• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually really enjoy the Dougie stuff and seeing all this awful shit stack up against him. I just hope it pays off. I would say the only stand out bad scene I didn't care for was Truman's nagging wife. That's the Wally Brando scene of episode 5.

Overall I really fucking love where everything is going. This is the episode where everything is coming together and we're seeing how it all connects. And I was right in my assumption that they did the consolidated part 1 and 2 and part 3 and 4 because those were the more mindfucky set up episodes. This episode we get introduced to all the new and returning actors we've been hearing about. The last 2 weeks were like double pilot episodes. And episode 5 is more traditionally episodic, not to mention way more music. Great episode and really intrigued by the new characters, Twin Peaks' new drug underworld, Dougie's predicament, military going to investigate Briggs, Mr. Strawberry. Fantastic episode, probably the one I enjoyed the most throughout.

I am 100% sure it has something to do with the fact Dougie was wearing the Owl Ring so Cooper's Doppelganger is definitely involved, but outside of that not quite sure. Could be some long con like he had the ring there as a failsafe if Cooper wasn't killed.

Yeah that's probably as much of a connection we can draw from at this point.

Someone on dugpa noticed a time of around 430 being shown when Coop was coming off the elevator at the insurance office. Has me thinking about the elevators involving Jeffries from FWWM. Probably a stretch but only connection I can think of rn.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I really hope we see the conclusion to the Roadhouse scene. Can't just leave it there.

I just don't understand how it could logically progress from there.

Well as we were talking about, the Giant says in the first episode to remember Richard (and Linda), which is the name of the guy in the booth smoking. Actually we find out his name if Richard Horne, which means he's related to Ben, Jerry, Audrey, etc., in some way. So there's no way this character isn't returning, at the very least.

If they did this, then Classic Cooper would just hang out in Twin Peaks for the remaining 10 or so episodes? Nearly all of the threads of this season would be tied up if Cooper was back to normal, and was the only one of him around.
I don't know. It's hard to predict where this series is going to go but I feel like there's more going on than what's happening to Cooper. I also feel like it would be a mistake to have Classic Cooper only return in the final episode or not at all.

Well as we were talking about, the Giant says in the first episode to remember Richard (and Linda), which is the name of the guy in the booth smoking. Actually we find out his name if Richard Horne, which means he's related to Ben, Jerry, Audre, etc., in some way. So there's no way this character isn't returning, at the very least.

Maybe I'm forgetting already, but we didn't even see him let the girl go.

If he doesn't end up immediately in jail, then I don't even. He just grabbed a young girl in a crowded bar and started talking about raping her in front of her friends.

Also wtf was going on with these three?

DBiEz6NW0AAgm1v.jpg

Shades of One Eyed Jacks meets Lady in the Radiator.

Dusk Golem

Also Dougie is totally going to get fired, or otherwise some miracle is going to happen because he didn't do jackshit about those case files. Just stared at a statue all day.

DBiEz6NW0AAgm1v.jpg

I loved this whole scene and it's one of the things I'm interested to see continue, the actors in this bit were great and with them having it personally out for Dougie, I'm legitimately curious how it'll play out with them. The girls I think are part of their entertaining service as they seem to run the hotel in Vegas, but it had such a 90s Lynch tinge to it I loved it.

Belushi accidentally let it spill on a talkshow that his character appears in a
party
scene, and I'm excited to see the context of that.

I don't know. It's hard to predict where this series is going to go but I feel like there's more going on than what's happening to Cooper. I also feel like it would be a mistake to have Classic Cooper only return in the final episode or not at all.

I think it's totally going to happen, and probably not just at the final episode, but it seems like a third act kind of thing rather than an end of first act kind of move. Yeah there's still a small handful things that aren't directly related to Cooper, but between him and his doppelganger, the bulk of of the active plot lines are connected to him.

Removing Dougie and the Doppelganer from the mix by bringing Cooper back to normal, would just leave a lot of these things either resolved or unsolvable.

I dunno. I get the notion, but I think this is a slow burn that's already shown evidence of Cooper's advancement from when we first saw him as Dougie.

hughesta

Banned

DBiEz6NW0AAgm1v.jpg

this and the car scene with Becky high were my favorite scenes from the episode. just surreal and unsettling and interesting.

loved the episode, maybe my favorite so far. can't wait a whole week for more I'm bout to bust up a showtime exec

Dusk Golem

Also speaking of finales. I know we still have 13 parts to go and we've only experienced less than a third of the whole entire series so far (after the next part, we'll be 1/3rd of the way through), but I'm strangely excited for wherever this all ends. I know it's really hard to tell where this is going exactly as this series is all sorts of unpredictable at this point, but I have this feeling like this is going to have an amazing ending. A very, very Lynchian type ending obviously, but I just get the feeling with how this has been going so far that it's going to have a terrific climax and ending. Probably confusing and a lot to digest, but terrific all the same.

Vectorman

Banned
I also feel like it would be a mistake to have Classic Cooper only return in the final episode or not at all.

That would be so awful honestly. Yeah, I get Coop needing to recover but I would prefer him starting to understand what the inhabitants of the Black Lodge are trying to do and fend them back as he returns to TP. Unless Lynch is telling us that he somehow not finishing the story with this miniseries. Also Coop/Evil Coop/Dougie getting all the babes lmao.

That would be so awful honestly. Yeah, I get Coop needing to recover but I would prefer him starting to understand what the inhabitants of the Black Lodge are trying to do and fend them back as he returns to TP. Unless Lynch is telling us that he somehow not finishing the story with this miniseries. Also Coop/Evil Coop/Dougie getting all the babes lmao.

Cooper was showing signs of having had a stroke and that woman wanted to have sex with him.

This is peak lynch.

Also Dougie is totally going to get fired, or otherwise some miracle is going to happen because he didn't do jackshit about those case files. Just stared at a statue all day.

I loved this whole scene and it's one of the things I'm interested to see continue, the actors in this bit were great and with them having it personally out for Dougie, I'm legitimately curious how it'll play out with them. The girls I think are part of their entertaining service as they seem to run the hotel in Vegas, but it had such a 90s Lynch tinge to it I loved it.

Belushi accidentally let it spill on a talkshow that his character appears in a
party
scene, and I'm excited to see the context of that.

Heh I liked Belushi's anecdote of getting scolded by Lynch during the filming of that for trying to ad lib a line. "Mr Belushi do you need to come to the principal's office?"

this and the car scene with Becky high were my favorite scenes from the episode. just surreal and unsettling and interesting.

loved the episode, maybe my favorite so far. can't wait a whole week for more I'm bout to bust up a showtime exec

Hope Seyfried's character is given more focus as things progress, she seems like a ringer for Laura mark II.

made me think of

tumblr_nhhqo0pWoG1qaf3uxo1_500.gif

Leave it to Lynch to make 50s style pop singers seem sinister as all get out.

hughesta

Banned
The whole thing with Harry not being there but them continuing to inform the audience of how sick he is, seems sort of weird.
I figured the throwaway lines in the first four parts would be all we'd hear about him, but that phone conversation makes me think that maybe they got a surprise scene with him at some point, or that he'll die as part of the plot and it'll be a huge development - maybe Coop will feel something when it happens, who knows

Dusk Golem

The whole thing with Harry not being there but them continuing to inform the audience of how sick he is, seems sort of weird.

Not as weird as all the constant Jeffries references so far, like legitimately outside of Cooper/Evil Cooper it's almost like Jeffries is the second most important character so far in this new season.

Totally prepping us for impossible Michael Ontkean and David Bowie appearances.

I figured the throwaway lines in the first four parts would be all we'd hear about him, but that phone conversation makes me think that maybe they got a surprise scene with him at some point, or that he'll die as part of the plot and it'll be a huge development - maybe Coop will feel something when it happens, who knows

Not as weird as all the constant Jeffries references so far, like legitimately outside of Cooper/Evil Cooper it's almost like Jeffries is the second most important character so far in this new season.

Totally prepping us for impossible Michael Ontkean and David Bowie appearances.

This is what I'm hoping for but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just in case.

Dusk Golem

Holy hell, I think Lynch did the most obscure reference to himself and I almost didn't even notice!

86343f47d78a1b306afe39d751cb342b.jpg

So in the background of the scene Cooper talks with his boss, there's a giant poster for a Bushnell.

Sailing with Bushnell Keeler was David Lynch's first ever movie, he called it a 'home movie'. He released it in 1967. you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ETYtxttJI

There's no doubt to me at this point Lynch did do a delve through his whole history for this season of Twin Peaks.

Quick take:

The first third of episode was really trying my patience, especially after Ep 4 showed signs of moving back to Twin Peaks and Angelo music.

The
BOB mirror
scene was great, especially the
facial distortion. The looping clips from the S2 finale weren't very well done though.

Of course Gordon & Albert where nowhere to be seen, leaving the mystery of the person referenced at the end of ep 4 up in the air for at least another week. Of course.

I reckon (in the bar)
RIchard Horne will be Audrey's half brother, because ol' Ben sure likes to get around. He's also possibly with BOB or a similar entity. I don't see Audrey being the mother to a nasty piece of work like this, kinda shits on the character.

I like Frank Truman a lot but his wife is pointless, as was that entire scene.

I didn't realise that was
Mike
in the car dealership!

Amanda Seyfried
is a very pretty lady. I wonder where the
drug
sub plot is going.

I'm still hopeful for a Bowie appearance, even if it's brief.

Overall though, easily the weakest of the episodes so far. At this point I'm curious what Lynch had planned when the series was just 9 hours long...

Jocund

Worth mentioning the entire Windswept soundtrack is purchaseable at the Italians Do It Better webstore for $1.

It's totally worth it. Fantastic project.

This is the most fascinating thing I've watched on TV in a long, long time. I have no idea where it's going from scene to scene, and it's a much bigger web than I expected it to be, both in terms of new characters and locations. I love the pocket that Lynch has settled into here.

This is the most fascinating thing I've watched on TV in a long, long time. I have no idea where it's going from scene to scene, and it's a much bigger web than I expected it to be, both in terms of new characters and locations. I love the pocket that Lynch has settled into here.

I'm expecting a Mulholland Drive 'Silencio' moment in the middle of this series that turns everything on its head and brings everything back to Twin Peaks itself.

Levito

Banned
This was my favorite episode of this season so far. Lynch is just on fire with this, so glad it's not just leaning on nostalgia.

I'm expecting a Mulholland Drive 'Silencio' moment in the middle of this series that turns everything on its head and brings everything back to Twin Peaks itself.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've been getting vibes that a lot of this setup will collide with Coop's awakening around halfway through.

Plus I'd bet one of those gold shovels end up lodged into someone's skull soon enough.

Indeed

it really makes the likes of Fargo look like the piece of crap that it is

Levito

Banned
So this is probably gonna sound really mean, but does anyone else get the impression that some of the old cast are getting very limited screen time cause their acting skills aren't up to snuff?

Like Nadine was basically just a cameo.

Indeed

it really makes the likes of Fargo look like the piece of crap that it is

lmao. I love the cast in the new Fargo but I haven't tuned into that for a few weeks now, its been pretty boring honestly. American Gods is also on the wayside for a bit.

a few thoughts on today's episode:

- I fucking loved that redhead dude from Get Out, his performance both in that and now this remind me of a sort of try-hard James Dean rebel type of delivery. Thats exactly the sort of thing Lynch fucks with too so he fits in really well here. btw he has a ponytail. probably abuses her too tbh, Shelly/Leo part 2

- Amanda Seyfried has a bit of a Laura Palmer vibe to her, and that scene when she's just zoned and drugged out in the car is straight up Naomi Watts Mulholland Drive-esque

- speaking of being reminded of the past, that psycho in the bar. yoooo, he was like young Dennis Hopper. Casting for the new characters in this show is on point so far.

- I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for Dale Cooper to come back, Dougie has been bringing some pretty entertaining gags though. that elevator scene when they all want to get off was pretty funny. Also Tom Sizemore man it's been a minute. Looks the same though.

- no idea what is happening with Mr. C and that box just suddenly shrinking but I'm intrigued, his vacant stare at the prison camera was terrifying tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom