was gonna hyperventilate or something. The last track is one of the easiest in the game but I had to take a break before I did it just to regain composure so I didn't fuck up from all the adrenaline.

not_worthy.jpg

Well done dude. I'll never be able to do that without suffering a heart attack. lol

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That tournament used to be all the levels up through hard. They had to change it since only like two people actually got the achievement.

Lima

That tournament used to be all the levels up through hard. They had to change it since only like two people actually got the achievement.

Nah more people finished it and they got a t-shirt for it. I got my run down to 1-2 faults on the old marathon and was pretty pissed when they patched it while I was doing it. Because you know I actually got it on my second try after the patch.

I wanted that fucking t-shirt :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Nah more people finished it and they got a t-shirt for it. I got my run down to 1-2 faults on the old marathon and was pretty pissed when they patched it while I was doing it. Because you know I actually got it on my second try after the patch.

It was a while before people started to get it though wasn't it?

whitehawk

Banned
Well, after watching some of that quicklook, it is apparent that they do not know you can watch replays. Brad actually says it is unfortunate that it is only the ghost dots. They looked for the option, but everyone on his friends list is on his level, so the Y option to view replay is not there. They never scroll over to the world leaderboards of course.
I hate when game 'journalists' don't do proper research and therefore misrepresent the game. Extremely unprofessional and it pisses me off.

Noaloha

Quicklooks aren't really journalism mode for those guys, and especially not in this uncommon instance of them returning to a game they already quicklooked a few days ago. They're also just gamers and the quicklooks can be, and often are, just them jumping into stuff they know nothing about (or, as in this case, playing something they're enjoying) on video because it makes for entertaining content.

Najaf

Quicklooks aren't really journalism mode for those guys, and especially not in this uncommon instance of them returning to a game they already quicklooked a few days ago. They're also just gamers and the quicklooks can be, and often are, just them jumping into stuff they know nothing about (or, as in this case, playing something they're enjoying) on video because it makes for entertaining content.

Brad reviewed the game, and reviewed Trials HD. It boggles my mind that he does not know replays exist on the leaderboards. To be fair, RedLynx does not mention them in the game with a loading screen message or whatnot. I think it would have been appropriate for there to be a quick message after the A license test that said something akin to:

"Stuck on something? Check out the replays for help! Trials Evolution logs the top 10,000 replays for each track so you can always find someone to watch near your skill level conquer a track!"

I sent Brad a PM over on Giantbomb informing him of this feature. It is painful to watch him play, but he gets major kudos for sticking with it.

RedLynx said only about thirty people finished OG Marathon. The tournament featured a few hard tracks mixed in with what is now Marathon.

Rawker

i hate this freaking editor, i spend hours upon hours in it and no time actually playing the game. i wish i didnt have to work so i could stay home and do work in the editor all day and play the game at night.

Oreoleo

not_worthy.jpg

Well done dude. I'll never be able to do that without suffering a heart attack. lol

Heh, thanks man I appreciate it. I can definitely see the potential for blood pressure related heart-failure :D

Couple hours later and I've got the Flawless Victory achievement from Evo now as well. Considering I got it the same day I started attempting it I'm inclined to say it was a bit easier than Marathon ;)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Improved my Extreme tournament (whatever it is called) by like 500 faults and 20min. I finished it with 260 faults. I dont think I will be working too hard on improving that further. That would get way too frustrating.

Najaf

Tournaments are a blast. Just ranked 54th on one. I don't know about those robots who have no faulted the extreme tournament. Crazy people.

Chris R

Didn't know there was a fault or time limit. Ran out of faults on the last checkpoint of inferno 3, but after that I couldn't get past the three sloped boards two checkpoints in :/ I can get to it with no faults though. Also seems that as the tracks get harder my cursing out loud decreases, probably because I feel OK failing on hard tracks but get angry when I fault on a medium or easy track :p

Gen X

When creating a track, is it possible to have a finish line that only registers when falling, not if you drive over it? Like say I had a hole in the ground and the finish line was a few meters down the hole, would it still trigger if I drove over that hole and past it?

I am watching videos, but it's kinda hard to take all of them in so I try to just watch the ones I need at that point.

Najaf

When creating a track, is it possible to have a finish line that only registers when falling, not if you drive over it? Like say I had a hole in the ground and the finish line was a few meters down the hole, would it still trigger if I drove over that hole and past it?

I am watching videos, but it's kinda hard to take all of them in so I try to just watch the ones I need at that point.

You can toggle an 'end event' for the race and make that event enable using a trigger with the 'end event' being bail. They cover it in one of the tutorial videos. Not sure which one and I don't want to go hunt it down. It might be in the triggers tutorial.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
26 minutes and 311 faults later, Dark City is completed!
About 20 minutes and 270 of those faults were me slamming against that bloody scoreboard :mad:

The lesson learned? I became better at getting height and distance on my jumps!

Zeth

26 minutes and 311 faults later, Dark City is completed!
About 20 minutes and 270 of those faults were me slamming against that bloody scoreboard :mad:

The lesson learned? I became better at getting height and distance on my jumps!

That obstacle almost drove me crazy. I'd like to think I've kicked its ass now that I can usually pass it in 1-5 tries. I back up as far as I can get from the checkpoint and lean forward when I floor it and then just try to get a good jump that lands me on the upper portion.

Just got around to doing the extreme tournament, but I ended with around 200 faults. Very little desire to go back and improve on that one, as it will be a major pain in the ass/time investment.

Sectus

-Put the final checkpoint *after* the hole, otherwise you'll always finish before getting into the hole. You could hide it, and add a normal checkpoint where the goal would be, to make it look like it is the finish line.

-Create an Area Trigger in the hole, make sure it's big enough that the player will always hit it.

-Create an End Event and link the Area Trigger to it. And that's it!

MMaRsu

i hate this freaking editor, i spend hours upon hours in it and no time actually playing the game. i wish i didnt have to work so i could stay home and do work in the editor all day and play the game at night.

Well the weekend is for finishing levels :p

Overdoziz

Banned
Back to the subject of the editor controls: it's extra frustrating for me because I use inverted controls for shooters. So it's not really natural for me to move the cursor to the top of screen to look up. :/

That obstacle almost drove me crazy. I'd like to think I've kicked its ass now that I can usually pass it in 1-5 tries. I back up as far as I can get from the checkpoint and lean forward when I floor it and then just try to get a good jump that lands me on the upper portion..

Thanks for the tip. I feel like such a dumbass for not backing up before. Finally got enough speed to land on the higher platform and making it over that scoreboard. Finished the track in 13:08 and with 171 faults. Fuck yeah!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phew. Just spent 4 hours trying to get gold on Castle Crasher. No way is that a medium track, or maybe it's just my bogey track. The steep climb with a thin rock at the top which catches your back wheel, followed by another steep climb with a fire out at the top. Nasty.

Finally did it though. Still gigatrack and trials of limbo to get gold on all medium tracks

Top Bottom