• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Spotless Mind said:
I'm hopeful that next season will deal with Matt coming to terms with moving on. It kind of came across as a weak ploy to keep him on the show on first viewing,
but his decision to stay soon sank in as a realistic spur of the moment reaction. I don't think it will stick.
If it does, i trust they'll deal with his decision thoughtfully and in a believable manner.

Saracen and the Taylor's have always been the heart of the show imo. I think it is good that they'll keep him around.

Yeah, I too feel that aside from the Taylors Saracen is the central character, as well as his relationship with Julie being #2 to the Taylor's.

I cant bear to see him leave. He's my favorite character for christsakes! Good thing is that they'll film the next 26eps together, so whoever we get next season we'll also get in the fifth (I hope).

And yes, that last line is specifically aimed at Saracen and Julie. <3<3<3<3<3<3

Costanza said:
I also loved him as Tim Whatley in Seinfeld.

Came in here to figure out what new TV I should check out and now I'm just going to be watching Seinfeld. But I guess the avatar is enough to make that happen.

Kastro

Banned
I don't get how people can skip an entire season of a show that has an ongoing storyline.. does not compute.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kastro said:
I don't get how people can skip an entire season of a show that has an ongoing storyline.. does not compute.

it's pretty nuts to me too. and it really doesn't fly with the second season of FNL, which, despite all the warnings of quality dips from people here, took a decided upturn at the end of the season. the transition from s.2 to s.3 was a little unsettling, but it's testament to how talented the writers and showrunners are that they actually rebounded from that hit and made everything make sense and seem natural within that first episode back.

finished the fifth episode of season 3 last night, and i agree that it's started much stronger than s.2. the storylines are down-to-earth and the conflicts are small but have massive emotional impact.

i think tyra's hair is ugly this season. anyone else agree?

also, just saw taylor kitsch is playing gambit in the new x-men movie, which i consider a career decision worthy of tim riggins's (albeit charming) stupidity.

Has anyone noticed how often pancakes were featured in this week's shows? Is this an in joke among tv writers or a bizarre coincidence?

Chuck - Pancakes was the excuse that Chuck's dad used when in order to walk away from his family. Later in the episode Captain Awesome makes Ellie pancakes in order to get their relationship back on track.

The Office - The Michael Scott Paper Company makes rectangular pancakes (which are so bad that even Creed does not want them :lol).

Parks and Recreation - After breaking her neck, Amy Poehler's character invites herself into Rashida Jones' character home and asks for pancakes.

Fringe - A throwaway line (or is it!?) about making pancakes in the beginning of the episode with Olivia, her sister and her niece.

hulu just got
key_art_sliders.jpg

and i don't remember that show at all besides that i liked it.
only season 1 is on there so far :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just started MAD MEN season 2 last night.

it's started much slower than the first season, two episodes deep. or maybe it just seems to lack the central conflicts that came about so quickly in season 1.

or maybe i'm coming off FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and i'm just more used to that cadence, or--not to knock MAD MEN or anything--expecting too much :lol

Ceres

Banned
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
hulu just got

and i don't remember that show at all besides that i liked it.
only season 1 is on there so far :D

I liked the first maybe 2 seasons but after awhile it got kind of stupid and I lost interest probably mid season 3. I can only take shows like this for so long if there never seems any real plan to end it smoothly. The revolving cast for the last 2 seasons made any desire to ever check it out again nonexistent.

Timbuktu

beelzebozo said:
just started MAD MEN season 2 last night.

it's started much slower than the first season, two episodes deep. or maybe it just seems to lack the central conflicts that came about so quickly in season 1.

or maybe i'm coming off FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and i'm just more used to that cadence, or--not to knock MAD MEN or anything--expecting too much :lol

I never cared for the central characters in Mad Men quite as much, felt the same with The Sopranos at times. It's a good show, interesting, but at the same time a bit more distant, like the writers are speaking in metaphors all the time and none of the characters can ever be genuine like FNL.

I finished the first season of

spaced.jpg

Spaced

the other night and plan to finish season 2 soon. So sad there's only 12 or 13 episodes of this show. It's so funny and really does a good job with balancing the character stuff with the geeky humor.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Finally started watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. The comparisons to Seinfeld and AD are quite apt-- this show is so good! Charlie is such a great character, brilliantly acted.

Cronen

Just finished watching the fourth season of The Wire. It's incredible, and you should all watch it. Shall be starting the final season very soon and I can't wait!

Finished the final season of Everwood. What a truly lovely, under-appreciated show. Despite being cancelled, the final episode seemed to wrap things up pretty nicely and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cronen said:
Just finished watching the fourth season of The Wire. It's incredible, and you should all watch it. Shall be starting the final season very soon and I can't wait!

the fourth season is so heart wrenching. THE WIRE is a show that routinely to that point focused on people who were victims of a system and circumstances larger than them; that the fourth season showcases how that very system also systematically screws up the lives and minds of kids just makes it all the more powerful and sad.

gdt

Just got my FNL S1 set, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend.

Edit: And my S2 set should be here tomorrow. Too bad the S3 set come out in a month :(.

Yasser

Ford Prefect said:
Finally started watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. The comparisons to Seinfeld and AD are quite apt-- this show is so good! Charlie is such a great character, brilliantly acted.
yeah, season 1 of this is excellent throughout. it gets a little inconsistent later but still very entertaining

Cornballer said:
A couple notes....

- Breaking Bad continues to impress this season. Those of you who haven't seen it yet should give it a shot. We're still only 12(?) episodes into the series, so it wouldn't take much to catch up. The writing, acting, and production are top notch. It's the best thing I'm currently watching.

I just got the first season I have only been hearing great things about it I can't wait to start.

I also just started watching Friday Night Lights(first season) show is pretty great stuff so far.

gdt

In addition to my FNL DVD's that are here I just ordered Dexter S1 and S2. Cant wait to rewatch all this stuff.

Currently rewatching 24 S3, then 4, and finally 5 BTW.

I finally got a chance to finish up S2 of FNL this week. Overall it was a good season that didn't come close to equaling S1. I enjoyed all of it aside from a few weak plotlines. Seemed like it ended somewhat abruptly, which I assume was due to the writer's strike? In any case, I'm looking forward to checking out S3 when it's out on DVD next month.

Blader

I finished season 1 of Breaking Bad. I am of two minds about it.

On the one hand, Bryan Cranston is fucking fantastic and every second that he's on screen is totally engrossing. On the other hand, I pretty much hate every other character (except for maybe the DEA brother-in-law) and find every second without Cranston to be unbearable.

Costanza

Banned
Blader5489 said:

On the one hand, Bryan Cranston is fucking fantastic and every second that he's on screen is totally engrossing. On the other hand, I pretty much hate every other character (except for maybe the DEA brother-in-law) and find every second without Cranston to be unbearable.
You don't like Jesse Pinkman? wtf

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Blader5489 said:

your review pretty much sums up my feelings on the couple of episodes i watched. something about it is just completely unpleasant. i was more than happy to switch to something else (i think i abandoned it for DEADWOOD, which is funny when you consider one of the chief complaints about BREAKING BAD is unlikeable characters :lol )

Core407

Banned
Blader5489 said:

How? If anything, Walters DEA brother-in-law is like the least like able character in season one. He comes off as as shallow but luckily they begin remedying that in season 2. Anyways, show is awesome - some of the best acting on TV today.

gdt

Cornballer said:
I finally got a chance to finish up S2 of FNL this week. Overall it was a good season that didn't come close to equaling S1. I enjoyed all of it aside from a few weak plotlines. Seemed like it ended somewhat abruptly, which I assume was due to the writer's strike? In any case, I'm looking forward to checking out S3 when it's out on DVD next month.

Just so you know

S3 is one of the best seasons of any show, ever (if you like the show of course). But the DVD for S3 has a couple of things.

They have the NBC 42-ish minutes versions of the episodes instead of the original Direct-Tv cuts. The NBC versions are shorter and have different music selections than the originals. You might...want...to... find a way to see those original versions.

gdt

beelzebozo said:
i wonder what they cut out?

or maybe they just sped up saracen's dialogues to the cadence of a normal person

If they did that the episodes would be 20 minutes long.

<3 Saracen

Blader5489 said:
On the other hand, I pretty much hate every other character (except for maybe the DEA brother-in-law) and find every second without Cranston to be unbearable.
They address a lot of that in S2. That being said, I agree with beelzebozo's point about the show being "unpleasant." It's extremely tough to watch at times, and I can understand how it's not for everyone. I love it, but I'm not surprised to hear that some people don't like it.
gdt5016 said:
They have the NBC 42-ish minutes versions of the episodes instead of the original Direct-Tv cuts. The NBC versions are shorter and have different music selections than the originals. You might...want...to... find a way to see those original versions.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that.

gdt

Cornballer said:
They address a lot of that in S2. That being said, I agree with beelzebozo's point about the show being "unpleasant." It's extremely tough to watch at times, and I can understand how it's not for everyone. I love it, but I'm not surprised to hear that some people don't like it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that.

Dont skimp out on buying the S3 DVD's though!

Chemo

Costanza said:
Watched the first 2 episodes of Supernatural yesterday. Better than I was expecting.
THANK YOU for jumping in. It gets really, really fantastic. (Season 2 is the best, I think, but it's consistently awesome through 3 and the current fourth season as well.)

gdt

Got my Dexter S1/2 in the mail today, thank you Amazon! So damn fast.

BTW Dexter S1 and 2 are $20 each on Amazon, plus with free shipping. I'll probably start it tonight.

Have you seen Dexter before? I you haven't, enjoy S1 - it's excellent.

Amazon is super fast. I ordered a spare set of Chuck dvd's yesterday and they arrived this morning.

gdt

Cornballer said:
Have you seen Dexter before? I you haven't, enjoy S1 - it's excellent.

Amazon is super fast. I ordered a spare set of Chuck dvd's yesterday and they arrived this morning.

Yeah, I'm all caught up. I saw S1 and S2 a couple of months before S3 started. But I barely remember any of it, it's all a blur. I do remember S1 being stronger than 2, though 3 was better than both. Too bad theres no date for the S3 sets yet.

I need to catch up on S3 at some point. I watched the first few episodes on demand when I was getting free Showtime, but that gravy train ran out.

So I started renting Supernatural. First season was kinda slow for me until the end but season two has been a lot more interesting, looks like the show is starting to gain momentum with a more clear season long arc.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Phntmbanana said:
Kids in the Hall

i love KIDS IN THE HALL, but generally i find it to be extremely spotty with the funny. one segment will have me rolling, and i'll quote it for years, but then the next is so unbearable i almost have to look away. i wonder how canadians react to it; are they playing to some particular canadian humor sensibilities (much like the notorious "dry" british humor, or some canadian equivalent) that i'm just not tuned into?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thinking broadly about LOST, i have to say that it's easy for me to forget just how far the show has come conceptually since i first began watching it. the shift into complete sci-fi time-traveling island-moving insanity was so gradual over the seasons as new supernatural elements were introduced that i look back what i thought the show was all about prior to actually watching it--a television serial version of CAST AWAY--and what it has actually become, and it's just baffling.

baffling in a very awesome way, but baffling.

the only thing i really miss from older seasons is my attachment to jack. in those first three seasons, as the typical sort of wet blanket, "by the book" guy, i really related to him, and i understood that his motives were mostly good; i felt for him when things went sour with his wife; i was stunned and crushed at the end of season 3 to see what he'd become.

still, LOST is so great. i can't wait until it's all said and done and i can sit down with all the dvds and just watch it straight through, maybe with someone who has never seen it before, and can be as surprised by where it so bravely goes as i have been.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
thinking broadly about LOST, i have to say that it's easy for me to forget just how far the show has come conceptually since i first began watching it. the shift into complete sci-fi time-traveling island-moving insanity was so gradual over the seasons as new supernatural elements were introduced that i look back what i thought the show was all about prior to actually watching it--a television serial version of CAST AWAY--and what it has actually become, and it's just baffling.

But the real question is whether or not what it has become is better than what it started out as. Up through S4 Id probably say yes, but S5 has me longing for S1.

gdt

While I do miss the quiet character moments of LOST's past, I do think that S5 is (so far, of course) the best season so far. Hopefully they'll find a way to stuff more character moments next year (which they'll have to).

On another note:

Are the version of FNL S1 and S2 episodes on DVD any different from the Hulu versions? If you guys don't know, where could I find that out?

gdt

gdt5016 said:
While I do miss the quiet character moments of LOST's past, I do think that S5 is (so far, of course) the best season so far. Hopefully they'll find a way to stuff more character moments next year (which they'll have to).

On another note:

Are the version of FNL S1 and S2 episodes on DVD any different from the Hulu versions? If you guys don't know, where could I find that out?

Any help for me? I'll give you a handski.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
But the real question is whether or not what it has become is better than what it started out as. Up through S4 Id probably say yes, but S5 has me longing for S1.

just my personal opinion of course, but my feelings on the show seem to jibe with yours quite a bit. it's turned into a completely different show, and though i stayed pretty neutral about it up there, remembering that emotional resonance of season 1 & the end of season 3 (these points in particular stand out for me) really does make me a little nostalgic for when the show hadn't spiraled out of control into this time travel loop. there were coincidences that happened back then, but they weren't so convoluted and unbelievable as to suggest fatalism. maybe in this case it's not fatalism, and we'll eventually see that the puppetmaster(s) pulling the strings are people who have come from the future to the past and are engineering events to try and save people or stop things from happening, but watching it on screen is nonetheless leaving me very emotionally distant from people i once felt very close to and intimate with as characters (jack being the most prominent).

it's still enjoyable. just not as tailored to my tastes as it once was.

gdt5016 said:
Any help for me? I'll give you a handski.

just a stab in the dark here, but my educated guess is that the answer is no, there's no difference. the hulu versions are probably the versions that aired on nbc, and i doubt--beyond some deleted scenes--that these were extended or cut in any meaningful way.

Buttchin

Im watching the old Scifi show
the invisible man via hulu...

watching mostly cause when it was actually being aired around 2000 i loved the show. I still do and i honestly wasnt expecting that.

(well with the stipulation being the ones i;ve watched so far in S1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom