• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DVR backlog includes 3 episodes (each) of Dexter, Californication, Fringe, and Flashforward from the past few weeks. Any advice on how I should prioritize those?

gdt

Cornballer said:
My DVR backlog includes 3 episodes (each) of Dexter, Californication, Fringe, and Flashforward from the past few weeks. Any advice on how I should prioritize those?

Sprinkle those FF episodes in---don't watch them straight. The show hasn't had a genuingly good episode yet. It's riddled with problems.

The rest is good stuff.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I finished the third and final season of Showtime's Brotherhood last week. It bothered me right from the start that the show went so unnoticed during its run, and presumably as a result, it was canceled, but thankfully the writers had enough warning to wrap things up: the somewhat open-ended finale could've just as easily been a season closer, but works equally well as the completion of a cycle of devastating, heartbreaking and seemingly inevitable events.

For the uninitiated, the show revolved around two Irish-American brothers in Rhode Island, one a politician and the other a burgeoning mobster. The storylines often followed similar themes and arcs as the Sopranos, and perhaps it simply got overlooked in the wake of that series' landmark final season, but I think Brotherhood is every bit as good, if not better at times -- any one of the main actors deserved Emmy nominations, and while the second season took some [undeserved] flack for reducing the role of Michael and introducing a cousin, the writing remained sharp, compelling and realistic.

It's a fairly brief show to get involved with (less than 30 episodes total) and I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone looking to fill a void left after going through other crime-dramas like the Shield, Sopranos or the Wire.

gdt5016 said:
Sprinkle those FF episodes in---don't watch them straight. The show hasn't had a genuingly good episode yet. It's riddled with problems.
If that's the case, I might just wait for dvd's on that one. I haven't heard a lot of good things about it yet.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Getting near the end of Dexter season 2 and holy shit its good. Its blowing season 1 away in every way. Seasons 3 and 4 are going to have their work cut out for them.

Coop

okay, that's it. too long have i stood on the sidelines of AVATAR. going to try and find the first season dvd today.

It's good, I was reclucant because it was on Nick but it exceeded my expectations a lot. Speaking of...

I finished Avatar a couple days ago. The third season started off slow (the episode at the beach was awful) but it really picks up near the middle. I do have to say the recap episode was absolutely hilarious. So many great moments in that episode. HONOR!, Katara (IT JUST GAVE ME SO MUCH HOPE!), great divide joke (episode was bad),
Jet's death
,etc.

Overall it's probably my favorite animated series. I was kind of disappointment with the finale, but it was good overall. I do have one major complaint about season 3.. WHERE WAS IROH!? He's in like 4 episodes.

Up next Sons of Anarchy... I might start that in 10 minutes because I have a couple of hours to kill.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Brian Fellows said:
Getting near the end of Dexter season 2 and holy shit its good. Its blowing season 1 away in every way. Seasons 3 and 4 are going to have their work cut out for them.

FRANK LUNDY

Zeliard

So I'm currently on Season 5 of The Shield.

.... Forest Whitaker is one crazy motherfucker.

Can't wait till the "Kavanaugh" episode, which I'm about 2 or 3 eps from. Heard that it's one of the series' premiere episodes, if not the best one.

adg1034

Coop said:
It's good, I was reclucant because it was on Nick but it exceeded my expectations a lot. Speaking of...

I finished Avatar a couple days ago. The third season started off slow (the episode at the beach was awful) but it really picks up near the middle. I do have to say the recap episode was absolutely hilarious. So many great moments in that episode. HONOR!, Katara (IT JUST GAVE ME SO MUCH HOPE!), great divide joke (episode was bad),
Jet's death
,etc.

Overall it's probably my favorite animated series. I was kind of disappointment with the finale, but it was good overall. I do have one major complaint about season 3.. WHERE WAS IROH!? He's in like 4 episodes.

Up next Sons of Anarchy... I might start that in 10 minutes because I have a couple of hours to kill.

Voice actor died. His replacement was perfectly serviceable, but I guess they felt that Iroh without Mako was really no Iroh at all.

Zeliard said:
So I'm currently on Season 5 of The Shield.

.... Forest Whitaker is one crazy motherfucker.

Can't wait till the "Kavanaugh" episode, which I'm about 2 or 3 eps from. Heard that it's one of the series' premiere episodes, if not the best one.

"Kavanaugh" sets a timer that will tick until last episode. Believe me that last one is going to make your jaw drop

Brian Fellows said:
I just realized it was the same actor that played Wild Bill in Deadwood.
Whoa. I had no idea.

keith-carradine-1.jpg

I've ordered Chuck on Netflix, should be in today or tomorrow. Never seen an episode (Unless you count having one of the earlier episodes on in the background while on the computer)!

Watched Season 3 of 30 Rock a few days ago out of boredom on Netflix and I loved it. Finished up that season and am going through Seasons 1 and 2 now.

NimbusD

Just got into Doctor Who. Finishing up the second season now. Dum da Dum... looking for a new show, preferably serialized and sci fi ish if anyone has any suggestions. As far as sci fi goes all I've ever really gotten into has been BSG and I loved it.

gdt

NimbusD said:
Just got into Doctor Who. Finishing up the second season now. Dum da Dum... looking for a new show, preferably serialized and sci fi ish if anyone has any suggestions. As far as sci fi goes all I've ever really gotten into has been BSG and I loved it.

Babylon 5. Just chug through S1 and you'll be good.

NimbusD said:
DS9 and B5.

NimbusD said:
If you want highly imaginative and, at times, completely bizarre sci-fi, i'd go with Farscape. It starts off standalone-ish, but becomes serialized to a degree by the end of season 1 and delivers some of the most satisfying story arcs i've watched. It's rather Buffy/Doctor Who-esque in its weaving of story arcs and standalone episodes.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Someone posted about Avatar so I guess I won't be ridiculed for talking about anime here...

Anyway, I just finished watching Black Lagoon, which is an anime about a blackmarket delivery company based in Sri Lanka (I think?), so pirates basically.
The opening is pretty cool, it has that usual anime thing of being cut as a music video with karaoke overlay. The song is in English and the vocalist is pretty fucking terrible, but the visuals and lyrics build up the backstory very well with pictures of guns being fired in that slo-mo CGI way and dirty-ass streets and lyrics about how everyone's fucked you over so you fuck 'em harder etc. Sounds pretty dumb, but it really does build a good anticipation for what you expect the characters to be. The outro is also pretty good at doing this.

The show is decidedly Japanese, like you'd expect, and you can tell that it fits cleanly in with other Japanese cartoons geared at teenage boys, but it does have a charm that most others don't in that most of the cast is female and quite skilled at what they do (mostly shooting and running gangs) - although they often seem quite derivative of male fantasies in character design (nun outfit, school girl outfit, maid outfit, etc.).

The dialog, which in Japanese shows often tend to be horribly obtuse, is quite good. It's not like they expect the viewer to keep up enough for me to say that it seems aimed at an older crowd, but there are certain things that often just hinted at and never explicitly stated.
As per usual the protagonist is a rookie and screams about his morals being violated and crying about his lack of experience/skill at every turn, but it doesn't get overbearing like in most animes that use this trope. There are characters that are said to have been molested as children for instance, and the show doesn't go bananas about how fucked up that is, adding some sense of verisimilitude (aww yeah) to the gangster haven that they live in.
It's not particularly realistic as the gun fights are too over the top for realism, but never gets into a truly insane over-top level, so it's kinda jarring against the more down to earth elements of the show (children of war, ex-soldiers with absolutely no remorse, etc).

I watched it in Japanese, but I wish I found the English dub. It isn't set in japan and only one of the characters is Japanese. Apparently the dialog is supposed to be English in the show (albeit presented in Japanese), so it becomes incredibly jarring when they go to japan and the Japanese voice actors start to switch over to English in scenes where they are speaking English to someone who only speaks Japanese, but sometimes they don't bother with the switch, so you end up not really knowing what language they're supposed to be speaking, if the characters are suddenly understanding each other or if it's just done for the audience. I wish they didn't bother with it at all though as the Japanese voice actors are practically below fan-dub level when they are speaking English/Russian.

I read on wikipedia that they are doing another season (there are two out, 26 eps) next year I think, so I'll definitively check back for that.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Can't fucking sleep so I decided to start Dexter season 3 this morning. Finally up to the episode I caught randomly while watching a stream of Showtime waiting for an MMA show to start. I distinctly remembered Deb calling the IA detective a cunt. :lol

rewatching Red Dwarf. God, what an amazingly funny show

I'll be starting FlashForward soon, then I'm going to finish Lie to me and Chuck season two

Dexter is just SO GOOD. Yesterday I watched the episode in which
Dex goes fishing and kills the wife murderer
, awesome sauce

CiSTM

Banned
fzc1tv.jpg

Such a amazing show. How many kids shows dealed with issues like arms dealing, apartheid and whale hunting ? There is also so much that I missed when I was a kid like the fact that Dolf depicts Adolf Hitler. National Crows Party was pretty awesome too :lol

IFC is going to show Arrested Development reruns. Didn't want to bump the Arrested D movie thread for fear of angering people since I have no movie news.

THR Live Feed said:
Yet another network to air 'Arrested Development'
October 19, 2009

IFC has picked up the rights to air "Arrested Development" and plans back-to-back airings on Sunday and Tuesday nights starting Oct. 25.
The former Fox comedy has previously aired on HDNet and G4, in addition to being offered online via MSN.

“'Arrested Development' is one of the smartest and funniest shows of the last decade with a hilarious presentation of absurd family dysfunction. It’s a perfect fit for IFC, which viewers recognize as an authority on what’s new, next and relevant in television, film, music, gaming and online, and more recently comedy,” said IFC GM Jennifer Caserta. “With the addition of shows like 'Monty Python’s Flying Circus' and our original series 'The Whitest Kids U’ Know,' IFC continues to be a destination for unique and unconventional comedies. Adding 'Arrested Development' to our schedule is the next natural step for us in that direction.”

Blader

Cornballer said:
IFC is going to show Arrested Development reruns. Didn't want to bump the Arrested D movie thread for fear of angering people since I have no movie news.

Has AD been doing well in reruns? The show's ratings were so poor when it aired on Fox, it's kind of surprising so many other channels pick it up.

Little Britain (probably the best comedy I've seen in years. bought the DVD set)
Two and a half men
Chappell's Show
Nitro Circus (Tommy rules)

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I've started watching TV shows heavily since I got a NetFlix account with unlimited streaming. Oh, it's awesome. And I have about five years of TV shows to catch up on.

Currently Watching:

Heroes Season One- Started off amazing; kind of idling

Jericho Season One- Went in blind, and I almost wrote it off halfway into the first episode. Now I think it's awesome.

Smallville Season Nine- Been a fan of this show for years.

Considering:

Calfornication- First few episodes were meh.

Queued up:

Lost- All seasons

Heroes- All seasons

Looking for:

Any show on Netflix that people think rocks, so help me out!

Blader

From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon_Title.jpg

Just finished this today. Great miniseries. I've always been really interested in space (more so when I was a kid) so this was right up my alley. A very interesting watch and a nice complement to Apollo 13 (one of my favorite movies of all time), even though this covers far more than just the 13 flight.

I've also been working my way through the first seasons of Eastbound & Down and Rome. Only four episodes into Rome and I'm liking more than I thought I would. Only seen the first episode of Eastbound so far, but I thought it was pretty bad.

CiSTM

Banned
X-Files Season 4. It had a very slow start but when it started it was quality all the way down. Tempus Fugit and Max were really awesome episodes and this season had one of the best season cliffhangers ever made in TV. Probably my favorite season. Going to watch season 5 asap.

Also watching Garfield & Friends season 1 and Scooby-doo Where are you season 3. Garfield & Friends is still awesome show, Scooby-doo not so much. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
CiSTM said:
X-Files Season 4. It had a very slow start but when it started it was quality all the way down. Tempus Fugit and Max were really awesome episodes and this season had one of the best season cliffhangers ever made in TV. Probably my favorite season. Going to watch season 5 asap.

my favorite episodes from this season:

"unruhe" - this is so creepy. just the polaroid mulder uses to find the guy is weird enough to warrant a watch, and the photography manipulation strikes me as a really nice sequence of what appears to be a real police procedure (though it's probably not). and how does that guy do that with his eye!?

"synchrony" - time travel is awesome. that's all you need to know going in.

"small potatoes" - darin morgan, my favorite writer on the series, guest stars as a sleazy janitor loser with an interesting power.

there are several others i like, but these three stand out. it's probably among my least favorite seasons of the show (among the ones i like anyway [1-7]), but it's still incredibly awesome. you're about to hit my favorite two seasons in 5 & 6. we'll have much to talk about when you do my friend.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Season 4 is pretty good and has some great episodes. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, Tunguska, and Home come to mind.

CiSTM

Banned
beelzebozo said:
my favorite episodes from this season:

"unruhe" - this is so creepy. just the polaroid mulder uses to find the guy is weird enough to warrant a watch, and the photography manipulation strikes me as a really nice sequence of what appears to be a real police procedure (though it's probably not). and how does that guy do that with his eye!?

"synchrony" - time travel is awesome. that's all you need to know going in.

"small potatoes" - darin morgan, my favorite writer on the series, guest stars as a sleazy janitor loser with an interesting power.

there are several others i like, but these three stand out. it's probably among my least favorite seasons of the show (among the ones i like anyway [1-7]), but it's still incredibly awesome. you're about to hit my favorite two seasons in 5 & 6. we'll have much to talk about when you do my friend.

Reason why I loved season 4 was basically the fact that it had enormous amount of mytharc and Alien Mythology arc episodes. Number one reason why I like the show is the conspiracy stuff. I admit that season 4 didn't quite hold up the quality when it came to single X-file cases.

Synchrony was also one of my favorite single case episodes. I kinda guessed right from the start that the old man was infact
Jason
so there wasn't any big suprises for me in that episode. Still over all it was one of my favorites from the season.

I also digged Paper Hearts episode. It was bit more down to earth episode. These kind of episodes are close to my heart because they somewhat remind me of Millennium's first season (all the serial killer hunting and whatnot).

What comes to Small Potatoes I have to say I wasn't big fan :lol I'm usually sucker for these "funny" episodes (like War of the Coprophages) but Small Potatoes just didn't do it for me. There were some good moments in it but it just wasn't for me.

So someone mentioned Deadwood on the previous page and it made me remember I own Season 1. Should I watch it? I watched the first episode when I bought it but didn't find it that interesting and had other great TV on DVD to watch so just left it.

Blader

roosters93 said:
So someone mentioned Deadwood on the previous page and it made me remember I own Season 1. Should I watch it? I watched the first episode when I bought it but didn't find it that interesting and had other great TV on DVD to watch so just left it.

If you already own it, why not?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I needed a new show to watch, so I thought I'd give Dexter a try. I got season 1, watched the first 2 episodes, and damn it's good. I'm looking forward to watching the series, should be some good shit. :D

Krowley

I'm almost through working my way through the IT crowd. VERY VERY funny sitcom. Moss just absolutely kills me. One of the funniest characters ever. It makes me wish UK sitcoms had longer seasons. I could handle hundreds of episodes with these characters.

roosters93 said:

Deadwood is a fantastic show and you owe yourself giving it a chance beyond the first episode. It gets really good.

Coop

Caught up to Sons of Anarchy, great show. It started off kind of slow and was all over the place, but once
Dutch got killed.
it really picked up. If you are a fan of The Shield I'd highly recommend it. Anybody know how the ratings are? I'll be pissed if this show gets canceled.

I'm going through The Office right now, enjoying it but I need some recommendations on what to watch next.

Series I have recently watched all the way through...
Lost-Good
Dexter-My favorite show ever
Friday Night Lights-Good
Chuck-Love it
Jericho-better then I though it would be
Californication-Bored of it
Harper's Island-campy fun show with bad acting

What should I watch next? I have been looking for something that is on Netflix streaming or Hulu, but I will rent something if it is worth it.

Memles

Coop said:
Caught up to Sons of Anarchy, great show. It started off kind of slow and was all over the place, but once
Dutch got killed.
it really picked up. If you are a fan of The Shield I'd highly recommend it. Anybody know how the ratings are? I'll be pissed if this show gets canceled.

Ratings for S2 are comparatively through the roof - its Season 2 premiere was up like 95% over the Season 1 premiere, and the ratings have held steady (it even beat Jay Leno/The Forgotten head-to-head on Tuesday night). The show will be getting a third season at least, if not more, as it has turned into an FX success story.

And agreed on your observation - that episode was when things really kicked into high gear.

Zeliard

Just finished up the series finale of the The Shield.

I don't even know what to say. That final episode was equally depressing and fulfilling.

When the final credits rolled, all I could think was "well... fuck."

Blader

Zeliard said:
Just finished up the series finale of the The Shield.

I don't even know what to say. That final episode was equally depressing and fulfilling.

When the final credits rolled, all I could think was "well... fuck."

I don't think I've ever seen a tv show as emotionally draining as The Shield's finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom