• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp2417

Banned
So, is it scary as fuck? Like I won't be able to watch my most anticipated season ever?

I'm single now and I don't think I can handle some silent Hill shit and go and sleep well alone after...
It's not quite Fire Walk With Me or Inland Empire, but it's close. It's the scariest thing on television since the original Twin Peaks finale.

Try to hold the production to ransom because you think it can't be made without you - get replaced by a talking tree. I love David Lynch.

aravuus

Try to hold the production to ransom because you think it can't be made without you - get replaced by a talking tree. I love David Lynch.

Wow, you somehow managed to make the wait even more unbearable

5 and a half hours of trying to concentrate on work left

How the hell do I watch this in HD outside of the US? I can't use Hulu, Showtime, Amazon or SlingTV.

I'm currently in Russia but the only info I find is about a channel that airs episodes 1 and 2 tonight.

EDIT: This not available in your country thing is bullshit and a thing of the past. Just shut up and take my money.

Ashby

I knew this was gonna happen. I knew it was gonna be like stupid fucking Fire Walk with Me. Goddamnit. Replace Lynch with the people who did season 2 and start over.

Pretty disappointed so far, and I was one of the people who was keeping expectations in check. If I didn't know it was Twin Peaks, I'd have assumed it was some low budget film on the SyFy channel and stopped watching.

Finished all four episodes. I'll be seeing that thing from the glass box in my nightmares for a long time.

I knew this was gonna happen. I knew it was gonna be like stupid fucking Fire Walk with Me. Goddamnit. Replace Lynch with the people who did season 2 and start over.

This is such a terrible take

mjp2417

Banned
I thought it was scarier than FWWM, but I've seen that a few times now.

It's obviously a personal thing, but Bob lurking in Laura's room is still the single most disturbing thing I've ever seen in anything ever. I had nightmares for weeks after first seeing it and get the yips just thinking about it now.

dhonk

It's obviously a personal thing, but Bob lurking in Laura's room is still the single most disturbing thing I've ever seen in anything ever. I had nightmares for weeks after first seeing it and get the yips just thinking about it now.

Ah true that bit made my heart just about leap out of my chest, I think Mulholland Drive tops my Lynch scares list still?

Joqu

Does anyone have a gif of (episode one/two spoiler):
the floor of the red room moving up and down as broken pieces?

It just looked so cool.

Something like this? I'm not a gif expert

http://i.imgur.com/ARVg9oD.gif

Man I'm sorry this isn't your thing but jeez. The other person who wrote Fire Walk with Me, Robert Engels, is one of your season 2 people anyway.

Flipyap

Parts 1 & 2:
- I wasn't feeling these. It will probably get better on a rewatch, because the special effects took me by surprise way too hard and took me out of the show. I just couldn't believe how much it looked like a hobby project.
The gore scenes were largely pointless and looked more like creepy pasta photo manipulations than film special effects - and I don't think the excuse that it was supposed to look odd flies here because the gore scenes were some of the most conventional "horror" scenes in the show.

- The scenes where they talked backwards were really sloppy, especially the callback dialogue. The dialogue didn't flow like it used to and their pronunciation was messed up (in new, worse ways).
Michael J. Anderson's absense was felt immediately. Such a shame he turned out the way he did. This show needed his backwards speech skills more than his good looks.

- I wish they hadn't recycled dialogue. It's like they tried way too hard to be new audience-friendly with all the clip show elements and blatant explanations - hated the way the Arm spelled everything out. It also used really unimaginative terminology (... I mean, for a tree, he spoke pretty well, but still).

- I feel kinda bad for people who hoped that Frost's involvement would keep Lynch "sane." Hoo boy.

- Oh, and the color grading in the Red And Sort Of Purplish Sometimes Room was trash. It became even more apparent whenever they flashed back to the original show with its beautiful lighting and sets. Lynch, plz.

Parts 3 & 4:
-
In addition to going full-Eraserhead, this was some of the funniest and dumbest Twin Peaks nonsense EVER. This show keeps surprising me at every step. I'm fully on board now, but I don't think I'll ever stop missing the polish of Lynch's more "mainstream" pre-Inland Empire films. Pure heroin Lynch is interesting, I just wish it wouldn't look like (interesting) shit.

-
These parts are also when Doop finally started working for me. His wig stopped being distracting and he became actually menacing. Apparently throwing up garmonbozia, blood and god know what else can go a long way if you want to be taken seriously by me.

-
I'm curious how gold fits into all this. It's in the Rancho Rosa logo, Dougie turned into a gold sphere and Jacoby is playing a shovel alchemist.
That's in addition to previously established out-of-show connections: the Gold Box DVD set and Festival of Disruption's "INFUSE THE MACHINE WITH GOLD."

-
DUGE is going to need some new shoes.

-
"I hate cellular phones." You don't say. Is anyone not a creator stand-in in this show?

-
Helloooooooooooo.

-
Lucy ate evidence, but only once. So that's a relief.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yeah, episode 4 is by far the most Twins Peaks-like of the first four episodes. Will say full thoughts in a bit, going to catch up with the thread.

Slaythe

Wait, are people kidding or there are more episodes than the first two ??

I liked the first two quite a bit.

They added a lot of fresh things to keep this going without dreading on past plotlines.

The doppelganger one is a universally known theme.

Wish they would have concluded it this episode though.

Joqu

Wait, are people kidding or there are more episodes than the first two ??

I liked the first two quite a bit.

They added a lot of fresh things to keep this going without dreading on past plotlines.

The doppelganger one is a universally known theme.

Wish they would have concluded it this episode though.

Not in all regions but 3 and 4 are available on demand.

Indeed. Embrace Doop.

Oh yeah, Doop is good. I will embrace this.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
absolutely blown away after the first 4 episodes, this is so fucking good.

Crazy how low its scoring.A 16/100 from one site, seriously?

Mainstream critics ain't ready for something like this. One of the only times one can say this without coming off as being a hipster douche.

Well, fuck...
I guess I'll have to man up and say goodbye to sleep...
Are the 4 episodes scary or is it just the first one?

I came to ask your earlier question. lol i'm out.

Lynch scares freak me the fuck out and its those kind that give you chills the whole day.

I'm going to watch this when my heads in the right place. lol

Finished all 4 eps in one sitting and it was... incredibluerose.

And we still have 14 more episodes to go?! And ALL of them directed by Lynch?!? How could such a wonderful thing happen?!?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think this show will be divisive for a few reasons, but I am loving it all so far. Going through episode 4 still right now, took a break between 3 & 4, and a little over halfway done with 4.

I think people's general opinions of the show will be colored a lot about what they think in general of Lynch's works. Episode 1 is very slow-burn, and there's two sorts of main halves with some other small stuff sprinkled in. The scene in New York with the box and the man in Bullhorn who seems to have murdered a librarian in a dream. Episode 2, meanwhile, is primarily about Cooper in the Black Lodge and Dopple Coop, and I got a lot of Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, & Twin Peaks Black Lodge vibes from it all.

Episode 3,
the first bit feels like it's something out of Lynch's earlier work, not very out of vein with Eraserhead or the script for Ronnie Rocket, while the later stuff feels a lot like Wild At Heart to me.

Episode 4 goes to being sillier and more like the original Twin Peaks soap opera stuff, not quite soap opera but it's very close and reminds me of Lynch's sillier stuff. At least so far (about 30 minutes in).

As a result, I can see some people loving certain parts of the show and hating others, but as a person who's basically loved all of Lynch's productions I am in love. I really can't see this being a slam hit with all or even most audiences, but I think if you're a broader fan of Lynch you'll find a lot to love here.

It's not really what I expected at all. While the story is being continued and more TP vibes cropped up in episode 4, I'll be honest it doesn't really feel like the first two season. It feels like Lynch's sequel to everything he's ever done. I love it so far, I do honestly think it'll be his magnum opus still if it keeps up, but as this is basically the Lynchiast Lynch has ever Lynched (and Mark Frost seems to have embraced it and added his own quirkiness and made sure the lore is remembered), I feel it's going to split the general public. I can see people in love with it like I am, and I can see some others being super bitter and even hostile towards it.

This is a fucking ride.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm too tired to sift through my thoughts on the first two episodes, but, I will say that I enjoyed how Lynch took almost every single new character he introduced in the trailer just before the show aired and killed them already. I feel like that's a good sign, in a way? As pure of a statement as can be that he's the one calling the shots, and shouldn't expect anything when we're between episodes.

Also, remember to NOT post things from Episodes 3 and 4 until it airs on the network next week. We've already had a few non-tagged things slip through. Let people experience it as it comes to them.

SArcher

Banned
I have to agree with the 16/100 review. It's not outlandish to expect something resembling Twin Peaks from a Twin Peaks revival. This is Twin Peaks in name only as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom