• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump risks major diplomatic dispute with China after speaking with Taiwan's prez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

I love seeing folks freak out about this. It's truly incredible.

modCwnF.jpg

jstripes

Banned

I'm gonna lay it straight:

At this point, if you think Trump ran for President for any reason other than simply wanting to be the most important man in the world, you are an idiot.

He doesn't give a shit about you. He doesn't give a shit about jobs. He doesn't give a shit about Making America Great Again. He just gets off on the idea of world leaders praising him and sucking up to him.

The honeymoon is gonna end real quick.

Taiwan is a known ally to the US, we support them with military deals yearly. I highly doubt a simple phone call is going to make diplomatic matters worse between the US and China compared to the fact we invest and sell military equipment to Taiwan each year.

Erevador

I hope everyone realizes that this is not a joke. This is deathly serious.

Trump is in waters here that are extraordinarily dangerous.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I could not be more opposed to Trump's presidency on moral, ethical and practical grounds. He is an incompetent and inexperienced buffoon who plays on the fears of decent American's and fans the fires that burn within the racist, sexist minority that makes up the core of his support.

That said, the US should absolutely normalise it's relationship with a country like Taiwan, and not doing so because big scary China would get mad is a ridiculous position to be in for a country like the US. You sold them $7bn worth of military hardware in the last 5 years for crying out loud.

So, Trump bad, diplomatic relationships with and recognition of Taiwan good.

If Obama, or hell, if President Romney did this knowing some of the ramifications as a deliberate gesture with plans to follow through I'd be much less worried

Trump is an idiot who relishes being uninformed. The problem is that he is going to have zero clue for how to follow this up without making everything worse.

BKK

Withdrawing from Obama's TPP sure is a great way to uphold and strengthen US influence in the region.

It's funny people think Trump is concerned about Taiwan's democracy or China's aggressions in the region.

Just because I disagree with certain Obama policies doesn't mean that I'm a supporter of all of his opponent's policies!

I think that's a large part of the problem with this kind of debate, people tend to just agree or disagree with every policy that the politician that they either support or don't support has, rather than having their own nuanced opinions which may occasionally contradict the view of the politician that they generally agree with.

So yeah, I can not be a fan of Trump, but be even less of a fan of Xi Jinping.

slit

Perhaps Xi Jinping should in return recognize the illegal annexation of Texas by the US and declare whoever heads the Republic of Texas movement these days the rightful president of Texas.

I mean, who the fuck is Trump to forbid Glorious Xi to phone the President of the Republic of Texas, right?

(It's nice when these things happen in a region far away from home eh.)

He could but everybody would laugh at him. It's really stupid and hypocritical for the U.S. to sell Taiwan billions in military hardware and then pretend they don't exist.

Boke1879

Trump doesn't do anything unless he sees some sort of benefit for himself. So i'd look at what deals he's tried to make with Taiwan on the past as far as businesses go.

That said I wonder how conservatives will act. This was a policy enacted by Reagan. I wonder what their response will be to this.

I dont like Trump but I am glad he did this. Its about time diplomatic relations resume with Taiwan and Taiwan can finally be seen as an independent nation.

faisal233

how is standing up to china bad thing? He is right in what he said.

"Standing up" to china mean's nothing. We just fucked all our allies in the region with TPP and China will establish dominance in the region with their trade partnership. That's how the world works. Being macho isn't going to help us build trade relationships and exert dominance.

What is Trump going to do when they have established trade and military relationships and have their Navy dominate the sea? Get in a shooting war when the rest of asia supports china?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
What do you call them? Every Taiwanese I've ever met and every American I've ever met refers to them as Taiwan.

Chinese Taipei. I know someone already answered, but they didn't explain why. It's complicated, but as it stands Taiwan/Republic of China/Chinese Taipei isn't truly independent, not in the sense of any other independent country. You could say it's similar to Cyprus and Greece, but considerably more hostile and complicated... not to say Cyprus isn't complicated... it's one of the most complicated histories in the world and in real life is a divided country.. under both Greek and Turkish rule.. with British military bases.

I'd suggest reading up on the subject at least in summary to understand. I guarantee a mere matter of minutes of research would help you understand things aren't as simple as "We should recognize Taiwan as country".

It could be your take-away, but you might be surprised that you understand why many prefer leaving things ambiguous.

I have no issue with this. I know it's a big deal to China and all that, but times are changing and I'd rather we deal with Taiwan independently than going through China to talk to them.

Yeah, that little agreement was made decades ago about us recognizing China as a whole entity and Taiwan being a province, but if we're all about "democracy" as we say we are, why cant we talk to the Taiwan directly instead of having to play by China's rules.

Taiwan isn't really independent. Technically the Chinese civil war isn't over, and Taiwan has never actually declared they are separate. Honestly it would be pretty ugly if they did, which is a big reason we should stay the fuck out of it in the open and play the long game.

I could not be more opposed to Trump's presidency on moral, ethical and practical grounds. He is an incompetent and inexperienced buffoon who plays on the fears of decent American's and fans the fires that burn within the racist, sexist minority that makes up the core of his support.

That said, the US should absolutely normalise it's relationship with a country like Taiwan, and not doing so because big scary China would get mad is a ridiculous position to be in for a country like the US. You sold them $7bn worth of military hardware in the last 5 years for crying out loud.

See above.

faisal233

Oh, his organization wants to a fucking resort there?

In November, the mayor of Taoyuan, Taiwan confirmed to China Times that a representative from the Trump Organization visited the municipality in September. Reports indicate Trump’s son Eric Trump will visit Taiwan later this year to discuss “a large-scale urban development project aimed at capitalizing on Taoyuan’s status as a transport hub for East Asia.”

Ofcourse, he wants to use the United States foreign policy for his own personal benefit.

Erevador

An island power, caught up in an ideologically significant dispute between two nuclear superpowers. Reminds me of a moment that almost ended human civilization.

This is not something to be frivolous about. Escalation between the US and China at an already tense moment in that relationship could have extremely bad long-term consequences.

The thin mutual understanding between the US and China is what has allowed for the present era of general global stability.

Caution, rationality, and seriousness are badly needed.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
He knew it'd piss off China, my thought is that he believes Russia will have our back if something comes back out of China.

Makai

An island power, caught up in an ideologically significant dispute between two nuclear superpowers. Reminds me of a moment that almost ended human civilization.

This is not something to be frivolous about. Escalation between the US and China at an already tense moment in that relationship could have extremely bad long-term consequences.

The thin mutual understanding between the US and China is what has allowed for the present era of general global stability.

Caution, rationality, and seriousness are badly needed.
Haha. Complete misunderstanding of the situation on your part.

chadskin

Just because I disagree with certain Obama policies doesn't mean that I'm a supporter of all of his opponent's policies!

I think that's a large part of the problem with this kind of debate, people tend to just agree or disagree with every policy that the politician that they either support or don't support has, rather than having their own nuanced opinions which may occasionally contradict the view of the politician that they generally agree with.

So yeah, I can not be a fan of Trump, but be even less of a fan of Xi Jinping.

The TPP is arguably the cornerstone of the US's future influence in the region. If you're decrying that Obama wasn't able to stop Chinese aggression there, I don't know how you're able to give the guy who wants to kill that agreement altogether any benefit of the doubt.

And I think you'll find many who agree with you that Obama was a weak president in terms of foreign policy, myself included.

He could but everybody would laugh at him. It's really stupid and hypocritical for the U.S. to sell Taiwan billions in military hardware and then pretend they don't exist.

It's not hypocritical. The logic is that the US agreed to the 'One China' policy and believes there's not going to be an invasion (because how could China invade itself), hence it sells 'defensive' arms to Taiwan.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't even realize the U.S. government had a policy against even speaking officially to Taiwan, despite the military sales. The Chinese influence must be massive.

I wish some sort of human rights reform could occur in China.

BKK

The TPP is arguably the cornerstone of the US's future influence in the region. If you're decrying that Obama wasn't able to stop Chinese aggression there, I don't know how you're able to give the guy who wants to kill that agreement altogether any benefit of the doubt.

And I think you'll find many who agree with you that Obama was a weak president in terms of foreign policy, myself included..

Then we're agreed, it would be stupid of Trump to pull out of TPP (hopefully it's just all talk and it gets renamed with minor changes ... well, we can hope).

Zaph

Trump has the moral high ground here.

how is standing up to china bad thing? He is right in what he said.

Jesus, do some people just think China is a schoolyard bully and the US does this to appease them?

The US and China are two superpowers with an incredibly complex relationship. None of us have any idea how the issue of Taiwan fits into that puzzle and how the US benefits from avoiding diplomatic relations with Taipei.

Going "yeah, stick it to China" and walking away is infantile.

Barzul

People are seriously underestimating China's position in the world. They think that they wouldn't risk alienating the US. I imagine it is their eventual goal to overtake the United States as the worlds biggest influencer. Whose to say Trump does not lead to them accelerating that goal. They have fingers in all the major developing economies etc. An example being China currently has more influence in the continent of Africa than America does. It's why the current strategy of mutual coexistence has worked out so far for both of us. But you can't coexist with what you cannot predict. Trump is unpredictable.

And to those bringing up Russia. They're probably licking their fingers in glee. I'm sure any failure of America is ultimately welcome in Russia. It doesn't matter how many times Trump calls Putin powerful. They unlike Trump are not easily influenced.

Erevador

Haha. Complete misunderstanding of the situation on your part.
No.

People who know what they're talking about realize this is a reckless mistake.

Christopher Hill - Fmr Ambassador to Korea and A/S of East Asia Affairs
[URL="https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/804840749825028096"]Ian Bremmer - Founder Eurasia Group

[/URL]Ari Fleischer - Bush press secretary

I imagine Trump will quickly try and say he's not setting policy here, but damage will have been done.

A true blunder.

Tell me how he's standing up to China at all. He likely did this out of ignorance and not knowing shit.

How will he follow up on this? What will his response to China be?

"Standing up" to china mean's nothing. We just fucked all our allies in the region with TPP and China will establish dominance in the region with their trade partnership. That's how the world works. Being macho isn't going to help us build trade relationships and exert dominance.

What is Trump going to do when they have established trade and military relationships and have their Navy dominate the sea? Get in a shooting war when the rest of asia supports china?

If only saying "HI and Thank you " to Taiwan freaks every one out this much then he did the right thing. He also called out hypocrisy of USA. I think he did very right thing. No need to freak out over this. Infect this sends the message.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Trump's right about this. The US basically gives it tons of military hardware yet is supposed to pretend not to have any relationship with it. It's kind of absurd.
Being right, flaunting the ways we have skirted our One China policy, and directly overstepping 40 years of policy are not good diplomatic tactics.

Barzul

Trump's right about this. The US basically gives it tons of military hardware yet is supposed to pretend not to have any relationship with it. It's kind of absurd.

But it wasn't common knowledge. Now it will be. China is a more powerful ally to have than Taiwan. Why don't people get this. This is not a time to be ideological. Did people learn nothing from the Cold War?

If this was a strategic move you'd hear less complaints, but he isn't even president yet and is tweeting about it.

BKK

No.

People who know what they're talking about realize this is a reckless mistake.

Christopher Hill - Fmr Ambassador to Korea and A/S of East Asia Affairs
[URL="https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/804840749825028096"]Ian Bremmer - Founder Eurasia Group

[/URL]Ari Fleischer - Bush press secretary

I imagine Trump will quickly try and say he's not setting policy here, but damage will have been done.

A true blunder.

There will be people who "know what their talking about" who have all sorts of opinions. I guess it depends on which end of the political spectrum they fall. Just argue your own point, rather than post other people's points.

This doesn't sound like it was as impromptu as Trump claims.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2016/12/03/2003660473

President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) was to have a telephone conversation with US president-elect Donald Trump yesterday, which would be the first time a Taiwanese president has spoken with a US president-elect since official diplomatic ties between the two nations were severed in 1979.

According to sources in Washington, Tsai was to congratulate Trump on his election win and to reiterate that Taiwan would continue to maintain a steady relationship with the US, as well as to express hopes for expanded Taiwan-US collaborations on the economy, politics and regional security.

Trump reportedly agreed to the call, which was arranged by his Taiwan-friendly campaign staff after his aides briefed him on issues regarding Taiwan and the situation in the Taiwan Strait, sources said.

Opto

Banned
Trump recognized the unrecognized leader of China and everyone with foreign policy experience is freaking out about this.

You shouldn't celebrate the ignorance of delicate foreign policy just because you share the same lack of knowledge as Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom