• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

What's absolutely nutty is that any one of us could have told Comey that this was going to happen, yet he was so very instrumental in helping put Trump in power.

And yet, here we are, and he's partially the instrument of his own downfall.

f272b59755860f677e6544f6316192fe_huge-mistake-ive-made-a-ive-made-a-huge-mistake-meme_500-283.jpeg

Terrible. She tried so hard to change the conversation into Hillary's email's. Its all they know at this point. When in doubt, blame Obama and Hillary. Never take blame.

EVERYTIME a Republican brings out Hillary's emails, it should be a rule that they get a swift, hard, kick to the face.

ICO_SotC

Christie is at 20% approval in New jersey, and his *defense* in the Bridgegate scandal was that he had no control over his office and was at the mercy of corrupt underlings, and therefor couldn't be held responsible for what happened.

Sounds perfect for the job!

KingV

They were speculating on NPR earlier that Trump might select a controversial figure to direct the FBI just so they get held up in Senate confirmation, effectively leaving the FBI without a director for however long is convenient for the White House.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Trump could appoint a qualified and uncontroversial pick, but at this point I'd be kinda surprised if he did.

There is no longer such a thing. Firing Comey has made them ALL controversial.

Trouble

Banned
Christie is at 20% approval in New jersey, and his *defense* in the Bridgegate scandal was that he had no control over his office and was at the mercy of corrupt underlings, and therefor couldn't be held responsible for what happened.

Sounds perfect for the job!

I almost hope he gets nominated because his confirmation hearings would be amazing. The Republicans would proceed to confirm him anyways, though.

liquidtmd

Banned
In a perfect world of righteous retribution, Christie is given the job.

He then realizes how foolish Trump made him look, how he was treated like a little boy, and how his own reputation and career are ruined.

He uses the opportunity to do the right thing, and Trump ends up impeached. Christie reputation somewhat salvaged.

In a perfect world.

Gets job. Gets into the FBI office. Trump goes on taunting his prey. Christie stops one day. In one minute. Internally....the fight...the conflict....

tumblr_n85esaJOKx1rlheeoo4_r1_500.gif

Chococat

He then realizes how foolish Trump made him look, how he was treated like a little boy, and how his own reputation and career are ruined.

He uses the opportunity to do the right thing, and Trump ends up impeached. Christie reputation somewhat salvaged.

In a perfect world.

That would be hilarious, but not betting on it.

Alucrid

Banned

In a perfect world.

you forgot the part where he then goes and gets himself mcdonalds

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
His approval ratings are at historic lows, he can hardly get anything done, his public statements are basically ignored, association to him is costing republican's votes and he's about to (if he makes it) preside over a midterm slaughter. The problem is you define consequences and accountability so narrowly and ignore the actual problems he's making for himself and the republicans.
From the visionary director who brought you "He'll never Win" and "ACHA won't pass" comes the long awaited horror sequel, "Midterm Slaughter".

sphagnum

Banned
Christie finally gets to escape the wrath of the NJ population. Not like he's actually wanted to do his job here for a while anyway.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
There is no longer such a thing. Firing Comey has made them ALL controversial.

Maybe... but hypothetically, Trump could select a bipartisan figure with experience to lead the FBI. Someone who could confirm, during their Senate confirmation, that they will continue to lead the Russian investigation in an objective way to its logical ends whatever they may be. Trump does that and such a person could pass their hearing and be appointed. The WH could say "See? We didn't fire Comey over the investigation." and recoup some credibility. I'm just saying - that's a move they could play and it would be the best possible thing they could do right now - I just don't trust them to make that move. I think it's more likely they'll pick someone with no credibility and little experience, expecting their confirmation to get filibustered or held up. Then they'll blame the Democrats for playing partisan games, all while leaving the FBI without a director.

I mean - this is all speculation though. Who the fuck knows what will actually happen. So crazy.

Kevtones

What a dumpster fire of a Presidency. 120 days in and the govt is completely dysfunctional and its leadership in solitude.

How can anyone support this?

I hate that you can basically take any major headline that comes out of the sham of a presidency, copy and paste the text into an Always Sunny in Philadelphia title card, and it works.

KHarvey16

From the visionary director who brought you "He'll never Win" and "ACHA won't pass" comes the long awaited sequel, "Here comes the midterm Slaughter".

Defended 538 for quantifying he had a chance and the ACHA hasn't passed.

Why haven't you moved on from this? You made up your mind nothing would ever happen months ago, yet you hang around every thread.

What a dumpster fire of a Presidency. 120 days in and the govt is completely dysfunctional and its leadership in solitude.

How can anyone support this?

It really is mind boggling that over 1/3 of our country still thinks this president is doing a good job. I just can't fathom that train of thought. Absolute insanity.

To me, the most egregious thing to come out of this is the defence being used by Conservatives: "Dems disliked Comey before, but now they love him?".

This rationale is utterly disingenuous and, in my opinion, provocative and insulting. The criticisms of Comey centered on his handling of Clinton's emails. Since then, Comey testified in public that the FBI did indeed have an ongoing investigation into Trump's campaign associates. He has since fired him, apparently on the basis of his handling of Clinton, something which Trump actually praised him for.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that his firing had nothing to do with Clinton, but instead the threat he posed to the administration.

But no. Conservatives want you to believe otherwise. I don't know how you people tolerate this. I really don't. But as Obama said, people deserve their leaders.

Oersted

What's absolutely nutty is that any one of us could have told Comey that this was going to happen, yet he was so very instrumental in helping put Trump in power.

And yet, here we are, and he's partially the instrument of his own downfall.

Reminds me a bit of that guy in Dark Knight Returns

android

Theoretical Magician
Can someone explain to me why the Republicans seem so willing to blindly support Trump? I mean I've heard the argument of party over country.. but let's be honest Trump isn't a Republican. He's insulted half of them, flip flopped between parties before and has never held office anywhere. So if it's that they want to keep the Presidency...Don't they have to remove like a hundred Republicans to find and Democrat or Independent in the line of succession? Its there's until 2020 no matter what. In the end you'd think they'd be jumping at cutting out this cancer.

benjipwns

Banned
Maybe... but hypothetically, Trump could select a bipartisan figure with experience to lead the FBI. Someone who could confirm, during their Senate confirmation, that they will continue to lead the Russian investigation in an objective way to its logical ends whatever they may be. Trump does that and such a person could pass their hearing and be appointed. The WH could say "See? We didn't fire Comey over the investigation." and recoup some credibility. I'm just saying - that's a move they could play and it would be the best possible thing they could do right now - I just don't trust them to make that move. I think it's more likely they'll pick someone with no credibility and little experience, expecting their confirmation to get filibustered or held up. Then they'll blame the Democrats for playing partisan games, all while leaving the FBI without a director.

I mean - this is all speculation though. Who the fuck knows what will actually happen. So crazy.
So you're saying he should appoint Hillary Clinton as FBI Director, so they finally investigate her in the background check.

Bulletproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom