• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Leads By Only 6 in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Only to be replaced by a newer generation of bigots.
Evidence Trump campaign events. If you've ever watched any of his rallies there are plenty of 30-40 year old white people.

lol Dude. Not nearly enough to be competitive to win Presidential contests or be a viable national party. On a whole, the majority of 45-and-younger voters (everyone that isn't a dumb white male) are not GOP voters.

Macam

Banned
So Hillary needs to spend the $$$ getting young people to vote in Texas.

She could, but it's doubtful to do much, considering that's one of her weakest demographics.

Also, what Stooge said + the "a normal Republican candidate would flip back to more solidly red" comment.

I look forward to the day when Texas gets more sane state politics, let alone actually goes blue in a federal election, but this is the same wishful thinking that's been going on for nearly a decade now.

zethren

Banned
Evidence Trump campaign events. If you've ever watched any of his rallies there are plenty of 30-40 year old white people.

A very vocal minority. Trump's supporters are not enough to win, as we're seeing. He needs to branch out to more demographics than just old, white, angry people.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
lol Dude. Not nearly enough to be competitive to win Presidential contests or be a viable national party. On a whole, the majority of 45-and-younger voters (everyone that isn't a dumb white male) are not GOP voters.

A very vocal minority. Trump's supporters are not enough to win, as we're seeing. He needs to branch out to more demographics than just old, white, angry people.

Yea I agree not nearly enough to win as evidenced by 2008 and 2012 but they are still out there and in gerrymandered districts there will always be enough of them to elect their batshit crazy representatives to Congress. Just pointing out that the 'old people die' just gives way to a new group of old people.

If you only count those states listed above where Hillary is at least 9 points ahead of Trump, she is already at 273 electoral votes.

Trump could win every other state (including FL, OH, IA, NC, and NV) and he would still lose.

People gotta vote though. Voting matters way more than polls.

But I get what you're saying.

Brinbe

Yea I agree not nearly enough to win as evidenced by 2008 and 2012 but they are still out there and in gerrymandered districts there will always be enough of them to elect their batshit crazy representatives to Congress.

Even that's not gonna last forever, thankfully. Hopefully things are more fair after districts are redrawn in 2021.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Even that's not gonna last forever, thankfully. Hopefully things are more fair after districts are redrawn in 2021.

That is my hope as well. Trump might be the biggest blessing the Democratic party has ever received. If we can manage to flip the house and senate it would be a glorious thing. The Senate flip should be do-able this cycle. Not too optimistic about the house though.

TyrantII

That's the GOP's problem.

A majority of their base are white, racist, jingoists. But that's not the voting public at large. And a candidate like Trump is even losing 20% of the party that isn't the base.

They can't win with their base, and they can't win without it.

The great betrayal in civil rights is finally seeing it's end game. The party is imploding because of its racist deal with the devil to keep it afloat after the fall of the Capitalists of the 20-50s. Integrating racist southern Democrats that felt betrayed by civil rights worked for a good long time, but its almost at its end.

She could, but it's doubtful to do much, considering that's one of her weakest demographics.

What spending money in Texas would do considering the slim margin in the polling is make the GOP sweat, force their hand to spend there themselves and have less resources to defend Florida, Georgia, SC and NC. Would be worth it.

Hazmat

No, it's because their Hispanic population is more conservative compared to other states.

Plus, Gerrymandering can't really affect our Senate and gubernatorial elections that quite solidly elect awful Republicans (Abbott, Perry before him, Cruz, Cornyn).

We did get hit with the Gerrymandering bat early and publicly for our US Representative districts though. Stuff like districts that are 200 miles east-west and 20 miles north-south to connect areas from different cities.

DeviantBoi

You change this by investing in education and tuition-free colleges.

Obama lost the "white, college-educated" voters, but Clinton appears to be changing that.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Thats a pretty big chunk of hispanic support..why? Any texan here? Why would they vote Trump?

Why would anyone
Texas voter under 35 voting Hillary. Houston specifically. I saw my first trump sticker the other day. It was accompanied by another sticker that said "democrats/liberals love the first amendment until you disagree with them." and a few other cliche stickers. Almost took a picture but I just shook my head.

Zoe

Texas voter under 35 voting Hillary. Houston specifically. I saw my first trump sticker the other day. It was accompanied by another sticker that said "democrats/liberals love the first amendment until you disagree with them." and a few other cliche stickers. Almost took a picture but I just shook my head.

That's surprising it was your first--I've actually seen quite a few around Austin.

Torokil

Are there any states out there that have been trending from blue to red in the past few election cycles? It seems like almost all of the states are trending the opposite direction which is great!

Minnesota has been creeping more red state under the radar, compared to decades past where it was the most solid blue state in the nation. Still not gonna change anytime soon though. Democrats are also worried that the rust belt could become more republican as a whole - all of their states voted for republican governors the past few years. Again though, not really likely.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Texas is not going to go blue for HIllary.

That said, the demographics have to be terrifying for Republicans at this point.

The state could flip inside a decade, which means the Republican Party is looking at a very terrifying ticking clock.

The party leadership has to make some big decisions, and they have to make them very soon, gerrymandering or no. I'm starting to think that there's too much political and cultural inertia behind their current trajectory, though, and the Republican Party is straight up doomed.

Thats a pretty big chunk of hispanic support..why? Any texan here? Why would they vote Trump?

Why would anyone

Religion.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Hillary was weak with young people in the primaries. Those are over. Now we are in the general and she is CRUSHING Trump amongst young people.

Brinbe

What other choice do Republicans have? Becoming a more open and inclusive party is necessary but seemingly impossible right now without alienating their wacky ass base.

The GOP's best hope is probably waiting until their racist base dies out in the next few decades and reforming from the ground up as a proper and inclusive conservative party. And I think they'll actually make some gains whenever that happens as there are definitely a lot of conservative minority voters out there that are only turned away because of the overt racism that exists within the GOP.

That may not be 30-40 years down the line though. There will be huge pains, struggles and national marginalization and they may not even survive through that.

That said, the demographics have to be terrifying for Republicans at this point.

The state could flip inside a decade, which means the Republican Party is looking at a very terrifying ticking clock.

The party leadership has to make some big decisions, and they have to make them very soon, gerrymandering or no. I'm starting to think that there's too much political and cultural inertia behind their current trajectory, though, and the Republican Party is straight up doomed.

Religion.

Didn't they have a meeting recently where they were trying to think of idea to keep the party afloat and essentially just doubled down on the bigotry?

It's like it's FAIRLY obvious what they need to change their stance on in social issues, but all of the old farts in the party are refusing to budge on their shit values.

The party won't change until they lose multiple elections by a landslide on social issues alone. Or they bring in a moderate republican to appeal to the folks who are economically conservative and socially tolerant.

dabig2

Yea I agree not nearly enough to win as evidenced by 2008 and 2012 but they are still out there and in gerrymandered districts there will always be enough of them to elect their batshit crazy representatives to Congress. Just pointing out that the 'old people die' just gives way to a new group of old people.

Maybe, but we're talking a very certain type of old person when we say they're dying off. We're talking old white conservatives who came of age during Nixon and worship Ronald Reagan as Conservative god. In the future, you're getting old white people who came of age during Dubya's disaster and who likely can barely even remember Reagan if they even do at all. There's no "back in my day" glossing of history for them. So it's not just that they're old and white. It also matters when you grew up, where you grew up, and how.

Additionally, you're going to have a ton of old minority voters there too. The white voting % share has been dropping, particularly among those under 45.

mo60

Genuinely curious. Is there any state left that Trump has a double digit lead in?

Also, does anyone believe a terrorist attack happening between today and Nov will push Trump's numbers back to ahead of Hillary?

Here are thee states were trump is curently leading by a double digit margin

Olkahoma,Alabama, Louisana, Arkansas(I think), Tennesssee,West Virgina,Wyoming, Idaho, Kentucky, Nebraska(statewide) and Nebraska(3rd congrsssional district)

Here are thee states were trump is curently leading by a double digit margin

Olkahoma,Alabama, Louisana, Arkansas(I think), Tennesssee,West Virgina,Wyoming, Idaho, Kentucky, Nebraska(statewide) and Nebraska(3rd congrsssional district)

That's a projection based on national polls, few of those states have been polled at all since the primaries have ended.

mo60

That's a projection based on national polls, few of those states have been polled at all since the primaries have ended.

Pretty much. Also, one of the states in that list were trump may be leading by less than 10 points right now is probably Kentucky based off some of the polls we seen from Kansas and some of the limited polling we have seen from the states surrounding it like IN.Maybe someone should poll Kentucky next.

Protein

Banned
Yes, libertarians (closet Republicans) here in Texas, keep voting for Johnson. Yes, keep thinking both parties are the same, please.

If Johnson surges and Republicans continue to abandon Trump as his impending loss looks ever more convincing, Texas could have a remote chance of turning blue. My how glorious that would be.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

I'm curious if there was a chance of the state going blue if the state would vote to have it's electoral votes divided up proportionally. At least that way they'd only be giving up half the state's votes.

I'm curious if there was a chance of the state going blue if the state would vote to have it's electoral votes divided up proportionally. At least that way they'd only be giving up half the state's votes.

That'd guarantee that they wouldn't keep all of its EVs.

Raven117

It all depends on if the Dem party can get their crap together here. They always seem to be in a state of disarray and not enough cooperation to field a viable candidate for state-wide positions.

Oh, I think the Dem party is merely allocating resources where they think they can win.

Once they think Texas is truly in play, then I would expect this to change considerably.

CrazyDude

It doesn't have to be though, a lot of Latinos are conservative but don't vote for the GOP because of their racist anti immigrant dogma.

I think people are still mis-reading this if they want Texas to flip blue. Trump does not play well here particularly among Texas conservatives.

Texas has a strong libertarian streak to it's conservatism, which Trump is not playing well towards. Trade deals like NAFTA have been nothing but good for the Texas economy, so his hammering trade is going to hurt him here.

Texas also does not have the obsession with a border wall that most states too. Texas has generally had a more positive relationship with Mexico than most states, and Dubya helped that a lot. There are enough hispanics in Texas (San Antonio is majority hispanic, white people are less than 50% of the Austin population that pure raw hatred of hispanic people stealing jerbs doesn't really exist.

The major cities are increasingly liberal. Austin is obviously super extra liberal (78704 holla) . But San Antonio, Dallas and Houston are turning into liberal hotbeds of their own. The Texas suburbs are where Republicans murder dems. While affulent suburbs of other cities are competitive, they are pure unadulterated republican hot beds in Texas. Suburban Texas conservatives see themselves as more socially conservative Rockefeller republicans though. Small government, low regulation and just a slight distaste for minority groups. The Trump platform is basically "fuck small government, but extra fuck minorities". Texas conservatives are primarily interested in the government fucking itself and doing very little. And while racism is a massive problem here, the state isn't full of disenfranchised white voters who have few prospects for replacing income lost decades ago that is blamed on globalization or minorities undercutting them.

Also, the Texas Democratic party is a fucking joke and is in no position to help the national party let alone statewide elected officials. Even when they manage to recruit a decent candidate they get stomped.

This number is an outlier. As much as I want Texas to turn blue, I think people need to realize that it is a conservative state, even with minority voters, probably as a result of the Texas Republican party generally being more favorable to the hispanic population vs. the national party.
The bolded is a really interesting point that I hadn't thought of.

S9Am5.gif

Sorry no chance this is going to be the case come election day, not a chance it will be anywhere near that close.

Is it that hard for republicans to adapt their platform?

Just remove the racist, sexist, and homophobic elements and keep the rest. Right there you've increased your party base, more than you've lost. Your redneck base will inbreed themselves into extinction over the next 50 years. And the fiscal conservative bullshit you spout but never abide by, the religious stuff, the dislike for the poor, you can still keep all of that.

Just remove the racist, sexist, and homophobic elements and keep the rest. Right there you've increased your party base, more than you've lost. Your redneck base will inbreed themselves into extinction over the next 50 years. And the fiscal conservative bullshit you spout but never abide by, the religious stuff, the dislike for the poor, you can still keep all of that.

They can't do it with the snap of their fingers, their most devoted base will strongly oppose it and there are plenty of elected Republicans who are willingly to pander to them. Trump won the nomination propelled by these people and the 2nd place finisher was Ted Cruz, another extremist. What you suggested requires a party civil war.

Brinbe

You have to give it time till they have no other choice because the rest of the racists have died out. They'll change when absolutely necessary and it'll be some huge revolutionary thought that lots of non-white people aren't so scary and liberal after all.

I guess that'll be a sort of progress...

DrSlek

I thought Texas ended up voting blue last election because of places like Houston. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Macam

Banned
Hillary was weak with young people in the primaries. Those are over. Now we are in the general and she is CRUSHING Trump amongst young people.

If you ask people who they prefer between the two, yes.

But if you're asking more young people to come out to vote for Clinton to offset the older crowd's more reliable voting bloc, don't be surprised if they don't. I just don't think HRC spending more money in the state is going to really drive the results some are suggesting.

Schlep

That article irritated me instantly. It lumps together people aged 18-36 into one big voting bloc, when the 18-22 year olds are very different from the older ones in that classification.

JohnsonUT

Any candidate who "adapts" as you say will lose the primary to an opponent that keeps the racism and sexism. While the party elites can try to steer the party in certain directions (through platforms and media), the people still have a powerful voice via who they nominate. Right now the people nominating want racism and sexism in their candidates.

ArjanN

Any candidate who "adapts" as you say will lose the primary to an opponent that keeps the racism and sexism. While the party elites can try to steer the party in certain directions (through platforms and media), the people still have a powerful voice via who they nominate. Right now the people nominating want racism and sexism in their candidates.

I kinda figured after this election they will try to tone down those elements out of pure pragmatism. Trump is almost certainly going to get dunked on in spectacular fashion making it pretty obvious you can't actually win that way any more.

Texas cities are usually liberal. Even the suburbs can be a toss up. Problem is the small towns are overwhelmingly white and conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom