• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hatred for Martin Short is as irrational as it is absolute. There is no actor I avoid the way I avoid Short.

innerSPACE excluded.

No love for Three Amigos?

Speaking of which, I wonder when we get the inevitable Hollywood reboot with Will Ferrell, Seth Rogan and Jack Black.

Is it Sunday yet?

Levito

Banned
Have y'all ever been this thirsty for new episodes of a show before? I haven't been like this since like the final season of Breaking bad. ugh the wait

The Comic Con panel lineup has been revealed:
Kyle Maclachlan, Tim Roth, Dana Ashbrook, Kimmy Robertson, Matthew Lillard, Everett McGill, James Marshall, Don Murray, Naomi Watts. No Lynch from the looks of it though maybe he's a surprise. Hilarious thing is Damon Lindelof of The Leftovers fame (or Prometheus infamy) is hosting the panel. However that's not all for Comic Con.

We'll also get to see Part 11 that same day as well. First come, first serve of course.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWNgj3HBYYE/?taken-by=twinpeaks&hl=en

SDCC isn't Lynch's thing, but I'd really be interested if he showed up.

I am totally using my Get Into Hall H Free card for this shit.

I will not let you down, Gaf.

Chumley

Banned
The Comic Con panel lineup has been revealed:
Kyle Maclachlan, Tim Roth, Dana Ashbrook, Kimmy Robertson, Matthew Lillard, Everett McGill, James Marshall, Don Murray, Naomi Watts. No Lynch from the looks of it though maybe he's a surprise. Hilarious thing is Damon Lindelof of The Leftovers fame (or Prometheus infamy) is hosting the panel. However that's not all for Comic Con.

We'll also get to see Part 11 that same day as well. First come, first serve of course.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWNgj3HBYYE/?taken-by=twinpeaks&hl=en

This is just going to be Machlachlan sharing Lynch stories and his feelings on what has already aired, and Lindelof talking about how much Lynch inspired his work. Lynch will definitely not show up as a surprise since he refuses to talk about the show with anyone. The rest of the cast might get a few words in about working with Lynch and returning to the show.

Dalek

I finished Inland Empire today. I hate to say it but I'm massively dissapointed. It just seems way too bloated, too meandering and there's not enough narrative to keep my interest for that long a time. Mullholland Drive is one of my favorite movies of all time-and this doesn't even seem like it's the same level of quality-more like a film student who was influenced by Lynch made a film.

I'm glad that a film like that exists and I'm glad that Lynch was able to create an experiment like that-but I just don't think that the final product was a good film.

Yamibito

I finished Inland Empire today. I hate to say it but I'm massively dissapointed. It just seems way too bloated, too meandering and there's not enough narrative to keep my interest for that long a time. Mullholland Drive is one of my favorite movies of all time-and this doesn't even seem like it's the same level of quality-more like a film student who was influenced by Lynch made a film.

I'm a huge David Lynch fan to the point he's probably my favourite artist let alone director, and yet outside of Dune, I think Inland Empire is his worst. It's a very distinctive film, but I just feel like the way he worked on that film shows. He wrote the script as he was filming it.

Slaythe

I have a lot of issues with Lindelof hosting this.

I remember vividly he was looking down on Twin Peaks and claimed he wouldn't want to fuck up Lost the way Twin Peaks was fucked up.

Completely dismissing what Fire Walk With Me, the ending of season 2 etc... brought to the table after the initial mystery was revealed.

It's even more obnoxious when you see how Lost turned out. He literally dedicated half the final season to bullshit that had 0 relevance to the plot. So he's one to talk about season 2.

And now with season 3 being fascinating ( granted it might fail in the end, but let's stay positive !) , i find it hypocritical for him to come back and say " oh yeah I love it ".

Dalek

I'm a huge David Lynch fan to the point he's probably my favourite artist let alone director, and yet outside of Dune, I think Inland Empire is his worst. It's a very distinctive film, but I just feel like the way he worked on that film shows. He wrote the script as he was filming it.

I think that's definelty evident from viewing the film.

There are some great scenes though. I liked when her character is in the theater watching herself on the screen. That was a great interpretation of "dream logic"

This is just going to be Machlachlan sharing Lynch stories and his feelings on what has already aired, and Lindelof talking about how much Lynch inspired his work. Lynch will definitely not show up as a surprise since he refuses to talk about the show with anyone. The rest of the cast might get a few words in about working with Lynch and returning to the show.

I think we have a winner.

Yamibito

I think that's definelty evident from viewing the film.

There are some great scenes though. I liked when her character is in the theater watching herself on the screen. That was a great interpretation of "dream logic"

It's like a series of somewhat connected vignettes, ideas not quite fully fleshed out. It's kinda weird because Mulholland Drive is similar in a lot of respects but it's far more thorough and whatnot.

Levito

Banned
So I didn't know this but apparently George Lucas legit asked Lynch to direct Return Of The Jedi way back, someone made an amazing trailer for "Lynch's Jedi"

I can only imagine the hilarity of an audience full of kids and families watching extended surrealism as Luke Skywalker sits in the black lodge.

So I didn't know this but apparently George Lucas legit asked Lynch to direct Return Of The Jedi way back, someone made an amazing trailer for "Lynch's Jedi"

I can only imagine the hilarity of an audience full of kids and families watching extended surrealism as Luke Skywalker sits in the black lodge.

Holy crap.
I'm glad this didn't happen because Lynch wouldn't have made movies like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire after that. And Twin Peaks wouldn't exist....I'm pretty sure.
Also, Lynch wants full control of everything. That's why he hates Dune and he says it's his only mistake (except for maybe the second half of the second season of Twin Peaks).

Chumley

Banned
Return of the Jedi Lynch would have been a complete disaster. I love the man but there's a reason why he's never found mainstream success. Most people find surrealism completely boring and hate it. I tried extremely hard to get my best friend into Twin Peaks S3, we have almost identical taste in everything, but she quit after the third episode. Hated almost every minute of it. You're either completely bought into the Lynch style or you're not.

big ander

Yeah but even his less surreal work like The Elephant Man is 1. distinctly Lynchian 2. not without moments of surreality. He could never do any franchise facilitation.

Levito

Banned
Lynch can do plenty good in non-surrelist media. The Straight Story is a perfect example, and hell even the first season of Twin Peaks is pretty accessible imo.

He wouldn't have been a good fit for Star Wars, but it's still funny to think about.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I would have loved to see a ROTJ from Lynch. Had no idea why people kept asking for him in Star Wars threads haha. Now I know.

But yeah, definitely not his style.

TheWraith

Return of the Jedi Lynch would have been a complete disaster. I love the man but there's a reason why he's never found mainstream success. Most people find surrealism completely boring and hate it. I tried extremely hard to get my best friend into Twin Peaks S3, we have almost identical taste in everything, but she quit after the third episode. Hated almost every minute of it. You're either completely bought into the Lynch style or you're not.

Ok but if that friend never saw S1-2 of Twin Peaks it's hopeless anyway. You wouldn't show anyone the new season of GoT if they havent seen the previous ones as well.

Slaythe

That being said, a Lynch star wars Anthology would be amazing. Exploring Jedi temples or caves could be interesting.

Certainly better than whatever rogue one was.

JC Sera

That being said, a Lynch star wars Anthology would be amazing. Exploring Jedi temples or caves could be interesting.

Certainly better than whatever rogue one was.
the stuff in the two animated series sorta delve into this
but imagine a lynch version of The Father, The Mother, The Daughter & The Son's home planet

Blader

Lynch at Comic Con sounds awesome right up until he actually takes the stage and either says nothing or just gives one-word answers to everything.

I have a lot of issues with Lindelof hosting this.

I remember vividly he was looking down on Twin Peaks and claimed he wouldn't want to fuck up Lost the way Twin Peaks was fucked up.

Completely dismissing what Fire Walk With Me, the ending of season 2 etc... brought to the table after the initial mystery was revealed.

It's even more obnoxious when you see how Lost turned out. He literally dedicated half the final season to bullshit that had 0 relevance to the plot. So he's one to talk about season 2.

And now with season 3 being fascinating ( granted it might fail in the end, but let's stay positive !) , i find it hypocritical for him to come back and say " oh yeah I love it ".
It's not hypocritical to say you love Twin Peaks and also think half of its then-final season was badly fucked up. That's a pretty commonly held opinion.

Slaythe

the stuff in the two animated series sorta delve into this
but imagine a lynch version of The Father, The Mother, The Daughter & The Son's home planet

Oh yeah damn.

Should give him a Darth Vader anthology, he tracks a Jedi but ends up on a planet strong in the force, if they do that while Christensen and Portman still look the same, Could be great to portray vader with his inner demons. Maybe give him a peak into the after life too since he mysteriously managed to become a force ghost. All in Lynch style.

Mmmhh

Could sorta be the anti midichlorian scene lol.

Was it confirmed that it was Sheryl Lee? Until I get a good confirm, I'm sticking with it being Janey with that hairstyle. Unless there's a doppleganger hanging out who keeps her hair short.

It was Sheryl, I was there for that night shoot (part of it anyways).

Lynch at Comic Con sounds awesome right up until he actually takes the stage and either says nothing or just gives one-word answers to everything.

He'd probably just use it as a forum to pimp transcendental meditation, same thing he did when he introduced Inland Empire when that was making the screening rounds. It was equally amusing and obnoxious. But whatever its Lynch he can do what he wants. It'd be nice to get an update to Chris Rodley's book going over that and this season of Peaks. Here's hoping the blu-ray features are packed.

Chumley

Banned
It was Sheryl, I was there for that night shoot (part of it anyways).

giphy.gif

Dalek

I actually wondered if something like that might happen considering
that Leland asked Cooper in the Lodge to save Laura.

Eh he's still walking in the trance-like Dougie state. It could just be the Lodge guiding him like they've been doing.

It doesn't look to me like he's walking like Dougie. At most they're kinda just walking a bit slow... could be all kinds of reasons for that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part though!

I think there's a good chance Dougie Jones's family might be manufactured too. Notice when Coop gets dropped off there for the first time, he looks up as an owl flys by; implying that the lodge is watching over them too.

There are a couple of instances of
his son doing backwards things (eg. blinking backwards), so I think you're right.

Why were you there??

I had been scouting twitter and dugpa forums when they were in Washington filming in 2015 on when and where they were shooting, there was even an article put up on a Everett (city where the Palmer house is located) paper announcing the night shoot, and that residents of the neighborhood should expect to hear
screams
in the early AM. The crew allowed fans to watch a lot of exterior filming at different sites, but obviously you weren't allowed on set, though you could still see enough to make out who's who. Kyle even came over to say hi to the group of us at one point. It was incredibly exciting.

Levito

Banned
I had been scouting twitter and dugpa forums when they were in Washington filming in 2015 on when and where they were shooting, there was even an article put up on a Everett (city where the Palmer house is located) paper announcing the night shoot, and that residents of the neighborhood should expect to hear
screams
in the early AM. The crew allowed fans to watch a lot of exterior filming at different sites, but obviously you weren't allowed on set, though you could still see enough to make out who's who. Kyle even came over to say hi to the group of us at one point. It was incredibly exciting.

Whoa that's really cool!

hank_tree

ROTJ turned out pretty badly anyways. Lunch wouldn't have made a boring movie, at least.

Yamibito

I think there's a good chance Dougie Jones's family might be manufactured too. Notice when Coop gets dropped off there for the first time, he looks up as an owl flys by; implying that the lodge is watching over them too.

His son, maybe, but Janey E definitely isn't.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm just going to write this schedule down so I can easily quote and edit it when people ask about the airing of the series, but know that there will be no more weeks skipped for the rest of the run now.

July 9th, 9 PM EST: Part 9 "This is the chair."

July 16th, 9 PM EST Part 10 "Laura is the one."

July 23rd, 9 PM EST Part 11 "There's fire where you are going."
(WARNING: This episode will air early at ComicCon two or so days before it airs on TV, so this topic likely will have some spoilers, people please remember to MARK them and spill nothing.)

July 30th, 9 PM EST Part 12 "Let's rock."

August 6th, 8 PM EST Part 13 "What story is that, Charlie?"
(NOTE: The time slot for Twin Peaks moves up an hour starting with this part, so they begin to air at 8 PM EST rather than 9 PM EST)

August 13th, 8 PM EST Part 14 (no title yet)

August 20th, 8 PM EST Part 15 (no title yet)

August 27th, 8 PM EST Part 16 (no title yet)

September 3rd, 8 PM EST Part 17 / Part 18 (no title yet)
(NOTE: This is the series finale and both Part 17 & 18 will air in succession together)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom