• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

I'm about 5 or 6 episodes into True Blood and really liking it. It's funnier than I expected and the characters are great.
I almost feel like it's a bit aimless though, but maybe that will change as the season progresses.

TheOddOne

pringles said:
I'm about 5 or 6 episodes into True Blood and really liking it. It's funnier than I expected and the characters are great.
I almost feel like it's a bit aimless though, but maybe that will change as the season progresses.

I bailed out after season 1. Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer annoyed the fuck out of me.

Me and my wife have been watching Bones. Pretty enjoyable. I am glad that we found something that we both like:) She was never a fan of 24 or BSG:)

Ceres said:
I kind of hope that one day Apatow will get the entire gang back together for one movie even if it's not a true sequel to the tv show.
Right now I can almost see Jason Segel's character in I Love You Man being the future Nick.
I would be all for that. After I watched the series I read about it online and didn't realize that Jason Segel and the girl that played Lindsey dated for 4 or 5 years after the show. Supposedly it wasn't a good break-up (it's hard to say because in all the interviews with Jason Segel it is hard to tell if he is bitter about it or merely joking).

So I'm not sure how much that plays into how much the cast of Freaks and Geeks would get along currently. If not for some potential hurt feelings and bad blood, I couldn't imagine anyone from that show not jumping at the occasion to work with Apatow and the rest of the F&G gang. I believe it was Franco that said that working on the show is still one of the better times he ever had acting.

One can only hope...

Spire said:
Not nearly enough people in this thread watching The Shield or Breaking Bad. Come on people! These are the essentials, stop pissing around with Entourage and shit and get to the quality.
I'm two episodes into the second season of Mad Men, and loved The Wire, Rome, and Band of Brothers. Entourage is really just a guilty pleasure of sorts. Breaking Bad is definitely on my radar, but I recently picked up the first seasons of The West Wing and The Sopranos.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
started watching burn notice during a marathon, love that show now.
Been watching old entourage while I wait for my season 5 discs to get here from netflicks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the first season of Mad Men. Incredible. Well, apart from
Peggy's pregnancy reveal. How could she not have known? Okay, she's very naive when it comes to certain aspects of life, but still. The only plausible explanation is that she knew, but was in extreme denial and just wouldn't accept it. Still, the whole reveal was kinda clunky.

That's been my only real issue so far. Going to start season 2 now

Couple TV news tidbits

- Madmen S3 photos
- FX picked up "Lawman" starring Timothy Olyphant based on an Elmore Leonard character. 13 episodes starting up Spring 2010. Will watch.
Olyphant stars in the lead role of U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens. Givens is a modern day 19th century-style lawman, enforcing his brand of justice in a way that puts a target on his back with criminals and places him at odds with his bosses in the Marshal service. That conflict results in a reassignment for Givens to the U.S. District covering the town where he grew up. He is an anachronism - a tough, soft spoken gentleman who finds his quarry fascinating, but never gives an inch. Dig under his placid skin and you'll find an angry man who grew up hard in rural Kentucky, with an outlaw father, who knows a lot more about who he doesn't want to be than who he really is.

beelzebozo said:
now this looks like me.
Nice.

Memles

Darunia said:
Finished the first season of Mad Men. Incredible. Well, apart from
Peggy's pregnancy reveal. How could she not have known? Okay, she's very naive when it comes to certain aspects of life, but still. The only plausible explanation is that she knew, but was in extreme denial and just wouldn't accept it. Still, the whole reveal was kinda clunky.

That's been my only real issue so far. Going to start season 2 now

Those are all legitimate reactions, but count me amongst those who was pleased with how it was handled in Season Two.

Bishman

RadioHeadAche said:
I wouldn't bother with the following seasons. They made me hate the show, and I really enjoyed the first season.
LOL... I am 2 episodes deep into season 2.

mosaic said:
If you skip Season 2, you'll probably segue into 3 without missing too much and continuing thinking it's mega-awesome stuff.

If you watch Season 2. . . just keep the faith...
Are you sure I won't miss anything important story wise? I feel that they set the bar so high with the first season of Heroes that it would be tough to outdo. I guess I'll skip straight into season 3.

GAF recommend me some good shows. I like Heroes, Nip / Tuck, and Smallville.

Ceres

Banned
Bishman said:
LOL... I am 2 episodes deep into season 2.

Are you sure I won't miss anything important story wise? I feel that they set the bar so high with the first season of Heroes that it would be tough to outdo. I guess I'll skip straight into season 3.

GAF recommend me some good shows. I like Heroes, Nip / Tuck, and Smallville.

Outside of the one cliffhanger from the end of season 2 that immediately is brought to an end 20 min into the first episode of season 3, there's very little hold over. Any character introduced in s2 has no lasting effect on the show. Season 2 erases practically everything that happened in s1 while s3 pretty much conveniently forgets everything that happened in s2. Of course, it also conveniently forgets storylines they started developing only a couple of episodes previously.
Personally, I'd say don't bother with s2 or s3. Enjoy season 1 for what it was and never deal with the bullshit that is the next two seasons. Maybe change your mind if s4 manages to actually bring back some semblance of good TV.
I didn't even originally hate s2 when it aired. I didn't like it a whole lot either but time has kind of just soured everything since s1.

Maybe check out Supernatural. I've never watched it but it seems like a good show for people who enjoy Smallville.

Eagle 209

Banned
Memles said:
As for TV I've been watching, recently went through Band of Brothers for the first time. Although I don't have a real affinity for war stories, it was mighty compelling.

Love band of brothers. Its made even better by the fact that it actually connects you the men that really LIVED the story. I pulled out last week and rewatched it. Loved it all the way through again.

darkiguana said:
Me and my wife have been watching Bones. Pretty enjoyable.

Also really like this one. I have 3 seasons on DVD and have watched them several times through. This show always makes me wonder how many bodies have been discarded by murderes and never found and never had a Dr. Brennan to discover that they were murdered. How many murderers get away without anyone even knowing that a crime was commited?

Medalion

Banned
OF the current gen shows that are still on the air...

I regularly watch HOUSE, Smallville, Curb your Enthusiasm, and Dollhouse... the latter being the newest addition to my arsenal.

Other than that. I watch a lot of DVD season sets of old shows... I don't watch actual TV anymore... I download shows off torrents for their HD rips.

Duardo

Neo Member
I just finished watched Season 2 of Dexter last night. I liked the first season a bit more, because
this season I was really annoyed by Lila. Doakes finding out Dexter was the Butcher was pretty sweet, and I was kinda sad that he won't be a part of the series anymore, though he was an asshole most of the time
. Anyways, I hope to start Season 3 soon :)

Meliorism

Spotless Mind said:
I'm onto season 4 of The Wire... goddamn fucking incredible. Best character writing in a TV show bar none. Best TV show ever? Yeah, i think so.

I also got my mum, dad and brother hooked and watching it due to my incessant praise. Most of our conversations have been The Wire related for the last few weeks. :lol Hopefully i can get my sister watching it at a later date.

It really is. I would never be able to get my family to watch it, though.

I don't think I wanna start anything heavy, so I'll either start a comedy or a really short drama. I haven't seen Band of Brothers, so I might do that.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Watched Rome S1 and S2, Band of Brothers, all of the Sopranos, Veronica Mars, Scrubs, Entourage, The Wire S1&2, Battlestar Galactica, FNL and Chuck over the last year. (With the sopranos over the last few years)
What should I watch next? I know most of you will recommend the rest of the Wire but though I could see it's brilliance (like the fuck, fuck, fuck me scene) I constanly found myself not giving a shit what happend to the characters and being annoyed by some of them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Brian Fellows said:
Have you seen Party Down? He's hilarious in that too.

yes! he's my favorite part of PARTY DOWN.

unfortunately i'm not a big fan of FREAKS AND GEEKS though :/

Cabaratier said:
Watched Rome S1 and S2, Band of Brothers, all of the Sopranos, Veronica Mars, Scrubs, Entourage, The Wire S1&2, Battlestar Galactica, FNL and Chuck over the last year. (With the sopranos over the last few years)
What should I watch next? I know most of you will recommend the rest of the Wire but though I could see it's brilliance (like the fuck, fuck, fuck me scene) I constanly found myself not giving a shit what happend to the characters and being annoyed by some of them.

maybe if you liked VERONICA MARS, you'd enjoy PARTY DOWN. it's on netflix stream instantly.

i'd also recommend BREAKING BAD. i'm four episodes deep in the second season and it's extremely compelling television. don't let the pilot dissuade you--i stalled there for about six months before giving the next two episodes a chance and loving the shit out of it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Recently:

John from Cincinnati - I loved this way too much. So of course, like Carnivale before it, HBO canned it. The second half of the season got a little clumsy, and it was disappointing when Bruce Greenwood disappeared for a while, but all in all, great little series. Thankfully it can kinda stand on its own, even though there was obviously much more story to tell, there was open-ended temporary closure.

Breaking Bad: Season 1 - Really good stuff, looking forwarding to season 2.

State of Play miniseries - Holy crap, this was amazing. So tense, dense, and completely respectful of audience intelligence. 1000 times more than the Hollywood movie seemed to be, from the trailers at least, with all those corny one-liners. I love the way they drop details and expect you to be as smart as the smart journalists to figure out when you've heard something key.

I'm starting Battlestar Galactica tomorrow. That's my new project.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I finally got round to watching Dirty Sexy Money season 2. (well, first 4 episodes).

Seriously why was this show cancnelled?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Dan said:
I'm starting Battlestar Galactica tomorrow. That's my new project.

i don't know what's up with me and this show. i finished the first season and loved it, but i stalled in season 2 when the spiritual themes became much more prevalent. i guess i just have an aversion to that sort of thing.

so to sum up my feelings on bsg: it was awesome, then it wasn't

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
beelzebozo said:
i don't know what's up with me and this show. i finished the first season and loved it, but i stalled in season 2 when the spiritual themes became much more prevalent. i guess i just have an aversion to that sort of thing.

I lost interest with the Scar episode. Shit just got all random and stupid all of sudden. Thats what happens when you take a tightly paced show and try to stretch it out.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
beelzebozo said:

Heh i didn't think it became prevalent in the second season at all, it undeniably does in the third and forth season though. So you'll probably dislike those seasons.

Brian Fellows said:
I lost interest with the Scar episode. Shit just got all random and stupid all of sudden. Thats what happens when you take a tightly paced show and try to stretch it out.
:( you really should pick up the show again, that is one of the WORST episodes of BSG, but the episodes that follow after that are pretty awesome.

near

Gold Member
Just finished the second season of LOST, and oh my God, I've been missing out big time! Starting season 3 tonight, and hopefully get through season 4 & 5 before the series finale airs. :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Near said:
Just finished the second season of LOST, and oh my God, I've been missing out big time! Starting season 3 tonight, and hopefully get through season 4 & 5 before the series finale airs. :p

it has its critics, but i think season 3 is so ACE. the finale is some of the most affecting television i've ever seen.

Cronen

I finished House Season 4 last night. The two part finale was excellent, and was really emotional.

I'm almost close to finishing Pushing Daisies as well.

I've seen all of The Wire and Scrubs, Seasons 1-5 of Lost, Seasons 1-6 of 24, and I'm up to date with Dexter. I'm going to wait for the DVDs of 24 Season 7 and House Season 5 to come out before I watch them. On that note, what would you recommend I start to watch next GAF? I've been told BSG is worth getting in to.

gdt

beelzebozo said:
it has its critics, but i think season 3 is so ACE. the finale is some of the most affecting television i've ever seen.

Hell YES.

I'm not even bugged (that much) by the first couple of episodes. In fact, the first episode of S3, A Tale of Two Cities, is probably in my top ten.

And of course, the finale is on the short list for greatest episode of TV ever.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gdt5016 said:
And of course, the finale is on the short list for greatest episode of TV ever.

this is a fun idea. i'm going to try and come up with a list of ten of my favorite episodes of my favorite shows (though i don't think i can order them)

gdt

beelzebozo said:
this is a fun idea. i'm going to try and come up with a list of ten of my favorite episodes of my favorite shows (though i don't think i can order them)

You motherfucker.

Solo

beelzebozo said:

Its actually easier than you think.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my top ten: (unless i forgot something)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“necessary evil” – DEEP SPACE NINE. odo has always been one of my favorite characters on ds9, and getting the opportunity to see a lot of his back story was really great. any favorite ep of ds9 must also include gul dukat, and he's definitely here. had a little trouble choosing between this and the garak-centric episode "the wire."

“through the looking glass, pts. 1 & 2” – LOST.
"we have to go back, kate. we have to go back!"
'nuff said.

“adelle coffin” – NIP/TUCK. most emotionally affecting portrayal of suicide ever, and the best use of “rocket man”

“final grades” – THE WIRE. finale of season 4. so many things come to a head here, and the resolution of the storylines of all the kids just kills me. season finales of THE WIRE always invoke mixed emotions, but this one tears me apart.

“the wheel” – MAD MEN season 1 finale. includes the scene in which betty confides in the young boy from next door, and also don’s realization through his description of the carousel slide projector how much his family really means to him.

“bad blood” – X-FILES meets rashomon. luke wilson and the fat red headed kid from the sandlot guest star, and the episode is hilarious. mulder tells his side; scully tells hers; hilarity ensues. the opening alone will crack you up and immediately endear it to you.

“bart’s friend falls in love” – SIMPSONS. the third season is my favorite, and this is my favorite from that season. the good morning burger and homer’s subliminal weight loss tape alone put it over the top.

“fear of a bot planet” – FUTURAMA. “which of the following would you most prefer: a, a puppy, b, a flower from your sweety, or c, a large properly formatted data file?”
“is the puppy robotic?”
“no. it is the bad kind.”
“then we’ll go with that data file.”
“correct.”
“the flower would also have been acceptable.”

husky bobby - KING OF THE HILL. the moment when hank drags bobby away from the catwalk of the fashion show. pay attention to that. YES. everything that's funny about KING OF THE HILL in one ten second sequence.

pier pressure - ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. and that's why you always leave a note.

Amory

1) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I love it. It's the funniest show I've seen since Arrested Development, though obviously in a very different way.

2) Trailer Park Boys

Also awesome, also funny.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“necessary evil” – DEEP SPACE NINE. odo has always been one of my favorite characters on ds9, and getting the opportunity to see a lot of his back story was really great. any favorite ep of ds9 must also include gul dukat, and he's definitely here. had a little trouble choosing between this and the garak-centric episode "the wire."

“through the looking glass, pts. 1 & 2” – LOST.
"we have to go back, kate. we have to go back!"
'nuff said.

“adelle coffin” – NIP/TUCK. most emotionally affecting portrayal of suicide ever, and the best use of “rocket man”

“final grades” – THE WIRE. finale of season 4. so many things come to a head here, and the resolution of the storylines of all the kids just kills me. season finales of THE WIRE always invoke mixed emotions, but this one tears me apart.

“the wheel” – MAD MEN season 1 finale. includes the scene in which betty confides in the young boy from next door, and also don’s realization through his description of the carousel slide projector how much his family really means to him.

“bad blood” – X-FILES meets rashomon. luke wilson and the fat red headed kid from the sandlot guest star, and the episode is hilarious. mulder tells his side; scully tells hers; hilarity ensues. the opening alone will crack you up and immediately endear it to you.

“bart’s friend falls in love” – SIMPSONS. the third season is my favorite, and this is my favorite from that season. the good morning burger and homer’s subliminal weight loss tape alone put it over the top.

“fear of a bot planet” – FUTURAMA. “which of the following would you most prefer: a, a puppy, b, a flower from your sweety, or c, a large properly formatted data file?”
“is the puppy robotic?”
“no. it is the bad kind.”
“then we’ll go with that data file.”
“correct.”
“the flower would also have been acceptable.”

husky bobby - KING OF THE HILL. the moment when hank drags bobby away from the catwalk of the fashion show. pay attention to that. YES. everything that's funny about KING OF THE HILL in one ten second sequence.

pier pressure - ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. and that's why you always leave a note.

Alphabetical order:

Chuck – Chuck Vs. The Colonel
Everything that makes the show fantastic compressed into one finely tuned episode, which literally showcases the very best of everything the show has done so far.
Dexter – Born Free
The conclusion to the wonderful first season of the show; the resolution between Dexter and Brian is unforgettable.
Friday Night Lights – Pilot
Fantastic pilot that basically distills the two hour film into a surprisingly superior 40 minute television program.
LOST – Through The Looking Glass
Represented a major turn in the show’s direction; while I don’t agree with a lot of what they’ve done since, it in no way diminishes the quality of this episode.
LOST - Walkabout
My favourite episode of the show, and the first big mindfuck in LOST history, the one that made you realize you were watching something special.
Miami Vice - Brother's Keeper
Probably the best pilot ever; includes the iconic “In The Air Tonight” montage.
Seinfeld – The Contest
An episode so legendary it has spawned GAF copycats.
24 – Day One: 11:00 – Midnight
The tragic end to Jack’s day from hell; kudos to the creative team for not copping out.
24 – Day Two: 10:00PM – 11:00PM
The death of George Mason in triumphantly heroic fashion.
Veronica Mars – A Trip To The Dentist
The penultimate episode of the sublime first season in which we finally get answers/revelations to many of the lingering questions surrounding the season long arc.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
really nice list, man. leaving off VERONICA MARS was really tough, and i outright forgot FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. i should be flogged.

Solo said:
Its actually easier than you think.
Not for me. I can AGREE with ones that people post, but most television shows just blend together for me. That, or I could pick arbitrarily from a multitude of episodes as the best. And I don't remember episode names anyway.

Brian Fellows said:
Have you seen Party Down? He's hilarious in that too.
Definitely. My favorite bit was him talking to Cramsey at the Porno Awards about sci-fi and fantasy. He just pauses for a second and thinks about it before losing his shit. Hilarious.
beelzebozo said:
i'd also recommend BREAKING BAD. i'm four episodes deep in the second season and it's extremely compelling television. don't let the pilot dissuade you--i stalled there for about six months before giving the next two episodes a chance and loving the shit out of it.
Just wait for S2. Season 1 is a little uneven and cut short by the writer's strike, but S2 is top notch television.
CajoleJuice said:
Not for me. I can AGREE with ones that people post, but most television shows just blend together for me. That, or I could pick arbitrarily from a multitude of episodes as the best.
Same for me. There are a few here and there that I could list, but in general it'd be easier to identify overall arcs that I like rather than individual episodes. Nonetheless, I might take a crack at it if I have a chance. Great picks by beelze and Solo, btw.
Dan said:
John from Cincinnati - I loved this way too much. So of course, like Carnivale before it, HBO canned it. The second half of the season got a little clumsy, and it was disappointing when Bruce Greenwood disappeared for a while, but all in all, great little series. Thankfully it can kinda stand on its own, even though there was obviously much more story to tell, there was open-ended temporary closure.
Such an odd little show with some great acting and memorable moments, but I end up scratching my head when examining it as a whole. I love the cast, but it reminds me of experimental theater or something like that. It's just so far out there.
State of Play miniseries - Holy crap, this was amazing. So tense, dense, and completely respectful of audience intelligence. 1000 times more than the Hollywood movie seemed to be, from the trailers at least, with all those corny one-liners. I love the way they drop details and expect you to be as smart as the smart journalists to figure out when you've heard something key.
Great miniseries and highly recommended. I never watched the Hollywood film version.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cornballer said:
Definitely. My favorite bit was him talking to Cramsey at the Porno Awards about sci-fi and fantasy. He just pauses for a second and thinks about it before losing his shit. Hilarious.

just couldn't help himself, could he :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cornballer said:

Also my favorite part.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Lafiel said:
:( you really should pick up the show again, that is one of the WORST episodes of BSG, but the episodes that follow after that are pretty awesome.

I didnt stop watching there. Thats just where I started to lose faith. I made it 7 or 8 episodes into season 3 before giving up for good.

beelzebozo said:

You could've chosen better, I think. Yeah, Necessary Evil was a good episode, but it was no "The Wire," "Duet," "The Visitor," "Far Beyond the Stars," "In the Pale Moonlight," "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges," "Hard Time," etc.

Bashir: "Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which weren't?"
Garak: "My dear doctor, they're all true."
Bashir: "Even the lies?"
Garak: "Especially the lies."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom