• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean Billy? The assumption is that he's the guy who owned the truck that Richard used and who was supposed to rendezvous with Andy. EDIT: and it was at the R&R diner right at the end of the ep.

Yes "Billy" is indeed who I meant. So she's fucking the dude who owned the truck her son used when running over that kid ... wow

James has so far only shown up for 10 seconds to awkwardly stare at Shelly right?

This is amusing to me since he was one of my least favorite characters of season 1 and 2. He has to have a larger roll than that though.

Yes "Billy" is indeed who I meant. So she's fucking the dude who owned the truck her son used when running over that kid ... wow

This is amusing to me since he was one of my least favorite characters of season 1 and 2. He has to have a larger roll than that though.

I hung out with James Marshall and I can confirm...

He definitely does.

sappyday

I wonder what the over/under is on Donna even being mentioned.
None at all. If they didn't bring back the actress from FWWM then I doubt that Donna has any importance in the story. I could be wrong, after all I didn't think Johnny would be back.

Maligna

Banned
Seems my post got the thread in a tizzy. Apologies for causing drama. I'll explain more...

For me, Twin Peaks is largely about a certain look and feel. I fell in love with the show because of its atmosphere. But this season just feels sterile and lacks warmth.

There are glimpses of that old feel in the new series and I appreciate them... but you gotta understand that these small flashes of classic Twin Peaks that I'm seeing are just a minuscule moment of happiness that I get in a generally frustrating and disheartening 60 minutes of television. I can't get too hyped for the good moments because all I can think about is how overall disappointed I am.

The whole exercise just leaves me in a disappointed mood generally, and 90% of my enjoyment of this season comes from talking about it with my co-hosts on my podcast afterwards and not from the actual show itself. And when we talk, for me it's basically to commiserate with my friends about how let down I am.

I've got a lot of feelings attached to this series and how long I waited for it to return, and my disappointment and apprehension at how much time is left for them to make it good or wrap things up gives me actual, physical stress.

We said this in our most recent episode, but even though season 2 had bad story lines at least they were more entertaining to watch on the screen. It was humans interacting with other humans, while this season feels like most scenes are two or more people in a room staring at each other and talking about drama that we aren't actually being shown.

I don't enjoy complaining. I really wish I loved this season, I do. Being disappointed in Twin Peaks is the last thing I wanted.

I had heard that was some drama back in the day regarding Boyle, Fenn and Lynch. Curious if that has anything to do with her absense. Her storyline was pretty tied up at the end of season 2 though so ending her story there seems pretty easy to do.

That being said ... at least a name drop letting us know how she is.

AND WHERE THE HELL IS BIG ED!?

Real Hero

I had heard that was some drama back in the day regarding Boyle, Fenn and Lynch. Curious if that has anything to do with her absense. Her storyline was pretty tied up at the end of season 2 though so ending her story there seems pretty easy to do.

That being said ... at least a name drop letting us know how she is.

AND WHERE THE HELL IS BIG ED!?

We heard about ed and some gunshots, hopefully he shows up next and Norma will finally say something too

Oh man I wish we could do this kind of thing on GAF: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6r05oy/s3e12_results_of_the_postepisode_survey_overall/

[S3E12] Results of the post-episode survey (Overall score: 5.8)

Top 10 one-word summaries:
1. Audrey (273)
2. Boring (82)
3. Slow (63)
4. Filler (39)
5. Disappointing (38)
6. Sarah (32)
7. Frustrating (31)
8. Jerky (26) / Turnip (26)
9. Meh (24)
10. Shit (18)
Bonus words: Pointless (13), Billy (12), Lynched (12), Dull (10)

We heard about ed and some gunshots

Which could have been related to the original drama though. Just a name drop is all I want. Even if it's to let us know she died in a horrible car crash after James left her for another woman for the 20th time.

EDIT: damn your stealth edit ... I"m responding to nothing haha. (for those wondering, he said Boyle was removed from the film anyway)

I missed his name drop, though I thought he was confirmed for this season.

Blader

I had heard that was some drama back in the day regarding Boyle, Fenn and Lynch. Curious if that has anything to do with her absense.

Boyle was dating MacLachlan during S2 and scuttled a Cooper/Audrey romance, which Fenn thought was a stupid turn for the show, so that probably created some bitterness. Lynch recasting Donna for FWWM probably strained things with Boyle even more.

