• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine Trump on the stand, he would be caught out instantly and couldn't ramble. I guess that's why he always settles out of court.

He is going to say he never said it. They will play the tape and his response will be "see clearly this wasn't me, you can tell it was that guy from the failing SNL." His supporters will buy it.

Cagey

Banned
For any other attorneys...

In the strictly legal sense, can a President be brought on obstruction of justice charges for removing a person in an appointed position conducting an investigation into him or his associates? The position serves at the pleasure of the executive. Conflicts abound, of course, but is it illegal?

Clearly, in the colloquial use its obstruction.

SGRX

Isn't the electoral college thing also completely wrong? Didn't more Republicans than Democrats get less total votes but still win the presidency due to the electoral college?

Yep. There is no realistic path for a Democrat to win the electoral college but lose the popular vote.

Kyzer

Banned
If by some ungodly coincidence he is actually innocent of direct ties to Russia even though almost his entire staff seems to have some relations with them in one way or another, then he is literally the stupidest person I have ever seen in my life because he's committed several crimes openly (obstruction of justice) trying to cover up something that didn't need covering up. Hopefully he's fucked either way, it seems like everyday he does something near impeachable not even directly related to possible Russian collisions.

Pretty much. Hes either guilty or the dumbest fuck of all time

Hopefully at the end of all this, it help to prove how stupid the electoral college is.

But I doubt it

If it wasnt for the electoral college Lincoln would have never won, because he won without a single southern state supporting him which is a huge reason why they seceded in the first place. People say the EC was created to give power to slave owners while ignoring that slavery was ended against the souths wishes thanks to the EC

We already knew it was obstruction.

And we've seen all of the other alternative explanations and alternative facts fall by the wayside, one by one. Everybody knows its obstruction.

And now we have the POTUS straight up admitting it on national TV.

Ourobolus

Banned
jfc this fucking family is all just batshit crazy

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...weet-linking-death-of-vince-foster-to-ousting

Donald Trump Jr. shared Thursday a tweet linking former President Bill Clinton's 1993 firing of the FBI director to the death of Clinton aide Vince Foster, alluding to a far-right conspiracy theory.

"President Clinton fired his FBI director on July 19th, 1993, the day before Vince Foster was found dead in Marcy Park," the tweet said.

The supposed connection between Clinton's ousting of the FBI director and the death of his aide has long been a conspiracy theory popular among some Republicans, with the implication that Clinton was somehow involved in Foster's death.

CNN first reported Trump's retweet.

President Trump commented on the conspiracy during his 2016 campaign, referring to Foster's death as "very fishy."

Several investigations, however, have ruled that the death was a suicide.

President Trump's decision to fire the FBI Director James Comey this week sparked a wave of criticism and backlash from the Democrats who questioned the timing of the decision.

Reports suggest that Trump was angry at Comey over the FBI investigation into possible connections between Trump's campaign and Russia.

Allard

In any rational world that admitting that in public should be a literal one way ticket to impeachment; not in the future, today. At best he is out of his fucking mind and should be removed via the 25th amendment of the constitution because he keeps doing illegal shit because in his own child like mind he can't possibly be guilty of anything, thus he is not fit/capable of serving the presidency. Its open and shut obstruction of justice, literally the means in which they were planning to impeach Nixon on, not even the crime he committed, the obstruction was what was going to get him thrown out before he resigned on his own.

jelly

I don't think he is innocent simply because he couldn't get loans from reasonable reputable sources after going bankrupt many times and no doubt ended up in the pockets of dodgy Russians, Chinese etc. which leads to his rather odd/favourable behaviour with them. He is neck deep in bad deals but as long as he keeps trucking along, the ground won't swallow him. I think his Presidential run was his last throw of the dice before his Business crumbled, injecting anything into his brand and hoping to cream off it.

Pretty much. Hes either guilty or the dumbest fuck of all time

7QJw7Us.jpg

Though seriously, he is straight up admitting to acting against the investigation here. Surely that's grounds for something.

We already knew it was obstruction.

And we've seen all of the other alternative explanations and alternative facts fall by the wayside, one by one. Everybody knows its obstruction.

And now we have the POTUS straight up admitting it on national TV.

He's on his way to 5th avenue with gun in hand

If by some ungodly coincidence he is actually innocent of direct ties to Russia even though almost his entire staff seems to have some relations with them in one way or another, then he is literally the stupidest person I have ever seen in my life because he's committed several crimes openly (obstruction of justice) trying to cover up something that didn't need covering up. Hopefully he's fucked either way, it seems like everyday he does something near impeachable not even directly related to possible Russian collisions.

It's always the cover-up that gets them.

kaskade

Holy shit at that quote. He is saying he did it to stop the investigation. How much fucking longer can they go on acting like this is nothing. Just imagine if Hillary or obama did this.

RPGCrazied

CNN is really good and really awful sometimes. Like on Erin's show she will talk about Trump eating ice cream. I mean really? Who gives a fuck how many scoops of ice cream he eats?

Allard

So, that excerpt is incredibly stupid, to be sure, but is it actually actionable obstruction of justice?

Its certainly actionable enough to impeach. Reminder there is no judicial branch involvement with the impeachment process nor is there a clear and defined mechanism in place for what constitutes impeachment level evidence. Its literally a vote pushed by the house with a simple majority to start the process, a trial is made, the jury is the senate, the judiciary have no legal ground to interfere so normal statues of legal law do not apply. Once he is removed from office he no longer has immunity from normal trial and judiciary authority and can be arrested for any or all crimes found through the impeachment process should law enforcement choose to pursue it.

Nafai1123

Banned
So, that excerpt is incredibly stupid, to be sure, but is it actually actionable obstruction of justice?

"Actionable" is entirely dependent on Congressional discretion. People need to realize that the POTUS can do literally anything if Congress won't hold him accountable.

iammeiam

does he think being president he gets a free pass? holy fuck LOL

I've said it before but I'm pretty sure in his head America works like a private corporation, which as President he is the CEO and owner of and as such America should be as subject to his whims as any privately owned company.

So, yes, he thinks he gets a free pass. Not out of any underhanded corruption so much as sheer idiocy and lack of capacity to understand how the country he runs works. I don't think he understands that "I'm the President and I say this Russia thing is bunk" doesn't actually count as justification for ending the investigation. He doesn't get that he can appoint people to run things but the people working at that thing don't necessarily work for him specifically.

I'm also not convinced he understands that the Judicial and Legislative branches are explicitly and intentionally set up as able to counteract the executive branch; I'm pretty sure in his head the US org chart has the President at the top and everyone else below.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the electoral college thing also completely wrong? Didn't more Republicans than Democrats get less total votes but still win the presidency due to the electoral college?

Democrats never won the presidency without the popular vote, just 4 republicans and a federalist, though it's very hard treat the parties of the 1800's as the same ones we have today.

Federalist party never won any presidential popular votes, just the one time they won with the electoral college.

subrock

Seems like asking him straightforward questions quickly is a sure fire way to get him to incriminate himself, and not even about the thing you are asking him questions about.

CNN is really good and really awful sometimes. Like on Erin's show she will talk about Trump eating ice cream. I mean really? Who gives a fuck how many scoops of ice cream he eats?
The waiters know well Trump’s personal preferences. As he settles down, they bring him a Diet Coke, while the rest of us are served water, with the Vice President sitting at one end of the table. With the salad course, Trump is served what appears to be Thousand Island dressing instead of the creamy vinaigrette for his guests. When the chicken arrives, he is the only one given an extra dish of sauce. At the dessert course, he gets two scoops of vanilla ice cream with his chocolate cream pie, instead of the single scoop for everyone else. The tastes of Pence are also tended to. Instead of the pie, he gets a fruit plate.
It's from the Times article

JordanN

Banned
If it wasnt for the electoral college Lincoln would have never won, because he won without a single southern state supporting him which is a huge reason why they seceded in the first place. People say the EC was created to give power to slave owners while ignoring that slavery was ended against the souths wishes thanks to the EC

Wikipedia says Lincoln won the popular vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom