• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wasn't really buying it before but after this episode I'm definitely subscribed to the theory that time is all kinds of fucked in Twin Peaks, all the Bobby and Shelly stuff in 13 only makes sense if you place it before last weeks episode, Ed's reflection glitching out at the end, Mrs Palmer watching the TV on loop without seemingly noticing. I guess the hints have been there all the way through but I kinda can't imagine Lynch confirming it any more clearly than he did in this episode.

I assume that means that things like the woman crying at James' performance, the random conversation last week, will be contextualised later on.

No idea why or if it's even important, but it's made all the Twin Peaks stuff in the series so far way more interesting in hindsight...maybe that's the only point of presenting it this way.

I would rather showtime give money to lynch+frost to make a new tv show, than just lynch

I'd like one more film before he retires.

Tho I also think I'm not much keen on modern Lynch in general as both this and Inland Empire are kind of duds for me. I like all the other stuff I've seen (Elephant Man, Eraserhead, Mul Dr., Blue Velvet, Lost Highway)

big ander

Holy shit have you heard how cool the song from the conga line opening scene is when it's slowed down?

https://soundcloud.com/mark-hoogland-28756542/tp0313

Some more EZ listening that makes a bold prediction that I'm not sure I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOXAhd-HQQ&feature=youtu.be
The conga music is my favorite piece of new soundtrack music after the badalamenti piano piece dougie hears with the mitchums. Hearing how it changes at different speeds makes it sound even more like an experimental piece Neu! or This Heat would make, or even some Brainfeeder type of producer. Wasn't listed in the credits though, hope it shows up on an OST.
I wasn't really buying it before but after this episode I'm definitely subscribed to the theory that time is all kinds of fucked in Twin Peaks, all the Bobby and Shelly stuff in 13 only makes sense if you place it before last weeks episode, Ed's reflection glitching out at the end, Mrs Palmer watching the TV on loop without seemingly noticing. I guess the hints have been there all the way through but I kinda can't imagine Lynch confirming it any more clearly than he did in this episode.

I assume that means that things like the woman crying at James' performance, the random conversation last week, will be contextualised later on.

No idea why or if it's even important, but it's made all the Twin Peaks stuff in the series so far way more interesting in hindsight...maybe that's the only point of presenting it this way.
Yeah I came around to this this week. Before I presumed it was just Lynch's editing style and his deciding to amp up the weirdness of the town but now with how many messed up figures we've seen and the thoroughly disjointed progression of time I have to assume Mr. C escaping the lodge has cause some imbalance and that, because Twin Peaks is in an area where the membrane between worlds is thinner, the town has gone completely out of whack.

Blader

I don't think Sarah watching the same boxing clip on a loop without noticing was supposed to indicative of some fucked up space-time things happening in the town. I think it was just Sarah being so miserable and zoned out on booze that she's not even watching what she's watching.

big ander

I don't think Sarah watching the same boxing clip on a loop without noticing was supposed to indicative of some fucked up space-time things happening in the town. I think it was just Sarah being so miserable and zoned out on booze that she's not even watching what she's watching.
Agreed but between Ed glitching in the window and the absence of a logical timeline and figures like Red and Jerry going mad in the woods and the sick girl in the car, I think the effects of the lodges have spread. 25 years ago people would hallucinate something odd for a moment if they were in the right place at the right time. Now the unknown seems to have seeped into the entire town, and everybody is subject to supernatural horrors.

grumpy

I would rather showtime give money to lynch+frost to make a new tv show, than just lynch

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's such a sadness that we'll never get a "Gordon & Albert investigate stuff" spinoff show. To be clear, something like that was never announced or even hinted at, just my wishful thinking.

I've posted about this before, probably a month or so ago but fuck. If any of you ever get the chance to see Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks, please go. Please keep an eye on them playing live in your area. It is seriously an incredible show.

The way they close with this, is just completely fucking horrid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4200&v=G2Ows9RgtQw

One of the most hellish live experiences I have ever had. Their recreations of other tracks are seriously wonderful though. Just the way they close the show shook me deep.

kris.

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's such a sadness that we'll never get a "Gordon & Albert investigate stuff" spinoff show. To be clear, something like that was never announced or even hinted at, just my wishful thinking.

Miguel Ferrer passed away this year so yeahhhh.

:(

stuminus3

I don't really care about getting pie and coffee Cooper back, but I am disappointed that we're almost definitely not going to see Cooper come to terms with, and adjust to, the fate that's befallen him in a satisfactory way.
I think Dougie IS Cooper coming to terms with and adjusting to his fate in some way. Dougie lives the life that Cooper didn't get to have. It'll be sad if he "wakes up" and has to lose it all again.

I think Dougie IS Cooper coming to terms with and adjusting to his fate in some way. Dougie lives the life that Cooper didn't get to have. It'll be sad if he "wakes up" and has to lose it all again.

Janey-E loves him because of his newfound hot bod and money. Cooper is currently benefiting complete strangers. They're not his family, co-workers or friends. Cooper was set to have an amazing life in Twin Peaks before it was taken away.

Don't get me wrong, Dougie-Coop has been an absolute delight, but he won't be "losing" anything.

The adventures of Dougie are vastly better than. 99% of tv on air.

304-coop-thumbs-up-sonny-jim.gif

Hmm? This might point to the fact that we've lost sight of Cooper as a character due to Dougie's screentime. Cooper lost the love of his life, went to rescue her, and is now in a semi-catatonic state, thrust 25 years into the future with the intelligence and motor skills of a child in an unknown location with strangers after being subjected to the tortuous Black Lodge.

The only thing that would give Cooper the chance of finding his way to that state of mind his season 2 character longed for is for him to regain his consciousness and be reunited with people he knows and loves, like Gordon, Albert, Diane and some of the Twin Peaks residents.

The adventures of Dougie are vastly better than. 99% of tv on air.

That "better than 99% of other media" argument finds its way into so many threads that at one point it has to completely fall apart and contradict itself.

Yeah, erm, here to say that as both a huge Twin Peaks fan (I've read all the books and seen the whole thing including Fire Walk with Me a dozen times) and a huge Lynch fan (Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead in particular) I couldn't be happier with this season so far.

And yet it was nothing like I expected it would be.

But that, ultimately, was a very good thing, I've come to realise. We should've known that Lynch on TV again wasn't going to be the affirmative sequel everyone wanted or hyped up. Instead, in a world of nostalgia revivals (where characters utter the old catchphrases and recycle plot ideas past their sell-by date), Lynch has made a natural thematic continuation that has effectively evolved the mythology and created its own iconography.

Unlike so much of those nostalgia revivals, he's added to the canon and given us new toys to play with. Not just the old ones in new wrapping. In those terms, that's the job done for me. That it has divided fans is only proper. I find it just completely thrilling to sit down every week and have no idea what to expect. It's a beautiful thing.

Solo

I just finally got around to seeing it. I'm beyond happy that last week's dud was a fluke - Ep. 13 was fucking great all the way through.

Dougie <3

Hmm? This might point to the fact that we've lost sight of Cooper as a character due to Dougie's screentime. Cooper lost the love of his life, went to rescue her, and is now in a semi-catatonic state, thrust 25 years into the future with the intelligence and motor skills of a child in an unknown location with strangers after being subjected to the tortuous Black Lodge.

The only thing that would give Cooper the chance of finding his way to that state of mind his season 2 character longed for is for him to regain his consciousness and be reunited with people he knows and loves, like Gordon, Albert, Diane and some of the Twin Peaks residents.
Why can he not love Janey-E and Sonny Jim. Sonny Jim is, most likely, genetically his son. Why can't he truly love Janey-E? Love and happiness doesn't have to be in Twin Peaks or with the FBI crew.

I want him to recover. I want him to get back to what he does best. I'd like him to live in Twin Peaks... but I don't think he needs to.

That "better than 99% of other media" argument finds its way into so many threads that at one point it has to completely fall apart and contradict itself.

There is more than enough TV (shows, networks, etc) for a claim like that to be true of many many many things.

Like, Showtime alone is on for 168 hours a week. The best hour of each week, whatever it may be, is better than 99% of what Showtime put on.

Why can he not love Janey-E and Sonny Jim. Sonny Jim is, most likely, genetically his son. Why can't he truly love Janey-E? Love and happiness doesn't have to be in Twin Peaks or with the FBI crew.

I want him to recover. I want him to get back to what he does best. I'd like him to live in Twin Peaks... but I don't think he needs to.

I mean, considering that the season is about Cooper "returning" and how most storylines are independently investigating their own angle which should in theory lead to everyone converging in Twin Peaks... I would very much say that's what "Cooper's" story is about. Dougie isn't even really a character.

There is more than enough TV (shows, networks, etc) for a claim like that to be true of many many many things.

Like, Showtime alone is on for 168 hours a week. The best hour of each week, whatever it may be, is better than 99% of what Showtime put on

I just think it's a lazy argument, it's a pet peeve of mine, nothing more. Even if it were true, what does it mean? Twin Peaks is being compared to reality tv shows, Fox News and golf?

I think there is a good chance they do more Twin Peaks. It's clearly a world that Frost/Lynch like to imagine and dream about. And Kyle loves Cooper, he says it's his favorite character, and has shown eagerness to play Cooper again. Probably even more so considering he's playing a paired down version of that character, and an evil one.

mittelos

I don't think the Audrey scene is a dream, Billiy was mentioned by people in the roadhouse IIRC. And we know the roadhouse is real because Richard and Chad appeared there.
Also, the fact that ike the spike is a dwarf tells us that the appearance of a dwarf in a scene doesn't necessarily means it's a dream.
And of course,she and Charlie don't speak backwards.
My current theory is that she's not in a dream or a coma, but had permanent brain damage/memory issues from the bank blast. So, she woke up at some point in the hospital and was released, but has short term memory problems; so she forgets what she's doing/where she's going and gets stuck in these loops. Charlie is her therapist and they've got a marriage of convenience. I don't know though, the dialog about him "ending her story too" and her being "the little girl down the lane" and "ghostwood", I'm not sure what to do with.

My current theory is that she's not in a dream or a coma, but had permanent brain damage/memory issues from the bank blast. So, she woke up at some point in the hospital and was released, but has short term memory problems; so she forgets what she's doing/where she's going and gets stuck in these loops. Charlie is her therapist and they've got a marriage of convenience. I don't know though, the dialog about him "ending her story too" and her being "the little girl down the lane" and "ghostwood", I'm not sure what to do with.

I got the same exact impression, actually. Like he's trying to push her into finding the answers herself, and this isn't even close to the first time she's expressed this kind of confusion.

hughesta

Banned
I don't think Audrey is still in the coma. There's clearly something deeply wrong with her but it's more likely to be the result of some trauma (especially if the Coop/Richard theory is accurate) than it is a dream

Yeah I don't think she's still in the coma from before but she's trapped in something that isn't reality

Whether it's drugs or mental illness

Kadayi

Banned
I think there is a good chance they do more Twin Peaks. It's clearly a world that Frost/Lynch like to imagine and dream about. And Kyle loves Cooper, he says it's his favorite character, and has shown eagerness to play Cooper again. Probably even more so considering he's playing a paired down version of that character, and an evil one.

I'd like to see it, but it's really a case of whether Showtime considers The Return successful financially and also whether Frost/Lynch think there's a story to tell. I dare say the latter might be true, the former though ..who knows.

I'd like to see it, but it's really a case of whether Showtime considers The Return successful financially and also whether Frost/Lynch thing there's a story to tell. I dare say the latter might be true, the former though ..who knows.

CBS just said it was important in driving growth in the last quarter. They believe subscriptions have seen a very noticeable uptick because of the show. Plus they sold it to many overseas markets. It's safe to say it was a smart financial investment for Sho.

If the final few episodes of The Return pull things together in a satisfying way and tie up most of the essential plot threads, I think the series should end and go out on a high note.

It's always dangerous to say "just one more season!" and risk running things into the ground, after all.

If the final few episodes of The Return pull things together in a satisfying way and tie up most of the essential plot threads, I think the series should end and go out on a high note.

It's always dangerous to say "just one more season!" and risk running things into the ground, after all.

I'm fine with what ever Lynch/Frost want to do. Before this new series even came out, I just wanted them to make the show they wanted to make. Didn't matter if I liked it or not. They paid their dues. I feel the same about more episodes.

It's not like fans don't think they ran the show into the ground this season, or with FWWM, or season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom