• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

12 million viewers is crazy, there's almost no discussion on twitter (which I know is not the best indicator, but still), whereas season 1 trended constantly.

Oh FUCK

Curb might be coming back?!

12 million viewers is crazy, there's almost no discussion on twitter (which I know is not the best indicator, but still), whereas season 1 trended constantly.

Well, Pizzolatto took out the originally planned occult elements. Which is fine, but he did it in favor of a bigger focus on characters and, well...yeah.

I7N2gZB.jpg

Fantastic.

I'm getting more and more mad that they're just wasting the potential of Birdman.

from TCA 15 just now

IPWTfD7.png

tXdA1xK.png

zbt5QUh.png

9XiS8Dh.png

Oooooooookay

Grinchy

Banned
Almost torture? C'mon man, hyperbole much?

Some of the best scenes and episodes in the show come from season three. The final three episodes are an incredible run. Didn't even mention the performances, Gerald McRaney was a force.

Ok, I'd agree that everything with McRaney's character was compelling. That was one of the only threads I enjoyed from the season's plot. The theater group that moved in was insufferable, though. It made the episodes so hard to get through. I haven't watched the season in a while now, but I think there some other plot threads I hated going on, as well. It just felt like the show was purposely dragging everything out.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I'd agree that everything with McRaney's character was compelling. That was one of the only threads I enjoyed from the season's plot. The theater group that moved in was insufferable, though. It made the episodes so hard to get through. I haven't watched the season in a while now, but I think there some other plot threads I hated going on, as well. It just felt like the show was purposely dragging everything out.

Last post about Deadwood here, but I agree on the theatre storyline. Jack was a great character though, his interactions with Swearengen and basically everyone else were really fun.

My guess is the tall white cop is Frank's guy that he had velcoro spy on, and was at the orgy party.

Tall, thin, white, cop... undercover :p

Just kidding, it's Rust.

Squalor

I suppose it's odd that he doesn't necessarily have to deliver a third season considering he signed a two-year deal last year.

I'd bet there's some sort of non-compete clause in the contract that states he can't do any other kind of show for another network for the second year (and maybe more) if he doesn't do the third season.

Squalor

Can HBO do a third season without Pizzaman?
If he left, yes, they probably could. Creators and show runners depart series that continue all the time.

If they "fired" him, I doubt it.

At the same time, HBO would have no reason to do that. Why touch a tainted project like that?

There will always be shows for HBO.

Best part of this show so far has been the Velcoro "death" and dream sequence. It had a really cool Twin Peaks vibe to it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Still hope the last two episodes end up being decent and HBO gets their shit together for next season.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pizzaman dropped the ball with this season but I would never want a season 3 without him writing it.

Just make a new show at that point.

Stoze

Pizzaman dropped the ball with this season but I would never want a season 3 without him writing it.

Just make a new show at that point.

Eh I kinda disagree with that. I would much rather have a more competent writer or writer(s) take on another season who understands what made Season 1 so good (outside of the fact it had one really good director for all the episodes). If they keep the detective and broken character aspect with a heavier focus on mood and setting, then I don't see a reason for making a new show regardless of who's doing the writing or directing.

Best part of this show so far has been the Velcoro "death" and dream sequence. It had a really cool Twin Peaks vibe to it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Still hope the last two episodes end up being decent and HBO gets their shit together for next season.

Yeah! This made it seem like the show was going to go in some weird and cool places.

Maybe it still will?

Who knows.

Gorillaz

Just watched the whole series in a week. Cant believe I missed out this whole time
Yeah! This made it seem like the show was going to go in some weird and cool places.

Maybe it still will?

Who knows.
Part of me felt the connecting point of each season would be a weird horror or David lynch like twist to each case. Thought that's what they were leading up to in terms of the private parties thing but it doesn't look like it will. Then again 2 more episodes.

I think nik wanted to really spread out a bit with season in terms of characters. I see what he was trying to do but I think he needs either more revisions script wise or someone that knows how to balance all of it. Some of the character exposition fat needs to be cut tbh. Other then the clunky ass dialogue I think time will be kind with this season. Felt like it was meant for binge watch

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, I actually have to admit I liked that too. I feel like interest in this season was at its peak right there. Some people thought Velcoro got killed, open up with that dream sequence... It was going in the right direction.

I don't want to read this thread because I'm sure there's a lot of spoilers. Loved season 1 but haven't watched season 2 at all. Now that it's had some time to bake, is it worth watching? I know it doesn't live up to the first season, or so I hear anyway, but would you say it's a pass, or that it's worth watching?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to read this thread because I'm sure there's a lot of spoilers. Loved season 1 but haven't watched season 2 at all. Now that it's had some time to bake, is it worth watching? I know it doesn't live up to the first season, or so I hear anyway, but would you say it's a pass, or that it's worth watching?

If this was the first season of a brand new show, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

jett

D-Member

Fuck no. This "season" is actually one of the worst shows HBO has ever produced. That's not even hyperbole.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was actually a fairly strong episode. The mansion scene was top-notch.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finally caught up on this season. Two episodes left and I have to say that it suffers from being the middle child. They're experimenting with the formula. Really sad about Ray's mustach dying in the shootout. Had me in tears. Had to pause. The writing overall is strong in the sense that it is pulp. It's pulp that knows that it is pulp. In my opinion the best kind of pulp. Like Raymond Chandler or Stephen King. It's not strong writing but it adapts to the subject matter.

I like it but it's nowhere near the top-notch quality of the first season. Really looking forward to season three.

Aurongel

The first season had artistic aspirations and actually used things like cinematography, set design, mood, etc to tell a story. The world of Season 2 is smaller in scope and the characters are spread thin while simultaneously aspiring to tell a larger scale story. It's just poorly thought out from almost any angle you can approach it from.

It's a thin and narrow reflection of the first season and honestly, kind of deserves to be cancelled at this point. The talent that was capable of extracting actual value from Pizolato's prose have long since gone.

I'm finishing the next two episodes solely because HBO already has my months HBO NOW money. After that, I'm gone.

Dysun

Taken on its own, it's watchable. As a follow up to the original it's a mess

As a secondary season to the first season, it's a huge disappointment as everybody tries their hardest to be Rust and spout what they consider to be high quality dialogue.

As a stand alone it isn't anything special. I want to make clear though that very few folks would probably say it's not even worth watching. I still think it's watchable.

Gorillaz

In terms of a straight up follow up yea its disappointing in terms of focus. Im not willing to drop the entire series. Lol that's a little over the top, ill give it another shot for season 3.

this_guy

I stopped watching midway through the 4th episode, but I still check this thread for reactions. I couldn't follow the plot. No it's not a complicated plot that makes it difficult, it's just incredibly boring at times. Plus any scene that's just Vince Vaughn and his wife talking (which happens way too often) is like watching people read lines to each other.

I stopped watching midway through the 4th episode, but I still check this thread for reactions. I couldn't follow the plot. No it's not a complicated plot that makes it difficult, it's just incredibly boring at times. Plus any scene that's just Vince Vaughn and his wife talking (which happens way too often) is like watching people read lines to each other.

Yup. It's like blue balls in your heart.

bomma_man

Finally caught up on this season. Two episodes left and I have to say that it suffers from being the middle child. They're experimenting with the formula. Really sad about Ray's mustach dying in the shootout. Had me in tears. Had to pause. The writing overall is strong in the sense that it is pulp. It's pulp that knows that it is pulp. In my opinion the best kind of pulp. Like Raymond Chandler or Stephen King. It's not strong writing but it adapts to the subject matter.

I like it but it's nowhere near the top-notch quality of the first season. Really looking forward to season three.

Don't compare this crap to chandler

neoism

lol or course but still just finished the last episode... this show is close to being good but its just falls hard when it trys... Vince is soo fucking annoying in this... I knew when I heard he was in it I was like...nooooo every scene he trys sooo hard to be hard and seriously but its just terrible...
also I thought it was funny when they changed the music when they were sneaking around.... with only 2 eps left im glad not much they do no matter the out come will save this...
also who the fuck is stan I mean GODDAMN soo much wasted time on a guy Vince's character liked and I dont remember him at all.
Rachel looked beautiful... this ep.. wonder who the guy was or was she just tripping..hard.

I'm enjoying the season enough, but goddamn I wish Justin Lin directed the whole thing. Those first 2 episodes were such a tease quality-wise. Crossing my fingers he's the one doing the finale.

Also I really like the score to the show. That music at the sex party and the theme they used when Velcoro was tailing that creepy therapist in the ep before last were great.

Top Bottom