Some interviewer asked him before the season started about whether or not Donna would show up, and Lynch said, "You'll have to ask Lara Flynn Boyle about that." So it doesn't sound like there's any love lost between those two.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Somebody suggested that the motorcycle accident James experienced might've killed Donna in the process. It's a bit of a stretch but I admit I was wondering why James got quiet after an accident when he seems fine, accidents can be traumatic but it seemed a bit disproportionate. But it'd make more sense he got quiet after that if Donna had passed away in the accident with his motorbike.

big ander

Moira Kelly was the superior Donna, anyway.

remain thoroughly baffled that anybody thinks this. FWWM donna fucking sucks and is useless and personality-less and is only there to be a minor player in laura's story. Boyle-Donna embodies the essence of the TV show as much as Dale.

Linkin112

remain thoroughly baffled that anybody thinks this. FWWM donna fucking sucks and is useless and personality-less and is only there to be a minor player in laura's story. Boyle-Donna embodies the essence of the TV show as much as Dale.
Cannot agree more. Moira Kelly as Donna didn't feel right at all to me, not just due to being used to Lara in the role either.

Speaking of Lara, I remember finding her so attractive in Twin Peaks and then later Men in Black II, but damn did she mess herself up with plastic surgery in recent years. Looks almost unrecognizable.

nachum00

After reading the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer I like Moiras portrayal of Donna a lot more. I think Laura's death really changed her so FWWM Donna works for me.
Not saying one is better than the other but I think people are too hard on Moira.

big ander

Cannot agree more. Moira Kelly as Donna didn't feel right at all to me, not just due to being used to Lara in the role either.

Speaking of Lara, I remember finding her so attractive in Twin Peaks and then later Men in Black II, but damn did she mess herself up with plastic surgery in recent years. Looks almost unrecognizable.
Don't know what she looks like now but yeah between MIB2 and Twin Peaks I had a major crush on her as a teenager. Beyond that though on my rewatch this year I found her acting to be the best of the core kids, she's so over-the-top melodramatic it becomes simultaneously heartbreaking and hilarious. it's perfect. Such a missed opportunity that her and MacLachlan's relationship t-boned the show and kept her slightly removed from its legacy in the years that followed.
After reading the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer I like Moiras portrayal of Donna a lot more. I think Laura's death really changed her so FWWM Donna works for me.
Not saying one is better than the other but I think people are too hard on Moira.
I guess I get that. (Personally I haven't read any of the books and can't imagine ever changing that because every description makes them sound totally distinct and basically like fanfic from people connected to the show to me. But I get it, ymmv.)

Moira is pretty widely liked by the hardcore in my experience. Lara Flynn Boyle is ace as Donna in the pilot and season one, but by season two she wanted her to be a completely different person and then messed up her face.

Lara couldn't, by the time of FWWM play high school Donna any more. No way no how.

Slaythe

It's the first time this season that I actually feel bad thinking back on an episode.

I disliked episode 5 and 6 greatly, but I just "moved on".

This one was really dreadful and I can't explain it. I have the Audrey scene coming back to haunt me and makes me cringe during the day.

=(

I'm not even mad about it, I know that was a troll episode and that's fine, but man it took a toll on me.

Lara-Flynn-Boyle-after-plastic-surgery-20.jpg

I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but yeah. It's gotten worse too with the collagen

The only characters I'm genuinely interested in them addressing that haven't appeared or been mentioned at all are Leo and Wyndam Earle. After Lynch unceremoniously gave them throwaway scenes in the season two finale, I'm curious if they'll ever be acknowledged again. Especially Leo. I wonder if Shelley just stuck him in a nursing home after she and Bobby got married.

Airola

When I originally watched Twin Peaks for the first time (for me I watched it in 2010), I was apprehensive to watch Fire Walk With Me because of the terrible word about it online, even recall reading some people saying to skip it. But I loved the series so I decided to watch FWWM, and... I never understood the hate. I actually liked the film quite a bit.

For me finding out that people hate the movie was a huge surprise. I saw it around 1995 and it became the best movie I have ever seen and it still remains the best. I had no internet to see the criticism towards the movie so I just didn't know.

But yeah, I think it came from somewhat same place than the hate for this season. Expectations just weren't met. But then again, I didn't expect that kind of a movie either, yet I loved it so much that I watched it every day for quite a while as I had it recorded on VHS. And even so, with this season even if I had been able to get into FWWM despite it being different from the series, I had big trouble with this season during the first two episodes. So maybe I didn't like those episodes because I expected there to be at least some sort of a mish-mash of the old series and the movie, but as it turned out it was different from both of them. Even the Red Room sequences felt way too "sterile" or something like that.

I've been on board with the series since episode 3 even though there still are some things I dislike every now and then. But really, I can understand the views of those who still are disappointed because I felt that too for a couple of episodes.

I even like the Season 2 lull more than most even if I actually do dislike some of the subplots in it.

Yeah, me too. There is still this certain type of feeling in those episodes that feels warm and friendly.
And the sawmill subplot actually becomes interesting the first time during those episodes everyone seems to hate. I personally couldn't stand that plot in season 1. It has pretty much always bored me more or less and the late season 2 manages to make it interesting.

The only characters I'm genuinely interested in them addressing that haven't appeared or been mentioned at all are Leo and Wyndam Earle. After Lynch unceremoniously gave them throwaway scenes in the season two finale, I'm curious if they'll ever be acknowledged again. Especially Leo. I wonder if Shelley just stuck him in a nursing home after she and Bobby got married.

Earl was killed by Bob I thought and I'm assuming Leo would face charges since he wasn't comatose

Shauni

I don't see how Leo could get out of that trap alive, so he's probably dead

Linkin112

I don't see how Leo could get out of that trap alive, so he's probably dead
In the original script for the Season 2 finale before Lynch rewrote parts of it, Briggs was suppose to go back with Hawk and fine Leo. He smiles after seeing them come to save him, but in the process lets go of the rope. Gunfire and screams from Leo would've been heard and that was it, so I'm just going with he's dead despite that scene never being filmed.

Airola

I'm not sure why you have issues with my having the opinion about how "the show would have been worse if it was more of a copy of the original".

I guess I think it would've been better if you had said "it might've been worse if it was more of a copy of the original" instead of "it would have been."

But that doesn't really matter and that could very well be what you actually meant. And even if you didn't it's not a big issue for me. And really that's just kinda stupid of me to pick on words like that.

And to be fair, the exact same thing would also go for people who think this would've been better if it would've been like the original. It basically all depends on the writing. It could've been shit too.

But yeah your opinion isn't that big of an issue for me. Something that has been irritating a bit for me, not only by you but before too in discussions about this season, but it's not that big of a deal. I'm just glad we still have several episodes of Twin Peaks to watch :)

Airola

I partially agree, but I think some scenes really add a lot. Especially the extended stuff with Laura and her family, I think it highlights Laura's dilemma better that she does love her mother and father and how horrific a thing is that's happening to her which is kind of lost in the final film. Also the uncut Convenience Store scene is a LOT better than the weird mish-mash they did in the final film.

For me the laughing part in that family scene was quite unwatchable. The laughing was very awkward to watch. Cringy, or whatever kids these days say.

But yeah, that Convenience Store scene was amazing. I think the David Bowie part had good stuff in it too, but some of the alternate takes with him were a bit worse than what was used in the movie. I would've wanted to see the scene play out with the same fury than what the scene in the movie had. Bowie is way more intense in the movie than he is in the alternate takes.

And I was glad the "shit came out of my asshole" moment was cut from the movie. That's one example where Lynch's genius mind is lost on me. That would've ruined the whole mood completely and not in any sort of "nice contrast" way.

mittelos

On the Audrey scene, listening to the Idlethumbs Rewatch podcast, one of the guys described the scene in a way that I've been feeling but unable to put my finger on, that it feels like being in a nightmare. The way it feels like it's on an endless loop, meaning, Audrey keeps asking/demanding to leave, and Charlie keeps putting her off, even at the end when he finally agrees, only to put it all off again with the call to Tina. Like if the scene kept playing, she would have shifted the conversation back to leaving, with Charlie finding another reason not to. The other thing that makes it feel that way to me, Audrey never moves from her spot during the entire scene- even to get her coat (she does at least have the coat in her hands from the beginning).

AoM

For me the laughing part in that family scene was quite unwatchable. The laughing was very awkward to watch. Cringy, or whatever kids these days say.

But yeah, that Convenience Store scene was amazing. I think the David Bowie part had good stuff in it too, but some of the alternate takes with him were a bit worse than what was used in the movie. I would've wanted to see the scene play out with the same fury than what the scene in the movie had. Bowie is way more intense in the movie than he is in the alternate takes.

And I was glad the "shit came out of my asshole" moment was cut from the movie. That's one example where Lynch's genius mind is lost on me. That would've ruined the whole mood completely and not in any sort of "nice contrast" way.

The learning Norwegian scene is great. The three actors have great chemistry, and it's clearly meant to be a source of light in the thick darkness. But I can understand how the length of their enjoyment may cause you cringe.

And the scene with the bellhop is worth it alone for the ambiguity of his other statement.

Airola

This thread just goes in cycles, we've had this exact conversation many times over now, and I'm sure it'll happen many times over too before the ending even.

It's kind of exhausting, to be honest.

Well, in a sense it's just like Twin Peaks: The Return. Dougie comes doing his thing and we get the roadhouse performers and another long scene, and then it happens again... and again.
And people get exhausted with it :D

I love Dougie though, he can go in whatever cycle he likes even if it lasts for the rest of the season :)

AoM

What statement?

He doesn't really say "are you the man" even though that's what the subtitles say, if that's what you mean.

I know. I guess I should say the ambiguity for me.

We'll see whether it's fixed in the Criterion release.

anaron

What @ Lara Flynn messing up her face in season 2? That shit didn't happen until the mid aughts.

Regardless, everyone pretty much hated Boyle on the show and she's proven herself to be a nasty person in general. While I prefer her as Donna, there's something very sinister about how she played her that always weirded me out.

EdmondD

Donna saying "You're my daddy" over and over again is one of the worst scenes in Twin Peaks. That shit is burned into my brain. Although she not a favorite character for me I though both actresses did a good job with her I just don't like that one scene.

Shauni

In the original script for the Season 2 finale before Lynch rewrote parts of it, Briggs was suppose to go back with Hawk and fine Leo. He smiles after seeing them come to save him, but in the process lets go of the rope. Gunfire and screams from Leo would've been heard and that was it, so I'm just going with he's dead despite that scene never being filmed.

Interesting, never knew that

Tarantula bites are like bee stings, there's no way Leo would have died.

Well, it was a pretty ineffective trap then?

EdmondD

I think Leo died. I don't know doesn't seem like they were interested in returning to his character. Bob destroyed Windam's soul pretty much. I think his story was done. Someone suggested that maybe his soul was used to make Dougie I think which was an interesting theory.

I guess I think it would've been better if you had said "it might've been worse if it was more of a copy of the original" instead of "it would have been."

But that doesn't really matter and that could very well be what you actually meant. And even if you didn't it's not a big issue for me. And really that's just kinda stupid of me to pick on words like that.

And to be fair, the exact same thing would also go for people who think this would've been better if it would've been like the original. It basically all depends on the writing. It could've been shit too.

But yeah your opinion isn't that big of an issue for me. Something that has been irritating a bit for me, not only by you but before too in discussions about this season, but it's not that big of a deal. I'm just glad we still have several episodes of Twin Peaks to watch :)

No prob. I can understand the sentiment of being irritated by comments from this show also. It's like this season is causing the fan base to pile up these emotions until they need to burst, with my trigger being "this isn't Twin Peaks". I really didn't want to come across as a dick though, so sorry to anyone if it seemed that way.

Is it Sunday yet?

I think Leo died. I don't know doesn't seem like they were interested in returning to his character. Bob destroyed Windam's soul pretty much. I think his story was done. Someone suggested that maybe his soul was used to make Dougie I think which was an interesting theory.

Kinda what I mean, when I mentioned Wyndam. I just want them to address what or why Bob was stealing his soul

On the Audrey scene, listening to the Idlethumbs Rewatch podcast, one of the guys described the scene in a way that I've been feeling but unable to put my finger on, that it feels like being in a nightmare. The way it feels like it's on an endless loop, meaning, Audrey keeps asking/demanding to leave, and Charlie keeps putting her off, even at the end when he finally agrees, only to put it all off again with the call to Tina. Like if the scene kept playing, she would have shifted the conversation back to leaving, with Charlie finding another reason not to. The other thing that makes it feel that way to me, Audrey never moves from her spot during the entire scene- even to get her coat (she does at least have the coat in her hands from the beginning).
Audrey is trapped in this terrible relationship and the scene is meant imho to make us feel trapped there with her. Much as Coop was trapped in the lodge. I think there are thematic parallels. The scene I thought did a great job of establishing her relationship with Charlie, which is I think the point of it.

Still haven't rewatched the episode though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom