• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion |OT| webm required for proper OT experience!

Played a lot of Trials this week and here are my thoughts. These mostly tip to the negative, but I still like the game. I'd still recommend it.

• FMX is a bad addition. It shouldn't be in the game and it seemed half thought out. Tricks don't register, it's very arbitrary, it's not good. Those challenges are a pain. And.. why have the "Time Limit bonus" award you so many points? It's like they realized FMX just didn't work and then added the arbitrary time limit bonus.
  • There are no middie-tier tracks, or, well, not enough of them. In Trials Evo, the medium tracks were still a little challenge to get gold on them. In Fusion, the handful of medium tracks are basically just as easy as the easy difficulty.
  • There is no variation Easy / Medium tracks. No challenging points, no unique experiences. In Evo, some of the easy and medium tracks had some unique elements and levels, a hill climb that was still easy to beat but a unique experience for instance. Fusion doesn't have this.
  • The Hard & Expert levels are good. Hard is not as Hard as Evo or HD, but they're still good levels.
  • The expert levels are imbalanced... At least the first two. The levels aren't that difficult until you get to like 1 key part of the level that is brutal.
  • The levels are much less memorable than Evo. I still remember 10 of those levels very well, the setting, the line, from easy to medium to hard.
  • Skill games are worse in Fusion than in Evo.
  • Those 4x4/quad levels are just ... pointless. You can literally hold down RT and hold forward for the entire level and you'll take gold. There is absolutely no challenge to any of them. I don't get the point of them.
  • There is no challenge in getting gold in the first 4 worlds. I'm okay at Trials, not great, but I golded every easy and medium level on my first play through without any effort at all. I remember in Trials Evo, getting a bronze and silver was doable but gold was a bit more of a challenge on many medium levels. Not in Fusion. Seems like Platinum is the new gold. Thankfully, Platinum is still quite a challenge even on Easy and MEdium levels.
  • So far, many of the created tracks are good. Skill games don't seem to be as varied as in evo, not sure if that's by design or what (smaller player count, new game, etc). Most of the skill games seem to be ball or aiming variants.
  • The voice overs don't work. They're not funny, they detract from the game. Had to turn them off.
  • Stuttering is annoying in some levels on X1. There's 2 levels that have a noticeable, inexplicable performance hit.
  • Fewer levels with branching paths / alternative routes.

A lot of complaints in my life. I still like the game a lot, but it doesn't live up to Evolution in any way. Evo is a better game in just about every way. Better levels, more variety of levels, better skill games, no stupid FMX tricks, more more more, and the game cost $5 less. Still gonna get all of the DLC for this as I still really like the game, but it is a step back from Evo.

Fbh

Ok I need some advice from good players.

What am I supposed to do in vertical areas? Those places that are just a big vertical "cliff" that you need to get up to?

I just don't get what I should be doing so that at the top I keep going forward and not backwards.

I mean places like this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxMJ1P59Sw
At 2:28 and 2:48 (I also have no idea how you do that "leaning forward from just being on the platform with the front wheel" thing)

Dug

Banned
RwSDm0Z.jpg

Victory!!!

M.W.

I'll never finish this game. I can't move to the next track unless I Gold the current one with Zero faults AND beat all my friends...LOL

Daigoro

Ok I need some advice from good players.

What am I supposed to do in vertical areas? Those places that are just a big vertical "cliff" that you need to get up to?

I just don't get what I should be doing so that at the top I keep going forward and not backwards.

I mean places like this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxMJ1P59Sw
At 2:28 and 2:48 (I also have no idea how you do that "leaning forward from just being on the platform with the front wheel" thing)

2:28 is all about throttle control. you have to have a light touch and not going full throttle on steep inclines like that, or you will flip backwards. lean forward, go light on the throttle, enough to keep you from sliding backwards, but not too much so you flip over backwards.

2:48 is all about balance. the bikes momentum is shifting back, but he is leaning all the way forward as his tire hits the top, counterbalancing the bikes weight. also, that's the Roach bike, so its pretty heavy and the bike looks like it really wants to fall backwards there, so that's why he is at that balance point for so long right there. I haven't done that track with that bike yet, but that guy is good, and he mentions in the comments that it was hard to do, and he's good.

these are advanced techniques that just come with practice. if you keep playing, you will learn how to do them.

Daigoro

posted by Sebbi, Redlynx dev on the official forums:

Trials team is fully committed to making the game better in long run

We have been following the launch closely, and it seems that some nasty bugs(*) weren't noticed by us in the heat of the final push to get the game released. We are sorry about that.

Antti just tweeted about the forthcoming improved tournament functionality and our long term plans about updating the game. Rest assured, the team is fully committed in making the game better in the long run. There will be free patches that will add missing features to the game (and fix the bugs found).

(*) For example missing split times when ghost is disabled, and FMX tricks affecting Trials speed running leaderboard scores

no idea how a major bug like that got through. figured it must have been intentional. crazy shit.

no idea how they are going to fix it either, but it's nice to know they're working on it. no reason fmx ever should have been allowed on regular trials tracks in the first place.

Welcome to the future
Man, machine, the fusion

indeed.

What bike you guys using on Rocky Road? I can't seem to nail a perfect with the Pit Viper, but I'm almost certain that the Viper is the only bike up to the task.

Played a lot of Trials this week and here are my thoughts. These mostly tip to the negative, but I still like the game. I'd still recommend it.
[...]
A lot of complaints in my life. I still like the game a lot, but it doesn't live up to Evolution in any way. Evo is a better game in just about every way. Better levels, more variety of levels, better skill games, no stupid FMX tricks, more more more, and the game cost $5 less. Still gonna get all of the DLC for this as I still really like the game, but it is a step back from Evo.

I have to agree. Evolution has the better content and is still my favorite Trials game. Followed by Fusion and HD. I pfrefer the physics and controls in Evo/Fusion over Trials HD which is almost unplayable now. For me at least.

Finally did the Full Throttle III achievement. The last part in Tropic Strom was driving me nuts.
http://youtu.be/376BJN_yPRo

Daigoro

Anyone on X1 feel free add me: Ok Cajun

I'm desperate for people with good times to compete with when I feel like throwing my controller at a wall from challenges (80/120 going strong).

thanks for adding me.

being ranked 47th globally (or whatever you were at yesterday morning) on XBONE, im sure you are desperate for times to compete against.

if I wasn't so rusty from not having played EVO competitively in months, id be able to help you out a bit better, but I have a lot of catching up to do. once I put in some hours, I might be able to help you out a bit, we'll see.

Novocaine

This is my first real jab at a Trials game and I'm liking it a lot so far. Looks great on PS4 and controls really well. The Uplay servers are not connecting though and that's kind of annoying.

Doing yard work and my wife starts singing "Welcome to the Future". WE can't get it out of our head.

Also this. That fucking song....

After finishing the Great Crater and unlocking rabbit bike are there any more tracks to unlock ?

And can you also level up and unlock customization items by playin track central ?

Also what is Pyrosequencing ?

Eusis

Tried the demo quickly, feel like this is a game that's more fun to watch than play. It's amazing watching someone pull this off right, while I just keep crashing.

Or I just need to git gud or something.

MMaRsu

Tried the demo quickly, feel like this is a game that's more fun to watch than play. It's amazing watching someone pull this off right, while I just keep crashing.

Or I just need to git gud or something.

You need to play with the left stick in the air and land with your backwheel

Eusis

You need to play with the left stick in the air and land with your backwheel
Yeah, I'll try that later, though it's annoying the demo doesn't save progress. Microsoft definitely made a lot of calls that shaped the industry in ways I wish it didn't and a lack of saving in demos despite using hard drives and patches is one of the most grating. Next to no one does it even off of Xbox 360.

MMaRsu

Yeah, I'll try that later, though it's annoying the demo doesn't save progress. Microsoft definitely made a lot of calls that shaped the industry in ways I wish it didn't and a lack of saving in demos despite using hard drives and patches is one of the most grating. Next to no one does it even off of Xbox 360.

What demos saved progress on 360?

How do you do the last level of world 2? I can't get good distance:(
With regards to difficulty the DLC will likely be difficult content as only fans are going to buy it.

bombshell

How do you do the last level of world 2? I can't get good distance:(
With regards to difficulty the DLC will likely be difficult content as only fans are going to buy it.

What I did was go into leaderboards and load the replay of the top person. You can see which buttons he presses and when. It gave me an idea how to do that event.

Zeth

I searched the thread fairly thoroughly but I couldn't find any instance of this being posted already. Interesting/funny video from Rev 3 : The Creepy Story Hidden in Trials Fusion Apologies if it's been posted already though.

Has anyone played Evolution on PC recently? If it's really that bad I'll avoid it but I really need some Trials while I wait for the new release.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Also what is Pyrosequencing ?

If I had to wager a guess, that is where the DLC will show up when it comes out

edit: and I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones with a season pass code that isn't fucking working. "We are working with Sony on finding a solution for PS4 Season Pass redemption as soon as possible"

fucking Ubisoft

Dany

Banned
Made I to the extreme challenged. Fuuuuuu

Which bikes do you all think work best, the overal top ranking ghosts seem to use the viper.

I searched the thread fairly thoroughly but I couldn't find any instance of this being posted already. Interesting/funny video from Rev 3 : The Creepy Story Hidden in Trials Fusion Apologies if it's been posted already though.

I haven't paid very close attention to it but I do really like how they try to sneak in a narrative based on the nature of the game. It also occurred to me that for the three crossover stages Trials Frontier is actually considered the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is anyone doing the challenges, or are they things to come back to later with better bikes?

Also, are the ghosts of friends using the same bikes as you, or is there no way to know?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Is anyone doing the challenges, or are they things to come back to later with better bikes?

Also, are the ghosts of friends using the same bikes as you, or is there no way to know?

I would come back after you get the pit viper to get challenges.

You can't tell what bike they're using unless you go to the leaderboards and watch their replay.

Top Bottom