• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
george-bush-miss-me-yet.jpg

Take him over Trump any day. Might even take CHENEY over Trump, which says a ton.

Oersted

To me, the most egregious thing to come out of this is the defence being used by Conservatives: "Dems disliked Comey before, but now they love him?".

This rationale is utterly disingenuous and, in my opinion, provocative and insulting. The criticisms of Comey centered on his handling of Clinton's emails. Since then, Comey testified in public that the FBI did indeed have an ongoing investigation into Trump's campaign associates. He has since fired him, apparently on the basis of his handling of Clinton, something which Trump actually praised him for.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that his firing had nothing to do with Clinton, but instead the threat he posed to the administration.

But no. Conservatives want you to believe otherwise. I don't know how you people tolerate this. I really don't. But as Obama said, people deserve their leaders.

You gotta give it to them how fast from top to bottom everyone swallowed the narrative and parrots it. Noone believes it, but still, an achievement.

jmdajr

Can someone explain to me why the Republicans seem so willing to blindly support Trump? I mean I've head the argument of party over country.. but let's be honest Trump isn't a Republican. He's insulted half of them, flip flopped between parties before and has never held office anywhere. So if it's that they want to keep the Presidency...Don't they have to remove like a hundred Republicans to find and Democrat or Independent in the line of succession? Its there's until 2020 no matter what. In the end you'd think they'd be jumping at cutting out this cancer.

They got their Supreme Court pick. Guess they just want their Tax breaks now?

edit: Oh and Kill Obama care and his death panels.

Chococat

Can someone explain to me why the Republicans seem so willing to blindly support Trump? I mean I've head the argument of party over country.. but let's be honest Trump isn't a Republican. He's insulted half of them, flip flopped between parties before and has never held office anywhere. So if it's that they want to keep the Presidency...Don't they have to remove like a hundred Republicans to find and Democrat or Independent in the line of succession? Its there's until 2020 no matter what. In the end you'd think they'd be jumping at cutting out this cancer.

Because they fought so long to get to this point of near absolute power, they don't care who get hurts now they have reach their pinnacle. The Republicans have never been a party of the people- they have been a party for WASPS. As long as middle class and poor people keep falling for lies, they can keep doing what ever the hell they want.

Condom

Not sure those whose countries got bombed or have to deal with the refugees would prever Bush jr.

Big difference in what'd be better for (liberal) American citizens or the couple of billion that are not.

Luschient

Lifted this from Twitter:

Question asked by former Obama/Biden advisor. Question answered by former Deputy Director of the CIA

C_fVWE9XkAUoTe4.jpg:small

Tovarisc

Source close to Comey says there were 2 reasons the FBI director was fired

There are two reasons why President Donald Trump fired James Comey, according to a source close to the now-former FBI director:
  1. Comey never provided the President with any assurance of personal loyalty.
  2. The fact that the FBI's investigation into possible Trump team collusion with Russia in the 2016 election was not only not going anywhere -- the investigation was accelerating.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/10/p...s-comey-russia0819PMStoryLink&linkId=37450522

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
But would you take Pence over Trump?

Pence is terrible - but I would take him over Trump.

The thing that frightens me most about Trump is his aptness - and complete lack of fortitude. I'm still pretty concerned that when / if relations with other countries goes to complete hell, he'll make the wrong decisions and get us into some shit we can't get out of.

I have mildly better confidence that Pence wouldn't do that - and I don't think trading Trump for Pence is anywhere near a good trade (especially given his religious priorities)... but it's also kinda insane that my only desire out of this trade is that he doesn't destroy humanity.

Lautaro

Take him over Trump any day. Might even take CHENEY over Trump, which says a ton.

I don't understand this view from some americans. Do people already forgot how many people were killed thanks to Bush Jr? how he sunk your economy?

Nixon was also mentioned, I guess people forgot about the war on drugs and all the cold war coups and fuckery.

We get it, Trump is awful but comments like this only show how you keep lowering your bar.

andycapps

Besides KKK members is there anyone who would be worse than Trump?
Not really. I was just trying to bring this back to a more logical exercise rather than saying if people would rather have W back. That isn't happening. Pence is an actual possibility if impeachment were to happen.

ivajz

There are two reasons why President Donald Trump fired James Comey, according to a source close to the now-former FBI director:
  2. The fact that the FBI's investigation into possible Trump team collusion with Russia in the 2016 election was not only not going anywhere -- the investigation was accelerating.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/10/p...s-comey-russia0819PMStoryLink&linkId=37450522
I remember reading yesterday, that the white house wanted the fbi to move focus to leaks as well. Comey didn't want to.

Can someone explain to me why the Republicans seem so willing to blindly support Trump? I mean I've heard the argument of party over country.. but let's be honest Trump isn't a Republican. He's insulted half of them, flip flopped between parties before and has never held office anywhere. So if it's that they want to keep the Presidency...Don't they have to remove like a hundred Republicans to find and Democrat or Independent in the line of succession? Its there's until 2020 no matter what. In the end you'd think they'd be jumping at cutting out this cancer.

Because 80% of republicans still approve of Trump.

For many republicans, they have more to fear from a primary challenge than from the general election.

I cant understand that.

Did they mean it was not "not going anywhere"?

Picking between Bush and Trump would actually be picking between the lesser of two evils, and I'd pick Bush everytime.

Bush started an unjust war whose death toll is in millions if you count the current mess. It destabilized the entire middle east. Spent trillions of dollars on nothing. And ruined entire countries.

Everything Trump has done so far can be reversed by the next president.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I hate that you can basically take any major headline that comes out of the sham of a presidency, copy and paste the text into an Always Sunny in Philadelphia title card, and it works.

The White House press secretary is responsible for collecting information about actions and events within the president's administration and issues the administration's reactions to developments around the world. The press secretary interacts with the media, and deals with the White House press corps on a daily basis, generally in a daily press briefing.

6DHQAMx.png

I don't understand this view from some americans. Do people already forgot how many people were killed thanks to Bush Jr? how he sunk your economy?

Nixon was also mentioned, I guess people forgot about the war on drugs and all the cold war coups and fuckery.

We get it, Trump is awful but comments like this only show how you keep lowering your bar.

Anything is better than a fascist.

Besides KKK members is there anyone who would be worse than Trump?

We should actually be lucky that such an idiot brought us to this point. Could you imagine if Trump had the cunning of Putin? We need to set some new serious fucking restrictions on the Presidency when Trump is out because this "trust they're a good person and rely on tradition" shit won't fly for me anymore.

SHOCKER.

Ben Stein, a former speech writer for Nixon, is defending Trump.

Well yeah. Ben Stein is a dumbass creationist.

I cant understand that.

Bush started an unjust war whose death toll is in millions if you count the current mess. It destabilized the entire middle east. Spent trillions of dollars on nothing. And ruined entire countries.

Bush fucked up withh Iraq, but let's not pretend that the current situation in the ME is all caused by bush. Arab Spring was an inevitability.

Nafai1123

Banned
I cant understand that.

It means Trump wanted it to go nowhere, when in fact it was accelerating and going lots of places.

android

Theoretical Magician
Because they fought so long to get to this point of near absolute power, they don't care who get hurts now they have reach their pinnacle. The Republicans have never been a party of the people- they have been a party for WASPS. As long as middle class and poor people keep falling for lies, they can keep doing what ever the hell they want.
Ya I get that but the line of succession is Pence Ryan Hatch Tillerson etc..They'd love anyone of them more than him. They'd love Ryan or Hatch as President. Honestly I don't think they like or want Trump.. but still support him.

I think they put one too many negatives or one too few in that second point.

Alucrid

Banned
I cant understand that.

it means the investigation wasn't going away

Wut

I cant understand that.

He means "not going anywhere" as in it wasn't going away. Not that it had hit a dead end.

Trump is basically voluntarily getting wiretapped and spied on by the Russians, but his name comes up in an INVESTIGATION ABOUT HIM, and him and his party devote every waking second trying to prosecute a completely legal action..

pigeon

Banned
Hey remember that time W. tried to overrule the Deputy Attorney General to reauthorize the illegal domestic surveillance program by going to the sitting Attorney General who was in intensive care at the time and relieved of duty?

Because the Deputy Attorney General at the time sure does!

On the night of March 10, 2004, as Attorney General John D. Ashcroft lay ill in an intensive-care unit, his deputy, James B. Comey, received an urgent call.

White House Counsel Alberto R. Gonzales and President Bush's chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr., were on their way to the hospital to persuade Ashcroft to reauthorize Bush's domestic surveillance program, which the Justice Department had just determined was illegal.

In vivid testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday, Comey said he alerted FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III and raced, sirens blaring, to join Ashcroft in his hospital room, arriving minutes before Gonzales and Card. Ashcroft, summoning the strength to lift his head and speak, refused to sign the papers they had brought. Gonzales and Card, who had never acknowledged Comey's presence in the room, turned and left.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/15/AR2007051500864.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom