• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

neoism

I don't understand why Pizzaman didn't simplify the dialogue. The dialogue in S1 was very naturalistic.

It's very stagey and speechy in S2.

And the fact that they have utterly just wasted Birdman.

I swear man the only reason s1 was good was because he worked on s1 for years and years.... he shit out the D for this season is less than a year Id say.... but yeah the Dialogue in s1 was just whhy better and even Rust talked like someone like him would.....the delivery in s1 was just whhy better also..

Nif

I'm enjoying it. I just wish there was more chemistry between the characters. It feels like watching 4 different series most of the time.

Dr Prob

Banned
I just wish there was more chemistry between the characters. It feels like watching 4 different series most of the time.

I think that's fair. This season is just all over the place and it often seems that character stuff is happening simply because it must, as opposed to it being earned. S1 (certainly helped by being anchored by Fukunaga's work on the whole, but that's another discussion) made sense in that area. The two leads bring one another in from the outskirts and arrive somewhere.

Hopefully this gets somewhere too -- better if it ends well as opposed to bad, for everyone -- but so far it just feels like a bunch of disparate stuff going on.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Weird I'm finding this season more interesting than s1.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its cool, I like the dynamic.. Three misfit detectives and a sympathetic gangster. idk, it's not any more dopey than season1.

TVexperto

I loved season one because of the two lead actors but I actually love this season because of the actors and the intriguing complex storylines.

highrider

Banned
I've continued to watch this for Colin Farrell's performance. It's really a tired trope with the burnout cop on the edge, but he breathes new life in to it I think. The other characters are a bore for the most part. Kitsch, Vaughn and McAdams are trying too hard . All gravitas with no humanity to draw you in. Farrell only seems to understand the duality of these type of characters is what makes them fun to watch.

lol or course but still just finished the last episode... this show is close to being good but its just falls hard when it trys... Vince is soo fucking annoying in this... I knew when I heard he was in it I was like...nooooo every scene he trys sooo hard to be hard and seriously but its just terrible...
also I thought it was funny when they changed the music when they were sneaking around.... with only 2 eps left im glad not much they do no matter the out come will save this...
also who the fuck is stan I mean GODDAMN soo much wasted time on a guy Vince's character liked and I dont remember him at all.
Rachel looked beautiful... this ep.. wonder who the guy was or was she just tripping..hard.

I assumed that was her "first".

RS4-

At this pace, it just doesn't feel like they can wrap things up in two eps. Now things will just magically work out for them (or time skip).

br3wnor

Really intrigued why people who hate the show are still watching it. When a show loses my interest I don't waste my time finishing it, seems pointless

Stoze

Really intrigued why people who hate the show are still watching it. When a show loses my interest I don't waste my time finishing it, seems pointless

Speaking for myself (and I wouldn't say I hate it), because it's only 8 episodes long and you get the entire story in that 8 hours, it's not like other shows. Might as well see how it concludes at this point even if I'm not fond of the previous episodes.

A lot of us just enjoy being a part of the zeitgeist and having something to talk about both online and with friends. Same reason why I put up with Game of Thrones last season.

RS4-

A lot of us just enjoy being a part of the zeitgeist and having something to talk about both online and with friends. Same reason why I put up with Game of Thrones last season.

Pretty much how I feel about it too, both this and Thrones. And other trash like Strain.

I'm looking forward to tonight <3

Hope Nails is back to let another deep cut loose. The great white line is still the highlight of the entire series.

big ander

[EDIT: also to the "why hate-watch" question&#8212;for one it's like people have said, there's not much TV right now and this is only 8 episodes and it's so much a part of the zeitgeist that it's fun to discuss no matter what. But I'd also add that the idea of hate-watching is kinda flawed. most who you'd think are "hate-watching" are actually watching because they enjoyed the previous season at least in part and would theoretically be interested in something this season should be offering. it's not spiteful viewing, it's hyper-critical but from a place of genuine interest.]
How has Strain been this year?

Every episode this season has been an even more exaggerated version of the bad/good collision of last year&#8212;there is a lot of shitty acting and garbage writing, there're also some bonkers ideas and crazy overheated visuals and balls-out gore. it's a fascinating multi-car pileup of a television program.

Sober

At this pace, it just doesn't feel like they can wrap things up in two eps. Now things will just magically work out for them (or time skip).
I get the feeling (as in S1) that the "True Detective"-ing will involve them solving Caspere's case and that's about it. And Frank finds some peace with his life or gets his money back. Maybe people directly connected to Caspere's murder get charged, but I highly doubt they're ever gonna untangle the entire infrastructure of corruption present. At this point, it's just set dressing and "there" to make the investigation difficult or go off track more than anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if people like the state AG doesn't even get a slap on the wrist and no one in Vinci will really get much heat except people directly involved with killing Capsere. So Vinci's mayor and police chief probably nothing by the end, no real justice, etc.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Summer. I don't think this season has been so bad that I'd have to drop it, personally. Maybe if it was 13-24 episode commitment, but I can do 8. I'll admit that if this was Fall or Spring, I'd probably have let the episodes pile up and then binged when viewing season was lighter.

True Detective still has a ways to go before it topples the true and undisputed King of Bad Summer TV... Under the Dome.

Nothing will ever replace True Blood for me in terms of an amazing show going completely off the rails while still remaining entertaining. Vampires with rpgs!

Also makes me very sad.

Gattsu25

Banned
Every episode this season has been an even more exaggerated version of the bad/good collision of last year—there is a lot of shitty acting and garbage writing, there're also some bonkers ideas and crazy overheated visuals and balls-out gore. it's a fascinating multi-car pileup of a television program.
Ha! Seems like I need to finish the first season ASAP and get on season 2

Sanjuro

Fuck people that say, "Why watch!?"

No different than a film. I like to see it through. There are very little programs I watch that I bail out on. It has to be exceptionally bad. HBO for the most part delivers what I need.

vpance

Gotta say, I'm impressed by McAdams performance as I doubted her going into this season. Watching her rom coms will never feel the same.

Gorillaz

I get the feeling (as in S1) that the "True Detective"-ing will involve them solving Caspere's case and that's about it. And Frank finds some peace with his life or gets his money back. Maybe people directly connected to Caspere's murder get charged, but I highly doubt they're ever gonna untangle the entire infrastructure of corruption present. At this point, it's just set dressing and "there" to make the investigation difficult or go off track more than anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if people like the state AG doesn't even get a slap on the wrist and no one in Vinci will really get much heat except people directly involved with killing Capsere. So Vinci's mayor and police chief probably nothing by the end, no real justice, etc.
I'm honestly expecting a "small timer" to take the fall for it. Can't see the whole house come crashing down when this season ends.

Sanjuro

He's here forever, I've made peace with it.

Hey........

You look great.

DonVwl9.gif

Gorillaz

That roll a joint line was so out of nowhere I had to laugh a bit. Said that shit straight deadpan

Collin holding the show together

Top Bottom