• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecha

I don't really think his manifesto being released is bad. It paints a clearer picture of his mental state. He sounds like he's been a troubled guy for some time. His reasoning is all sorts of fucked up. I'm not sure how anyone isolates these people and finds them among the masses though.

I don't agree with them releasing it right now. Besides, I seriously doubt people who aren't criminal physiologists will gain anything from reading a killers manifesto. If anything it will only fuel the interest people have in the story/killer and get the news company more revenue.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
they're a news organization. their job is literally to make things public.

Information like that used to require passing the threshold "for the public good"; that line went out the window years ago as the media lost all respect for themselves and getting views and web visits became the number one priority.

Squalor

I'm speaking completely about the NRA crowd. Gun control people almost universally support mental healthcare. The people who come out and say "this is a mental healthcare issue, let's not bring gun control into this" are what I am talking about.

And I'm right.
The guy who you quoted was talking about the people in this thread.

You never specified that you were talking about NRA people.

And since the guy you quoted was talking about people in here, it seemed you were, too.

tkscz

That makes no sense. People are treating this like a huge deal. Idiots.

I didn't see it on the trends list, might want to check that out before believing that post.

OT: Man, to watch that shit go down is one thing, but to claim it was because of racism and homophobia, it's honestly something I've been fearing.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm not upset. I'm honestly asking for suggestions. Jesus. People keep saying that there needs to be a discussion about gun control but when someone asks for ideas on how to implement it in this clusterfuck situation this country is in without starting a civil war they get told to calm down. Dude I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm just asking for people to give ideas on how to start a disarming process beyond "ban guns". Sorry if you took my post as an attack because it wasn't. I just don't think people are grasping how big of a problem this is. We need to go beyond "I'm all in favor of a gun ban" because that just won't happen. Believe me, I wish we could just press a button and make them all go away.

Sorry, it's kind of hard to tell through the internet and I know your initial post wasn't an attack in any way shape or form (even when I was telling you to calm down). I agree, that's why I was asking. I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to gun politics or logistics.

Mecha

You don't want to support how news is handled by the mainstream outlets, but you created a link that still brings you to their breaking news?

I don't agree with them doing it, but if people are going to look at it I would prefer them to use a method that doesn't support the news outlet.

Cappa

Banned
Holy shit they just broadcasted the pov shooters video here on the news that's fucking nuts how they had no idea he was pointing a gun at them the whole time

I don't agree with them releasing it right now. Besides, I seriously doubt people who aren't criminal physiologists will gain anything from reading a killers manifesto. If anything it will only fuel the interest people have in the story/killer and get the news company more revenue.

This. The general public has no use for this information all this can do is fuel copycat killers.

If you take a look at the video and how he handled it all via social media, along with how he contacted ABC news, I don't think it could be any clearer how posting the manifesto is just a stupid idea.

Zabant

Information like that used to require passing the threshold "for the public good"; that line went out the window years ago as the media lost all respect for themselves and getting views and web visits became the number one priority.

Lets be clear, making MONEY was always the #1 priority.

If it's legal and makes a corporation money, they will do it.

Edit: HERE WE GO, just heard a comparison to FPS gaming on the news.

mackattk

Holy shit they just broadcasted the pov shooters video here on the news that's fucking nuts how they had no idea he was pointing a gun at them the whole time

Why the hell is this being shown on air?

I mean, I know why. It is just a sad state of humanity that this is happening for viewers and profits.

Need something new to trend on twitter: maybe #AllLivesMatter + #BanGunsAlready

Black people don't like this tag because it takes focus off the racial injustice of police brutality towards blacks. Kind of ridiculous to get in a frizzy over people saying it as they're not saying it to dismiss black lives to but to unite people as one human race and go beyond the color of people's skin but sadly racism is still a part of society. Don't dare say AllLivesMatter without expecting someone to quash you down in 10 seconds. #BePrepared

Jonm1010

Banned
The guy who you quoted was talking about the people in this thread.

You never specified that you were talking about NRA people.

And since the guy you quoted was talking about people in here, it seemed you were, too.
I really don't think my statement was that cryptic and if it was you could very well of asked for a clarification before going off the deep end pal.

This whole idea of "If XXX had a gun, they would have been able to protect themselves" is so fucking stupid. Guns can be useful if you find yourself in the middle of a fire-fight.

But we live in a civil society, not a war zone. You don't go around constantly scanning for threats and moving from cover to cover. If someone with a gun wants to kill you, they can just walk up behind you and shoot you in the head. No matter how good of a gun you have and no matter how much training you have, you are dead. And that is the way many shootings go. They are not firefights, they are ambushes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Holy fuck. can't believe a legitimate news outlet would broadcast that publicly.

The is the real life version of Jake Gyllenhaal's Nightcrawler.

Amory

I can't really blame the news, everyone is sitting around wondering why he did this, now we know.

I would agree. When it first broke that he had shot himself, many people were hoping he'd live so we could learn his motivations

well, these were his motivations. they're ugly, but of course they were going to be ugly

Lum1n3s

I saw it on the news here in Brazil.

God damn reporters I knew about it, I didn't need to see it.
I feel like every other country out there always shows the more hardcore stuff than here in America. I know it's true seeing as how when my parents watch the news on Univision or whatever they always show that hardcore stuff no American news station would play.

Sanjuro

I don't agree with them doing it, but if people are going to look at it I would prefer them to use a method that doesn't support the news outlet.

That's still counter productive to your own apparent agenda.

The whole point of the news is being able to obtain the information and facts as they unfold. Editing out specific content seems more of an agenda based ideal than releasing valid information to the public.

stufte

?

TmnEVbP.png

This whole idea of "If XXX had a gun, they would have been able to protect themselves" is so fucking stupid. Guns can be useful if you find yourself in the middle of a fire-fight.

But we live in a civil society, not a war zone. You don't go around constantly scanning for threats and moving from cover to cover. If someone with a gun wants to kill you, they can just walk up behind you and shoot you in the head. No matter how good of a gun you have and no matter how much training you have, you are dead. And that is the way many shootings go. They are not firefights, they are ambushes.

Great post. Must be quoted.

Cappa

Banned
Why the hell is this being shown on air?

I mean, I know why. It is just a sad state of humanity that this is happening for viewers and profits.
News here in Europe doesn't tend to censor as many things as they do in the US. (I'm an American now living in Europe)

Some things are off limits like isis chopping off heads but for the most part everything else is fair game.

Squalor

I really don't think my statement was that cryptic and if it was you could very well of asked for a clarification before going off the deep end pal.
It wasn't cryptic to you because you knew what you were talking about.

As I said, if you reply to someone who already has a specific subject and your post agrees with his, it's pretty obviously going to be interpreted as your talking about the same subject.

Sadly this has gotten to the point where I think the general populace legit do not care anymore that these are happening and have accepted this as a normality on the level of robbery or the occasional murder. Shit is honestly scary how little people care these days.

Oh boy, the man on CNN just compared his twitter footage to a first person shooter video game.

he wasn't blaming games, he was just saying the similarity between an FPS and the POV of the shooting is strikingly similar, pointing out how disturbing it is when you see something like this that's seemingly familiar to a large portion of the populace.

commedieu

Banned
That makes no sense. People are treating this like a huge deal. Idiots.

ARe you noticing that too? I'm speaking to a friend on gchat, he is FURIOUS over this....

I mean... I've seen a whole lot of people gunned down in the past months, a lot of innocent people.. but this one is really sticking out for people.

Its like the reaction from the Lion.

I'm speaking completely about the NRA crowd. Gun control people almost universally support mental healthcare. The people who come out and say "this is a mental healthcare issue, let's not bring gun control into this" are what I am talking about.

And I'm right.

The problem is they are also the same people who are against universal health care and want to see all social safety nets cuts so that the lazy will have to work at jobs that don't exist and the disabled will have to depend on the kindness of strangers and churches who have shown zero kindness to the disabled.

Viewt

Put everyone in this country to a psych eval whether they own a gun or not. Don't pass? You don't get a gun or have your guns removed. Someone live in your household who is a nut too...okay, bye bye gun(why you test everyone). People buy guns in this country like they're fucking candy. I want the black one for my trip to the store. I sleep with this shotgun under my mattress. If I ever need to go ballistic...I'll use this one that I got off some gang member. It's a raging epidemic. "I" does not indicate me...using an example.

That sounds really simple as an idea, but how would you actually accomplish this? How do you set up the facilities, professional evaluators and bureaucratic structure to actually do it? There are 235,000,000 adults in the United States. That's 235,000,000 in-depth psychological analyses. Let's break that down.

There are currently 297 cities in the US that have populations over 100,000 people. So to accomplish your plan, we have to put a facility in each of them so that we can actually accommodate every US citizen. To run an office like this and complete this task in any small amount of time, you'll need at least:

- 100 Evaluators
- 25 Supervisors/Office Managers
- 100 Support Staff Members

That's 225 staff members per office. Multiply that by the complete list of cities, and you're talking about 66,825 public servants (note that this doesn't even include oversight employees across regions and at the national level). And you'll have to either appropriate or build facilities for these people to work out of, which is its own logistical nightmare. But let's say you've got it - that's 29,700 evaluators trying to get 235,000,000 evaluations done - that's over 7900 evaluations per person. And these have to be in-depth, so you have to assume at least 4 hours of interaction between the evaluator and the citizen. Add in the time it takes to do the paperwork after analysis and it'd be at least an extra 4 hours of work before someone's file was "complete." So that's 8 hours per citizen per evaluator, so you figure, one a day, or 5 a week per evaluator. In total, that's 148,500 per week on a national scale, or 7,722,000 per year. So it'll take us over 30 years to do them all, not taking into account new adults who now have to be evaluated, new citizens, and of course re-applicants.

These numbers are pulled straight out of my ass, but I'd guess that they're probably extremely optimistic in every respect.

I mean, it's not like I disagree with you that it'd be great if there were no guns. I'd love that. But I honestly have no clue how to actually do it. Do you? I'm honestly asking, because I can't figure it out.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Read the whole thing, holy crap, this been festering in this guys mind for a while, he gave props to the Va tech shooter and said all kinds of disturbing stuff in that letter. this is a classic sociopath

Yup. And sadly there's some nut out there right now who will view this guy as an inspiration for his shooting. Never ending cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom