• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishQ

I'm just going to write this schedule down so I can easily quote and edit it when people ask about the airing of the series, but know that there will be no more weeks skipped for the rest of the run now.

July 9th, 9 PM EST: Part 9 "This is the chair."

July 16th, 9 PM EST Part 10 "Laura is the one."

July 23rd, 9 PM EST Part 11 "There’s fire where you are going."
(WARNING: This episode will air early at ComicCon two or so days before it airs on TV, so this topic likely will have some spoilers, people please remember to MARK them and spill nothing.)

July 30th, 9 PM EST Part 12 "Let’s rock."

August 6th, 8 PM EST Part 13 "What story is that, Charlie?"
(NOTE: The time slot for Twin Peaks moves up an hour starting with this part, so they begin to air at 8 PM EST rather than 9 PM EST)

August 13th, 8 PM EST Part 14 (no title yet)

August 20th, 8 PM EST Part 15 (no title yet)

August 27th, 8 PM EST Part 16 (no title yet)

September 3rd, 8 PM EST Part 17 / Part 18 (no title yet)
(NOTE: This is the series finale and both Part 17 & 18 will air in succession together)

Thanks for putting that together.

Futureman

didn't know about that 8 PM move up in a few weeks. Nice.

I don't like GoT but my GF does. She was talking about watching GoT before Peaks which I did not like, but it seems it will only be an issue through July.

Slaythe

Oh wow ? 17 and 18 are airing together ?

Well, gonna have to prepare.

tumblr_m6yaa1O6571r72ht7o1_500.gif

PizzaFace

Banned

I don't like GoT but my GF does. She was talking about watching GoT before Peaks which I did not like, but it seems it will only be an issue through July.

Don't know much about how US tv actually works, but does this indicate the episodes will be more PG at that point? Less violence and swearing?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks for putting that together.

Of course, figure it'd be convenient for me too. XD;

I think part of the reason they moved it up was GoT to be honest, though the change happens in August.

The titles for eps 10+11+12 do things to my genitals

The episode titles for that set of episodes certainly has some implications to any fan of the series, that's for certain.

Oh wow ? 17 and 18 are airing together ?

Well, gonna have to prepare.

tumblr_m6yaa1O6571r72ht7o1_500.gif

I'm happy they are, but at the same time as it's the series finale I'm sure there will be a LOT to process. I have no idea how this season is going to end right now.

Don't know much about how US tv actually works, but does this indicate the episodes will be more PG at that point? Less violence and swearing?

On some channels, but Showtime is subscription only and unrated so there's no concern here.

Futureman

"David, you're going to have to tone your shit down when we move into the 8 PM slot in August. We're going to need some 'Full House Danny Tanner sits the kids down for a life lesson' scenes with Dougie and Sonny Jim."

Dan-o

I kinda missed all the pages with extensive theories about what's going on in Part 8, but there's something that's been on my mind since Part 1.

What if The Giant (aka ??????, in the credits) isn't talking backwards at all in the opening scene of the show? To me, it looks/sounds like he's pretending that he's talking backwards, by the way he enunciates and moves his mouth... but I don't think it's the real kind of backwards talk like The Arm, Mike, Laura, etc.

In Part 8, we see him again, this time with Senorita Dido, but also a big device that looks just like the one Naido (blind lady) flipped the switch on, in Part 3, with Cooper watching.

I'm not sure what to make of that, really... just curious what others think, or if it's already been explored.

Flipyap

What if The Giant (aka ??????, in the credits) isn't talking backwards at all in the opening scene of the show? To me, it looks/sounds like he's pretending that he's talking backwards, by the way he enunciates and moves his mouth... but I don't think it's the real kind of backwards talk like The Arm, Mike, Laura, etc.
As far as I can tell, Bob and American Girl are the only characters who didn't really talk backwards, which makes sense, because they're less experienced actors.
Evolution of the arm also doesn't talk backwards, but it's not even pretending, it just whispers in an cartoonish asthmatic snake voice.

The way ???????'s mouth moves makes it very clear that it's the real deal.

PolishQ

As far as I can tell, Bob and American Girl are the only characters who didn't really talk backwards, which makes sense, because they're less experienced actors.
Evolution of the arm also doesn't talk backwards, but it's not even pretending, it just whispers in an cartoonish asthmatic snake voice.

The way ???????'s mouth moves makes it very clear that it's the real deal.

Are you claiming that American Girl's lines were overdubbed? Because her movements are certainly reversed.

It doesn't look to me like he's walking like Dougie. At most they're kinda just walking a bit slow... could be all kinds of reasons for that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part though!

I agree. I don't see Dougie at all, there. Dougie picks up his feet like he has a pickle up his ass. This shot shows Kyle walking slowly, but with purpose. It also looks like it's a tracking shot with the camera in front of the actors tracking backwards. Pretty common to have your actors cheat their walk and go slowly in shots like that in order to keep everything smooth.

g11

Anyone think there's any chance we'll see or hear of/from Chester Desmond in S3? During the S3 break I watched The Missing Pieces for the first time and honestly I kind of miss old Chet.

With all the blue rose and Phillip Jeffries talk in the last few episodes before the break, it gives me hope he'll turn up at some point.

PolishQ

Anyone think there's any chance we'll see or hear of/from Chester Desmond in S3? During the S3 break I watched The Missing Pieces for the first time and honestly I kind of miss old Chet.

With all the blue rose and Phillip Jeffries talk in the last few episodes before the break, it gives me hope he'll turn up at some point.

Well, if Dougie wasn't manufactured from Briggs' head and Ruth Davenport's body, my next guess is that he was made out of Chet.

Well, if Dougie wasn't manufactured from Briggs' head and Ruth Davenport's body, my next guess is that he was made out of Chet.

Oooh. That's an idea.

I mean, these things are either A: wrong, or B: the show won't tell us.

I don't think anyone is going to guess this stuff at this point, but as far as collecting things for head canon... should no one reveal how Dougie was made, this is a cool thing to think about.

My boss is about to start seasons 3 and is looking for a good recap. I've been skipping around the ones that come up in a search but none of it seems especially relevant to this season.

Any good videos summing up the mythology from the original series and FWWM? I feel like that would be most relevant. Something that includes The Man From Another Place saying he's The Arm maybe?

Flipyap

Are you claiming that American Girl's lines were overdubbed? Because her movements are certainly reversed.
The whole thing looked and sounded faked to me, but you might be right.
This one really has me stumped. If the speaking parts are reversed, the drawn out way of speaking (which sounds a lot like Frank Silva's method) and the way she moves do a damn fine job masking it, it seriously doesn't look any more natural played "backwards." She also doesn't trip up over even the trickiest sounds in some of the longest reversed sentences and looks much more natural when speaking than any other backwards talker on the new show. Other than that one shot where she quickly turns her head, there aren't any obvious giveaways.

Yamibito

I love how each week there's a feeling of uncertainty regarding where the hell the next episode will go. I've never really felt that with any show.

Airola

The whole thing looked and sounded faked to me, but you might be right.
This one really has me stumped. If the speaking parts are reversed, the drawn out way of speaking (which sounds a lot like Frank Silva's method) and the way she moves do a damn fine job masking it, it seriously doesn't look any more natural played "backwards." She also doesn't trip up over even the trickiest sounds in some of the longest reversed sentences and looks much more natural when speaking than any other backwards talker on the new show. Other than that one shot where she quickly turns her head, there aren't any obvious giveaways.

I just thought she is the only one in the new series who can do it properly. It was the first time the backwards talk didn't sound "faulty" and forced to me.

I love how each week there's a feeling of uncertainty regarding where the hell the next episode will go. I've never really felt that with any show.

I felt that way with the first part, but haven't felt it that strongly again until this part.

Before Part 1 aired, I wasn't even sure when or where the first scene would take place. Mainly because of The Secret History, but it was a strong and tangible feeling. That went away after the first four parts (which I watched all at once). Sure I wasn't sure exactly where we'd go next, but it quickly narrowed down to a few key places, and all seemed to be happening at approximately the same time.

I doubt they'll pull another Part 8, but I think from here on out I'm never going to feel confident that I know where the next episode might take us. Part 8 pulled the rug out from under me as I'm sure everyone agrees.

Not showing teaser trailers is part of it too. Like, I enjoy Doctor Who, but it shows you where they're going next at the end of most every episode, so it's rarely surprising. This... we get nothing but one out of context line of dialogue.

Yep. For example I can imagine what's going to happen, in general terms, in the new Game of Thrones episode, but I can't say the same of Twin Peaks.
I don't know if it's going to continue the 50s story, or go back to Dugie or to Twin Peaks, or the hunt for the doppelCooper fugitive. I don't know if it's going to be serious and weird or light hearted. Hell, I don't know if maybe the doppelganger is going to lose powers once he lost BOB so Dugie is going to start recovering.

Flipyap

Fun fact: that melody originally appeared back in 2007 as part of Track 7 on Lynch's album "Air Is On Fire." I can't find an upload of just that track and it feels weird to post a youtube link to the entire album, but it's, uh, around the 45 minute mark. >_>

I just thought she is the only one in the new series who can do it properly. It was the first time the backwards talk didn't sound "faulty" and forced to me.
Yeah, I guess I assumed it was faked because she sounds so much more natural than every other backwards talker on the new show.
Turns out Phoebe Augustine is the secret MVP who could have saved the red room. Welp.

Carel Struycken did a very good in that opening scene.
I do like the way he sounds, but he does sound rather robotic. Red room speech used to have actual cadence, it wasn't just syl-la-ble af-ter syl-la-ble.

I've watched episode 8 four times now and I still don't like it.

Watching it for the fourth time this morning, however, has made it my most watched episode of the entire Twin Peaks series.

Yet I still don't like it.

So why have I watched it more than any other?

Weird.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Watching it for the fourth time this morning, however, has made it my most watched episode of the entire Twin Peaks series.

Weird.

Why don't you like it?

Probably so you can tell everyone you've watched it four times and still don't like it.

Yeah, I get a real kick out of that. Makes me sound really hard doesn't it? A real tough guy!

What I mean is, I keep getting drawn back to it. And I keep thinking about it. I'm not watching it and cursing at the screen every second or anything like that.

I sit and I watch it. And when it ends I think "I didn't like that."

But then it comes back into my head. And then I think "I'll give it one more go".

I honestly can't get my head around it. Usually when I dislike something I forget about it and never bother with it again. But not this.

Real Hero

Yeah, I get a real kick out of that. Makes me sound really hard doesn't it? A real tough guy!

What I mean is, I keep getting drawn back to it. And I keep thinking about it. I'm not watching it and cursing at the screen every second or anything like that.

But then it comes back into my head. And then I think "I'll give it one more go".

I honestly can't get my head around it. Usually when I dislike something I forget about it and never bother with it again. But not this.

I dunno sounds like you just like it

TedHub

Banned

Sounds like maybe you are intrigued by what it was saying but not how it was executed? I can see that

Weird.

Perhaps the issue here is with your criteria for "liking" something.

If by "like" you mean something that you find pleasurable, palatable, and entertaining, then I can understand why you don't "like" episode 8.

I don't "like" episode 8 either, in that sense. It's not "fun" to watch. It's discordant and slow and creepy and unnerving. It conjures a lot of emotions that we don't usually associate with "like."

But it is fascinating. Maybe that's why you're continually drawn to it.

So throughout the last month I managed to finally finish season 2; I have watched the first 9 or so episodes years ago and just couldn't get myself to finish it due to the dip in quality and me having tons of shows that I needed to get to. Now that I've finished it...damn that finale was crazy. I can't exactly call it a terrible season - 40% of it is great but the middle part after the reveal is just boring and drags for too long. Not surprised that many people hated season 2 (especially compared to S1 which I watched twice).

I skipped Fire Walk with Me cause I just couldn't wait any longer to start the new season, and I also heard that it's bad (or half of it at least?). I did watch a "recap" though. Will probably get it & the missing pieces soon. Anyway...

I absolutely love the new season from the get go. binged all 8 episodes in a week, but I just wish I experienced part 8 w/o hearing all the buzz about it, since that prepared me a bit but still...I feel like it's the closest thing we'll get to a new "Lynch feature film", with elements from Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. and Eraserhead. I hope we get another episode or two like part 8.

Not long until we get the proper Cooper back everyone!

Hopefully

Setting myself up for disappointment, I'm loving the Dougie story so far

Only one more sleep until the return of the return!

Will we go back to the present day, resume the 1950s story, or something completely different? Maybe we'll have a Lewis and Clark episode.

I skipped Fire Walk with Me cause I just couldn't wait any longer to start the new season, and I also heard that it's bad (or half of it at least?). I did watch a "recap" though. Will probably get it & the missing pieces soon. Anyway...

I absolutely love the new season from the get go. binged all 8 episodes in a week, but I just wish I experienced part 8 w/o hearing all the buzz about it, since that prepared me a bit but still...I feel like it's the closest thing we'll get to a new "Lynch feature film", with elements from Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. and Eraserhead. I hope we get another episode or two like part 8.

Then you made a mistake. You should love FWWM.

120v

i really recommend it, IMO totally sets up the tone for season 3.

and besides, it's like a 90 min movie. not much of an investment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom