• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absence of Harry is probably the biggest elephant in the room this episode, working around that does seem a bit wonky, but what can ya do. Phone call to him could've been cut imo, I think Hayward's skype call serves the progression as is. Not sure what disembodied Harry will be able to reveal later on that the Doc can't.

Levito

Banned
I think a lot of you are jumping the gun with the "Boop raped Audrey" thing, that's a theory but let's not act like it's a fact. Lordy.

So the pages from the secret diary are a retcon, right?

Retcon how? I'm pretty sure Donna/Maddy/James said some pages were missing when they found it?

Ehhh.... I won't buy the Diane thing unless the show explicitly reveals it. It took her what, five minutes tonight before she was utterly sure that this wasn't the real Cooper? Why would she even need to look at him if she had already been assaulted by him? Why wouldn't she mention that to Albert and Cole?

Obviously she has some beef with the FBI but I think it's something else. Like maybe she had a thing for Cooper but felt abandoned when he disappeared. Or maybe she found Cooper completely annoying, and hated transcribing his endless cassette tapes.

But in terms of "that night", it was pretty obvious to me that she was testing his memory. And she discovered that Evil Coop does have Good Coop's memories, but he's missing something else in his heart.

Watch the scene again. It's very clear she is taking about Cooper's Doppelgänger visiting her.

PolishQ

So the pages from the secret diary are a retcon, right?

Well, Laura would have had to visit Harold to write Annie's message in her diary, since he was in possession of it at the time. Obviously we didn't see that in FWWM but it theoretically could have happened at some point in her last few days.

She would have had to do that anyway to explain the "Today is the day that I die" entry that Cooper finds in the original series.

Ray Down

Banned
Do we know if Donna is even going to be mentioned in this new season? I don't care too much but she was involved with a pretty big cliffhanger with Ben last we saw her.

She could be mentioned but I doubt we will see her unless they recasted her.

Yes/no. The dream happened, but she had already dropped off the real secret diary, I believe.

They could say it was a recurring dream Laura had. Annie's already time traveling why not make a recurrence. Not too bad a retcon. Of course I don't expect them to address it at all.

120v

i thought Diane was pissed just because she had to listen to Coop's asinine 'reports' for years. i got a good chuckle out of the concept but after the scene in the interrogation room i guess there's more to it

Flipyap

The show not treating the Annie's existence like a major secret is making The Secret History's (and, when interviewed, Mark Frost's) weird treatment of the subject look like a really pointless gimmick. Feels weird to have to wait for the show to inject some value back into that book.

The absence of Harry is probably the biggest elephant in the room this episode, working around that does seem a bit wonky, but what can ya do.
Also Starring​
AN IPHONE as Harry S. Truman

Ehhh.... I won't buy the Diane thing unless the show explicitly reveals it. It took her what, five minutes tonight before she was utterly sure that this wasn't the real Cooper? Why would she even need to look at him if she had already been assaulted by him? Why wouldn't she mention that to Albert and Cole?

Obviously she has some beef with the FBI but I think it's something else. Like maybe she had a thing for Cooper but felt abandoned when he disappeared. Or maybe she found Cooper completely annoying, and hated transcribing his endless cassette tapes.

But in terms of "that night", it was pretty obvious to me that she was testing his memory. And she discovered that Evil Coop does have Good Coop's memories, but he's missing something else in his heart.

At this point I'd like to hear why you think it DIDNT happen, specifically. Everything you mentioned is not at all implicit in the scenes we saw.

What was that skin flap from that was recovered at the Spike-Dougie assassination attempt crime scene? Was that from the Arm lol

"We've run a DNA test, it appears to be part tree"

I think he degloved part of ikes palm on the gun, he was trying to squeeze his hand off.

lel

I wonder what kinda budget cuts they got from all the product placement going on. Fairly indifferent about it but damn I'm seeing more brands pop up than most shows.

or how they were able to give Lynch the budget he wanted.

PolishQ

At this point I'd like to hear why you think it DIDNT happen, specifically. Everything you mentioned is not at all implicit in the scenes we saw.

Because here's how her earlier scene would have gone:

Cole: "We have Cooper in a federal prison and we think there might be something wrong with him. We need you to look at him."
Diane: "No need. There's definitely something wrong with him. He raped me 25 years ago. He had just gotten back from Twin Peaks and it made him evil."

And what the hell is her line of questioning in the interrogation if not "I'm going to ask him something only the real Cooper would know" ?

Sean C

Minor thing, but I'm guessing that Frank Truman is named for FDR, since he's the older brother of Harry S. Truman. Presumably their parents were solid New Deal Democrats.

bunbun777

Cooper represents dreams made manifest, he embodied virtue that with determination changed people's lives for the better. Diane experienced this "first hand" by hearing Cooper's innermost thoughts, feelings, questions and expressions, they were close in this sense at least.

I truly believe Dale wouldn't have slept with Diane because of his past with Windom Earle's wife and how he recounted his hopes and fears of finding another love. He wouldn't just bang for fun.

Enter Bad Coop: Bob the spirit feeding off of trauma and pain, best way to feed up is to go to the bank of good will with Diane that has been established and pretend to manifest whatever hope she had. Consensual sex turns from intimate hopeful love into something much darker. Twists Diane, subverts and perverts her emotionally. That's a lot of corn there.

DOOP IS FREE

Can't wait to see what nefarious shit he gets up to.

C7xc.jpg

gun_haver

The absence of Harry is probably the biggest elephant in the room this episode, working around that does seem a bit wonky, but what can ya do. Phone call to him could've been cut imo, I think Hayward's skype call serves the progression as is. Not sure what disembodied Harry will be able to reveal later on that the Doc can't.

part of all this is about the sadness and inevitability of aging, i like the harry calls.

Levito

Banned
I wonder what the over/under on us actually finding out with the Black Lodge+White Lodge+Bob+Everyone else from there actually is before the show ends.

gforguava

"Is there a reason why you didn't report your car missing?"

"Reason? Yeah, I'll tell you a reason. There is more to life than cars. Too many cars, too much going on, and Dougie has been under a lot of stress lately. And if you want to know the truth, so have I."

Janey-E is my everything. She and Naomi Watts' superlative performance are too good for this world.

This episode was amazing

The hardcore context/infodump at the beginning was hilarious

Diane is great. Naomi Watts is incredible

The Doc Hayward scene revealing that Audrey was in coma after the bank explosion puts an entirely new level of awfulness on the fan theory that Richard Horne is Audrey and Evil Coop's son.

If it turns out to be the case, that means that evil Coop raped a comatose Audrey. Yikes.
I was unfortunately thinking the same thing, glad I wasn't the only one.....

This episode was perfect in almost every way, with the very minor exception of the scene between the woman and her crippled husband.

Worth noting that the left hand, and the removal thereof, has been a recurring theme. I don't really understand how Coop managed to pry that piece of flesh off, though.

edit: nix the left hand comment. It was Ike's right hand.

Spiritually, Doop is the reverse of Coop, and it was Doop's spiritual finger's print that was reversed.

PolishQ

The second word he said to Cole was reversed ("It's yrev very good to see you again, old friend") and the fingerprint on his second finger is reversed (you know, counting from the pinky inward).

Cole mentioned something about the ring finger representing the "spiritual mound" or somesuch. Palmistry, I suppose? I don't know the details behind that, but I understood it to mean that something is spiritually messed up about this particular Cooper.

XNarte

This episode was perfect in almost every way, with the very minor exception of the scene between the woman and her crippled husband.

Worth noting that the left hand, and the removal thereof, has been a recurring theme. I don't really understand how Coop managed to pry that piece of flesh off, though.

I went back and rewatched that part and he didn't pry it off but he squeezed hard enough that part of the flesh on his hand came off. When Ike pulled his hand away from the gun it had a red mark where the skin used to be.

I went back and rewatched that part and he didn't pry it off but he squeezed hard enough that part of the flesh on his hand came off. When Ike pulled his hand away from the gun it had a red mark where the skin used to be.

I didn't mean pry literally. I just don't understand how squeezing Ike's hand resulted in a strip of flesh getting stuck to the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom