• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Actually, it's way more clear cut then that and is what doctors use in most places where abortion access is not subject to bullshit rules, like in CA. The rest of the argument is non-doctors and scientists arguing semantics ie most pro-lifers. Their ignorance of simple reproductive biology and rejection of empiricism is amazing.

I agree. But trying to understand where he/she is coming from.

You're out of order! You're out of order!

you-re-out-of-order-o.gif
Everyone is out of order!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The movie could have many titles.

"The Table"

"Parliamentary Inquiry"

"Point of Order"

"Motion to Regard"

LOL.

On another note: as a pro-lifer, I love me some limiting of abortions. :)

Outside of life of mother/baby unable to survive without machines sort of thing.

Definitely a rarity on GAF, I know, but that's me.

(to counterbalance the incoming hate, I am against the death penalty, pro gay-marriage, for legalization of most drugs, etc.)

'Pro-lifer' is a complete misnomer; you're in favor of forced pregnancies.

mackaveli

Who is the lady next to the chairman? Seems to me she should take over the mic.

Yeah who is she? She seems to be the rule checker for the chair person. But man no one knows what is going on.

1 hr and 20 minutes.

How long does it take to vote?

If it comes down to the last 5 minutes? Is that enough? Or no?

Watson is awesome. Let him debate the appeal!

Also, is Wendy still having to stand and not lean? If she does, does the appeal fail?

Chris R

Also, I loved my visit to that building when I was in Austin last November. Great little space and lots to see. They didn't let us sit in the chairs though even though the Senate wasn't in session :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah who is she? She seems to be the rule checker for the chair person. But man no one knows what is going on.

1 hr and 20 minutes.

How long does it take to vote?

If it comes down to the last 5 minutes? Is that enough? Or no?

Unless they do a one at a time vote it would take no time at all. They need to hit midnight.

I missed the last 5 minutes, what did Senator Watson do?

He read from the rule book, like a boss.

Ah, okay, now I understand where the error was made. Ironically, the chair's refusal to recognize his mistake merely gives the Democrats more material on which to debate.

iammeiam

I can't believe they're willing to torpedo their other legislation in hopes of actually shoving this abortion stuff through, because clearly the Democrats aren't giving up. Assuming they ever get to the point of a vote, the galleries will riot and there'll be another delay to clear those out. They're running out of time.

MG310

I'm not gonna drop this mic but I'm gonna take these glasses off reaaaaaal hard. (and then put them back on)

Wallach

I missed the last 5 minutes, what did Senator Watson do?

He found the rule that stated that the member coming to chair when Watson started the debate over the appeal was not able to recognize any further points of order or motions, which he tried to do when Estes made the motion to table and he tried to put it in front of the body. They have no choice but to go through the debate before anything else happens now except inquiries.

Edit - I could see the bill getting pulled here.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I hope Senator Davis has used the restroom during all this in the minuscule chance she gets to continue on with her filibuster.

PogiJones

Banned
What do you call the tactics used to get this bill voted on?
Irrelevant to my claim. Filibusters are terrible regardless of the party or agenda.
Actually it is more like taking your ball, standing in the midst of everyone, and saying "come and fucking get it."

Avoiding a quorum is taking your ball and going home when you're losing.
Except standing in the midst of everyone doesn't stop everyone else from playing the game by the rules. In this case, it does. It's a poor-sport tactic used by both sides.
True, but if we're bound to have them, at least make a talking filibuster, so at least it's entertaining.
Fuck that procedural crap the US Senate has.
True.
They have their purpose though. Direct democracy and majority +1 for all legislative purposes are dangerous tools.
But that's when the separation of powers is for. It's the Court's job to decide when a majority legislature is in the wrong, not the job of a single legislator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom