• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Frank needs to stop walking into these dodgy business meetings. He's One bad move away from getting his whole crew wiped. And then Blake runs in and takes his business and wife. It comes to something when the most threatening factions in this show have been the Mexican gangs.

there is no way this season can be redeemed, the quality cannot improve dramatically. I will accept this is a very mediocre season compared to season 1. If it wasnt for season 1 this would have still been a sub par HBO show.

Lets home Pizzaman is either fired for not even making the show OK or the previous show person is brought back because the this season is and will lack severe quality.

I can understand a show going from 10/10 to say 7/10, that is expected. but this is 4/10

true%20D%20season%202%20bingo%20two-thumb-550x825-131319.png

(via Pajiba)

Could probably replace "Fake Death Cliffhanger" with "Stan" at this point.

Imm0rt4l

haven't kept up with this thread, but we're all pretty much 99% sure that Blake is the father of Velcoro's kid right?
I'm thinking so. How that would account for the DNA match I'm not sure.

It's funny though since I recall pizzaman doesn't like twists and finds it disrespectful to the viewer or some shit. I feel like this show is supposed to be building to some sort of grand finale giving the poor pacing. It won't salvage the season even if it's good though.

labx

Banned
Ok, there is no way, that this show is going to have another season, right? I mean, wtf. Things go south pretty bad with pizzaman. I would have preferred only season 1 like a one time series. But shit, this season its bananas.

Goodbye TRUE DETECTIVE, fuck this show right now. I'm more pissed that the people that watch Game Of Thrones and watched the red wedding episode.

I hope the madness end and there will be no season 3 at this point, its just stupid at this point.

Ways to redeem this season:

1. Its a conversation between Marty and Rust.
2. Its a dream from Rust.
3. Pizzman is the crow guy and shoot him to pulp the Velcoro, Frank, Ani and Paul.
4. Pizzman at the end of ep 8 come out from somewhere and start singing trololololo and say "I Welcome Judgement"

Squalor

They already signed the contract for the third season.

He should request to have 2016 off so that he can polish his scripts, then deliver an improved show in 2017.

cbox

Is it bad that I don't know who the hell Stan is? I don't even remember his face let alone what he did to the story...

Deku Tree

As far as I remember reading, in spite of the shows obvious faults, Season 2 is actually having higher ratings than Season 1 right? So why would they cancel it? Just get better writing and better directing for Season 3.

labx

Banned

He should request to have 2016 off so that he can polish his scripts, then deliver an improved show in 2017.

And Fukunaga on board again... we all now know that he was the real mastermind behind pizzaman and his ego.

Stoze

Yeah I said this before, but it sounded like he had the first one cooked up in his head for quite sometime, and then was gimped by doing this one in less than a year. Either take some more time off, or hire an adept writing staff. Unfortunately I don't see either happening. Also they need to get more courageous with the cinematography. The show looks consistently good, but nothing going above and beyond imo. That mansion scene had way more potential than what we got.

I went back and watched "Who Goes There" from S1 today...I know people get tired of the previous season's comparison, but god damn the first season is on a higher plane of existence compared to this shit. It's unbelievable at the gap in quality.

I'm actually glad I stuck around though because the last couple episodes of this were pretty entertaining, and I am actually curious to see who Bird mask guy is and his motivation.

Applebite

I really want to like this season, and though I don't think it's utterly terrible, it's just.. Meh. I thought the whole mansion orgy sequence was pretty well done, the muffled sounds and editing made it pretty tense. I do agree that the escape music was a little distracting, but I kinda liked it.

But anyway, this is just me trying really hard to like this season. As much as it has its moments, even Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams in very very tight jeans cannot save it from mediocrity. Really hope Pizzalatté sees the criticism and maybe scales things back and maybe brings in another writer to keep things together.

Jarnet87

As far as I remember reading, in spite of the shows obvious faults, Season 2 is actually having higher ratings than Season 1 right? So why would they cancel it? Just get better writing and better directing for Season 3.

yeah the ratings have been better for season 2, but the ratings were going down every week up until episode 5.

All four leads die in the next episode, finale is home movies of Stan throughout his life followed by the funeral

I thought the Stan family visit worked well, contrast between Valecero and his son and Frank(who wants a child) and Stan's son was great. Doesn't seem like Frank has many crew so it makes sense that the loss would be a great one even though we didn't know him as a character. Also furthers the fact(along with his reaction to the Mexican lady's death) that Frank is a decent human being which will probably get him killed.

Applebite

There's no way this is getting cancelled. Now if season 3 takes a massive hit in views due to the criticism this season has gotten (which I doubt), they might be veering into more problematic territory.

TDGRAPH-thumb-550x473-132870.png

Source.

EDIT: Guess it's not the greatest source, but can't find anywhere else that aggregates the ratings vs last season. Pretty sure that info's solid.

TTG

Worst episode of the season and I've been relatively(to this thread anyway) favorable to the show. I still don't know who Stan is, but it's nice to know he got more screen time than the mayor and his whole gang this week. Is this like the 4th episode where everything starts really slow leading up to a final scene? "8 hour movie" aspirations don't fit with episodes that are this formulaic.

Oh, and the final scene was a mess. What was the point of Annie going in at all if the plan was to break in and investigate some shit? Why is biker cop so excited he's got paper with signatures on them, is this a breakthrough of some sort? I guess no one thought to investigate the company Caspere had clear, known financial ties to until they went on a Hitman style mission.

Stoze

Oh, and the final scene was a mess. What was the point of Annie going in at all if the plan was to break in and investigate some shit? Why is biker cop so excited he's got paper with signatures on them, is this a breakthrough of some sort? I guess no one thought to investigate the company Caspere had clear, known financial ties to until they went on a Hitman style mission.

Visspaghetti went in to get the missing girl out I thought, which she did.

I guess it's significant for him, not really anything for the viewer though considering we see all the boring shit that goes down between Frank and the other Vinci crime dudes.

Az

Anywhere I can read a nice breakdown of what the hell is going on this season. I've watched all episodes, but feels like I've only seen trailers.

Squalor

While I'm very critical of the writing, you're just unobservant or being obstinate if you can't figure any of this out.

Antigone went in to see who was there, to see what the parties were like. That's very important information for the case. She couldn't waltz in there regularly. It's not as though they have warrants.

Paul and Ray would have had no way to do that. They weren't even really there to gather intel. They were there for backup. They, coincidentally, just happened to stumble upon Osip and Jacob, so Paul took the opportunity to take the contracts, which, for some reason, he was surprised to find had signatures on them. No shit, Paul, they're contracts. But the significance was whose names were on the contracts, a lot of high-up people, of course.
Anywhere I can read a nice breakdown of what the hell is going on this season. I've watched all episodes, but feels like I've only seen trailers.
I think Buzzfeed is doing a week-to-week update about the characters and their significance. Alternatively, you could just read AV Club reviews or something.

Why is biker cop so excited he's got paper with signatures on them, is this a breakthrough of some sort? .

He says only "There's signatures all over it" but he meant it as like there are BIG signatures all over it, upper echelon politicians, powerful and influential men doing illegal backroom deals.

TTG

Visspaghetti went in to get the missing girl out I thought, which she did.

I guess it's significant for him, not really anything for the viewer though considering we see all the boring shit that goes down between Frank and the other Vinci crime dudes.

She didn't know the girl was there until she saw her and they knew Caspere had ties to that company through cars and financial records. They went as far as driving around to look at properties they were acquiring. But, the revelatory connection are names on paper at the type of party Caspere attended way back some time ago with the son of the mayor, who is not present.

The orgy was onscreen because they needed some thrust in an otherwise boring episode and Annie was attending so we could get a look into what her childhood was like. Nothing to do with internal logic of the show which, needless to say, is really cheap.

Deku Tree

TDGRAPH-thumb-550x473-132870.png

Source.

EDIT: Guess it's not the greatest source, but can't find anywhere else that aggregates the ratings vs last season. Pretty sure that info's solid.

I wonder if the s1 data on that chart is also live+day 1? Or is that just for s2? A lot of people myself included watch on demand or off DVR later in the week when we have more free time. Anyway I hope the ratings for ep6 went up because it really deserved it.

Crisco

Banned
High production values can only take you so far, the biggest problem with this season is that 90% of the scenes are just plain boring to watch. No tension, no humor, and any intrigue in the plot is overshadowed by just how goddamn convoluted it is. They should have at least killed off one of the main characters by now so the action sequences have some suspense. Everyone we're supposed to care about has obvious plot armor.

Fjordson

I wonder if the s1 data on that chart is also live+day 1? Or is that just for s2? A lot of people myself included watch on demand or off DVR later in the week when we have more free time. Anyway I hope the ratings for ep6 went up because it really deserved it.
S2 has been higher every episode so far, though S1's numbers rose for each of the last 3 episodes, so will be interesting to see what the numbers are for episode 6.

Stoze

Anyway, after all that hype about an orgy scene, hype dating back to last year, that party was whack as fuck.

I mean it might've been really good, we just couldn't see it though since it was blurry from the cliche vaseline vision drug effect

TTG

He says only "There's signatures all over it" but he meant it as like there are BIG signatures all over it, upper echelon politicians, powerful and influential men doing illegal backroom deals.

Man, could that investigation use someone who knows how to track a paper trail. LIke, the kind where you do a police investigation, not a commando operation complete with Splinter Cell moves on the guards:

Lester+Freamon.jpg

br3wnor

Ratings won't matter for this season, as long as they can get strong leads for next season it'll keep going. Now, if season 3 the ratings continue to slide we might see a change but season 1 was such a success that the goodwil extends a while

HBO also doesn't really have anything else drama wise right now to fill the void.

Just because they both have red hair? Edit: and because Velcro got the name from Vaughn? But what about the DNA match?

Pretty sure the DNA match thing is a setup in an attempt to pit Velcro against Frank and it almost worked in blowing both of them away. Too convenient that they happened to get the guy who did it only a month ago.

Sanjuro

The current lineup might be one of the weakest HBO has had for some time. Still, it's kind of nuts that Ballers is the show that found some sort of footing eventually.

Last night's episode of True Detective had some compelling scenes. Like the entire season, none of them are linked to anything substantial immediately rendering them useless.

Top Bottom