• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
The guy was obviously planning this for a couple of weeks. His Twitter was slowly being filled in with photos of himself and weird random bits of info.

antonz

Ya I just watched that video. Crazy. Looks like he shot the girl first, about 3-4 times as she ran away. After that the video goes black and you hear 4-5 more shots.

Id guess Cameraman dropped out of instinct and positioned the camera deliberately to catch gunmen. Once Vester was done with the woman he turned his attention to cameraman

Mentally same people don't shoot people.

Then film it. Then upload it to twitter.

Gun control is an important issue, but mental health importance isn't a deflection, it's simply not taken seriously enough until it's too late.

So again the narrative in gun violence is "he was mentally unstable" instead of "we should really do something about the amount of guns on the streets".

mackattk

Thankfully Facebook took down that video.. It was all too real seeing it from his perspective. Watching from the camera man's perspective was totally different. I guess that is one reason why it is so easy for people to just quickly forget about things, and why no real effective changes happen.

Really wish I didn't watch it, it is going to stay with me for a long time.

Squalor

It speaks to the differences within the countries. Messing with the US bill of rights like so many think will be simple just isn't going to be taken lightly. It will face unprecedented scrutiny and resistance. It's borderline political suicide. So yeah, I'm not sure what Australia has to do with this. I'm not the one who mentioned the country anyway.
Guns have nothing to do with art. Your point is as invalid as it was before.

tim.mbp

In a situation like this, can Twitter/Facebook block the public from seeing a profile but still allow the user to see it as working normally? I'm just wondering if the police could use his postings to somehow get a fix on his location.

gaugebozo

The only thing I can see tipping pro-gun opinion is an incident where someone who is armed is attacked and his weapon doing nothing to help in the situation. And even then, I'm sure there would be excuses as to why the armed victim was unable to fight back. Obviously I don't want this to happen to anyone, but it's the only thing I can see that might have a chance at swaying the current gun control temperature.

This has already happened: 2012 Empire State Building shooting. Gunman shoots one person in a work related shooting, shoots at no one else, police shoot him and nine innocent bystanders. People who have monthly range time and more training/experience than a normal person could hope to get STILL fuck things up (there are other incidents like this), and people don't see the problem with, "Solve it with more guns!"

Gun right proponents see themselves as Buffalo Bill when the truth is something more like Yosemite Sam.

So again the narrative in gun violence is "he was mentally unstable" instead of "we should really do something about the amount of guns on the streets".

Why can't it be both? Our society has just as big an issue with how we deal with mental health as it does with guns. People can be bipolar or schizophrenic or any other number of things and we just throw them in jail, as if that's not going to just make them worse.

Kraftwerk

I've seen be headings, burning, stoning etc...

But the video of him walking up to them casually and waving the gun has actually made me sick. I almost threw up. It's feels too surreal... I feel guilty, as if I had no right to watch that video. Those people, in that moment... Jesus christ.

Fuck

That's so fucked up. Thank god I chose not to watch that video. And I believe the reporter and cameraman were engaged to other people.

Heartbreaking. I hope its the death penalty for that psycho.

Sponge

Banned
I live very close to the area where this happened. I'm horrified by everything I've read about the shooting. I can't handle this.

I don't see how anyone would WANT to watch that video he posted. I saw it accidentally because he posted it on twitter and feel like puking right now. And I only saw the first part when he was waving the gun and then start shooting Alison...

there are sick fucking people in this world that would want to watch it. we just witnessed one of them murder two people in cold blood for no good reason.

This isn't about guns (I'm against guns). It's about mentally sick people. The only way to prevent this from happening would be screening everyone's mental health. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. He could have used any other weapon in this situation.

So he worked at the station and left in 2013? This doesn't seem like something someone would have bad blood over after two and a half years...

It seems like they got along at some point

cover25.jpg

http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/leste...raman-photos-video-chase-gun-gunman-arrested/
Is that him though?...

sappyday

Did you watch the whole video? The Twitter one? How is that not completely derailing your day and fucking with your head? This madness is just unbelievable.

I didn't. I just saw him tweeting and saying he recorded the video and it was up on facebook. Before I know it the vid was on twitter and fucking has some stupid auto play and I saw the first few seconds.

The first person video is on youtube, very easy to find. It's insane. He holds the gun up to them for seconds just a few feet away and no one notices him. The video almost looks fake. But it's not. What an insane thing.

Honest question, why is it assumed it was mental health? This always seems to be the narrative for when these things happens and all it does it deflect the discussion.

People like guns. They want to keep their guns. So if you dont believe that the shooter is suffering from some sort of mental health issues then the only alternative left is that people have way too easy access to weapons. People dont wanna open that door.

This has already happened: 2012 Empire State Building shooting. Gunman shoots one person in a work related shooting, shoots at no one else, police shoot him and nine innocent bystanders. People who have monthly range time and more training/experience than a normal person could hope to get STILL fuck things up (there are other incidents like this), and people don't see the problem with, "Solve it with more guns!"

Gun right proponents see themselves as Buffalo Bill when the truth is something more like Yosemite Sam.

Yeah, that's a good point. I remember that clearly because I had actually just walked through the area about 20 minutes before that happened. Surreal to think about.

gdt

I saw the first couple of seconds. As soon as he pulled out the gun I had to shut it off. This is evil.

Why can't it be both?

Because one side will use mental health as a reason to advocate for less gun restrictions and laws.

People like guns. They want to keep their guns. So if you dont believe that the shooter is suffering from some sort of mental health issues then the only alternative left is that people have way too easy access to weapons. People dont wanna open that door.

That's exactly the door that should be opened right now.

Quake1028

It almost looked in the POV video that Alison turned to the right and saw the person a few seconds before he started shooting.

Damaniel

Banned
I don't see how anyone would WANT to watch that video he posted. I saw it accidentally because he posted it on twitter and feel like puking right now. And I only saw the first part when he was waving the gun and then start shooting Alison...

Yep, went to his Twitter account, saw the second POV video autoplay on there, bailed without watching as soon as I realized what it was. Nobody really needs to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom