• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

What a corndog terrible episode. Good to know that everything last season was a happy accident. This was really the episode that exposed the emperor having no clothes.

What the fuck did I just watch

The "you're pure gold" line made me realize that the writing IS that fucking bad. Then later Vince V tried acting and I realized this show has pretty shitty acting at some times (Vince Vaughn) and awful writing/dialogue across the board.

Was it me or was Colin Farrell wearing a ton of eyeliner in the prison conversation scene? Like an extremely noticeable amount.

Vince Vaughn/the rest of the characters talk so much about themselves in this show that he managed to do it while talking to a boy who just lost his father. FUCK!

I thought there was music from something else playing under the episode when shit started going down at the house on the hill/orgy scene.

Walking up to the window, hearing the conversation, breaking in and stealing all the papers... that shit was like a video game circa 2004. This show sucks. I'm going to watch it till its over but holy cow, 2 more episodes to go

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*shrug* I liked it. I knew there was something weird about the commune where Ani grew up. And we finally got some payoff on these weird parties.

Between Episode 5 and 6, the show is definitely on an upward trend. Only problem is it's only 8 episodes. A bit late in the game to turn things around.

Only thing I didn't like was Paul and Velcoro getting to the window at the exact moment those guys were talking about their devilish scheme.

They went way off the reservation on that one though. Stole their evidence, assaulted those guards who were technically just doing their job on private property, and Ani probably killed a guy. Although they'll probably use the documents to just point them in the right direction. And Ani slicing and dicing was self-defense. But still wild how they leave so much destruction when they team up.

Maybe I'm alone, but I thought Frank's talk with Stan's son was probably the best moment that character has had in the entire series so far. Yeah it was cheesy as fuck, but it was supposed to contrast with Velcoro pouring his soul out and only getting a "K."

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Are the ratings high for this season? I mean is it bad enough the network tries to do another True Detective or does it look like this will this be it for the series?

*shrug* I liked it. I knew there was something weird about the commune where Ani grew up. And we finally got some payoff on these weird parties.

Between Episode 5 and 6, the show is definitely on an upward trend. Only problem is it's only 8 episodes. A bit late in the game to turn things around.

Only thing I didn't like was Paul and Velcoro getting to the window at the exact moment those guys were talking about their devilish scheme.

They went way off the reservation on that one though. Stole their evidence, assaulted those guards who were technically just doing their job on private property, and Ani probably killed a guy. Although they'll probably use the documents to just point them in the right direction. And Ani slicing and dicing was self-defense. But still wild how they leave so much destruction when they team up.

Maybe I'm alone, but I thought Frank's talk with Stan's son was probably the best moment that character has had in the entire series so far. Yeah it was cheesy as fuck, but it was supposed to contrast with Velcoro pouring his soul out and only getting a "K."

Yeah, I thought it was really good.

Loved how their operation at the boring sex party went totally FUBAR and they still got results.

I mean.

Antigone killed a guy. Ray pulped a dude.

Sober

Mayor Austin Chessani's not-actually-his kids: Tony and Betty.

He kidnapped them from foster care.

They killed the former Mrs. Chessani because she couldn't handle it.
Gonna have to explain that to the audience straight up if that's the case. Seems way too convoluted to make sense due to the circumstances of the kids and all that. Cause that would assume he had something to do with the diamond robbery and their parents being executed. Seems a bit farfetched.

Also lol at the Lana Del Ray filter during Ani's flashbacks and the damn old Hollywood movie escape music.

*shrug* I thought the party/Ani flashback scenes were pretty intense. Although Ray and Friday Night Lights taking out the guards at the party felt like a video game.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Are the ratings high for this season? I mean is it bad enough the network tries to do another True Detective or does it look like this will this be it for the series?

No idea about the ratings, but it will be back. Brand is big now, the name alone and casting rumors kept it on people's radar constantly for the last year. TD and Game of Thrones are marketed as the big reasons for having an HBO subscription. Quality aside, with them expanding their streaming services this year, it isn't going anywhere.

Honestly, I'd imagine the ratings are bigger now than they were during season 1. I remember reading one of the first episodes in Season 2 had around the same amount of viewers as the Season 1 finale.

Gotta keep in mind that a lot of people jumped into the show either midway into Season 1 or after it had already aired.

Grizzlyjin

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the orphans from the robbery = mayor's kids. Honestly the story is so confusing sometimes I don't even know what that revelation would mean...but there is something there. They wouldn't have shown the picture if it wasn't point towards something. Plus I'm pretty sure the ages even match up.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
No idea about the ratings, but it will be back. Brand is big now, the name alone and casting rumors kept it on people's radar constantly for the last year. TD and Game of Thrones are marketed as the big reasons for having an HBO subscription. Quality aside, with them expanding their streaming services this year, it isn't going anywhere.

Honestly, I'd imagine the ratings are bigger now than they were during season 1. I remember reading one of the first episodes in Season 2 had around the same amount of viewers as the Season 1 finale.

Gotta keep in mind that a lot of people jumped into the show either midway into Season 1 or after it had already aired.

Ok that makes sense. I hope they really rethink the direction of the series for a 3rd season. The concept is sound even if the execution this season between the writing/acting has fallen off.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Ratings have fallen off a cliff since the premiere. It's now likely that this episode will dip under the viewership for the show at the same point last season (when viewership began to ramp up in anticipation of the finale). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_True_Detective_episodes#Season_1_.282014.29

You should find something better to do, like watch Twin Peaks.

Speaking of, someone let me borrow Fire Walk With Me - but that's neither here or there.

I saw a Twin Peaks burlesque thing in Downtown Vancouver a few weeks ago.

Is that close enough? Cause I feel like it was really incoherent and weird, and knowing David Lynch, it's probably close enough.

dhonk

You should find something better to do than watch TD S2, like watch Twin Peaks.

Speaking of, someone let me borrow Fire Walk With Me - but that's neither here or there.

Fire Walk with Me is criminally underrated. Honestly I think its a masterpiece.

I love how they infiltrate a mansion at night wearing, yet didn't have the foresight to use a suppressor on those guns. What did they think would happen if a shot was fired?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love how they infiltrate a mansion at night wearing, yet didn't have the foresight to use a suppressor on those guns. What did they think would happen if a shot was fired?

If they had to shoot their guns then they've already been spotted. It's not like they're going to go around murdering guys, they're cops after all.

It feels like I have been watching the episode for 2 hours, and there are still 15 minutes left. I hate this.

I hate the characters. They are all assholes with nothing interesting about them.

The plot is moving at the pace of a snail, and they are stretching out episodes to absurdity.

Everything Vince Vaughn does is seemingly inconsequential. And they keep giving him monologues. Stop that.

Also, do rich people really need to go to these lengths to get laid?

EDIT:

... These people suck at being detectives...

Afrocious

I'm going to be pissed if what's-her-name got raped as a child when living with the community. Unless pizzaman has something worth saying narratively with it, using rape as a catalyst for making a woman strong-willed is the point of no return for shit writing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I cannot believe how terrible this season is. Sooo many horribly-acted, cheesy moments during this last episode. Good lord it's bad.

Bebpo

Banned
... These people suck at being detectives...

One of my main issues this season. For a show called True Detective the detectives this season are all dumb, oblivious and barely put 2 and 2 together unless things are spelled out in front of them. Watching what's basically just a crime procedural this season, but starring bad detectives just seems like a dumb idea even in concept unless you're doing a comedy.

If they had to shoot their guns then they've already been spotted. It's not like they're going to go around murdering guys, they're cops after all.

Well only one of them is a cop. And that cop actually did kill someone. And the one non-cop probably killed someone too with how many times Velcro pistol whipped that guy in the face.

The season isn't really presenting mysteries and clues in a way that is interesting or easy to follow. Like, the girl that Frank was looking for who ended up getting killed, I thought that was the sister that Ani was looking for because Frank said "I'm looking for her too." And they dedicate a few minutes to him looking for her and then speaking to her and then showing her death. Then I realize that the sister is a totally different person and she's alive in the sex party.

I hate the characters. They are all assholes with nothing interesting about them.

I find the least assholish character to be Frank, but I don't know if that's cause how he's written or because Vince Vaughn isn't very intimidating.

And while Colin Ferrel is the most interesting to watch, Velcoro is probably the biggest asshole of the three cops. Like, have you not considered the fact that the corrupt cabal of politicians tried to set you up against Frank by saying you killed the wrong rapist? He learned literally nothing about his revenge murder and aims to set it straight by committing what he thinks to be the "real" revenge.

What did everyone think of the score during the mansion escape scene?

Comically bad. So incredibly out of place that I can't even begin to fathom who thought it was a good idea.

Gonna have to explain that to the audience straight up if that's the case. Seems way too convoluted to make sense due to the circumstances of the kids and all that. Cause that would assume he had something to do with the diamond robbery and their parents being executed. Seems a bit farfetched.

Also lol at the Lana Del Ray filter during Ani's flashbacks and the damn old Hollywood movie escape music.

Considering this show is sub video game tier writing wise and super obvious with every plot point and twist there is a 100% chance that those kids are not Chessani's and his family was somehow involved in the murder of their parents.

rachel mcadams hallucination was all

theres-bob.jpg

and in the middle of one eyed jacks

david lynch errywhere

does molly make you hallucinate? and can you throw up a spray of it?

i've never hallucinated off of it. certainly not about bootleg bob or anything.

i loved the music in the orgy scene though actually, it was a lot like an old hitchcock movie for sure. also i loved vince vaughn's 'staring contest' line though that shit is unearned since pizzolato been throwing those scenes in every episode so why make fun of it now.

You should find something better to do than watch TD S2, like watch Twin Peaks.

Season 2 of Twin Peaks is even worse than season 2 of True Detective. Season 2 of Twin Peaks is the worst shark jump I've ever seen, and is one of the worst seasons of television ever made. (Except for the last episode.)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Season 2 of Twin Peaks is even worse than season 2 of True Detective. Season 2 of Twin Peaks is the worst shark jump I've ever seen, and is one of the worst seasons of television ever made. (Except for the last episode.)
First seven or eight episodes of S2 are similar in quality to season 1.

udiie

woooo there was like 2 minutes of screen time for franks wife
that was a great episode

ughhhh why does this always happen to me first post blegh

gimmmick

So almost every other chick in this episode get's naked except for rachel Mcadams :|

But damn, did she look fine or what?

I've watched every episode and I still don't really understand what the overall plot is about. I understand that character relationships and their motives but I feel like I'm really missing what this seasons about. Compared to season one it seemed like you knew the overall plot, but each episode was used to dig deeper into the details of the plot; whereas I feel like each episode of season 2 is used to dig deeper into the characters yet we still are left wondering what the main plot is about. like I said maybe I'm just missing something.

Palpable

I think the problem with this season is that season 1, what with no one having any expectations for it, set the bar so high that there was no way season 2 could ever measure up.

squicken

I agree that Frain is probably the cop, but I don't think he shot Velcoro. Pretty sure that person was the waitress with the scar on her face. Simply b/c she is the only person who seems to like Ray. Why would anyone else not just kill him?

Top Bottom