• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Ford Prefect said:
Really? :(

I always got the impression it stayed good, which is why I always heard so many good things about it.

It does. But it becomes more spotty IMO in S3 and S4. I loved the finale though.

Costanza

Banned
Finale is amazing. One of my favorite series finales ever.

The rest of the show after season 1 is just so inconsistent though. Ugh.

adg1034

Freaks and Geeks. Holy shit. It's like I finally know what it's like to grow up in Michigan. This has to be second only to Buffy for best high school show of all time.

beelzebozo said:
i just watched this episode last night too, dude, and enjoyed it immensely.
Cool. I'm going to watch a few more this weekend if I have time. When the time comes, I think Hulu has all of S3 up. I'm not sure if I want to wait for the dvd/streaming-via-360 for that. I'm not a huge fan of watching shows on my computer screen.
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm not against shows that are tough to watch, and I'm certainly not against unlikeable characters, with the caveat that they have to be either interesting, complex, or somewhat understandable/sympathetic, preferably all three. I found most of the non-Walt characters to be rather one-dimensional, although Walt himself so far is more fascinating for me than, say, anyone on Rome or Mad Men - two other shows whose characters largely failed to engage or hold my interest. So, I am not hating on the show or anything, and I definitely want to get back to it.
If that's your take on it, then I think there's a good chance you'll enjoy it. Watch a few more and let us know what you think. The first season starts off quickly, but it's very focused on Walt and I can understand your criticism of the other lead characters. They do get fleshed out a bit more in S1, but keep in mind that it ends at an odd point after only 7 episodes due to the writer's strike. As spotless mind mentioned, S2 does a much better job with the non-Walt characters.

I finished the first season of United States of Tara. Diablo Cody, I take back everything I said about you after Juno. This is such a good show. And thankfully the dialogue that was so knowingly "clever" in Juno, is as at a minimum (its mostly the sister who gets shafted a lot of those lines). Definitely worth checking out, but don't expect a full blown comedy, it's more of a 30 minute drama with a slight comedic edge.

And because she never gets near enough love <3 <3 <3 Toni Collette.

Acid08

Banned
I'm 11 episodes deep into Freaks and Geeks and fuck this show is amazing. Some of it has really hit close to home with me for some of my high school experience(friend zone, changing your group of friends etc.).

Martin Starr is the fucking greatest as well.

adg1034

Acid08 said:
I'm 11 episodes deep into Freaks and Geeks and fuck this show is amazing. Some of it has really hit close to home with me for some of my high school experience(friend zone, changing your group of friends etc.).

Martin Starr is the fucking greatest as well.

2275180807_2b8c6c23b5.jpg

Oh, your love for him's gonna grow. Just you wait.

Coop

Caught up to breaking Bad. Started off kind of slow but the second season has been solid so far. I've been watching Big Love too. Surprisingly a good show and heard the third season is the best so I'm looking forward to watching that. Hopefully I'll start soon but my comcast indemand is not working at the moment :-\

Ford Prefect said:
Really? :(

I always got the impression it stayed good, which is why I always heard so many good things about it.

It's different for every person. IMO, The first two seasons are great. The second season has like 2 or 3 bad episodes in the second half. IMO people greatly exaggerate the bad episodes in the second season. The third season starts off amazing and then drags in the middle. I thought the first half of season 4 was pretty solid except for 1 episode. Or two, I honestly don't remember much of the first half so maybe that's saying something. The second half is without a doubt the worst in the series. The first 4 are good, the rest are inconsistent and have horrible pacing. I enjoyed the finale but it seems to be a love/hate thing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just finished the first two seasons of The Sopranos and it's quite good despite my general disinterest in mafia stories.

After I finish The Sopranos I'll move on to Battlestar Galactica. Those are the two series I'm catching up on this year. Last year I did The X-Files, The Larry Sanders Show and The Wire (which I'd seen a couple seasons of, but rewatched everything and the rest). Probably be able to fit another old series in this year too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i donnu man. everything, to be honest. i think if you don't like it ten episodes in then it just may not strike your fancy. stranger things have happened. you gave it your best shot, which was the right thing to do.

Acid08

Banned
The only thing about F&G's is that it's not as laugh out loud funny as I thought it was. But there's a lot of subtle humor I really like. Favorite characters so far are definitely Haverchuck and Lisa's dad.

Kastro

Banned
I like Arrested Development a lot but it's more "clever humor". It's the kind of humor that I find myself grinning at but not laughing out loud to. I don't think that's a bad thing though.

gdt

gdt5016 said:
Drunky Mcgee's girlfriend (the slutty one who's messing with Smash) is

SO.

FREAKING.

HOT.

X that out. The coach's daughter is the hottest girl. Then Lyla. Then the above.

On ep 6 BTW. Loving it.

Acid08

Banned
Just finished episode 13 of F&G. Man that was probably the best episode so far.
The whole thing with Bill actually had me tearing up a little. I really think he's by far the best character in the series so far.
But then the
whole pot thing really struck a nerve with me. The talk that Lindsay and Milly got into actually made me think a bit about my own life. I am an atheist stoner, and it's weird to think about. I definitely have all the negative effects of smoking too much but I don't really care to think about. But for some reason watching this show has kind of inspired me to delve a little deeper into my life. No show, or anything really, has done that before.

mrklaw said:
wow, really? I just thought it was some low budget internet TV spinoff from sci-fi/syfy. If its good I'll give it a watch - scifi are showing it in the UK at the moment

I had the exact same impression (it airs on a network full of shitty teen dramas aimed at teenage girls) but after hearing some non-spoilery mumblings about how Supernatural recently had a bunch of kickass twists and shit I finally checked it out. I was immediately suprised by how fucking good the presentation is and also how incredibly violent it can be at times. Plus it pays a great deal of attention to supernatural myths and legends from all kinds of sources while it episodes may have similar setups and plots (being an episodic series this will happen) the solutions and answers to mysteries in the show are always different.

Also the only two regular characters have really good chemistry as brothers so watching them interact is great.

Tim-E

gdt5016 said:
Wow, Hulu just added the 4th season of Rescue Me, meaning the entire series is up. I'll check it out.

Watching the FNL pilot now BTW.

I love Rescue Me. I never finished the third season and didn't get to watch the fourth season, so I think I'll try to watch everything before the season 5 premiere.

Vik_Vaughn said:
I was sick last week and my wife and I watched the entire season on demand. I really like this show a lot. Toni Collete being awesome, as well as the family dynamic here really makes the show.

I had dismissed the show until last week because I'd just catch snippets of it here and there and thought it looked stupid. I couldn't have been more wrong and encourage anyone to check this out. The entire first season is on demand, so for those of you with access should definitely watch it.
The Storyteller said:
I finished the first season of United States of Tara. Diablo Cody, I take back everything I said about you after Juno. This is such a good show. And thankfully the dialogue that was so knowingly "clever" in Juno, is as at a minimum (its mostly the sister who gets shafted a lot of those lines). Definitely worth checking out, but don't expect a full blown comedy, it's more of a 30 minute drama with a slight comedic edge.

And because she never gets near enough love <3 <3 <3 Toni Collette.
I just finished the first season as well and i was thinking of making a thread on it, cos i ended up liking it so much.

Toni Collette. <3 <3 <3 SHE IS FUCKING AWESOME IN THIS.

Someone asked me about Rosemarie DeWitt in this a while back, but she hadn't been in it enough for me to judge. She is also great. Her character is kind of a bitch, but i can empathise with her. The sister dynamic actually reminded me of Rachel Getting Married, though her Charmaine in Tara is a stark contrast to Rachel.

gdt

Well, I decided to stay out of the FNL S3 thread, I was tempted to get peaky. So these are the posts I made about S2. (Loved S1 BTW).

Well, I just started S2, and I'll be caught up soon. A couple of things.

-
Christian Lyla
? Ugh
-Julie can go choke on a cock
for doing that to my main man

+Absolutely loving where
Tara and Landry
are going/are at

Edit

---------A murder plot?????????????? UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Experimental stem surgeries in Mexico?

FFFUUUUCCKKKK That.

Christ, the story line I'm digging so far is the Buddy Garrity
divorce
, and I'm still iffy on the Taylor's distance thing.

Edit: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a sec,

I like the hot nurse in Sarison's house. I hope
he dumps Julie
. Fuck her.

Please. Dear God. In Heaven.

Dont give a fucking
Lyla/Riggins
story again.

Please.

Edit: Give me
Jason and Lyla
. I like them together. Or at least give me more of the hot tattoo girl.

I guess they decided to spare me the last one. God, Solo was right when he said all the characters turn for the suck. Except so far Eric, Tami, and Saricen. The nurse is hot, so he should get on that.

The most hated storyline right now is Julie. I want to throw my damn laptop out a window when she starts talking. Followed very closed by the
murder

gdt

Oh.

My.

God.

SHARK BLOOD?!?

FUCKING
SHARK BLOOD?!?

This is killing me. They are literally making 80% of the cast virtually unlikeable. S3 better make me love them again
Solo

gdt

Just finished S2.5

I really liked the movements in this episode. Except that last one. Barf.

And I see it still kinda continues in the beginning of the next one. Great.

gdt5016 said:
Just finished S2.5

I really liked the movements in this episode. Except that last one. Barf.

And I see it still kinda continues in the beginning of the next one. Great.

S3 is awesome :D

gdt

Ok, I'm going to bed on a good note.

Finally, it seems like it's picking up and the stories are moving in better places.

Except for
Lyla's. I really liked her and Jason and hope thats the direction they take. Though it seems kinda doubtful.

And I'm liking
Julie
again for obvious reasons. Its nice to see her suffer.

Man what boobies of hers in this episode. Its the one where
her aunt visits

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gdt5016 said:
Ok, I'm going to bed on a good note.

Finally, it seems like it's picking up and the stories are moving in better places.

Except for
Lyla's. I really liked her and Jason and hope thats the direction they take. Though it seems kinda doubtful.

And I'm liking
Julie
again for obvious reasons. Its nice to see her suffer.

Man what boobies of hers in this episode. Its the one where
her aunt visits

fun note for tv fans: aunt shelley is played by the same actress who plays gina on NIP/TUCK. she's saucy.

i agree with you that it gets less silly as the season goes on--or maybe i'm just getting more used to it--but the end of the most recent episode i watched was pretty trite.
do we really need the standard "guy who's trying to help a drunk girl but is mistaken for trying to make a move on her" moment? season 2 has several of these wholly predictable things i've seen in a hundred other shows. . .
it's certainly more predictable than the surprisingly original first season of FNL.

beelzebozo said:
fun note for tv fans: aunt shelley is played by the same actress who plays gina on NIP/TUCK. she's saucy.

i agree with you that it gets less silly as the season goes on--or maybe i'm just getting more used to it--but the end of the most recent episode i watched was pretty trite.
do we really need the standard "guy who's trying to help a drunk girl but is mistaken for trying to make a move on her" moment? season 2 has several of these wholly predictable things i've seen in a hundred other shows. . .
it's certainly more predictable than the surprisingly original first season of FNL.
You're out of the doldrums of the season imo. There Goes The Neighbourhood (which was totally frakkin awesome, but i agree with you on the ending) onwards is pretty damn great, barring the Smash subplot and a few more off moments. The thing that made some of these predictable "soap opera" moments tolerable is how they play off them realistically afterwards. I actually quite like that Riggins ending in retrospect after the follow up in the next ep.
Plus drunk Julie and Riggins kind of playing the big brother to her was hysterical.

I also found Aunt Shelley to be one of the seasons highlights. Loved the dynamic she had with Tami.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i act pickier about it than i really am. as i think i've said before, a sort of ho-hum season can ride the good will of a really great season for me, especially when i'm watching it straight through in one shot. the characters are already endeared to me, so even if things get a little goofy or over-the-top, my relationship with the people involved keeps it interesting to me in some respect.

looking forward to moving on to season 3, though.

G-Bus

Banned
Saw an episode of Flight of the Conchords last night. Was pretty funny.

Wish Hulu worked in Canada. So many shows I want to watch.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
G-Bus said:
Saw an episode of Flight of the Conchords last night. Was pretty funny.

Wish Hulu worked in Canada. So many shows I want to watch.

speaking of hulu, does anyone know if there's a way to stream it through a 360? tons of stuff i'd like to check out on there, but the idea of sitting around on my laptop watching it is kind of unappealing

Bernbaum

Costanza said:
Finale is amazing. One of my favorite series finales ever.

The rest of the show after season 1 is just so inconsistent though. Ugh.

Season 2 was very solid, and had some of my favourite moments. Cylon existential meanderings were the weakest points for me in Seasons 3 and 4.

For the record- I loved the whole New Caprica Arc, and felt the rescue was one of the most amazing moments in the shows life span.

And I'm only just now hearing that people didn't like 4.5? It was rock-solid from the series return right up until the finale- the coupe by Gaeta and Zarek was great and was the first time I became worried about the dwindling number of humans left in the fleet.

Currently watching It's always sunny in Philadelphia. It's ok- I'm half way through season 2, but each episode only has a handful of big laughs.

Kastro

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
You're out of the doldrums of the season imo. There Goes The Neighbourhood (which was totally frakkin awesome, but i agree with you on the ending) onwards is pretty damn great, barring the Smash subplot and a few more off moments. The thing that made some of these predictable "soap opera" moments tolerable is how they play off them realistically afterwards. I actually quite like that Riggins ending in retrospect after the follow up in the next ep.
Plus drunk Julie and Riggins kind of playing the big brother to her was hysterical.

yeah, I thought that was a really endearing episode. Just gives Riggins cool pointz

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished watching Firefly. After watching the first half on my ipod touch, caught the second half on scifiHD. Loved every moment of it (perhaps apart from the pointless, tacked on Chinese swearing, but I'll let that slide).

My only real comment is - it ends just like that!? No season cliffhanger, no closure (yes I know, I've seen the movie too). What is its history? Did the producers get no warning that it was being cancelled, no chance to close it out? Did it actually finish its first season (its 13 episodes so sounds about right for a pilot season).

Its also shocking that it got cancelled. It has a great ensemble cast, fantastic chemistry between them, the basic conceit is solid, and there is at least the seed of a couple of character arcs that have to work themselves out (who/what is river, the Inara/Mal thing), and I'm sure they'd have added more in later seasons.

Did it bomb in the ratings? Is it your fault? (looking at you America :p )

Stargate seems to manage to keep going, so was there never a chance to get it on another channel?

I'm not grieving at the loss by any means - what there is is great, but it is surprising.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
watch SERENITY, mrklaw. it didn't end at the end of FIREFLY. SERENITY is the movie followup.

. . . though i'm not sure it will offer the greatest amount of closure either. but it certainly answers more questions, and is very very good.

edit: oops, you've seen it! my fault. glad you enjoyed it though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
icarus-daedelus said:
Firefly was originally ran out of order - The Train Job was aired as the first episode, the pilot as the last. The timeslot was Friday, ten-ish, which on a big four network is an instant kiss of death. I'd imagine it was too expensive for SciFi or something, because that network is incredibly cheap about giving even their flagship shows enough money. (SG-1 and BSG struggled against their budgets for years on end.) It has sold tons and tonnes and tons of DVDs, though, so I dunno why no network considered bringing it back.

I watched it in the right order. Both the itunes store and scifi UK had them in the 'correct' order. Can't imagine the two parter being shown last - how would that ever have made sense? I can buy River/the doc being on the ship immediately - you just play along and catch up. But then end the season by showing them coming on board!?

oh well, have way too much to watch at the moment anyway - Sanctuary next

gdt

Well, I'm on episode 13 of S2, and while it has gotten better I still have one major problem.

The emerging Tim and Lyla thing

I mean, I dont really like him all that much, especially with her. And this whole thing basically erases everything she went through with
Jason.

Oh well, at least I'm almost done with S2.

Dizzan

MINI Member
You can't watchthis on Hulu but Underbelly is pretty good for an Aussie drama. It is based on recent organised crime activity and is a pretty close representation of the real thing. The courts even had it banned from playing in the state where all the shit went down so as to not influence the cases on trial.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gdt5016 said:
Well, I'm on episode 13 of S2, and while it has gotten better I still have one major problem.

The emerging Tim and Lyla thing

I mean, I dont really like him all that much, especially with her. And this whole thing basically erases everything she went through with
Jason.

Oh well, at least I'm almost done with S2.

maybe it's because i'm the tim riggins apologist around here, but
i'm pretty okay with that relationship. additionally, with her religious interests, i think it makes a whole lot of sense; i knew guys like that in high school, and the hard-life dudes who were a little simple-minded eventually gave up being a hard-ass bully who'd throw a punch at the first sign of trouble and turned to religion.
i don't want to over-generalize or anything, mind you, but it's a social pattern which i've seen fairly often living in a small community.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
watched Clerks TAS. man that was terrible. not a single decent episode in the bunch.

also watched the pilot of the Sopranos. Wasn't that impressed by it, maybe it picks up later. I'm gonna keep watching anyway

Touchdown

Banned
LOST. Great3st show of all time. Love the characters, and the fact that I never know what the hell is going on. And just when I think I have something figured out, LOST tells me to go fuck myself. I wish someone would buy me the blu-ray dvds. I'm too poor :(.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gdt5016 said:
UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG

No FNL S3 online :(.

:(

T_T

i am not looking forward to not having FNL to watch.

isn't this show amazing, though? so glad i finally jumped on this bandwagon.

gdt

Well, I might have to do some naughty things to catch up to Hulu (its on S3.08). And the DVDs aren't out to mid-May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom