• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion |OT| webm required for proper OT experience!

Shit this game get hard...

love it!

edit: i may need to get squid grips just for this game.

edit 2: starting to wonder if the PS4 triggers are a handicap now that i'm getting to the hard levels.

They definitely are a handicap in my opinion. Played it on both and the triggers on the Xbone make it much easier to control and actually feels tailor made for a Trials game. The impulse triggers are a nice addition but it's the amount of range on the triggers that make the difference. The PS4's trigger range is too short and feel limited compared to the Xbone.

Duxxy3

They definitely are a handicap in my opinion. Played it on both and the triggers on the Xbone make it much easier to control and actually feels tailor made for a Trials game. The impulse triggers are a nice addition but it's the amount of range on the triggers that make the difference. The PS4's trigger range is too short and feel limited compared to the Xbone.

I'd like to try out the 360/XB1 version to see what it's like on those controllers.

Up until the third or fourth hard stage I was OK, but now I really need super fine adjustments and it feels like the controller is holding me back from doing that. Just too quick to go from no throttle to too much.

Bsigg12

The second to last checkpoint on Rock of Rages is a bitch. I have 500 faulta or hit the 30 minute limit that course twice now because of that jump. I will beat all the extreme tracks once, it will just take forever.

MYeager

The second to last checkpoint on Rock of Rages is a bitch. I have 500 faulta or hit the 30 minute limit that course twice now because of that jump. I will beat all the extreme tracks once, it will just take forever.

Ditto. That was the first track that stopped me. Gonna get it, but the video of the Easter Egg version of that track? Never in a million years.

Yeah I got by one checkpoint a couple before it that took me over 1,000 tries to clear over a few games then I ran into that and I only had 4 minutes left. Not happy.

Bsigg12

Ditto. That was the first track that stopped me. Gonna get it, but the video of the Easter Egg version of that track? Never in a million years.

Yea I have gold or plat in everything up to the extreme tracks. I got through the first one and may try to get gold on it but I feel it's an achievement for me to just finish the extreme tracks. I won't be attempting leaderboard or ninja variants because I'm just not that patient/dedicated.

Yeah I got by one checkpoint a couple before it that took me over 1,000 tries to clear over a few games then I ran into that and I only had 4 minutes left. Not happy.

It was pretty frustrating getting a wheel up with not enough momentum to catch the checkpoint. I had to stop playing g because I was just getting mad. I will get it though.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Not sure about general controller support (I use a 360 controller myself), but it should support the PS3 controller with motioninjoy (emulates the PS3 controller as a 360 controller).

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Edit: I checked the Steam page for Trials Evolution and it says "Partial Controller Support" whatever that means.

good forbid this abomination of Software.
I had this on my old Laptop but I will not install this on my new machine.

That software is awful. Use this instead.

Actually I would love to just plug in a Pad and be done with it.

I guess I might just get an 360 PC Pad.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Managed to break into the top 100 on PS4, wooh! But I'd better keep improving those scores, or I'm sure I'll soon be pushed way down as more people get better and better at the game.

Actually I would love to just plug in a Pad and be done with it.

Once you've installed the XInput Wrapper and done the initial setup it is that simple. It runs as a background service, so you just plug the DS3 in (or press the PS button if you've synced it via Bluetooth) and play. You don't have to manually start or activate anything.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Managed to break into the top 100 on PS4, wooh! But I'd better keep improving those scores, or I'm sure I'll soon be pushed way down as more people get better and better at the game.

Once you've installed the XInput Wrapper and done the initial setup it is that simple. It runs as a background service, so you just plug the DS3 in (or press the PS button if you've synced it via Bluetooth) and play. You don't have to manually start or activate anything.

i also have two DS4.
I will use one of those then.
Thanks much

Daigoro

that will be a constant struggle, never ends.

how far into the extreme tracks did you have to 0 fault to get in the top 100?

congrats!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
how far into the extreme tracks did you have to 0 fault to get in the top 100?

I've only managed that on the first one so far. On the second I have a couple of faults, and then it goes up from there. Inferno IV is close to 200 (I've only beaten it a single time, haven't gone back to it yet). The Hard tracks are all 0-faulted, of course, and I'm working on getting Platinum on all of them. But yeah, I don't expect that ranking to stand for very long unless I keep working on it!

murgo

I love this game. FUCK THIS GAME!!! I've been trying to get the last full throttle challenge done for hours. I can't do it. Fuck.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I love this game. FUCK THIS GAME!!! I've been trying to get the last full throttle challenge done for hours. I can't do it. Fuck.

This describes Trials perfectly for me.

Every time I stop playing, I'm in the mood of "I'm never playing this fucking game again". An hour later I'm playing again. It's addictive, stressful, rewarding, and infuriating all at the same time.

w00zey

Can someone explain to me how to properly bunny hop over something on an incline. I can't seem to do it. I saw the how to video when I played but I wasn't really paying attention.

stack9902

Banned

yeah ditto it is easier IMO to control on the one... but yeah this game gets insanely hard, I never finished the second one on the 360 I gotta go back and beat the hell out of that game.. fun times!

Can someone explain to me how to properly bunny hop over something on an incline. I can't seem to do it. I saw the how to video when I played but I wasn't really paying attention.

Lean forward into the incline and then lean back and then forward and hold until you can get over the outcropping or bump. The timing of the bunny hop and level of momentum when attacking the surface of the incline matters, so make sure your rear drive tire is solidly contacting the incline surface and not bouncing when you accelerate. It's very fast and takes a lot of patience and practice. It also takes a calm mind when you're attempting it so that you don't mess up the followup with trying to make it stick once you've gotten the front tire over the bump.

The best and more immediate way to improve your control and technique is to go to a time on the track which allows you to download its replay trace data so that you can watch the controller polling to see what and how much was pressed and when.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lean forward into the incline and then lean back and then forward and hold until you can get over the outcropping or bump. The timing of the bunny hop and level of momentum when attacking the surface of the incline matters, so make sure your rear drive tire is solidly contacting the incline surface and not bouncing when you accelerate. It's very fast and takes a lot of patience and practice. It also takes a calm mind when you're attempting it so that you don't mess up the followup with trying to make it stick once you've gotten the front tire over the bump.

Then you've often gotta lean back again to actually stick the back wheel on top of what you're trying to climb. But yeah, it's a pretty difficult technique that takes a lot of practice. You've gotta really get to know the bike and what it can do, on the ground and in the air. Just knowing how it's supposed to work in theory isn't enough, you have to "feel" it. And that only comes with playing a lot.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

I'm at work, so this might not come out entirely correct without testing it.

Steeper Incline: Start going up the incline while leaning forward (but not holding forward) until your bike leans back a bit. Hammer the gas and press forward as your front tire is approaching the lip of your obstacle. It's hard to explain... Watching replays really helped me when I was first learning.

InertiaXr

If I 'preorder' this on Steam right now, is the closed beta thing still going until its officially unlocked for real tomorrow?

Nevermind, just had to read a few posts up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm at work, so this might not come out entirely correct without testing it.

Steeper Incline: Start going up the incline while leaning forward (but not holding forward) until your bike leans back a bit. Hammer the gas and press forward as your front tire is approaching the lip of your obstacle. It's hard to explain... Watching replays really helped me when I was first learning.

That works if the obstacle isn't very large. If it is, you usually need to do a proper bunny hop to get more height.

wouwie

I am a Trials newbie. I'm currently at 72% in the career mode and progress is becoming really slow. I definately do not have the same amount of control over my bike as i've seen players do in some videos and i'm puzzled as how to achieve some of the objectives. I hope i'll keep improving with practise but i have a feeling i'm not at the moment. It's as if i'm not grasping the finer more delicate ways of controlling the bike.

Having said that, the game is fantastic and fun. It's also hard and frustrating and it makes me do all kind of silly movements with my controller and my body as if it will help me jump faster/further/higher... :)

Samus4145

Feel free to add me on PS4 if you want a semi-decent player to race against. Hit the hard tracks over the weekend and they are kicking my ass.

PS4 - Samus4145

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Covert Ops is so annoying with all of those moving platforms and bombs everywhere. Really don't enjoy it much, and it's the only Hard track I have yet to get Platinum on. I can 0-fault it without too much trouble, but getting a nice and clean run on it is proving quite difficult. Oh well, I'll just keep trying...

EDIT: Finally did it. That's all Hard tracks Platinum'd then. Now to do it on the Extreme tracks, lol... I'm not even close to good enough to 0-fault those yet, except the first one. That one feels more like a Hard+ to me. The second Extreme track is where shit gets really difficult.

Hixx

Done every extreme track bar Inferno 4 now.

Can't even do the first jump on Inferno 4
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
My left thumb is burning!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cut my number of faults on Inferno IV down by more than half (from almost 200 to 82). Most of that track feels pretty doable now, from having felt basically impossible a few days ago. That's what's so great about Trials; you can really feel yourself getting more and more skilled at it, and more and more comfortable with difficult obstacles. Suddenly you're just breezing through stuff that not long ago gave you some serious trouble. That last jump on Inferno IV though... It basically feels like sheer luck when I finally manage to get across.

Done every extreme track bar Inferno 4 now.

Can't even do the first jump on Inferno 4
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
My left thumb is burning!

That was me just a few days ago. Now I don't have much trouble with that jump. You'll get there too, that's just how this game works.

Ubi lost a sale on this one. Would've bought day one on PC if it had released simultaneously with consoles. Got so excited i went back and played Evolution for the last week. Between that and hearing quite a few "meh" impressions I've decided to hold off for now. Maybe pick it up when all dlc is bundled later on.

I don't know about things being quite so meh, but Fusion does feel like an expansion DLC rather than the full sequel that vanilla Evolution did. Probably the fact that Evo was an exclusive sequel to an exclusive version of a game that it was more targeted toward veteran players who demand more meat on a second helping while Fusion is a broader release for at least one platform it has never been on before.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ubi lost a sale on this one. Would've bought day one on PC if it had released simultaneously with consoles. Got so excited i went back and played Evolution for the last week. Between that and hearing quite a few "meh" impressions I've decided to hold off for now. Maybe pick it up when all dlc is bundled later on.

You're gonna skip the game because of a one-week delay? Your loss, it's a great game (even if not quite as excellent as Evolution was when it was released), and very well worth the small investment.

You're gonna skip the game because of a one-week delay? Your loss, it's a great game (even if not quite as excellent as Evolution was when it was released), and very well worth the small investment.

Sorry i didn't mean i'm skipping it because of the one week delay. I imagine Ubi had a good reason. I'm skipping it because i got my fill of Trials from playing Evolution nonstop for a week since the console release and hearing average things about it. So that week difference just happened to cause me to skip it.

If they would've released it at the same time as the console versions, i would have already bought it and none of that would've mattered.

I've only played the beta so far (really excited for tomorrow) but the only thing about it that is meh to me is FMX. I don't like FMX. Everything else I was happy with and the other tracks I've watched on Twitch look fun. Trials HD/Evo are my favorite games of last gen too.

sneaky77

I've only played the beta so far (really excited for tomorrow) but the only thing about it that is meh to me is FMX. I don't like FMX. Everything else I was happy with and the other tracks I've watched on Twitch look fun. Trials HD/Evo are my favorite games of last gen too.

yep, the game is more trials I am happy with it

Top Bottom