• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Leads By Only 6 in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

Thats a pretty big chunk of hispanic support..why? Any texan here? Why would they vote Trump?

Why would anyone

Well, in South and Central Texas, a large chunk of Hispanic people are Tejanos, the Spanish-speaking people of Texas who have been here since it was a colony of Spain. They consider themselves culturally distinct from Mexican-Americans, so it's quite possible that they might not be as favorable of immigration as other Hispanics whose families migrated here in the past few generations. I'm truthfully not quite sure where Tejanos tend to fall politically, since most of them tend to live south of Austin. Anyone know of any polls/studies?

Also, lots of deep cultural conservatism. God, gays, abortion, all that jazz.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't really see how. Libertarian economic ideas are some of the least popular parts of the GOP ideology, you can't build a national conservative party without social conservatives.

I'm not talking about the next election or even the next two elections. I'm speaking more long-term. Decades. If you look at the breakdown of political preferences of Millennials right now you'll find that Gary Johnson is disproportionately popular amongst younger voters. Everybody remembers how the internet went apeshit over Ron Paul a few years back.

Social conservatism as we currently know it (basically evangelicals) is going to be further and further marginalized as time goes on. Religious identification is dropping. Social conservatism won't go away but it'll be more like the backlash you're seeing against progressives that you're seeing on the internet right now (think Gamergate) which is a type of social conservatism that is popular amongst libertarians.

I'm not talking about the next election or even the next two elections. I'm speaking more long-term. Decades. If you look at the breakdown of political preferences of Millennials right now you'll find that Gary Johnson is disproportionately popular amongst younger voters. Everybody remembers how the internet went apeshit over Ron Paul a few years back.

Social conservatism as we currently know it (basically evangelicals) is going to be further and further marginalized as time goes on. Religious identification is dropping. Social conservatism won't go away but it'll be more like the backlash you're seeing against progressives that you're seeing on the internet right now (think Gamergate) which is a type of social conservatism that is popular amongst libertarians.

I hope that Donald Trump and all republicans during this election cycle and in future elections are asked how old they think this planet is. It's such a benign question, and yet they squirm when asked this, almost as if they've been asked whether or not they support Israel. They love to pander to their religious base until the light is shined upon them and people take a closer look at what their theocratic wetdream entails.

The question is how smoothly this transition will end up being. The religious right of the 1970's was born from Jerry Falwell over contesting school desegregation, which probably in turn has historical roots with the dixiecrats migration to the republican party during the 1960's. So they've basically come full circle in where they now find themselves in 2016.

And can somebody explain how Jeb!, Kasich, and Rubio are moderate, establishment types when they too have pandered to the same fetid base that Trump and Cruz have in this election cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom