• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

J0lczWW.png

2 months old but he point stands.

Yep.

I said this earlier in the thread, but there is no breaking point anymore. We've accepted the inevitability of these tragedies and are now desensitized to them. There's nothing to push the population or politicians into enacting any kind of meaningful change anymore.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I'm not suggesting anything? I'm just asking how people think it would work. Calm down.
I'm not upset. I'm honestly asking for suggestions. Jesus. People keep saying that there needs to be a discussion about gun control but when someone asks for ideas on how to implement it in this clusterfuck situation this country is in without starting a civil war they get told to calm down. Dude I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm just asking for people to give ideas on how to start a disarming process beyond "ban guns". Sorry if you took my post as an attack because it wasn't. I just don't think people are grasping how big of a problem this is. We need to go beyond "I'm all in favor of a gun ban" because that just won't happen. Believe me, I wish we could just press a button and make them all go away.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The fact that the manifesto mentions appreciation for previous mass shooters basically dooms it to be an inspiration for others as well.

Yep.

I said this earlier in the thread, but there is no breaking point anymore. We've accepted the inevitability of these tragedies and are now desensitized to them. There's nothing to push the population or politicians into enacting any kind of meaningful change anymore.

We're actively telling people not to politicise them anymore, the conversation is over; the gun owners won.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So he was also gay and claims homophobia.

Can't wait for the NRA's response to this one.

So a gay black man kills two heterosexual white people. That's gonna fuel a few idiots.

Yep.

Unfortunately I agree. America is fucked.

Jonm1010

Banned
Violence will always occur, the idea is to remove unnecessary vectors of attack.
The statistics and science don't lie, if you remove guns there will be an overall reduction of deaths from violence and conflict and a virtual end of mass killings.

That's not to say the task, in a country with as many guns in the United States will be easy. It will be considerably more difficult and expensive to do the same thing as Australia did. But, the bottom line is, It can be done.

I'd love to see some studies on black market prices, I love bringing economics into the discussion because it's not often considered.

I was speaking from memory and on my phone but http://www.ibtimes.com.au/cost-ille...rocketed-criminals-now-do-gun-sharing-1378871 is an article Google popped up with.

I mean really it's simple though, as supply decreases, access is restricted, the cost/benefit equation - heck even the ability - of gun usage in crime drops. Spending a few thousand on guns for a robbery makes sense, spending 15,000(not to mention a decrease in dealers) makes less sense.

And the thing is with time, the market dries up further and yes alternatives will sprout up but they will never be a perfect substitute and thus society is still better off.

I don't really think his manifesto being released is bad. It paints a clearer picture of his mental state. He sounds like he's been a troubled guy for some time. His reasoning is all sorts of fucked up. I'm not sure how anyone isolates these people and finds them among the masses though.

Mecha

...why wouldn't you want to give ABC News a hit exactly?

The articles only purpose is to strike while the iron is hot and to get as many views as possible, disregarding the situation or the victims. I can't stand news outlets turning killers into 10 minute celebrities, and I don't want to support that style of "journalism".

Herbs

Banned
I don't really think his manifesto being released is bad. It paints a clearer picture of his mental state. He sounds like he's been a troubled guy for some time. His reasoning is all sorts of fucked up. I'm not sure how anyone isolates these people and finds them among the masses though.

Yeah, basically if it's in the publics interest to release a detail of a story it's okay to release. There was probably a long discussion by the editors or producers whether to proceed with publishing it and the made the right call in this instance in my opinion.

While we can see his reasoning is fucked I'm worried others won't. This could be fuel for someone else's agenda.

Zabant

So he says he was also gay and claims homophobia as well as racism as a cause for these killings.

I can already see the 'SJW' rhetoric on twitter.

coleco

Agreed.

Jonm1010

Banned
Just a thought. Would all the people harping on mental illness be happy if he was caught and was given a lenient sentence on the grounds of mental illness? I very much doubt it.
Most of those same people deflecting gun control talk and trying to focus on just mental health are also typically the same people against UHC, against Obamacare, lobbying to cut state budgets including healthcare, advocating longer prison sentences and harsher punishment.

Not all, but many. And they are simply using it as a conversation deflecter and their actions and views show that they really could give fuck all for mental healthcare.

Either it's a problem or it's not and if it is all options should be open for discussion. Including gun control.

Manifesto said:
Also, I was influenced by Seung–Hui Cho. That’s my boy right there. He got NEARLY double the amount that Eric Harris and Dylann Klebold got…just sayin’.

Well, fuck. Regardless if charade or delusion, the man was in a bad place.

Squalor

Most of those same people deflecting gun control talk and trying to focus on just mental health are also typically the same people against UHC, against Obamacare, lobbying to cut state budgets including healthcare, advocating longer prison sentences and harsher punishment.

Not all, but many. And they are simply using it as a conversation deflecter and their actions and views show that they really could give fuck all for mental healthcare.

Either it's a problem or it's not and if it is all options should be open for discussion. Including gun control.
I've been in here the whole time.

The same people who have been talking about potential mental health issues are also talking about significantly increased gun control.

Take your bullshit elsewhere.

ApharmdX

Banned
So he was also gay and claims homophobia.

Can't wait for the NRA's response to this one.

I hate to say it but maybe this will be the incident that serves as a lightning rod for gun control. "Gay black man buys a legal gun and shoots three white people on live TV alleging racism and homophobia."

Tell me that doesn't terrify mainstream America, maybe the level of fear can overtake their love of guns?

Oh, who am I kidding, they'll just buy more guns to "protect themselves" or maybe to strike back. And the cycle of death continues.

Jonm1010

Banned
I've been in here the whole time.

The same people who have been talking about potential mental health issues are also talking about significantly increased gun control.

Take your bullshit elsewhere.
I'm speaking completely about the NRA crowd. Gun control people almost universally support mental healthcare. The people who come out and say "this is a mental healthcare issue, let's not bring gun control into this" are what I am talking about.

And I'm right.

Sanjuro

The articles only purpose is to strike while the iron is hot and to get as many views as possible, disregarding the situation or the victims. I can't stand news outlets turning killers into 10 minute celebrities, and I don't want to support that style of "journalism".

You don't want to support how news is handled by the mainstream outlets, but you created a link that still brings you to their breaking news?

Just watched the video on the OP's link. Completly terrifying. The woman and camera where there, doing their normal job, never thinking that morning that would happen, and then all ends. Amazingly terrifying.
And nearly each week you hear this terrible news of similar things and its just sad and scary.

Im sorry but fuck gun lovers in america. This will never stop if theres not something done, and it never going to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom