• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

sangreal

I can't remember a role like this before, Rachel McAdam's character. She's basically the grizzled, bitter, unlikeable pulp detective, disrespecting dames and fighting the brass, - but a woman. This is great.

While I enjoy it, the cynic in me says that they just did a gender swap due to the criticism of season 1. They could have written something more nuanced than stereotypical male tv detective, but a woman

Apt101

While I enjoy it, the cynic in me says that they just did a gender swap due to the criticism of season 1. They could have written something more nuanced than stereotypical male tv detective, but a woman

Yea, but someone has to do it first. (edit: mark my word, if this character becomes even somewhat popular there is going to be a show on AMC, HBO (edit 2: I meant NBC), USA, and even the fucking Lifetime Channel with a similar but watered-down lead role).

On another note, Vaughn is clearly meant to be menacing in certain scenes but he just isn't pulling it off. He so much comes off someone pretending to be a tough guy. It's like watching Larry David in that fake Martin Scorsese film.

Vince seems to know what's up with that explosion telling his wife to go inside immediately.

Preview-
Was that a scene with two cops in the bar?

paskowitz

My question is how can Nic Piz go from season 1 to this? Like, how does that happen? In season 1 the settings was its own character. That is desperately missing from this season. Next problem is there are no foils. I feel like the main characters have not been set up to interact and sink their teeth into each other. There is no playing off each others personalities. Instead we get a bunch of brooding.

Also, that CGI was pretty bad. We get a
Cosmos level wormhole
in season 1 and this is the best they can do VFX wise?

sangreal

eatshit.png

nice poster

RaidenZR

The vitriol for this show is kind of out of whack here. I don't understand post after post of snide commentary. The response seems even worse than Dexter, which was hands-down, a terribly written and acted show.

Apt101

I love this ending. Set up like the triumphant end of some Hollywood shootout where the buddy cops give each other high five's, but instead it hits them - first with what it means to them and their careers, then how truly horrible it all is.

sangreal

I love this ending. Set up like the triumphant end of some Hollywood shootout where the buddy cops give each other high five's, but instead it hits them - first with what it means to them and their careers, then how truly horrible it all is.

I think that all depends on where they go with it form here

BokehKing

Banned
The vitriol for this show is kind of out of whack here. I don't understand post after post of snide commentary. The response seems even worse than Dexter, which was hands-down, a terribly written and acted show.
Dexter was great up until that last season, this..... This... This.. I should have known better... To me True Detective started and ended with season 1

Lunar FC

They also watch the show as soon as possible to make sure their comments are heard by many.

Kerned

Banned
Dexter was great up until that last season, this..... This... This.. I should have known better... To me True Detective started and ended with season 1
Come on, this season isn't THAT bad. It's not as good as season one, and probably won't get there, but I still think there is room for it to go to some interesting places.

Also, Dexter was pretty shit for a lot longer than just the last season. I never even watched the last season because the one before it was such trash.

It's like season 1 is on this pedestal that can't be touched to some of these posters as well. It had its low moments as well. Actually some people considered it downright boring.

giga

They also watch the show as soon as possible to make sure their comments are heard by many.
Some of you guys are really insecure about the criticism. Why wouldn't people watch it when it airs on a Sunday night? Shit has nothing to do with who sees it.

I laugh so much during Dexter and I'm only up to season 5. Sure I enjoy it but some things are downright comical and unbelievable. I don't think it's bad and just go into it with that expectation. To me, True Detective isn't this though.

Matsuka is a boss though!

kingocfs

The story is just not doing it for me from any angle. It just feels like everything is stuck in first gear with nowhere to go.

Kitsch struggling with his sexuality, Vaughn's business deals, Farrell and his son, it's all just terribly uninteresting and it's all we've gotten for four episodes. McAdams is the only character I am gravitating towards in any way.

This must have slipped my mind - can someone explain to me where the lead with Ben Caspere's watch came from? I know Dixon and Woodrugh followed up on it with some pawn shop in this episode, which is what led them to the pimp, but I couldn't recall what exactly brought them there, and why it was the two of them who followed up on it. Basically, I know what came of it, but I don't know what the setup was.

The story is just not doing it for me from any angle. It just feels like everything is stuck in first gear with nowhere to go.

Kitsch struggling with his sexuality, Vaughn's business deals, Farrell and his son, it's all just terribly uninteresting and it's all we've gotten for four episodes. McAdams is the only character I am gravitating towards in any way.

And that's mostly because she's pretty. Great job with those new characters of yours pizza man.

Someone needs to make a GTA5 mod DLC called True Detective season 2, just non stop highway driving and massive shootouts with mexican gangs.

Actually based on how much the show is tracking GTA5 we should probably see the FIB get involved soon and the main characters decide to take up robbing banks.

TheFixer

Neo Member
This is miserable television, and I'm really hoping Pizzolatto's work as an MFA student wasn't this turgid. Half of the episode's comprised of humiliatingly and nauseously stilted dialog. Sure, the aphoristic and nonsensical fortune cookie one-liners are pretty bad, but it's really the prolix and unnatural lines like "My mother started manifesting schizophrenia" in the context of colloquial speech that illustrate what a mess the writing this season's been.

All we could hope for now is that Pizzolatto found some promising pieces of literature to plagiarize for the last four episodes of this season.

Robot Pants

This must have slipped my mind - can someone explain to me where the lead with Ben Caspere's watch came from? I know Dixon and Woodrugh followed up on it with some pawn shop in this episode, which is what led them to the pimp, but I couldn't recall what exactly brought them there, and why it was the two of them who followed up on it. Basically, I know what came of it, but I don't know what the setup was.
I'd like to know this too

Oscar

They call this the worst television they've ever watched, yet they return every Sunday to spit more vitriol.

br3wnor

Another solid episode, halfway done, will keep watching. Interested to see the fallout from the huge shootout and how the second half of the season pivots.

I also really wish the people rolling their eyes at the show would actually stop watching the show. I love a good hate watch of a movie/show every once in a while but subjecting yourself to 8 hours of it seems like a chore.

RaidenZR

Some of you guys are really insecure about the criticism. Why wouldn't people watch it when it airs on a Sunday night? Shit has nothing to do with who sees it.

Nah, not at all. It's just the internet echo-chamber and rottentomato-ization of entertainment that is getting to me here. It was like one relevant critic said some damning things and it's suddenly gospel, and then parroted endlessly to the point where it drowns out any objective opinions. It's definitely happening in this thread here and there.

There are some actual good points and criticism going on, no doubt. No one's saying this show isn't without its problems. And the series helmer doesn't do much to let it speak for itself. Granted.... But it's kind of impossible to even discuss the core story here. I'm actually hesitant to post any thoughts or discussion on the actual crime stuff happening because they are usually washed over by 10 posts about Vince Vaughn. I'm actually digging the Rachel McAdams character, and Colin Farrell's character seems like a tragic timebomb waiting to explode, but expressing that means you get naysay'ed and dismissed.

Not everything's been a homerun, and I've cringed or cocked my head at some lines, but that's the case with most shows and movies for me. And unlike what seems like a lot of this thread's avid posters, I'm not reacting through a prism of hate for the creator. I don't read EW and I could give a fuck about what he says to drum up press. I'll let the show and its end result represent him. The interviews and critical hyperbole can fade in the wind for all I care.

Arkeband

Banned
Vince's lines are all written to be poetic except they're not actually clever (in fact half of them don't make any goddamn sense) and his acting is just way too mellow. He's having the most composed internal struggle ever put to film. Was it Viggo who was eyed for that part at one point? He would have been fucking frightening.

Colin Farrell is the only reason I'm still watching this, he's easily on the same tier as Woody and McHeyHey.

That watch was missing the lettering on the bottom part of the watch face.

Via Reddit:

J9hpdlR.png

Didn't someone here suggest Woodrugh was secretly dirty? Either he's incredibly incompetent at his job or he purposefully confirmed the watch as a misdirection to close the case prematurely.

Also, getting major House vibes here: nothing happens until the last 10 minutes of each episode, compelling you to tune in next week.

giga

Nah, not at all. It's just the internet echo-chamber and rottentomato-ization of entertainment that is getting to me here. It was like one relevant critic said some damning things and it's suddenly gospel, and then parroted endlessly to the point where it drowns out any objective opinions. It's definitely happening in this thread here and there.

There are some actual good points and criticism going on, no doubt. No one's saying this show isn't without its problems. And the series helmer doesn't do much to let it speak for itself. Granted.... But it's kind of impossible to even discuss the core story here. I'm actually hesitant to post any thoughts or discussion on the actual crime stuff happening because they are usually washed over by 10 posts about Vince Vaughn. I'm actually digging the Rachel McAdams character, and Colin Farrell's character seems like a tragic timebomb waiting to explode, but expressing that means you get naysay'ed and dismissed.

Not everything's been a homerun, and I've cringed or cocked my head at some lines, but that's the case with most shows and movies for me. And unlike what seems like a lot of this thread's avid posters, I'm not reacting through a prism of hate for the creator. I don't read EW and I could give a fuck about what he says to drum up press. I'll let the show and its end result represent him. The interviews and critical hyperbole can fade in the wind for all I care.
It's hard to discuss the story when there's little to even be said about it. Several people have mentioned it -- we've barely gotten anywhere at the halfway point. And the places we have gotten are all pretty uninteresting. The word boring would dominate a word cloud of this thread. And that criticism falls directly on the writing, which again goes back to pizzaman.

Kerned

Banned
For a minute there I thought we were going to see Chekov's knife in action. The is something there with all her knife stuff, I'm wondering how that plays out.

Dicktatorship

Is it wrong that my single favorite recurring scene is Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrel sitting in that shitty bar trading mopey glances over that dark-ass singing?

The shootout was pretty good with the ending being the best part, but man I hope at least one good director shows up this season. I think it's the worst part about season 2 so far.

Top Bottom