• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon and Albert's scenes were the highlight for me, and I just learned about what hapenned to Miguel Ferrer. Rest in peace.

That last scene with Gordon saying he's worried has been completely recontextualized for me after that and I almost teared up. Glad Albert is kinda taking the spotlight and being overall awesome.

That said, that was definitely not the future I envisioned for Audrey and Dougie is gonna Dougie.

In Season 2, Cole remarks that Shelly is the kinda gal who makes him wish he spoke a little French. In this episode, his date is French.

Dunno if that means anything or if it's just another easter egg.

Alright Ghosts here you go.

Audrey + Badalamenti

Cut it a little short since I didn't want to repeat the theme and it was already too long anyway, and added a little bumper at the end. :)

I love you, Sheriff Chumley. It's so much better. So dreamy.

Axiom

I have really enjoyed this new season of Twin Peaks - but episode 12...fuck. That was hard to sit through.
I never want to watch that episode again. I will actively tell people to skip it and move to 13.

It was an episode of the floor getting swept without the phone ever ringing. Hell at least that was shot from an interesting angle and was one take. Nothing here even had that going for it.

Blue Rose, Truman and Ben, the Sarah Palmer stuff - they were good scenes, The French girl scene is good in isolation, but in tandem with the rest of the episode, fuck.

One bad episode and the thread completely transforms.

The first half was good while the second half was the show's first real misstep for me. The Twitter hype made it worse since I thought this was going to be a shit gets real episode. It also hurts since there are only six episodes left and it sucks to have what precious time we have left wasted.

Game of Thrones won the battle this week in the Sunday Night Wars, we'll see if next week's episode can pick up the slack.

The Audrey scene is what drags the episode down, a little too much over indulgence there I think. Doesn't help that it just leaves you cold in the water after literal minutes of wasting time.

The rest of the episode was ok, goes to show how much Dougie truly brings to the series even if he's not Coop yet.

For weeks, speculation (including my own):

"Episode 12 is called Let's Rock??? Holy shit, Coop's comin' home people!"

What actually happens:

Dougie Jones appears for a few seconds and fails to catch a ball.

One bad episode and the thread completely transforms.

The first half was good while the second half was the show's first real misstep for me. The Twitter hype made it worse since I thought this was going to be a shit gets real episode. It also hurts since there are only six episodes left and it sucks to have what precious time we have left wasted.

Game of Thrones won the battle this week in the Sunday Night Wars, we'll see if next week's episode can pick up the slack.

The hype suggests to me that cast members were believing this to be a different episode. The hype really made no sense, especially referencing Candie (still the subject of commercialsIhate.com's hidden quote as of typing).

Madchen Amick hyped episode 10 with remarks about Shelly's marital status, but we didn't get that until Ep 11. Perhaps there were some last minute switch-arounds?

Spaghetti

(Tangentially) Speaking of Badalamenti, was that music during the Blue Rose stuff reused music, or something new?

Either way I was really into it.

The hype suggests to me that cast members were believing this to be a different episode. The hype really made no sense, especially referencing Candie (still the subject of commercialsIhate.com's hidden quote as of typing).

Madchen Amick hyped episode 10 with remarks about Shelly's marital status, but we didn't get that until Ep 11. Perhaps there were some last minute switch-arounds?

I was thinking the same thing, actually. I feel like the hype had to have been for the Oct. 1st and Oct 2nd events. There's just no way anyone could think Audrey showing up like that would justify the "THIS GONNA BE CRAZY" hype.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, really didn't feel that episode. I was actively watching the clock the whole time. I think it was kinda the point though lol.
I really expected "Let's Rock!" to come from the band announcer from the Roadhouse though.

I considered that as well. Especially with Kyle hyping it and only showing up to badly play catch. Perhaps they thought this was the next step of the Dougie story but instead...

I will defend the first half of the episode though, and in a different context the scene with Diane inputting the GPS coordinates would have been hype worthy.

Chumley

Banned
I considered that as well. Especially with Kyle hyping it and only showing up to badly play catch. Perhaps they thought this was the next step of the Dougie story but instead...

I will defend the first half of the episode though, and in a different context the scene with Diane inputting the GPS coordinates would have been hype worthy.

Had to have been some kind of episode switch, Kyle hyping this up makes no sense whatsoever.

The only thing that I didn't like is that Audrey is apparently contractually married to a milquetoast loser.

I expected so many better things for Audrey. Never this.

It's like everyone's shadow-self escaped the Lodge at this point. Hence Audrey = horrible, Bobby = the man.

She survived a bomb explosion. Everything else is gravy.

Pete died protecting this miserable woman. Who, come to think of it, reminds me of Catherine. Berating her husband, sham marriage, openly sleeping around...

She survived a bomb explosion. Everything else is gravy.

It's like everyone's shadow-self escaped the Lodge at this point. Hence Audrey = horrible, Bobby = the man.

Pete died protecting this miserable woman. Who, come to think of it, reminds me of Catherine. Berating her husband, sham marriage, openly sleeping around...

It's like we're in Bizzaro Twin Peaks. Nega Peaks.

Most local Audrey fans I've chatted with over the years, some who watched with me and some who had simply already seen it, thought Audrey would either become a wealthy philanthropist or actually work for the FBI.

#NotMyAudrey

A lot of people expected Audrey to be the billionaire behind the Box in New York.

Speaking of which. I am fine with loose ends and things being ambiguous, but I am still curious about that fucking Box.

The fact that they are actively looking for her lover is even worse. I mean, she's basically bullying her husband to help her look for the guy who's banging his wife.

I know we don't know the whole thing yet but c'mon, at least Catherine tried hidding it out of respect/lingering affection for Pete.

I'll need to watch the scene again, but the track in the show sounded slower and much more moodier to me. It'd be pretty cool if they are the same composition, though.

While still on the subject of music, do you have any idea what the track is at the end of this recap video?

https://youtu.be/OAz99ygeK5A

Also in Laura's murder scene in FWWM (WHOOPS - SPOILER - Laura Palmer gets murdered!)

I'm definitely not sure re: the previous track. It's familiar but I can't find it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
He did? I didn't know that.

An episode or two ago we saw a picture of Mr. C in the glass box room as one of the first images taken by the devices, and before then we knew the one guy from Mulholland Drive's Diner Scene was in contact with someone related to the glass box and he's working with Mr. C.

Calling it - Audrey 'dies' next episode and we're soon introduced to a racially insensitive stereotypical Asian businessman with hilarious facial hair.

Pretty surprised it wasn't a piece of music composed for FWWM. Swear I can hear the Twin Peaks "duuuuuuuhhhhhh-nuhhhhhhhhhh" chord in there.

I'm sure there's some mash-up going on, before mash-ups were a thing. Angelo invented the mash-up!

Wow. In the last 2 episode they've made me dislike both Shelley Johnson and Audrey Horne.
Why not have Candie kill Coop next episode and make it a hat-trick, you fucking monsters?!

Do we know who Billy and Chuck are?

Slow episode. That scene with the French woman was classic wanky Lynch.

Wow. In the last 2 episode they've made me dislike both Shelley Johnson and Audrey Horne.
Why not have Candie kill Coop next episode and make it a hat-trick, you fucking monsters?!

Do we know who Billy and Chuck are?

Slow episode. That scene with the French woman was classic wanky Lynch.

billyandchuck_crop_exact.jpg

What's up with the isolated events/scenes they've been having this season? Like the girls discussing Clark at the end, what's the point?

Probably has to do with the drug plotline.

I bet someone makes a supercut movie version of this season that takes out all the roadhouse scenes and tries to trim things that go nowhere like the interchangeable Jacoby scenes. Unless that Audrey scene ends up actually going somewhere later, that can go on the pile too.

Yuck, why even watch art if it has to 100% cater to you? Art is about someone else's point of view, not yours. The beauty is finding art you find agreeable, not forcing it to be in line with you. Also, how disrespectful to the artist. You will only find art you like if you let artists create things they want to create. Just stop watching the thing. It're really not hard. I guarantee you will find something else you like elsewhere.

I really, really hate the talk of "this thing is too long and goes nowhere and should be cut to be much shorter". This isn't criticism. It's dull nonsense. Even moreso when we haven't seen the whole thing. It seems whenever someone wants to cut a film or show to make it shorter, it's strictly about plot. "This plot could have been told quicker". Yea, of course, there is nothing enlightening about that idea. You could also read a summary of narrative art and get the plot really quick that way. It's not all about the plot. And certainly not with Lynch. For decades Lynch as indulged slow, deliberate scenes. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But they have always been his style. That isn't going to change. He loves to subvert expectations, (call it trolling if you want, but there is a difference between that and subversion) And suggesting a shortened version would make all of that very not David Lynch.

Yea, I thought Part 12 was kind of boring and is easily my least favorite part, but it very clearly was setting up a lot of things. Audrey's plotline is just starting. There will clearly be more from her. Maybe not a lot, but considering what that scene was about, and how it was connecting to an earlier plotline, there is more to it. It's also intriguing that Richard was not mentioned, even though Audrey lives in or near Twin Peaks. That raises a lot of questions.

We learned more about the Blue Rose program and the addition of Tammy and Diane will have bigger implications. Not to mention Diane now knows the coordinates to Twin Peaks. Will she give that to Mr C. Also how soon will the FBI make it over there? And Diane knows about Las Vegas. Which means so does the FBI. The plotlines are a little more tied together.

We also know Miriam is receiving care at the Hospital and Ben knows about Richard. Frank also has Cooper's old key and he's going to tell Harry about it. That could lead to a few things.

Sarah Palmer seems to be receiving otherworldly transmissions still. "Men are coming" will have a payoff.

I would have enjoyed a faster pace, like Part 12 which had perfect pacing to me, but this was only 1 of 18 parts. I'm not going to freakout about it. Just be disappointed for a week, and probably feel fine with this Part on a binge watch.

Ok, can we build a summary of current incomplete plot arcs? Just in an impotent attempt at second guessing what next week will be about.

• Ben's humming sound
• Jerry's woodland misadventure
• Dougie getting over the amnesia
• The double header in Vegas
• Anthony's upcoming attempt on Dougie's life
• Audrey's search for Billy
• Chad 2 Badd
• Richard's whereabouts & apprehension by Truman
• Jackrabbit's Palace
• Steven, Becky & Gersten's situation
• Crazy lady in the car with vomiting passenger making it to wherever they were going
• Sky Ferreira's gross rash
• Where in the world is Shadow Self Agent Cooper?
• Ray & Jefferies
• The Woodsmen
• The Buenos Aires box
• Who did the FrogMoth enter in Part 8
• Where is Big Ed & James
• Who or what is Red and where is he taking Shelly
• Diane: friend, foe or doppelganger?

Please feel free to edit and add plot points i've missed

superfly

Billy is referenced at the end of the episode where someone runs into the diner and says "where's Billy" or something to that effect.

Either part 7 or 9 I can't remember!

Solo

I think last night stings even more because we followed up the best episode of the season, episode 11 (yes, better than 8), with the worst/only bad episode of the return so far, episode 12.

Billy is referenced at the end of the episode where someone runs into the diner and says "where's Billy" or something to that effect.

Either part 7 or 9 I can't remember!

Oh yeah! Great memory.

The scene with the continuity error where people are adamant it's a Lynch masterplan and not a complete balls up.

Flipyap

It's like we're in Bizzaro Twin Peaks. Nega Peaks.

Most local Audrey fans I've chatted with over the years, some who watched with me and some who had simply already seen it, thought Audrey would either become a wealthy philanthropist or actually work for the FBI.

#NotMyAudrey
A philanthropist? Talk about a fate worse than death. Audrey was a weirdo who was barely in touch with reality. Season 2's sudden attempt to turn her into a well-adjusted adult basically destroyed the character.
This Audrey is an evolution of her original incarnation, the selfish spoiled asshole. It's what made her fun to watch, not her misadventures in activism and hotel management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom